PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: To Catch an Elder Brain

AthasianWarlock
2017-08-30, 10:51 PM
Hello all! This is my first forum post so forgive me if this is the wrong place. I am wondering if the minds here could help me with a question.

Next week our party will face an Elder Brain (psionic varient Lords of Madness) except the plane we are on gives it a +10 to SR. We use psionic transparency rules. I have a psion who is an egotist and I have access to the thrall power from 3.0 psionics handbook. I am wondering if there is a way to thrall the brain? My initial thought would be to do something like this:

Before battle: Store experience in thought bottle
Temporal acceleration Round 1: greater metamophosis to Zodar linked to synchronicity
Temporal acceleration Round 2: Moment of Prescience, psionic
Bend Reality give Elder Brain -8 to next save
Move (gain Focus)
Wish from zodar - Polymorph Any Object to change Elder Brain to Human use Moment of Prescience, psionic to beat SR
Next turn
Thrall (3.0 power)

If you are unfamiliar with thrall

Thrall
As true domination, except the subject is permanently
dominated if it fails the initial Will save. A subject forced to
take actions against its nature receives a saving throw with a
penalty of -10 to resist raking that particular action, but even
if it succeeds, it still remains your thrall despite its minor
mutiny. Once a subject of thrall makes a successful saving
throw to resist a specific order, it makes all future saving
throws to resist taking that specific action without a penalty.
The only way to dissolve thralldom is through the
successful manifestation of another thrall power, manifested
with the intention of freeing the thrall, or the successful use
of the spell Mordenkainen’s disjunction.
XP Cost: 5,000 XP.

(True domination specifies humanoid- which is why it needs polymorphed)

My only question is that it seems likely he will win the same against either the thrall or the wish. It seems like he has to be unconsious. For this I was thinking I could psionic revivify him so he would be unconsious and therefore unwilling. But I believe since it works as raise dead it could resist. Does anyone have any clever ideas for how this could be accomplished?

Thanks.

daremetoidareyo
2017-08-30, 11:18 PM
You need to catch yourself a thrall with illithid bloodline and kin mastery feats. Or dark chaos shuffle some hardy duskblade type into it.

Them you can command it with a turn attempt and force it to lower its saves and sr

AthasianWarlock
2017-08-30, 11:31 PM
You need to catch yourself a thrall with illithid bloodline and kin mastery feats. Or dark chaos shuffle some hardy duskblade type into it.

Them you can command it with a turn attempt and force it to lower its saves and sr

Our DM doesn't allow stuff from Dragon Magazine. But that would work.

daremetoidareyo
2017-08-31, 12:43 AM
Our DM doesn't allow stuff from Dragon Magazine. But that would work.

it's in the Dragon compendium, which is a book...that might be allowed?