PDA

View Full Version : Misty Step as a Bonus Action then cast a spell?

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-08-31, 12:16 AM
Another thread brought this up.
If I cast Misty Step as a bonus action can I still cast whatever regular action spell I want?

Same question with Healing Word I suppose. If I cast it as a Bonus Action can I cast whatever regular action spell I want on my action?

JBPuffin
2017-08-31, 12:18 AM
Another thread brought this up.
If I cast Misty Step as a bonus action can I still cast whatever regular action spell I want?

Same question with Healing Word I suppose. If I cast it as a Bonus Action can I cast whatever regular action spell I want on my action?

Bonus actions are just that - actions you can take as well as an action on your turn. You only get 1 bonus action per turn, but you can totally Misty Step -> Booming Blade, for example, or any other bonus action spell+action spell.

Rebonack
2017-08-31, 12:25 AM
If you cast a spell as a bonus action, any other spell you cast on that turn as an action must be a cantrip.

It's to prevent abuse with Quicken, basically. So you can't cast Misty Step and Magic Missile on the same turn, but you CAN cast Misty Step and Firebolt.

coredump
2017-08-31, 12:51 AM
Rebo has the right of it
JB is mistaken

rollingForInit
2017-08-31, 01:00 AM
Bonus actions are just that - actions you can take as well as an action on your turn. You only get 1 bonus action per turn, but you can totally Misty Step -> Booming Blade, for example, or any other bonus action spell+action spell.

That's incorrect. If you cast a 1-9 level spell with your bonus action, you can only cast a cantrip with your action. Likewise, if you cast a 1-9 level spell with your action, you can only cast a bonus action cantrip.

Sicarius Victis
2017-08-31, 02:02 AM
That's incorrect. If you cast a 1-9 level spell with your bonus action, you can only cast a cantrip with your action. Likewise, if you cast a 1-9 level spell with your action, you can only cast a bonus action cantrip.

That is also incorrect. If you use your bonus action to cast a spell, whatever its level, any other spell(s) you cast that turn must be cantrips. That includes casting a cantrip as a bonus action.

coredump
2017-08-31, 02:22 AM
Sicarius has the right of it.

Contrast
2017-08-31, 02:47 AM
That is also incorrect. If you use your bonus action to cast a spell, whatever its level, any other spell(s) you cast that turn must be cantrips. That includes casting a cantrip as a bonus action.

More specifically than that even, RAW if you cast a spell as a bonus action any other spell you cast on that turn must be a cantrip with a casting time of one action. I can't think of any situation where that difference actually matters but... :smallbiggrin: Maybe if your DM houserules in a cantrip with a multiround casting time or a cantrip with a bonus action casting time that you wanted to cast twice.

P202 of the PHB has the relevant rule for reference.

Eunostus
2017-08-31, 03:02 AM
So... That means that RAW, if you cast Shillelagh as a bonus action and then provoke an attack of opportunity, you can't cast shield as a reaction?

SharkForce
2017-08-31, 03:17 AM
So... That means that RAW, if you cast Shillelagh as a bonus action and then provoke an attack of opportunity, you can't cast shield as a reaction?

well, not on your turn.

it's pretty critical if you want to try and counterspell someone's counterspell of your regular spell as another example.

Kryx
2017-08-31, 04:04 AM
it's pretty critical if you want to try and counterspell someone's counterspell of your regular spell as another example.
Oh, wow! I feel stupid. I've allowed this a few times now too..

Sicarius Victis
2017-08-31, 05:46 AM

To be fair, I don't think it matters so much for you, since what you play might not even count as D&D anymore...

Zman
2017-08-31, 05:57 AM
Any regular Spell you want.... so long as it's a cantrip. Thules are pretty explicit about this point in the PHB. Only way you get to cast two leveled spells in a turn is by dipping Fighter2 for Action surge.

DevilMcam
2017-08-31, 06:01 AM
By RAW the restriction only apply when you cast a spell using a bonus action, so casting a regular spell, for example Hold person, would let you use your reaction to cast another spell on the same turn.
however you wouldn't be able to use healing word (or shillelagh) and then shield an Attack of opportunity

Kryx
2017-08-31, 07:37 AM
To be fair, I don't think it matters so much for you, since what you play might not even count as D&D anymore...
If I say it matters why do you think you need to dismiss me because of unrelated houserules? That's quite rude.

Kryx
2017-08-31, 07:38 AM
By RAW the restriction only apply when you cast a spell using a bonus action, so casting a regular spell, for example Hold person, would let you use your reaction to cast another spell on the same turn.
Ah, true, so I did have it right! The restriction is arguably arbitrary (Zman doesn't allow counterspell of counterspell from the original caster for example), but it is RAW.

DivisibleByZero
2017-08-31, 10:10 AM
Any regular Spell you want.... so long as it's a cantrip. Thules are pretty explicit about this point in the PHB. Only way you get to cast two leveled spells in a turn is by dipping Fighter2 for Action surge.

And even then, none of the spells you cast may be bonus action casting time, or you fall prey to the cantrip only clause.

You are allowed to:
-- Cast a bonus action spell and a cantrip.
-- Cast a level 1-9 spell and Action Surge to cast another level 1-9 spell or a cantrip.
-- Cast a bonus action spell and cantrip, and then Action Surge for another cantrip.

As long as none of the spells you cast had a bonus action casting time, you may also cast a spell as a reaction in that same turn, but the only spell I can think of off the top of my head that has a reaction cast and also potentially happens on your turn is Counterspell.

Corran
2017-08-31, 10:23 AM
More specifically than that even, RAW if you cast a spell as a bonus action any other spell you cast on that turn must be a cantrip with a casting time of one action. I can't think of any situation where that difference actually matters but... :smallbiggrin: Maybe if your DM houserules in a cantrip with a multiround casting time or a cantrip with a bonus action casting time that you wanted to cast twice.

P202 of the PHB has the relevant rule for reference.
Wow, wow....
Is that right???
I mean, can I not use a cantrip with my reaction during the same turn? (Like a BB OA from warcaster)
Away from book, but I would like to confirm what Contrast said, cause if true, it is ruining my masterplans :smalltongue:

Mjolnirbear
2017-08-31, 10:30 AM
Wow, wow....
Is that right???
I mean, can I not use a cantrip with my reaction during the same turn? (Like a BB OA from warcaster)
Away from book, but I would like to confirm what Contrast said, cause if true, it is ruining my masterplans :smalltongue:

Even if he's right, BB still has a casting time of one action. Warcaster lets you cast such a spell with a reaction but doesn't rewrite the casting time.

Tanarii
2017-08-31, 10:37 AM
well, not on your turn.

It's fine you allowed it. Counterspell is a reaction not a bonus action. You can cast it on your turn and also cast a leveled (non-can trip) spell.

Edit: okay /duh unless SharkForce meant you're casting a bonus action regular spell you want to prevent being countered.

Mellack
2017-08-31, 02:50 PM
Wow, wow....
Is that right???

Note it is on your turn, not round. If they move on their turn, you have no restriction. So it would only restrict you if you try to do all 3 on your own turn.

Contrast
2017-08-31, 05:13 PM
Even if he's right, BB still has a casting time of one action. Warcaster lets you cast such a spell with a reaction but doesn't rewrite the casting time.

Spells cast with Warcaster also need to have a casting time of one action so I'd agree the 'casting time' of the spell hasn't changed even though its functional casting time has been reduced.

As has been mentioned the restriction is only on your turn. Elsewhere in the round you can do what you like. Even things like warcaster and readied attacks or opportunity attacks don't matter due to the turn/round thing.

I hadn't considered casting a bonus action spell and then trying to cast Shield or Counterspell later on in your turn - I guess there is some relevance after all! :smallcool:

SharkForce
2017-08-31, 05:59 PM
It's fine you allowed it. Counterspell is a reaction not a bonus action. You can cast it on your turn and also cast a leveled (non-can trip) spell.

Edit: okay /duh unless SharkForce meant you're casting a bonus action regular spell you want to prevent being countered.

yup, that's what i meant. if you try to misty step on your turn (or quickened fireball, or whatever else if it is a bonus action spell) and someone counterspells you, you cannot try to counterspell that because it is still on your turn.

you could, however, still counterspell on their turn if they were to attempt a return fireball, for example.

naturally, this somewhat reduces the value of a sorcerer's quicken spell metamagic in a mage duel :P

JBPuffin
2017-09-02, 12:00 AM
If I say it matters why do you think you need to dismiss me because of unrelated houserules? That's quite rude.

A joke they didn't blue text.

Yeah, I had never read that line in the PHB - never had it come up, actually. That makes sense.

HEY WAIT! The example I gave was totally valid - you can Misty Step+BB specifically. The second bit, yeah that was wrong, but I can keep a shred of my dignity yet. Go me! :smallbiggrin:

Solunaris
2017-09-02, 01:54 AM
Wait, since it disallows you to cast another non-cantrip spell in the turn does that mean a Sorcerer could cast a Quickened Spell and then Ready Action to cast another spell at the end of the next character's turn?

djreynolds
2017-09-02, 02:55 AM
@JeremyECrawford Does casting a bonus action spell prevent reaction spells just on the player's own turn, or for the rest of the round?

Jeremy Crawford ‎@JeremyECrawford

Casting a bonus action spell limits your spellcasting options on your turn—no effect on an off-turn reaction. #DnD https://twitter.com/queerseer/status/721174131232747522 …

IMO, casting the shield spell or counterspell falls in line with a rogue sneak attacking with their reaction, its not on their turn.

So I think reaction spells or spells cast through war caster trump this, and can be cast once a reaction that is triggered on someone else's turn

SharkForce
2017-09-02, 03:17 AM
Wait, since it disallows you to cast another non-cantrip spell in the turn does that mean a Sorcerer could cast a Quickened Spell and then Ready Action to cast another spell at the end of the next character's turn?

http://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/combat/#Ready

When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs

nope. readying still requires you to cast the spell immediately.

not sure that was a deliberate interaction that the devs noticed and shut down to prevent cheesing the bonus action spell rule, but it is there.

edit: other methods of casting spells on a reaction should work fine on other peoples' turns, just to be clear. it is specifically the "ready an action" option that won't work, because you must cast the spell immediately, while it is still your turn. unless you're readying a cantrip with a single action casting time, that is. (also, it would ruin your concentration on anything else, as is also normal for readying a spell).

Solunaris
2017-09-02, 03:21 AM
nope. readying still requires you to cast the spell immediately.

not sure that was a deliberate interaction that the devs noticed and shut down to prevent cheesing the bonus action spell rule, but it is there.

Ah, of course I'd forgotten about that. The problem with moving up from 3.5 to 5e is that so many things are named the same or similar but function differently.

I'd imagine this was deliberate but the emphasis on rulings over rules would make this a notable exception to the rules not covering corner cases.