PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary interactions

Haydensan
2017-08-31, 05:13 AM
I've recently been invited to a one shot for level 11 characters and been permitted use of the latest favoured soul.

While picking my spells I ended up having both sanctuary and animate objects on my list. Would the attack roles of the objects break sanctuary or would they leave it up seeing as the objects are ordered then act independently?

I'm inclined and hoping for the latter :) does anyone know any other cool interactions for the sanctuary spell, be it using favoured soul or otherwise?

Citan
2017-08-31, 06:38 AM
I've recently been invited to a one shot for level 11 characters and been permitted use of the latest favoured soul.

While picking my spells I ended up having both sanctuary and animate objects on my list. Would the attack roles of the objects break sanctuary or would they leave it up seeing as the objects are ordered then act independently?

I'm inclined and hoping for the latter :) does anyone know any other cool interactions for the sanctuary spell, be it using favoured soul or otherwise?

It totally works by RAW, and RAI as far as Animate Objects go.
For spells such as Spiritual Weapon which specify a weapon attack, it obviously doesn't work.

For spells such as Flaming Sphere, Spirit Guardians, Moonbeam etc by RAW it works. Still check with your DM in case of.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-31, 08:15 AM
It totally works by RAW, and RAI as far as Animate Objects go.
For spells such as Spiritual Weapon which specify a weapon attack, it obviously doesn't work.

For spells such as Flaming Sphere, Spirit Guardians, Moonbeam etc by RAW it works. Still check with your DM in case of.

I think that you'll need to chose the order of the spells carefully for this, though. For instance, based on my own reading of Sanctuary, I would say that you'd need to cast Animate Objects or Flaming Sphere before Sanctuary for it to work. Since Sanctuary says "If the warded creature makes an attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature, this spell ends," I would rule casting something like Flaming Sphere would trip that even if it didn't affect a creature on the current turn, since you'd be "casting a spell" that can affect an enemy creature. But that would be heavily DM-dependent.

RSP
2017-08-31, 08:29 AM
Check with the DM. RAW, Sanctuary works with lots of non-attaching damage dealing, like Spiritual Guardians. However, a lot of DMs won't allow this, as the designers have stated the RAI:

"RAW: Sanctuary isn't stopped if an already-cast spell deals damage. RAI: A damaging activity ends the spell. #DnD https://twitter.com/gandhi39/status/758737949504614401 …"