PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewing Greek dieties

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-11, 08:08 PM
I'm intereted in how this would work. For a campagin I'm in, I'm playing a rogue who worships Nyx, the Greek Goddess of Night.
From what I hear, neither she, nor her offspring (more prominantly here, Thanatos<death> and Hypno<sleep>), get any mention in any sourcebook.

As a rogue, it doesn't matter much, and his religion is mostly flavor.
However, I was planning to multiclass to cleric at the next possible level up.

And so the discussion:
What alignment/favored weapon/domains/portfolios would you give these dieties?
Also, I would like to request that people who have actual knoweldge of aforementioned dieties post here, so I don't get the
"Death = LE, Scythe, Law, Evil, Death" - type response, becuase thats wholly unfitting to the Thanatos of Greek myth.

Also subject here: How would one homebrew a Domain? (Such as, say, a Moon domain?)
I'm pretty alien to homebrewing myself, and you guys come up with some amazing stuff, and thats why I'm asking.

Here is what I have right now:
<Now with more Fluff!>

NYX
Nyx (often spelled Nix or Nox) is the Goddess of Night, who resides in the Gates of Tartarus, her chronological opposite is Hemera, Goddess of Day. The two are not enemies in any way, shape, or form. They meet twice daily - once at Dawn and once at dusk. She is powerful enough to cow even Zeus.
The Goddess favors the clever and decietful, but is neither Evil nor Chaotic.
Her Clerics pray for spells shortly after dusk or before Dawn, when the world is still Dark, and the Goddess readies herself to meet Hemera for a few brief moments.
Her Holy Symbol is a depiction of a viel covering the moon. This depiction may or may not include the moon set within the Gates of Tartarus. The more elaborate symbol is seen as a symbol of Devotion.
Greater Diety, True Neutral
Favored Weapon -Dagger (its a cop-out, I know, better suggestions, please?)
Domains - Darkness (Her Brother is Darkness, as well as Night and Darkness being obviously two things to co-exist,
Moon (This is disputable.),
Protection (Night is the traditional time for warriors to break their warfighting. Dawn usually marks a return to battle for fighters. She also bears a place in the hearts and minds of criminals and fugitives.)
Trickerey (Nyx favors the cunning.)
Knowledge (many secrets are gathered as Darkness of Night blankets the Land.)
~~~~

Thanatos
Minor Diety - Chaotic Neutral
Favored Weapon - Longsword
Domains - Death, Repose, Chaos, Renewal

Hypnos
*still in my brain, somewhere*

brian c
2007-08-11, 08:25 PM
Before you consider homebrewing any domains, make sure you check crystalkeep. Right here (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Spells-ClericalDomains.pdf) they have a full list of all published clerical domains, which includes a Moon domain.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-11, 09:15 PM
"Darkness" and "Moon" certainly look attractive for a Night Goddess.
But setting that asside - what favored weapons, accesable Domains, and, most importantly, alignments are we looking at, here?

Matthew
2007-08-11, 10:37 PM
There isn't really a great deal of information to go on. Night is said to have sprung from Chaos, but she need not be of Chaotic Alignment, as the later traditions tend to neglect that aspect. However, her Cults were relatively few, so it's none too easy to say anything reliably. I wouldn't give her the Moon as one of her Domains, as I think I would want to keep that for Artemis.

Her associated counterparts are the Deities Darkness (Erebus), Day (Hemera) and Light (Aether). You probably need to consider these in relation to one another and to Apollo and Artemis.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-11, 10:44 PM
There isn't really a great deal of information to go on. Night is said to have sprung from Chaos, but she need not be of Chaotic Alignment, as the later traditions tend to neglect that aspect. However, her Cults were relatively few, so it's none too easy to say anything reliably. I wouldn't give her the Moon as one of her Domains, as I think I would want to keep that for Artemis.

Her associated counterparts are the Deities Darkness (Erebus), Day (Hemera) and Light (Aether). You probably need to consider these in relation to one another and to Apollo and Artemis.

I know that there isn't much to go on with Nyx, thats what makes wrapping my mind around he so difficult.

Apparently, though, Zeus is afraid of making her angry. She has GOT to be powerful.
Its not really uncommon for multiple dietyies of the same pantheon to share a domain (Wee Jas and Nerull both have Death domains).
In lieu of Moon, though, knowledge might be a good choice.

Also of note, in Greek Myth, the entire world is, directly or indirectly, sprung from Chaos. This lends to Nyx = Really powerful theory, as well as making sense to give her the moon domain. Someone had to have it before Artemis.

Matthew
2007-08-11, 11:29 PM
Sure, but what you have to bear in mind is that the myths are rarely consistant. They don't belong to a fixed form, they are just smatterings and versions that have survived down the ages.

Exactly why Zeus was afraid of angering Nyx is left completely unexplained; it might well be he is afraid of offending her. Zeus is an odd Deity, as he seems to fluctuate between 'one of the gang' and 'Overlord of the Universe'.

What I am saying is that there is no 'true' Nyx, there are just inconsistant representations of her. Sometimes she is conflated with Chaos itself as the First Principle from which all things are sprung and sometimes she is part of a linear progression, such as:

Chaos > Nyx & Erebus > Hemera & Aether

Certainly, she doesn't really do anything much beyond give birth to a number of other Deities.

Pagan Philosophy/Religion is a hard egg to crack, especially the later forms tha perceive all the Deities as expressions of the one Godhead embodied in Zeus.

If you want to create a consistant Nyx, you're probably going to have to create a consistant mythology.

C Harnryd
2007-08-12, 12:53 AM
Here is some more info on Nyx (http://www.maicar.com/GML/Nyx.html). The site is a bit hard to navigate but has a lot of details on Greek myths.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-12, 09:35 AM
Thanks, Harnryrd!

Also, check out the new post, now with more fluff!
Crunch as been added to taste - I never really liked smooth peanut butter.