PDA

View Full Version : AL Dwarf Barbarian Advice

Laereth
2017-08-31, 08:47 AM
Hi all !

The gaming store in town will start hosting Adventure League gaming nights two weeks from now.
I've been wanting since forever to join a game, but issues with distance prevented me from doing so,
this will be solved from now on.

What I'd like to play is a Dwarven Barbarian who would ultimately fight with two weapons a Warhammer and a Battleaxe.
I know that for a Barbarian the most optimized damage output is to fight with a two handed weapon, but I REALLY like the imagery
of fighting with two weapons (like the guy in front (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/91/44/f7/9144f78e92a695ee941d8c08bd707846.jpg)).

I just wonder how I should go about it:

- Start Babarian then dip to Fighter at level 2 for the fighting style
- Go Barbarian 5 ASAP, taking Dual Wielder feat at 4, and then dip Fighter

Thanks for the help guys !

smcmike
2017-08-31, 09:03 AM
If your goal is to fight with a battleaxe and a warhammer, you need the feat, so you should get that ASAP.

PeteNutButter
2017-08-31, 10:45 AM
Take Barbarian first level, and fighter second. Third can be either or.

At level 4, your group will probably downtime to level 5. At that point drop the fighter level (Just be Barbarian 5) until you hit level 6 to pick up the fighting style again. That way you will have extra attack at the same time as your companions.

For TWF, totem barb is the only practical option. Bear totem is the most common choice, but if you have a melee heavy party, Wolf is probably better. I'd go with stats like, 17, 14, 17, 8, 10, 8, so you can spend your second ASI for str and con.

Alternatively you could consider a more fighter heavy build, such as Barbarian 1/Fighter 5-6/Barbarian to 3-4. Personally, I am a fan of the fighter features beyond level 5, more than the barbarian features beyond 5. Also 3 rages per day is typically all you will need in AL.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-31, 10:53 AM
Fighter (Champion) 6 / Barbarian is what I would recommend. Figher gets you action surge, TWF fighting style, and an extra feat to pick up dual wielder. Barbarian from there adds some good features. Can always continue on fighter later, if you make it that far, for extra attack 2.

Specter
2017-08-31, 02:00 PM
Whatever you do, keep one of those classes below level 5. Your Extra Attack from both won't stack.

I personally recommend:
- Barbarian 1
- Barbarian 1/Fighter 1
- Barbarian 5/Fighter 1
- Barbarian 5/Fighter 2

From there, do what seems best for the team.

Laereth
2017-08-31, 02:36 PM
Whatever you do, keep one of those classes below level 5. Your Extra Attack from both won't stack.

I personally recommend:
- Barbarian 1
- Barbarian 1/Fighter 1
- Barbarian 5/Fighter 1
- Barbarian 5/Fighter 2

From there, do what seems best for the team.

That was my initial thought, as I'd like the benefits of the fighting style (losing damage on the off-hand is kind of a bummer) and Rage as fast as possible.
My main concern is that I'd be getting Dual Wielder at Character Level 5, when single classes are getting extra attack, and get my extra attack at level 6. The XP gap between 5 and 6 seems pretty big, then again I don't know how it plays out in AL maybe its less of a problem than I think it is.

Specter
2017-08-31, 03:38 PM
No build is perfect, but remember you already have two attacks by dual-wielding. Extra Attack at level 6 is not late.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-31, 04:38 PM
If Barbarian is the more important part of the concept for you, one option would be to just go Barb 5 first. Dual wielding is actually quite good on Barb 1-3. Even without the + strength to damage on the off hand, because you still have + Rage damage to it.

Compared to a Greatsword which would do 2d6 +Strength +Rage, dual handaxes would do 1d6 + Strength +Rage and 1d6+Rage. So it's like getting double the Rage damage. It's a little less than the fighting style, but it's honestly not by much. It's level 4-5 that things start two change when people start getting Polearm Master, Great weapon master, and Extra Attack.

At level 6 go Fighter to pick up the Fighting Ftyle for a nice boost. Level 7 go Fighter 2 for action surge which is just lovely.

Laereth
2017-08-31, 09:10 PM
If Barbarian is the more important part of the concept for you, one option would be to just go Barb 5 first. Dual wielding is actually quite good on Barb 1-3. Even without the + strength to damage on the off hand, because you still have + Rage damage to it.

Compared to a Greatsword which would do 2d6 +Strength +Rage, dual handaxes would do 1d6 + Strength +Rage and 1d6+Rage. So it's like getting double the Rage damage. It's a little less than the fighting style, but it's honestly not by much. It's level 4-5 that things start two change when people start getting Polearm Master, Great weapon master, and Extra Attack.

At level 6 go Fighter to pick up the Fighting Ftyle for a nice boost. Level 7 go Fighter 2 for action surge which is just lovely.

I'll probably end up using that solution. It provides the aestetics along with the third attack sooner.
Fighting with two-weapons when raging and S/B when choosing not to (unless it is advisable I rage when I get the chance ?)

With regards to Path, I'll be taking Totem. Bear is fantastic and will probably my choice, however I'm wondering if the Elk Totem might not be good considering I'll be a Dwarf with short legs ?

Gignere
2017-09-01, 02:33 AM
I'll probably end up using that solution. It provides the aestetics along with the third attack sooner.
Fighting with two-weapons when raging and S/B when choosing not to (unless it is advisable I rage when I get the chance ?)

With regards to Path, I'll be taking Totem. Bear is fantastic and will probably my choice, however I'm wondering if the Elk Totem might not be good considering I'll be a Dwarf with short legs ?

You do get +10 to movement as barbarian, if in medium armor or less.

Laereth
2017-09-01, 05:55 AM
You do get +10 to movement as barbarian, if in medium armor or less.

Doesn't this only come online at level 5 ? The Elk Totem would stack and allow me to "charge" (i.e. cover lots of terrain and engage the enemy quickly) when raging.
Maybe a move of 50 is overkill...

Dudewithknives
2017-09-01, 06:13 AM
To expand on options.

Subclasses.

For dual wielding Battlerager and Berserker are pretty pointless because you have a use for your bonus action already each round.

Totem is always a solid choice.

If UA is fine in your game, consider Storm Herald, the dual wielding eye of the storm could be thematic. Also Ancestral Guardian is broken as hell, the party will love you and you are borderline unkillable.

It kind if depends on how far your game will go.

If you plan to dual wield a Warhammer and battleaxe you will have to pick up dual wielder somewhere.

Until then dual hand axes are fine, and you can throw them if needed.

I would go Barbarian 5, fighter 2, then back to finish barbarian.

PeteNutButter
2017-09-01, 08:43 AM
Doesn't this only come online at level 5 ? The Elk Totem would stack and allow me to "charge" (i.e. cover lots of terrain and engage the enemy quickly) when raging.

Since you can throw your weapons, you won't be desperate for movement speed. I'd stick with Bear or if you have lots of melee Wolf.

ZorroGames
2017-09-01, 08:48 AM
Since you can throw your weapons, you won't be desperate for movement speed. I'd stick with Bear or if you have lots of melee Wolf.

So far in every gridded melee encounter every character has been within throwing distance of an enemy figure on the end of movement - and I use Dwarf characters mostly.

GlenSmash!
2017-09-01, 11:22 AM

Bear at level 3 is solid. The extra resistances become more important at high levels when you start to encounter Dragons, Balors, Archmages and such.

I've never played one of the short races, so I don't know how much that -5 speed really makes a difference. So i can't say much about that, And I've never tried the Elk 3 ability. Remember if you can't reach an enemy in one round you can always throw a Javelin or Handaxe to continue your Rage, and then close the gap in the second round.

Since you're TWF you'll probably want to avoid anything that has more competition for the bonus action, like Eagle 3, and Wolf 14.

Jamesps
2017-09-01, 11:24 AM
So far in every gridded melee encounter every character has been within throwing distance of an enemy figure on the end of movement - and I use Dwarf characters mostly.

Furthermore you've got very little reason not to use an alternate weapon (thrown or missile) for the first round since activating your rage will preclude attacking with your offhand.

You might even consider carrying around a maul for such a situation once you've got the dual-wielder feat. Then you can attack first round with the maul (or bow or whatever), toss it second round and dual-draw your primary weapons.

GlenSmash!
2017-09-01, 11:27 AM
If UA is fine in your game
I think this is for an Adventurers League Character so no UA.

It's a shame too. I think Zealot, and Ancestral Guardians barbs have the most interesting abilities.

Ancestral Guardian is broken as hell, the party will love you and you are borderline unkillable.

Hmm, what makes you think the AG Barb is unkillable? It seems good at protecting others, but has no more abilities to defend itself beyond the standard Barbarian abilities.

Zealot on the other hand is easy to heal, and can Rage while technically dead.

Laereth
2017-09-01, 11:54 AM
Furthermore you've got very little reason not to use an alternate weapon (thrown or missile) for the first round since activating your rage will preclude attacking with your offhand.

You might even consider carrying around a maul for such a situation once you've got the dual-wielder feat. Then you can attack first round with the maul (or bow or whatever), toss it second round and dual-draw your primary weapons.

Until I get Dual Wielder I was thinking of carrying a maul or greatsword for those first round of combat.
When I've got Dual Wielder I'll probably open-up with two-handed hits of a Warhammer, before drawing the axe.

But I guess I'll also keep a throve of javelins along, give them a little opener.

Jamesps
2017-09-01, 12:17 PM
Until I get Dual Wielder I was thinking of carrying a maul or greatsword for those first round of combat.
When I've got Dual Wielder I'll probably open-up with two-handed hits of a Warhammer, before drawing the axe.

But I guess I'll also keep a throve of javelins along, give them a little opener.

Seems a bit of a waste of the dual-wielder ability to draw two weapons a round, but I suppose if you're opposed to leaving the battlefield littered with your weaponry it makes sense.

Edit: Keep in mind you won't be able to equip yourself in a single round /until/ you get the feat, so it doesn't really work for the first 3 levels.

Laereth
2017-09-01, 12:24 PM
Seems a bit of a waste of the dual-wielder ability to draw two weapons a round, but I suppose if you're opposed to leaving the battlefield littered with your weaponry it makes sense.

Edit: Keep in mind you won't be able to equip yourself in a single round /until/ you get the feat, so it doesn't really work for the first 3 levels.

Just a pet peeve of mine. Some DMs are stiff and will make you leave stuff behind if you don't specify that you pick it up (even if your character wouldn't be dumb enough for that).

But its true that I might juice up a little more damage opening up with the maul.

mephnick
2017-09-01, 03:20 PM
Until then dual hand axes are fine, and you can throw them if needed.

Ugh, that reminds me of my other least favorite 5e ruling. Rage damage somehow doesn't extend to thrown attacks.

Like..no way being super pissed could ever make thrown axes hit harder..

The Shadowdove
2017-09-01, 04:08 PM
Alternatively, barbarian weapon + shield is a super strong team build.

Grappler / shover with shield master gives you half to no damage on dex saves vs spells and the ability to bonus action shove people for advantage.

Also, you can drop the weapon to grapple / drag foes into aoes while taking zero to minimum damage yourself.

djreynolds
2017-09-02, 03:12 AM
That was my initial thought, as I'd like the benefits of the fighting style (losing damage on the off-hand is kind of a bummer) and Rage as fast as possible.
My main concern is that I'd be getting Dual Wielder at Character Level 5, when single classes are getting extra attack, and get my extra attack at level 6. The XP gap between 5 and 6 seems pretty big, then again I don't know how it plays out in AL maybe its less of a problem than I think it is.

You said it. For now get this guy to 5th level as a barbarian.

For now have a big weapon, and two weapons for dual wielding, and something for S&B.

From levels 1-3 stay as a barbarian and dual wield with hand axe and light hammer.... it takes a few levels to become that guy in your picture.
Then at 4th level grab the dual wielder feat and now you use a battle axe and war hammer
Then at 5th level stay barbarian for that extra attack
Then at 6th grab TWF from fighter