PDA

View Full Version : The Reaping of Theras (IC Thread)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

blkhawk26281
2007-08-11, 08:26 PM
The evening sky is beginning to darken. The sounds of revelry begin to rise from a low murmer after the evening meal hour as the seventh day of the Festival of Freedom begins in the young new capital city of Perax in the Nation of Peraxia. The sounds of bards telling the tales of the final battle for freedom mingle with the first waves of drunken song wafting out of the numerous taverns surrounding the city square. The young wizards of the Towers of Three drift through the crowd, calling forth and shaping the living force of magic flowing through the city into the fires which light the market square. A piercing roar echoes through the throng as the first of the evening scouts departs the Ancients Yard, her shimmering lavender wings reflecting the fading light as a myriad of shafts of light bouncing off her scales onto the people filling the market and the dances begin. Men in the latest fashions twirl their ladies and sweethearts. The Elves wander here and there, sampling the goods of the market, some offering their voices to compliment those of the other races already singing their tales. Orcs stand here and there, some watching quietly, just waiting for the final notice of deliveries made to their ships waiting in the harbor until they return to them and the seas they have come to love. Others join the revelry, enjoying the extra potent spirits brewed by the Dwarves of Battleheart Home specially for tonights celebration. The city and her people celebrate and everything and everyone are at peace. The view through the wide window at the front of the Drooling Skulls second floor offer the best view of the market of any tavern in the city.
The serving maids have traded their simple brown togas, for ornate and embroidered colored togas, saved all year for this weeks celebrations, their feet a blur as they dance between the tables, flashing smiles and dodging groping hands as they begin clearing the evening platters and begin filling mugs. They open the side doors leading out onto the wide balcony overlooking the market square and some of the people inside walk outside to watch the celebration, others remain seated, but through it all everything and everyone are at peace...at least on the surface. Beneath it all, like a fell scent it wafts through the open doors, and up the stairs, it fills the room and sours the taste of the ale, wine, and mead. Strange that so many seem immune to the scent...the scent of foreboding...the scent of impending doom...the scent of death....and yet...the celebration continues.

13_CBS
2007-08-11, 08:59 PM
http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=59424

A white haired man sits amongst the revelers, a glass of fine wine in hand and a look of concentration on his face.

He was a curiousity. He had white hair, yet he was merely 30 years old, evident in his profile. He was not particularly muscular or strong, yet he exuded a firm aura of will, wit, and logic. He sat among the drunkards and braggarts, yet he did not join in with them, merely sitting there and concentrating.

If one could penetrate those almost emotionless eyes one could sense just a little bit of disgust and contempt in them. If one could penetrate deeper, one would know that this man, Aemos Savant, was a wizard. Not too powerful, not too weak...just a disgruntled wizard, wondering at why the Empire sent him here of all places.

He briefly noted that there was an odd smell in the air, but he casually dismissed it as one of his fellow partygoers.

dragon_masterd
2007-08-12, 08:45 AM
A Halfling In a Green traveling outfit sits by the bar calmly as he empties his pint of beer. You see that he has a bow around his back, and 2 daggers in leather sheaths around his belt. He obviously was a ranger.

13_CBS
2007-08-12, 11:55 AM
((So...where's everyone else?))

Whiplord
2007-08-12, 12:30 PM
OOC: Sorry, internet was down.

In one corner sits a young man with disheveled blonde hair. His robes looks dusty from travel, and the man himself looks weary from more than just his travels. He wears long flowing garments, and a silver necklace hangs down his chest. Presumably a cleric, but seemingly young for one of such profession.

Veritas studies the room around, largely trying to ignore the noise and bustle. I Just had to come into town on the festival day didn't I? he muses silently to himself. Veritas had never much liked crowds. Bad things could happen with so many men gathered. But nevertheless, this tavern was as good as any other in the town, and Veritas was tired.

He absently sniffed the air, taking in the aromas of the food and drink. The air was also tinged with the sharp smell of sweat that happens with every gathering of people. And something else... Veritas sat up with a start as he recognized the underlying scent. A smell he knows well. Too well.

dragon_masterd
2007-08-12, 01:06 PM
No one expects it, but this "Calm", "Timid", and Chaotic Evil Halfling ranger takes out his two daggers and threatens the bartender for 100 Gp.

Intimidate Check: [1d20-2]=3 :smallfurious:

blkhawk26281
2007-08-12, 01:25 PM
As the revelry continues outside on the balcony, those few remaining indoors become the focus of the few serving maids not swept up into the throng on the balcony.
A young human woman glides up to the elderly mans table and she starts a bit as she realizes he is actually much younger than his white hair suggested. "Refresh your wine for you, sir?"

Across the room opposite the balcony and adjacent to the stairs the bartender, a rather heavyset human with a bald head and small piggish eyes glances at the halfling threatening him with the daggers. With a smile and a slight chuckle he shakes his head, sending his heavy jowls to wobbling. "I'm afraid I won't be giving you any money sir, but I must say I enjoy a good laugh now and then and for that..." He reaches behind the bar and pours a tall mug of clear liquid, and slides it across the bar. "...a tall mug o me special brew. That oughta put you in a more festive mood." With that he turns and continues filling orders and cleaning up.

From the stairs a dust covered figure cloaked in heavy traveling robes brushes by the man standing near the entrance rubbing his necklace. With a slight grunt of irritation he moves past him and to the bar. Moving up near the halfling he urns and begins looking over the thinning crowd, from beneath his cloaks hood.

13_CBS
2007-08-12, 01:47 PM
The white-haired man briefly peers into the maid's face with strikingly silver eyes and gives only a nod, holding out his glass (and reaching into his moneybag if the wine needs paying).

blkhawk26281
2007-08-12, 02:28 PM
She smiles at the mans striking eyes and pours the glass full, accepting the copper piece she glances up to search for another less morose customer to focus her attentions on. Her eyes catch sight of the man in the cloak near the halfling and her eyes widen in surprise and a hint of fear dances through her hazel pupils before she twirls around, taking her pitcher of wine out of the room and onto the balcony.

dragon_masterd
2007-08-12, 02:34 PM
Belkar Nods his head with an angry frown on his face. "D*** Bartender. If I ever Come back here, as soon as he turns his back..." He says under his breath. Just to blow off some steam, he goes outside to try to kill an innocent Bystander

Whiplord
2007-08-12, 03:04 PM
After recognizing the stench, Veritas once again glances around the room, surveying the patrons around him. None seem to notice the stench... Either that or they simply had good control of their faces and postures.

His eyes roving over the bar, Veritas frowns at the little halfling's poor attempt to threaten the bar tender. He tenses, wishing to be ready if a fight breaks out. maybe to stay... maybe to run. Veritas didn't much like fighting. He settles back upon seeing the barkeeps deft handling of the situation. He smiles at the halfling's obvious annoyance at the reaction he received.

Finally his eyes come to rest on the cloaked and hooded man sitting near the enraged halfling at the bar. His expression narrows as he studies the man.

A suspicious figure if ever I saw one...

Shrugging, he raises his hand and beckons for a barmaid to come over, and orders an ale.

dragon_masterd
2007-08-12, 05:26 PM
Belkar comes back inside, looking content, and wiping the bloodstains from his dagger with a cloth. He walks over to Veritas, with a friendly smile on his face. Hello, I'm Belkar Bitterleaf, How are you? I'll buy you a drink. He calls for the maid and buys 2 mugs, and 2 gallons of ale. Those are for the road. He points to the gallon.

Whiplord
2007-08-12, 05:45 PM
Veritas's eyes momentarily widen as the halfling approaches him; though he quickly manages to recompose himself.

"Good evening sir Belkar... A drink would be quite nice, thank you."

At the offer of a drink, Veritas' hand changes from a beckoning motion to shooing one, dismissing the tavern maid who had started for him.

Veritas raised an eyebrow at the two large jugs of ale, but chooses to say nothing about it.

He returns his attention to Belkar, and inquires, "What brings you to these parts?"

Lucky
2007-08-12, 06:12 PM
((Sorry, haven't been feeling too well recently.))

Tor'qua Del'ack

A large man is seen wandering among the crowds, standing well above the average citizen. A large sword is strapped on his right shoulder, with his backpack hanging from his left. The metal of his chain mail seems to glisten in the fading light. A black, crescent moon rests on either temple, just below his unkempt brown hair.

He seems to wander without purpose, his eyes quickly moving from one event to another, starstruck with the proceedings around him.

13_CBS
2007-08-12, 06:33 PM
The wizard stares at the duo, a violent halfling and a young man who seemed to be some kind of cleric. Before he can decide to do anything, however, he finally notices the smell and finally tries to discern its location. He rises up, readjusting the cloth that covered his mouth and pulling his robes out form the chair. The burly man who lumbers in is casually noted.

dragon_masterd
2007-08-12, 07:29 PM
What brings you to these parts?[/COLOR]"
Oh...Business, you could say. I am looking for a group of adventures for a party.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-12, 08:38 PM
The bartender glances up from his mug at the halfling returning wiping his blades clean of what the tender prays isn't blood. He shrugs to himself and continues about the bar, pointedly ignoring the cloaked figure.

The barmaid veers away from the angry little halfling and his new found companion and instead turns to the tall young man with the unmistakable look of a new visitor to the city. She wanders up to him, smiling prettily and inquires as to whether he needs a drink.

The cloaked figures left hand slides up his wrist to itch a scratch..his gaze drifting over to the young man, and the elderly appearing gentleman sitting alone. His gaze pauses on the white haired man for a moment longer than proper and he seems to release a slow sigh. The tender notices the cloaked mans gazing at the young man and the elderly gentleman and coughs softly, gesturing for the young man to come closer. He then looks to the elderly man and gestures again. His head tilting to the far side of the bar, furthest away from the cloaked figure.

{13_CBS: Please roll a SPOT check}

13_CBS
2007-08-12, 09:43 PM
Rolling spot check:

[roll0]

blkhawk26281
2007-08-12, 10:54 PM
As the cloaked figure scratches his wrist the wizard notices a ring on his finger, it's center set with a half granite half ruby gem. The ring seems to tickle a memory of some forgotten lore.
As the image flows through your memories you immediately know it's meaning is not pleasant.

{13_CBS: roll KNOWLEDGE:ARCANA check}

13_CBS
2007-08-12, 11:00 PM
Knowledge: arcana check:

[roll0]

blkhawk26281
2007-08-12, 11:27 PM
{Knowledge check results sent via PM}

13_CBS
2007-08-12, 11:31 PM
The wizard's memory sparks and his eyes widen for the briefest of moments at the thoughts that rush into his head.

So...the Order is here. Though what they find from this hive of scum and villany remains to be seen.

I should keep close watch on this ring bearer.

The wizard acts mostly as normal, except that now his silver eyes flicker towards the Order member from time to time, keeping track of the mysterious one's every movement.

dragon_masterd
2007-08-13, 08:55 AM
Belkar looks into Veritas's eyes and says. "I've stated my business, whats yours?" He looks back down into his mug of beer.

Bronz
2007-08-13, 08:58 AM
http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=59462

A quite normal looking man also remains behind, though it seems he is quite drunk. The only markings about this man that seem to be at all different would be the masterful hilts of two short swords at his side. He sits down, without regard, at the obvious wizard's table.

"So..uh...*takes a drink*...ya play bones?"

13_CBS
2007-08-13, 09:51 AM
The wizard almost jumps at the sudden intrusion. He regains his composure in an instant and turns his strange, emotionless eyes towards the "drunkard".

I do not, he says in a voice like gears grinding, I am in the middle of something. Leave me be.

Bronz
2007-08-13, 10:04 AM
The man leans in while taking out some dice, seemingly oblivious to the answer in the negative.

As he leans in closer, he whispers, "Your wizardly arrogance aside, I think two of us at a table is better than one at seperate tables. The air smells of danger, and this stranger reaks."

He then proceeds to put a silver down on the table, continuing his motion from before, and in an obnoxiously loud voice he says "Uh...yer bet!"

13_CBS
2007-08-13, 10:37 AM
The wizard looks ever so slightly impressed. His eyes go back to the cloaked man while he mutters from the side of his mouth, Impressive charade, and more impressive senses. Very well. Do keep an eye out for that cloaked one with the ring, however...he is a member of the Order. The Order of Ricta, that is.

The wizard straightens up and in a louder voice he says, Very well, wretch, I shall roll you under the table. I raise 2 gold. He keeps a wary eye out for the cloaked man.

Whiplord
2007-08-13, 11:31 AM
Veritas yanks his eyes away from the newcomer with the shortswords, and returns his attention nervously to the little halfling.

"Me? Oh... I just travel wherever the winds take me. I'm not so sure about the whole adventuring thing."

dragon_masterd
2007-08-13, 01:43 PM
Ah, Well why don't you try something new? Join Me!

Whiplord
2007-08-13, 01:48 PM
Veritas sighs, and speaks in a calm tone. "Master Belkar, what would we do? We are two people, with no adventure in sight! We can't even hunt down criminals, as the only crime I've seen comitted tonight was done by you."

dragon_masterd
2007-08-13, 02:03 PM
We could gather more followers! And we can find an adventure, or one will turn up! I insist that you join me, Veritas!

Bronz
2007-08-13, 02:32 PM
Following the charade a bit more, Silv proceeds.

"Two gold! I only wanted to be a silver piece! You think me a baron or such?"He digs into his pouch, and pulls out another coin. "I'll see your two gold with my two silver!"

He leans in, and rolls those bones. Speaking softly to the wizard, "I believe that old drunkard of a tavern keep motioned you over. You better see what he wants. I'll watch your back."
Ever the opportunist, Silv takes the opportunity of whispering to slyly change the dice to a seven, obviously a win.

"I win! Drinks on the wizard!"

Whiplord
2007-08-13, 03:06 PM
Veritas gives a small laugh at the Belkar's obvious enthusiasm. "Very well, Master Belkar. Consider us partners for a time, and we'll see what turns up. I warn you though, I don't plan on sticking around long if nothing turns up. I have better things to do than mope around a town uselessly."

Veritas glances over to the table with the old wizard and the newcomer. His eyebrows raise as he sees the newcomer quickly turn the die.

dragon_masterd
2007-08-13, 03:25 PM
So.. How about Them Two? They look like they have some experience in the field.

Whiplord
2007-08-13, 04:17 PM
Veritas quickly glances over at Belkar before returning his eyes to the two dice players.

"You are welcome to approach them if you wish. Although I myself am too timid, and I am not sure how they will treat your approach."

13_CBS
2007-08-13, 06:02 PM
Before he leaves, the wizard mutters, I was hoping to find out what the barkeeper wanted of me, but then that cloaked one appeared...I shall go to him now.

When he rises, he uses a wisp of magic to turn the dice over again. He says loudly, Incorrect sir, drinks are on the young man.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-13, 06:16 PM
The tender smiles as the white haired man stands and begins walking towards him. A clear sign of relief washes over his face.

The cloaked figure shifts slightly, his head moves ever so slightly as he scans the room and the personages moving in and out of the balcony area. He watches the white haired man stand and continues his search. His gaze lingers again on the young man with the markings on his face. The he whips his head around quickly to the stairs as a shrill screech races up their twisting flight, as he turns the cowl of his cloak ruffles lightly and his face is visible for a moment to anyone watching. A hard chin set below a stern mouth. His lips seem frozen in a grimace. His nose is hawklike and shows signs of numerous breaks. The most stunning thing about him though is his eyes. If eyes are windows to the soul then his have seen the depths of hell and had the image burned into his very soul. His entire face is dirty from travel, but through the grime a wicked scar runs the length of his right cheek, looking as though some fell creatures drug it's talon down his face.

The shrill shout was in fact a serving wench rushing to the bar complaining loudly of some rogue with busy hands who'd flipped her skirt while she was cleaning a spill downstairs. The tender tries gamly to hide his smile and fails, only infuriating the woman that much more. He tells her to go and bring the man to him and he'll sort it out. She turns and retreats downstairs again. A loud cheer rises from below as she reenters the room.

Whiplord
2007-08-13, 06:57 PM
Veritas' attention snaps in the direction of the screech, and he sits up straighter . He settles back down some when he finds out the true cause, but tension still lines his face and figure. Quickly scanning the room, he seess the cloaked man looking around, and the the old man, presumably a Wizard, heading towards the bar.

I have no good feelings about the cloaked one... The wizard obviously knows something about him, and he doesn't expect it to go well... I have no idea what I can do, but perhaps I shall head up there as well.

Looking outwardly calm, Veritas slowly pushes his chair back, and stands, waving discreetly for the halfling to stay put. He saunters up to the bar, and sits down, looking at the wizard, the cloaked man, and the bartender in turn. He flashes what he hopes is a disarming smile and says,

"Thought I'd get a little change of scenery, you know? I'll take another ale if you please bartender." He pulls out the necessary coppers and shoves them across the bar. He looks around at the others again, continuing to flash his smile."

If you think it's necessary, I'll make a diplomacy check.
[roll0]

blkhawk26281
2007-08-13, 07:13 PM
The tender nods with a pleasant smile at the young man as he wanders up. He pours an ale and passes it to the young man, he takes the copper and slides it beneath the bar. He takes an empty glass down and wipes his forehead before digging at the bottom of the glass, trying to get something out of it. His eyes dart to the cloaked man occasionally and then back between the young man and the white hairded fellow.

The cloaked man pushes away from the bar and wanders out to the balcony, his left hand resting on a lump beneath his cloak, near where a swords hilt would be. His other hand, the ring bearing hand he uses to gently guide people out of his way as he works his way through the crowd.

Whiplord
2007-08-13, 08:11 PM
Veritas takes the ale and sips at it, watching the cloaked man leave. Turning back he addresses the Wizard.

"Greetings sir, my name is Veritas Nox, a wandering Cleric in the service of my lord Pelor. I obviously was not the only one to notice that that man was...suspicious. Do you know anything?"

13_CBS
2007-08-13, 11:24 PM
So you notice it as well, says the white haired man, sipping at his wine. He briefly looks down, prods the wine with his finger, and flavors with another wisp of magic*.

I am Aemos Savant, Imperial field wizard. The Empire sent me here for...investigation. I cannot say why. But perhaps that cloaked man that both of us suspect is that reason. There is not much I can say about my...companion, there playing dice. He points towards the young man with the two swords and, taking another sip, he leans closer.

Know you of the Order of Ricta, and the demonic portal to the north east?

((OOC: * = the "spell" is so minor that it doesn't even register as prestidigitation...unless you want it to.))

dragon_masterd
2007-08-14, 11:27 AM
So, Aemos, Why don't you and your not-quite-sober friend join veritas and I? This looks like an adventure, anyway.

13_CBS
2007-08-14, 02:28 PM
Aemos peers down (and quite far down) at the halfing. If you don't mind me, I have someone to investigate here. I may join you in the future, but for now, either help me investigate or stop drawing attention to us. He says the last part with a bit of ice in his voice.

Whiplord
2007-08-14, 02:43 PM
Veritas listens carefully to Aemos. "Pleased to make your acquaintance Wizard Aemos. As for my companion," a gesture to the halfling, "I can't say much for him either...but...we seem to be together for now. I am sure he could be persuaded to discreetly help."

"As for helping, do you have any specific plan of action? I would be happy to help you investigate, although I'm afraid I have little skill in anything but healing."

13_CBS
2007-08-14, 03:11 PM
A practitioner of the divine arts? You will be quite useful. Bring your halfling if you wish.

Aemos glances at the Order of Ricta member before he mutters to Veritas.

I am Aemos Savant, Imperial field wizard. I was sent here by the Empire to investigate anything unusual, and this "unusual" thing would be the Order of Ricta's presence here. As for investigations...we shall watch his moves. For now.

He then turns to the barkeep and says, My time is short, my ward is getting away. Is there something you needed?

blkhawk26281
2007-08-14, 05:34 PM
The tender politely keeps his distance from the gentlemen holding their conversation until the white haired man addresses him. He moves to the bar, and leans far over it to softly speak to the man. "Forgive my intrusion and rudeness with the gesture, but I've been around long enough to spot you for a Lundan and a new arrived Lundan at that. Your friends carry the air of unfamiliarty with Perax and so I thought for a small price I might be persuaded to depart a large helping of very useful information" He glances out at the balcony to ensure the Rictan hasn't started back. "My information may well be the differance between you and your friends freedom and certain imprisonment at the Dead Wall" He again nervously glances at the balcony where a the Rictan has managed to seperate a young man of around 17 from his friends. He seems to be listening raptly as the cloaked figure speaks to him, nodding enthusiastically now and then. The barkeep mutters under his breath. "poor bastard."

13_CBS
2007-08-14, 05:40 PM
NAme your price, bartender. And what is this Dead Wall you speak of? A public execution square?

blkhawk26281
2007-08-14, 05:51 PM
"A gold should set my tongue free." He raises a bushy eyebrow at the question. "The Dead Wall is the wall north of Ricta. The only thing between civilized living and the realm of the dead armies. Word is, the archmages have begun to reorganize their armies for another attack on the realm. I've heard they've even managed to establish holds in various cities around the continent in an attempt to subvert the wall from this side." He draws a slow breath and his eyes dart again to the Rictan, his fingers drum lightly on the bartop, waiting for his pay.
The young man is now nodding vigorously and the Rictan has presented a scroll, he unfurls before the young man, pointing at a spot he passes a slender sliver of silver to the young man. As those few watching this happen see, the young man pricks his finger and smears the blood across the bottom of the scroll.

13_CBS
2007-08-14, 06:41 PM
Hmm...that explains much...my thanks, tender. He flips the bartender a piece of gold. While he does so, however, he casually glances at the mysterious scroll...

Knowledge: Arcana check [roll0]

blkhawk26281
2007-08-14, 06:50 PM
The tender catches the gold and deposits it into his apron, he begins to speak his piece when he sees the white haired man look aside. He then begins earnestly. "You and the others must leave the city immediately, maybe even leave Perax. The council has decreed that all those of Lundan loyalty still within the city, as well as every other non-citizen must submit themselves to a tour on the Dead Wall, in exchange Ricta is cutting taxes on goods being shipped from the island to Perax. The new code takes effect this night, the last night of the festival of freedom. He's seen your faces and marked you as strangers, likely he's already picked the odd few to submit to the decree. If you value your life & freedom flee the city tonight. You can tell by the redness of his face he is growing angry at his words. " Those wall riding sons-a-whores stole away my boy the same as they're stealing that boy's very life. He points at the young man, now bowing to the Rictan who gives him a gentle squeeze on the shoulder.

13_CBS
2007-08-14, 06:58 PM
How perturbatory...the Emperor must hear of this.

He turns to Veritas, and says, You sought an adventure? Where the winds take you? Then come with me, for these foul winds theaten to carry us all off. I will need your protection, and you will need mine. He glances at the two-sword fighter.

I will bring him along as well.

Whiplord
2007-08-14, 07:01 PM
Veritas glances nervously between the bartender and the Wizard. "I can't say I have any desire to end up on this dead wall. And seeing how I have thrown my lot in with you... Well, I trust your judgment. You make the decision sir Wizard."

13_CBS
2007-08-14, 09:00 PM
Hmm...a wizard leading a group in the field...we shall be seeing pigs enchanted with the Fly spell next.

Let us consult with our twin sword fighter here. He beckons Silv over to the bar.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-14, 09:14 PM
The tender shrugs accepting the dismissal. He returns to working at the bar, turning only when the noise downstairs grows excessively rowdy or disturbingly quiet, with each the dull roar of the crowd returns and he busys himself at the bar, serving drinks as requested.

The Rictan finishes with the boy and turns to walk towards another individual sitting alone, sipping a glass of wine and reading a book in a far corner alone.

The balcony is suddenly lit up with the beginning of the evening fire show. Wizards and Sorcerers in the councils employ begin unleashing vast and stunning demonstrations of their power. Using the writhing, shining fire shapes to reenact the story of Perax's turns of tyrannical rule by Lundan, it's eventual upheaval, and the new nations birth.

Bronz
2007-08-14, 10:20 PM
Silv, now putting on a show of playing dice with himself, ends the game once it seems the conversation ends. He picks himself up, as well as his *winnings*, and heads to the bar.

"My name is Silv, and I for one do not wish to end up on this dead wall. I will come with you *he looks at the two at the bar*, especially since there's now a priest. You will need my swords at any rate."
He then flips a gold piece in his hand, and lays it on the bar.

"It's only fair."

"Where to?"

13_CBS
2007-08-14, 10:26 PM
Our main objective should be to stay low. It would be unwise to be caught and thrown out of here, especially now.

Our other objective, however, is to investigate the Order of Ricta member there, no doubt recruiting more to his grim cause. Normally, my superiors would have no problems with this sort of thing, but lately...let us say that the Order of Ricta has become suspicious.

I am a field wizard, however, not an investigator. I travel about to look for information and arcane secrets, not to delve into the matter of business such as this. However...I think it would unwise to leave this Ricta member unattended.

Is anyone else here skilled in the art of spying and subterfuge? I regret to say that my skills lie in magic, not in investigations.

Bronz
2007-08-14, 11:00 PM
Silv sighs as though he has been through this a thousand times before.

I of course can follow him. Question is, why don't we just leave? I mean, if I follow him and he sees me, I'm off to this dead wall or worse. We would be far better off just leaving this damnable place.

Of course, we could always kill him too, if he's that much trouble.

13_CBS
2007-08-14, 11:21 PM
Unacceptable. My duty is to the Empire. Protocol demands that I investigate this peculiar incident with the Order. I cannot move my hand too blatantly, in case it turns out that we were mistaken. And I assure you that one does not gain the enimity of the Order, for doing so means gaining the enimity of all in the land.

Bronz
2007-08-15, 08:16 AM
Now see, that's the kind of thing I need to know! But you still haven't answered the question of why? Why would I stick my neck out to investigate this when leaving would be so much easier?

13_CBS
2007-08-15, 08:50 AM
Noted. I can personally request to the Emperor to reward you greatly. However, I am, again, a field wizard. There is not much down payment I can provide you, other than perhaps adventure and an opportunity to have safety in numbers.

Bronz
2007-08-15, 09:26 AM
Silv actually seems to smile at that answer.

"Now those are the reasons I came here in the first place. I guess taking a quick peak wouldn't hurt."

"Where would you like to meet?"

//After the answer is given on where to meet and when, Silv will head off and follow the member of the order until the time is up or he can no longer follow. He will use the buildings, and mostly the crowd as cover as much as he can.
[roll0]
[roll1]

13_CBS
2007-08-15, 09:52 AM
Let us all meet somewhere quiet. I have heard that ther is a meditative garden hereabouts.

Whiplord
2007-08-15, 04:22 PM
Veritas glances between the two, watching the exchange unfold. Once it ends, he seems to gather the courage to speak.

"I will go along, regardless of pay. If what I hear is true, my Lord Pelor would have me investigate this. And it seems my healing may be needed."

He sighs, and stops speaking for a second, looking more within that without. Finally, he breaks his silence, "After all, I have sworn to not allow death of the innocent and good on my watch!" The final statement is delivered in a rush, and he though he still looks nervous, he appears more resolute for having delivered the statement.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-15, 06:43 PM
The Rictan confronts the lone man in the corner with the same result, save this man seems much less pleased with the appointment, regardless, he signs the same contract and departs with the boy. The Rictan continues through the crowd, finally finishing his rounds he begins to leave, drawing up to the three gentlemen at the bar holding a hushed conversation. He looks over each of you and his eyes seem to bore into your soul while revealing nothing except the deep scars of the soul. He nods to each of you, finally coming to rest his eyes on the mage. He offers a slight inclination of his head and whispers, his voice rough and carrying a weariness, "I pray your betters find a way to overcome their bitterness and contribute to the safety of the realms, instead of hiding behind their walls like spoiled children who have their favorite toy taken from them. Your..." , he sighs before continuing, "...emporer's arrogance and his peoples blind faith will be the final downfall of the once brilliant star that was Lundan. Until that day, I have no desire for Lundans or their associates to serve with me on the Wall." He turns, without waiting for a reply and moves down the stairs to leave the inn and report back to his commander.

{Silv follows the Rictan easily through the crowds. His passing is marked by a wide berth by the fastival goers. He travels south passing the city grove and on to the dock ward. Upon arriving their he approaches a warehouse being guarded by two similarly dressed men. A large gathering of people are assembled out front and being addressed by several other Rictans. Four large wagons, tethered to massive horses, easily several arms lengths larger than the local breeds. Their hair is long and shaggy and well tended. The horses snort occasionally sniffing the wind and pawing the ground. The wagons are lined with benches and all are empty save the last which is being loaded with various goods and materials.}

Bronz
2007-08-15, 07:13 PM
Silv studies the situation a moment, ingraining it to memory.
If I would have known they had a staging area I would have just said so...

Silv then breaks away, and heads down an out of the way alley. He then makes his way to the grove that was agreed upon to report his findings.

--------

Upon arrival, Silv greets the others with a grim face. Nodding to each, he attempts to report his findings.
This member of the order is obviously part of the recruiting process, as we could tell from the tavern. He met up with two others at a staging area not far away. There are massive horses and wagons, and the wagons have benches that are all but empty except supplies. A crowd gathers there, those poor bastards. Not sure what you want to do about this, if anything.

After his report, Silv grabs his waterskin and takes a deep pull. He sits there, thinking to himself and waiting for a response.
Putting your life in danger for some nonsense is pretty stressful.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-15, 07:58 PM
The City Grove is an expansive garden of trees inside the city walls. Made up of three layers, the lower level is the caverns...a very cool and concealed place favored by young lovers and older shady dealings, it's cool stone paths lead the walker on a twisted turning walk under enchanted ceilings which allow the observor to gaze up at one of the ponds from level two, the second layer is the ground level, spotted with flowers and ponds filled with golden fish and shade from the trees above, the third level is reached by suspended rope bridges, a walk through the tree branches along wooden platforms and occasionally the trees branhes themselves. The grove was inspired by the coming together of the races during the war of the dead, commisioned by an unnamed noble, it has been grown and tended to by a Druid and Ranger from the the nobles family ever since, even the current guardians can trace their lineage to the first.

The festivities are subdued within the grove, not by reverance or the attempts by the festival goers, the grove itself is enchanted and each tree and hedge grown to minimize sounds traveling. The center of the grove consists of a circle meditation garden, it's walls made of stone overgrown with ivy and it's ceiling open to the night sky. No others are in the meditation circle save the three of you, until Silv returns to report his findings.

Bronz
2007-08-15, 08:08 PM
What say you mage? You're the one making my recommendation, after all.
After a second of quick thinking, Silv pipes up, yet again.

I vote attack. I saw three outside. There may have been more inside. But we might be able to incite the crowd. They don't want to become the walking dead anymore than you want them to be.

13_CBS
2007-08-15, 08:09 PM
Interesting...

Protocol dictates that I report to my nearest superior, who is stationed in a small hut just outside this city. I am to recieve my orders from that person. It is likely that I will be sent to investigate this matter, possibly by following the Order all the way to the Dead Wall.

It is your choice to follow me. I should remind you that, should we survive all of this and it turns out that we have uncovered something sinister, all of you will be greatly rewarded, perhaps by the Emperor himself, for your service to the Empire. If you do not follow me...then I cannot guarantee your safety from the hands of either the Ricta or...the Empire.

He considers Silv's recommendation.

It may be wiser to investigate further. The Order is popular to those whose love ones they do not press into service. Attacking them outright may have dire consequences, and should the Order find out and come down upon us, not even the Emperor himself could save us then.

Bronz
2007-08-15, 09:34 PM
Again, it'd be your recommendation that would make me some gold, so I'll accompany you at least until it stops being interesting.

So, let's take that priest and those other fellows and get moving to that hut.
We don't want to cross paths with these people if we don't have to since it won't be on our terms.

Lucky
2007-08-16, 12:28 AM
Tor-qua
((Sorry guys, but I'm having trouble getting long posts up, I can only stare at my monitor so long before my head starts to hurt.
Also, sorry about this tiny bit of metagaming, but I need to get my ass into this party somehow. :smalltongue:))

Tor-qua, while very interested in the exciting events around him, is rather overwhelmed by this mass of people, and decides to head to a quieter area. He remembers overhearing a young couple speak of the City Grove, and decides that where he would rather be, completely unaware of the events going on within it.

Upon arrival at the Grove he notices the four figures in the meditation circle and decides for the moment to think little of them, but does his best to listen in. He still does not have full comprehension of life with cities and towns, and his curiosity overcomes him.

((Listen= [roll0]))

13_CBS
2007-08-16, 12:38 AM
((Good to see you, Lucky!

I guess I'll roll a listen check to see if Aemos detects you snooping.))

[roll0]

Bronz
2007-08-16, 07:28 AM
//Spot check to notice: [roll0]

//If Silv spots someone...
So mage...were you expecting company?
Silv then slowly and deliberately points out Torq-a.

//If Silv does not spot someone
He continues waiting for the mage's decision, impatiently of course.

Whiplord
2007-08-16, 02:20 PM
Veritas continues to stand quietly, although his face blanches at the mention of attack, only settling a little when Aemos seems to reject the suggestion.

(([roll0] [roll1]))

//If he hears or sees the intruder
"It seems we have company, sirs."

//If not, he continues to stay silent for the time being, waiting for the others to reach a descision.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-16, 04:52 PM
As you (Tor'Qua) move through the grove you hear voices coming from the meditation garden. As you turn to focus on the voices and see their owners your elbow catches a rose bushes thorn, it swings back swiftly after pulling free and causes the bush to rustle. Aemos, Veritas and Silv both hear the rustling of the bush although the cause cannot be determined in the shadows of the trees, though Silve does catch the glint of a fire show overhead bursting into light shadowing a figure standing just beyond the low wall near the surrounding roses.

{PS. Welcome back Lucky!}

13_CBS
2007-08-16, 04:55 PM
Aemos immediatly breaks off the conversation and asks, I sense your presence. Reveal yourself.

Bronz
2007-08-16, 05:01 PM
Silv instinctively reaches for his short swords, drawing them out in one smooth motion. He looks over to the bushes and looks straight at Veritas.
It certainly seems we do.
He begins stalking over to where the noise came from, ready to jump on any intruder with his twin blades.

13_CBS
2007-08-16, 05:05 PM
Aemos immediatly motions for Silv to sheathe his swords. He whispers, Do not threaten him. For all he knows, we are merely partygoes trying to cool down from the festivities here.

Bronz
2007-08-16, 05:10 PM
Silv looks back with a frustrated look on his face.

Too late for that, my swords are out. It can assumedly hear us. I'd rather be prepared than not.

But, seemingly, Silv takes the words to heart...at least a little bit. He stands where he is, ready to pounce like a cat on whatever's rustling. He beckons to the brush.

Come out now, the mage here won't be able to stop my impulses for too long.

Lucky
2007-08-16, 07:32 PM
Tor-qua

((Excellent!))

As he hears Aemos address him, Tor-qua freezes. Realizing he's outnumbered, he determines it would simply be best to do as the man says. Taking a few short, slow steps, he walks into a clearing and catiously reveals himself to the gathering of people.

13_CBS
2007-08-16, 07:40 PM
NAme yourself and your purpose here.

Lucky
2007-08-17, 12:44 AM
Tor-qua

My given name is Tor-qua. I came here for some peace. He speaks slowly and calmly, his hands raised about level with his hand, showing that no weapon occupy them, but his sword and bow on his back, as well as the morningstar on his belt show clearly.

Bronz
2007-08-17, 08:00 AM
Silv sheathes his swords, apparently accepting the answer. Or, more than likely, confident that they will be in his hands again if needed.

You'll find no peace here intruder. There is no peace anywhere in these parts. Of course, there is always the ultimate peace, but I think we're all trying to avoid that for now.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-17, 06:26 PM
The fire shows above the city begin to pick up pace and become even more elaborate and colorful, waves of flame in every conceivable color begin to swirl and take the shape of two advancing armies one on each side of the night sky. They form into long lines of warriors, archers, dragons, and cavalry before charaging together, you can almost hear the drumming of horses hooves as they charge together and you realize you can, some illusion being played over the show and only audible now as the entire city seems to stop and become silent to fully immerse themselves in the action. The shapes crash together and the carnage even through the medium of flames is immense, as dragons fall burning from the sky and the armies surge and retreat and counter again and again until one side is finally overrun and the entire city seems to release a cheer, the sound is almost painful as the cheer rises and peaks before finally dying down as the fire shapes begin to dissipate, like embers floating away on a camp fires brreze. The end of the battle signifies the end of the official festival week.

Bronz
2007-08-17, 07:15 PM
Well, you just KNOW that was a diversion for something. Whatever it was, it can't be good.

I thought I heard something about this Order marching after the festival.

Whiplord
2007-08-17, 07:19 PM
Veritas settles from the tense stance he had taken on hearing the rustling upon seeing the man step out, seeming to mean no harm. His attention is again momentarily diverted by the amazing fireworks show, but after it ends, he nods somberly at Silv

"While that was certainly impressive, it would seem an opportune time to leave... And us not yet having decided what to do. Well, if we do decide to leave, which seem likely whatever else we choose, I merely ask that we stop back by the inn. My ass is currently stabled there, and I would be loathe to leave her behind."

Bronz
2007-08-17, 07:22 PM
Well, mage. What are we to do?

As Silv says this, he peers over to the Newcomer.

Yes...what are we to do?

13_CBS
2007-08-17, 10:57 PM
What we are going to do depends entirely upon how willing our...newcomer...is to follow us.

Tell me, are you interested in recieving a great reward from the Emperor of Lundan?

Lucky
2007-08-18, 03:36 AM
Tor-qua

The Emperor of Lundan? His words are filled with curiosity, but even more with awe.

13_CBS
2007-08-18, 10:06 AM
Yes, the emperor. Now, will you join us? If you do not, we will kill you. We cannot risk endangering our task.

Bronz
2007-08-18, 10:40 AM
As the mage mentions the inevitable, Silv takes his swords back out in a flash.

He's not joking. But do not join us lightly either. Now stop standing dumbstruck and answer the question. Yes or no?!

//If the newcomer decides to join quickly, silv quickly puts his blades away and follows the mages orders for what to do

//If the newcomer still takes a bit to decide, Silv steps forward to...hurry the decision making process along

//If the newcomer refuses to join, well...that can go unspoken :smallfurious:

Whiplord
2007-08-18, 11:56 AM
Veritas laughs nervously at the death threats. "They're actuially pretty nice once you get to know them..."

blkhawk26281
2007-08-18, 02:32 PM
As the four of you converse working out the details of your new situation. Several sets of footsteps can be heard moving along one of the stone paths toward you. The unmistakable sound of metal armor clinking accompanies the footsteps. You all hear the noise as the group is making no effort to conceal their movements. From over a small crest of a nearby hill you see torchlight spill over into the area, illuminating a group of five well armed persons. They draw up a bit and peer through the dim light over at the four of you. The one holding the torch steps forward, his hand coming up in an open palm hail, as he speaks, "Ho there, the festival is over and the council has decreed a curfew for the rest of the night. All persons are to report immediately to their home or domicile or be escorted out of the city if they do not have the means to aquire said domicile." He wears the distinctive golden braid around his left shoulder of a captain of the guard. He wears a highly polished suit of half-plate and the hilt of the sword at his side is well worn with use. The captain and three others are humans, the last is full orc, he carries a heavy axe over his shoulder and a great horn in his other hand, ready to signal at the slightest hint of trouble. The captains eyes wander over the group before him waiting an acknowledgment or argument against the decree.

13_CBS
2007-08-18, 02:43 PM
The wizard whispers to his companions, we have no need to stay in this city any longer. Our target has moved on and my superior is outside the city. I would be wise to comply.

Whiplord
2007-08-18, 05:22 PM
Veritas nods towards the wizard to show he understands, and then turns to face the guards.

"It seems that we may as well leave the city then good fellows. A good night to you then!" With a smile and a wave, he turns away from the guards and begins heading out of the clearing.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-18, 08:42 PM
The guards all seem to relax visibly as the first of the group acknowledges and walks away. Two of the guards break off of the group and take positions on either side of Veritas. "These men will escort you out of the city. To ensure safe passage, some of the revelers become a bit rowdy with the wine and spirits being drunk in such quantity." The captain then turns to the others, waiting for them to join the group departing the city.

Whiplord
2007-08-18, 09:09 PM
Veritas glances to each side of himself, looking over the two huge men now flanking him.

Pelor's Light but those are some huge shoulders!

"Thank you sirs for the escort, I am honored." Veritas continues forward, but slows slightly, looking over his shoulder to make sure his companions are following. I would hate to be left alone with these huge fellows...

13_CBS
2007-08-18, 09:31 PM
Seeing Veritas go in peace, Aemos does the same. I will go quietly.

When he gets to Veritas, however, Ameos mutters quietly from the side of his mouth, They seem peaceful, but be on your guard.

Whiplord
2007-08-18, 09:33 PM
Veritas glances at the guards before whispering back, "You certainly don't have to tell me that twice!"

Oh Light, that big one is staring at me!

Veritas does his best to look nonchalant.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-18, 10:22 PM
((Ok, maybe I can post tonight))

Mikt', Half-Orc Fighter (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=20808)

[Assuming everyone followed the guards]

A large half orc wearing a shining half plate armor stumbles into the group, and he appears to be drunk. His backpack seems small compared to his large, muscular body, he looks like he's someone you wouldn't want to fight with. There is a longsword hanging from his left, and a greatsword from his right. A crossbow shape can be made out from inside his backpack. On his right arm is a tightly fastened buckler sheild.

"Excuse me" he grunts as he bumps into one of the guards. He doesn't seem to mind his slightly annoyed look. "It looks like your heading out of town. I was planning on going that way myself, need to test out my new equiptment." He refrences his shing armor and smooth buckler. To no-one in particular he says "Mind if I tag along?" And follows no matter the answer.

13_CBS
2007-08-18, 10:27 PM
Aemos merely blinks. ...of course. Please come. He reminds himself to interrogate the half-orc later and determine whether the warrior would be an ally or a foe to be eliminated.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-18, 10:58 PM
The guards shake their heads in silence at the drunkard and continue to follow along. They seem quite content not to want to seek out conflict. They escort you all as far as the East Gate. The massive set of portcullis are both halfway down as the last of the late departers are escorted out of the gate. You are all taken to the gate by the guards who smile and give you all a slight nod as a fare well and they turn to continue their patrols.

As the road curves northward and your eyes follow it's path in the darkness. You can see a long line of light moving just out of sight toward the North Pass. Some long caravan is moving out of Peraxian land and into the untamed lands of Sairn.

There are several bodies lying just outside the gate, all have been tossed haphazardly out of the gate and off the road, all seem to have been thoroughly picked over as most have nothing but the rags on their backs. A few farmers and their families are loading up on carts and wagons left outside the wall to avoid the crowds. Only one person seems out of place.

On the left side of the road, just at the edge of the light cast by the gate tower cauldron fires, you can see a figure standing beneath a tree. A hand rests on the trunk, the other holds firmly to the reins of a slightly perturbed looking donkey. As your small group is guided out into the wilds beyond the walls of Perax, the figure raises the hand from the tree while looking right at the group. As the figure moves you see the torchlight reflect off the gold and marroon tabard worn over his clothes. Anyone who has been around longer than a day recognizes the figure as a messenger of Lundan.

13_CBS
2007-08-18, 11:03 PM
Aemos immediatly sees the Lundan messenger. He strides up to the man and speaks part of a greeting/identifying code phrase, The Emperor's fist...

Whiplord
2007-08-18, 11:42 PM
Veritas eyes the bodies with a sad look in his eye, and follows Aemos over to the tree, maintaining a respectful distance.

For ease of play, I'm going to assume we walked by the inn and I was able to pick up my donkey, is that okay?

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-19, 06:12 AM
Mikt', Half-Orc Fighter (http://http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=20808)

The nameless half orc abrubtly stops, completely unaware of the few(or all)members of the group he just joined walking towards a man next to a tree. He stops and looks at the bodies for some time, thinking with an expressionless face.

I guess I should make a listen check to see if I hear them:

Listen: [roll0]

blkhawk26281
2007-08-19, 08:33 PM
The figure eyes Aemos as he approaches with a disdainful look. As Aemos speaks he raises a hand stopping him. "...is raised and ready to fall upon your unworthy self Aemos. Really, how little do you think the empire watches your movings, although I still haven't a clue as to why. The Rictan's are well away, the Commandant is waiting in his tent just beyond this copse of trees. I suggest you move swiftly and gather your...companions. I took the liberty of having this ass transported here for your companion, I suggest you have hyim retrieve it immediately..." He passes the reins to Aemos with a look of disgust. "It's odor offends my nose like only a Peraxian wench could." He turns and moves into the copse of trees towards a large campfire burning within, illuminating the Commandants campsite.

{The guards dropped off all of you in the same general area, and with the low levels of noise I will assume all of you heard, besides, the figure speaks quite loudly}

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-19, 08:39 PM
Mikt', Half-Orc Fighter (http://http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=20808)

((Did I hear what was being said?))

If I heard what was being said, at the word 'companions' I quickly snap my head up and start talking to the closest person from who I travelled with before.

"Should I be considered your 'Companion'? Or should I stay here and wait, in the cold, untill I find something to test my weapons on?"

If I heard nothing, I snap my head up regardless, as if my daydream was over.

"Where is everyone going?" I say as I see everyone heading towards the wooded area.

13_CBS
2007-08-19, 09:35 PM
((I'll post when we have confirmation as to whether or not Mikt' heard the messenger))

Whiplord
2007-08-19, 09:37 PM
Veritas's face takes on an astonished expression as he listens to the exchange. Rose is a noble beast! Smelly....!. He mumbles under his breath for a few seconds, before falling silent.

At the half-orc's question, "Well, I don't seem to be in charge here, but I would be glad of your company. It seems there may be things for you oi 'test your weapons out on' in our near future."

blkhawk26281
2007-08-19, 09:57 PM
All persons in the area heard the figure speaking as he spoke quite loudly like one who loves hearing himself speak.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-19, 10:01 PM

Alright, I'll follow Verita then, because he seems to be the closest and fastest to answer my question person out of the group, and otherwise my short attention span wouldn't allow me to stand still much longer.

"Thank you for letting me come with you. My name is Mikt', yours?"

13_CBS
2007-08-19, 10:16 PM
Aemos opened his mouth, planning on sending the Half-Orc away, but thought better of it.

I am Aemos Savant, Imperial field Wizard. If you desire a portion of the riches of the Empire, follow me to my superior's tent.

Bronz
2007-08-19, 10:39 PM
Silv followed quietly yet with a vision for danger. His eyes constantly darting about, he remains quiet.

He follows Aemos to his superior's tent, as that is the path to riches.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-19, 11:00 PM
The messenger leads the five of you to the camp. The cmap consists of one large round tent in the center of the clearing. A line of horses are picketed to the right of the main tent. To the left are a series of small individual tents with several men laying in them or milling about, presumably on some sort of guard duty. The messenger turns and motions for you all to wait until he admits you. He moves under the tents flap and after a few moments the flap opens and he motions you in. "Commandant, I present field wizard Aemos and his companions."
Inside the tent, the interior is well lit with cold fire torches. A modest cot lies in the back the cot blankets folded and pressed neatly. The center of the tent is dominated by a sturdy military field desk, behind the desk perusing several piles of parchment and occasionally making notes here or there before folding them carefully, and sealing them with a small dollop of wax. The Commandant is dressed in the traditional Lundan Battle dress. His Breastplate and greaves are highly polished bronze. His helm hangs to the left of his desk, it's tall red horsehair plume carefully combed and tended. The Commandant stands as you enter, to his full height of over six foot. His hair is long and pulled back in a tight ponytail, fully revealing his sharp features. Dark eyes bore into each of you before coming to rest on Aemos.
"Field Wizard Aemos, your orders have been amended and your term of service to the empire have been extended." He slides a carefully folded sheet of paper across the desk. His hands bear the scars of steel and fire. "The Rictan army are well ahead of you. We will provide you with horses for you and your group to reach Upper Sairn. From their you will be contacted by our connection there and resupplied for your journey north. The empire will of course reward these....mercenaries you have hired for protection...for services rendered of course. You are to follow the Rictans home to Ricta. Travel with them if they will allow, if not find another way to the Dead Wall and observe the situation there for yourselves and the empire. Report back immediately. Glory to the Empire!" He slaps his closed fist to his chest hard enough to emit a sobering thud, before seating himself again. Without looking up he finishes the conversation..."Dismissed!"

Bronz
2007-08-19, 11:08 PM
Not really knowing any better...and not really caring if he did, Silv looks to the commandant.

"You're saying you want us to go to the Dead Wall? We just got out of the city to ESCAPE that fate? What kind of reward is being offered here, as "greatly" means different things to different people, and a trip to the Dead Wall WITH the Rictans dictates it must be defined as greatly to me."

Silv then folds his arms, waiting for the typical soldier response.

13_CBS
2007-08-19, 11:11 PM
Aemos does the same. To the Emperor. *thumps chest*

As he turns to leave Aemos asks, Before I forget, Commandant...if my...protection...and I must defend ourselves from the Ricta, do we have the Emperor's blessing to slay them in the open?

And to Silv he says, Stay your tongue. As my guardian you have a limited protection from me, the Empire, and the Imperial Wizards. But I cannot help you if the Commandant wishes to take your tongue, or worse, if he wishes it. He has the right to do so by our law.

Whiplord
2007-08-19, 11:18 PM
Veritas halfheartedly begins to lift his own fist, but lets it fall back to his side as he thinks better of it. I'm not one of them... perhaps it would be offensive if I copied their gesture.

He then decides to merely state his acceptance but stops, and wilts at the onslaught directed towards Silv. In the end, he decides to just stay, standing silently. Albeit, looking slightly more depressed.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-19, 11:21 PM
The Commandant draws a slow breath and lays his pen aside. He looks up at the man who spoke to him."Of course the term means differant things between two cultures as vastly differant as the rich, expansive, ancient Empire of Lundan and the newborn, mewling infant nation of Perax. If you fear traveling with the Rictans to the Dead Wall then your information is as base as your own wretched appearance is. The Rictans are the most noble and honorable men this realm has ever seen they sacrifice everything to defend the weak. You should count yourselves lucky just to travel in their presence. The Dead Wall is manned by the Rictans in order to hold back the undead armies your mothers told you bedtime stories about...only this Dead Wall is real...and these men are real...and the undead they battle each and every evening are real." He stops, his face slightly flushed with emotion. He takes a long draw from his waterskin before continuing."The empire will provide all who assist Field Wizard Aemos to the completion of his mission with land and titles in the city-state of his choice. The generosity of the empire will also see to it that you are rewarded with a treasure fit for a titled landowner of Lundan. The title will also be familial and be available to pass to your children. I trust this will be enough to ensure your service to the empire...Silv?"

He turns to Aemos..."A wise commander takes the time to recognize the value of each and every man under his command. No matter how low his birth. I have seen low born water bearers lift a fallen noble knights blade and charge an enemy phalanx."

Bronz
2007-08-20, 08:00 AM
Silv looks a little confused, as the warrior response actually came from the mage.

"Well, that's good enough!"

Silv turns without ceremony and exits the tent. He stands there, pondering and waiting for his newfound comrades to join him. He really should be thinking of what kind of mess this Dead Wall is, and what kind of *noble* people would enslave to protect...but he couldn't help himself to thinking first about the rewards that lay ahead, and two about his predicament.

I really should stop at the armory and pick up a pair of small hammers. I haven't heard good things about swords and skeletons.

With that thought he waits to ask Aemos where the armory exactly is so that he can better prepare.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-20, 10:11 AM
Mirkt', Half-Orc Fighter

"Mr. Commander? What if we never have children? What if we-die? Will we be honered and respected, or will you just pretend our names wasn't important, our part of the mission was just...Worthless?"

Whiplord
2007-08-20, 11:00 AM
Veritas, who had been in the process of following Silv out of the tent, stops in midstep at the half-orc's words. I never expected a question like this out of him... I think he deserves more credit than I had been giving him.

He stays in the spot where he stopped, waiting for an answer to Mikt's question.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-20, 05:55 PM
The commandant looks at the half-orc with a hint of respect. "Yea, your names will be inscribed on the heroes wall if you fall while at the Dead Wall defending it, and if you perish on the way to or from I assure you, your name will be included in the histories, and studied for years to come by scholars and warriors to come."

Lucky
2007-08-20, 05:58 PM
Tor-qua

Tor-qua perks up when the commandant speaks of the honours bestowed upon heroes. I will join you as well.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-20, 09:20 PM
Mirkt', Half-Orc Fighter

To the commander

"Thank you sir, that is all I ask. The riches and land will be a bonus, but if honor and respect for the half-orcs can be made, then I would be proud to follow your orders."

He then walks out of the tent, and, if there is one available, starts to test out his weapons on dummies and such.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-20, 09:29 PM
The Commandant looks again to Aemos after all the others exit the tent. "Forgive my harsh tongue Field Wizard Aemos. The empire knows the service you provide and the value of your service. You and your men will be equipped and armed more fully in the free trade city of Sairn. Perax will not allow us to ship more weapons or armor and goods than each Lundanite may carry. Good luck. Glory of Lundan, Glory to the Emperor!" He fists his chest again and offers a slight bow of his head.

One by one as you each emerge you are greeted by the messenger from earlier. He has five horse, saddled and bridled, ready to ride in front of the tent waiting for you. {Each horse is a Light Warhorse with saddle and bridle set, no barding} He hands you each a slender piece of iron wood, with an intricate seal engraved on the face and a series of letters and numbers on the tail. He explains they are "chits" a way of transferring large sums of money or goods without the trouble of transporting the goods. He explains a contact in Sairn will meet you all when you arrive and inform you of the Rictans movements and direction of travel.

Bronz
2007-08-20, 09:35 PM
"Saddle up!"

Silv deftly gets on his mount, and waits for the others.

"I'm liking this service to the empire thing already!"

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-20, 09:42 PM
"Horses? For free? That comander is a nice fellow, he is." Now slightly sober, "So does anyone want to tell me whats going on here?"

EDIT: If it seems like everyone else is getting ready to leave, I go on one of the horses that looks like it could support my weight.

Whiplord
2007-08-20, 09:43 PM
Veritas stands lost in thought for a moment before mounting up on the horse that is given him, tying Rose's lead to the other horse's bridle.

As he settles into the saddle, he first turns to Mikt. "Why, it's an adventure!" A grin spreads across his face. "I never dreamed I would get to go on a true adventure! Off we go!"

13_CBS
2007-08-20, 10:05 PM
Take caution, warns Aemos. This is no mere "adventure" that we embark on. This is an important mission for the sake of the Lundan Empire...and perhaps more. He saddles up on one of the horses.

How perturbatory...the Commandant has still not given confirmation as to whether or not we are allowed to slay Rictans in the open...

blkhawk26281
2007-08-20, 10:13 PM
The messenger looks up to Aemos and smiles. "I wouldn't suggest openly slaying them, the Commandant is quite taken with them, something about honor codes or some such nonsense." He smiles conspiratorily. "luck and glory to the Empire"

13_CBS
2007-08-20, 10:16 PM
Aemos salutes the messenger. And the same to the Emperor. He turns to his companions. Shall we be off then?

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-20, 10:22 PM
"Sounds good." says Mirkt', after saddling up. "And on the way, maybe I can learn what's going on?"

Whiplord
2007-08-20, 10:38 PM
Veritas looks wounded, and speaks in a chastened tone. "I know that! But... still."

Not allowing anything to dampen his current mood for long, the smile returns to his face.

13_CBS
2007-08-20, 10:48 PM
The wizard pauses for a moment at Mikt''s question.

Before I begin...what do you know of the Order of Ricta?

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-20, 11:10 PM
"The Order of.... Nothing, I suppose."

((Lol, I really don't know much about it, even after reading the this thread.))

13_CBS
2007-08-20, 11:28 PM
I see...

As you may have heard, the Order of Ricta is an esteemed military group that does its best to keep away the foul creatures at the Dead Wall. If it were not for the Order, we may well be overrun by the living dead.

They are, not unexpectedly, well admired by the majority of the people.
Because of them citizens need not worry about a skeleton carving their loved ones to pieces or dracoliches patrolling the skies. Let me tell you how they came to be, and why we have these recent concerns...

One might not have expected it, but Aemos's storytelling capabilities were an untapped power. His voice droned and was almost monotonous, but despite that it was as if someone had taken a sackfull of information and carefully deposited it into a head. His words tend to draw in listeners, like a snake to its charmer...

OOC: here's what my previous Arcane Knowledge check told me:

Legends, and actual accounts state that many hundreds...some accounts say thousands of years ago, a group of powerful archmages set about to conquer the world. They decided the best course of action, as advised by their colleague a powerful Necromancer named Corandus Colandu, that opening a rift in the material plane to the realm of the dead would provide an eternal and neverending supply of armies to conquer the realms. They searched the globe and came upon a barren island just north of a larger island buried beneath the artic ice. Upon opening the rift they did indeed call forth the armies of the dead and began marching onto the civilized realms.

Many years of strife followed with hordes of undead being led by more powerful undead sought to exact their revenge on the living.
The few surviving accounts from the stormed cities cite a fell stench carried on the Northern wind. No accounts follow these entries. Save for those by the conquering archmages.

Only the actions of a few of the realms most powerful and established heros managed to unite the fractured races and return the battle, drawing the war to a stalemate. Even the ancient dragons were brought into the battle when dracolichs began to show circling overhead the marching undead.
The heros sought the only help that would begin to turn the tide. They turned to the gods who gave each of the heros a stone, each stone had a piece of the gods own power within them and using these stones they managed to begin beating back the undead. On and on they fought, ever forward as the armies fell ever back, even to the portal they had spewed forth from. The archmages made their last stand at the rift leading the entire army of undead. The heros somehow mangaged to slay every mage save for Corandus who upon being mortally wounded, used his own life force to stop the portals closing.

To this day, the Order of Ricta maintains a constant gaurd against the constant surge of undead through the portal, eternally attempting to finish the conquest they had begun.
Every year the Order sends a few select warriors of distinction to the other kingdoms to recruit men and women for the task of gaurding the rift. Few are ever heard from again. Some of the crueler or more tyrannical kingdoms send prisoners and political enemies...other free kingdoms insist only volunteers are sent. Though this fact is hotly debated by some, as loved ones and strangers sometimes disappear as the Order departs.

Aemos finishes his tale and pauses.

It is the recent rumors and my own investigations that have led the Empire to believe that something is amiss with the Order. Why are they pressing more people into their service? Is something of concern happening at the Dead Wall? Is the leadership becoming corrupt?

As of now our orders are to merely investigate the Ricta, but I predict that we will do much more than simple observation.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-20, 11:47 PM
Instead of following his normal routine of listning in on only interesting parts, he listned carefully, whether it was because of the wizards interesting way of telling tales, or the fact that the half-orc was really interested in finding out about this order, even he doesn't know.

"Thank you for taking the time to tell me more about this adventure I am going on. I can't wait for the 'more than simple observation' part of it. I'll be able to use my new weapons." And at that the half-orc will stay with the wizard, in case there is anything else he would like to say.

Whiplord
2007-08-20, 11:52 PM
Veritas, riding close by listens in on the story with a similar rapt attention, as of that that Mikt' displayed.

Bronz
2007-08-21, 08:21 AM
Silv on the other hand, seemed to completely ignore the wizard's story. Whether or not he was actually listening is anyone's guess.

He instead chose to keep an eye out for the "casual observers", or any other problems.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-21, 05:41 PM
As you gather outside and mount your horses, Silv sees the first brightening of the Eastern sky as the sun begins to rise. The stars slowly retreat west back into the dark arms of their mother night. The day promises to be clear and warm, a beautiful autumn day with only a few clouds drifting by lazily. The messenger quickly moves through your group, touching each of you lightly with his fingertips, you feel the drain of the long night slowly retreating and the rested energy of a full nights sleep fill you all. The messenger steps back from you all and points to the road heading north. "Now go. The Empire willing you shall catch those wretches within a day or two."

13_CBS
2007-08-21, 06:40 PM
A salute. For the Empire.

And Aemos is off, riding hard after the Rictan caravans.

Whiplord
2007-08-21, 08:11 PM
Veritas follows suit, digging his heels into his horses flanks, and galloping off after Aemos, a grin still spread across his youthful face.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-21, 08:28 PM
You ride north. The green fields of Perax peel slowly away behind you, the farmers and herders moving about their daily lives, though with less vigor than normal, most likely attributed to the prior weeks celebrations. Ahead of you the Crystal Mountains rise like a line of steadfast sentries guarding the only known passage north to the free lands of Sairn. You ride past slowly lumbering oxen tugging along heavily laden wagons carrying goods from the city newly aquired or unsold. The people, though weary from the festivities offer polite nods as you pass, the children playing in the fields see the five of you racing north and they run alongside, playing at war or heroes.

The day passes uneventfully and the mountains continue rising higher and higher until you reach the gently rolling hills of the mountain ranges feet. At the entrance to the mountain passage, known as High Pass a small trading village has grown. The main road continues straight through, to the left a two-story inn stands firm, built out of an outcropping of rock jutting from a mountain, several steeds whinney from the stable. A sign hangs over the entrance bearing the likeness of a Dwarven woman in repose, The Lazy Lass.

To the right a small general store and beyond that a 3 story watch tower stands guard in the center of the road, a pair of sentries stand guard, watching the pass for raiders.

Whiplord
2007-08-21, 08:47 PM
[[this is assuming we stop at all]]

Veritas reins in his horse and looks around the small town before turning to Aemos. "Will we stop here for the night, or continue on? I wish for rest, but I can continue if need be. I understand the need for haste," He pauses, and reaches down to pat his horse's neck, as well as the donkey Rose, who miraculously managed to keep up with the pace they set, "but I am not sure about the horses. They are tired and need rest it seems."

Bronz
2007-08-21, 09:21 PM
It is a good idea to rest. We may hear a thing or two, at that.

With that, Silv takes the lead and hops off his horse. He leads the horse directly to the inn, where he promptly orders a round and finds the rowdiest table to sit at.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-21, 09:28 PM
"Yes, I'm sleepy, and we can buy supplies in the morning too."

He ties up his horse and heads into the Inn, and sits down with Silv, after ordering some ale.

13_CBS
2007-08-21, 09:36 PM
I agree. It would a waste to ride these horses to exhaustion. There is also the advantage of appearing to the Rictans that we were hurrying, but not desperatly so.

Protocol dictates that I pay for room and board. He proceeds to negotiate prices for 5 rooms and 6 stables. Afterwards, he will retire to his room to study, meditate, and rest.

Whiplord
2007-08-21, 09:44 PM
Veritas shrugs and get's off his horse, handing Rose, and the horse (I should really think of a name for him... hmm.) off to a waiting stable boy, before following the others into the inn.

Upon entering, he spots Silv and Mikt' at a table, and heads over to join them.

Either way, unless something drastic happens, he will go upstairs to sleep, and hold his vigil with Pelor after eating.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-21, 10:14 PM
Aemos: The price is 2 copper for the upstairs rooms, a copper for the downstairs bay(lotsa beds, one long room).

Silv, Mikt, and Veritas: You settle at the table full of drunken miners. Through all the drinking and singing you manage to pry out of the drunks that....

* The Rictans left very late last night after a temporary stop to water the horses.

* One of the Rictan recruits managed to escape the clutches of the Rictans and disappeared into the mountains or hills nearby.

* One of the stable boys overheard the Rictans speaking of the dangers of the High Pass and the Plains beyond full of Barbarians and much worse.

* The barkeep was heard discussing differances between the Battleheart Mountains and the SkyPeak Ranges.

From their, they degrade into stories of debauchery and drunken nights.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-21, 10:20 PM
"Too tired to think. It's hard enough all ready."

He'll go up or down to the room's, whatever is paid for, and then sleep.

Bronz
2007-08-21, 11:13 PM
After hearing all that he thought relevant, Silv winds down. He drinks til the last of the miners either passes out or leaves, or if neither happens he will finally let up when the sun rises. All of it gets put on the Wizard's tab.

He will very certainly be cranky in the morning!

Whiplord
2007-08-22, 12:08 AM
As soon as the useful talk died away, Veritas excuses himslef and goes off to bed.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-22, 03:37 PM
The night passes quietly once the revelry from the drunks diminishes. {all studies and prayers required are completed for those who need them} The morning dawns clear and bright, the sounds of the kitchen drifting up through the floorboards tell you breakfast is being prepared and served. Several voices drift up from the common room discussing the days activities and the weather. You each wake fully rested from a very deep and dreamless sleep, an after effect of the spell cast on you by the messenger.

Bronz
2007-08-22, 03:52 PM
Silv awakes expecting one of the worst hangovers he has ever experienced...only to wake feeling refreshed, and invigorated.

This serving the empire thing is really working out so far. Guess it's time for a new day.

The smell of breakfast slowly invigorates him, and soon enough Silv is downstairs, sharing a meal with anyone that will forgive his foul mouth.

Whiplord
2007-08-22, 03:58 PM
Veritas awakens, looking around disoriented for a minute, not recognizing his surroundings. Then it comes to him. The empire... Rictans......Dead wall... I remember now. An adventure!

And with that thought, he springs out of bed, hurriedly gets dressed and puts on his armor, and heads downstairs.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-22, 04:04 PM
Mikt'

"Urrrg"

Mikt' stumbles out of bed, throws on his clothes, puts on his armor, and goes downstairs.

"Foood."

He sits down at a table and waits for the foood.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-22, 04:07 PM
There are few occupied tables, and as Silv walks downstairs the waitress leads him to a large rectangle table in the front corner, near a large picture window. The curtains are thrown back and open out onto the main street. She takes each of your orders and moves back to prepare them, leaving a basket of bread on the table and a pitcher of cool water with a mug for each of you.

Bronz
2007-08-22, 04:09 PM
So..*chomp*...what direction do you think the mage'll want to take *burrrrp*
The escapee or follow the troops?

Silv then cuts off all discussion, as he drains the glass next to him, with liquids pouring out the sides and everywhere else.

13_CBS
2007-08-22, 04:38 PM
Feeling refreshed, Aemos tidies himself up, dresses in his usual traveling clothes, and walks downstairs, reading a thick book.

I see you are all awake, he says, while helping himself to some fresh bread. Did the locals happen to mention anything during the night? I went directly to my quarters, so I was unable to glean any information from the boozehounds.

Bronz
2007-08-22, 04:46 PM
Silv enters a lengthy exposition, giving the details of the useful information gleaned from the gathering last night.

However, it is fairly hard to understand him, as fresh bread is being chewed at the same time, and new bread enters when his mouth is empty.

The words escapee and following seem to stand out the most.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-22, 05:04 PM
The waitress returns, bearing plates of food to order. She serves them out quickly and deftly, replacing the water pitcher with a fresh pitcher of cold milk, she returns a moment later with a smaller pitcher with an aromatic steaming black liquid in it, she lays out 4 small cups with it and says off-handedly. "oh, your tall young friend...the barbarian...he left last night, something about fresh air and he'd catch up to you down the road or not." Finished with the message she turns and moves back to the bar, watching for anyone needing her and sipping a small cup filled with the black liquid.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-22, 05:04 PM
"*Munch Yeah, that's it. *Munch What should we do, wizard which I do not know the name of? In fact,* I don't know anyone's name really.*Munch What are they? I'm *Munch Mikt'."

13_CBS
2007-08-22, 05:11 PM
Ah, yes, I have not introduced myself to you yet. I am Aemos, Imperial field wizard.

As for our barbarian friend...if he is confident that we will meet him later down the road, then that is what we shall do.

But what of this "escapee"? Did someone flee a prison caravan?

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-22, 05:13 PM
"Hello Aemos"

He holds out a greasy, sticky hand, presumably for you to shake.

13_CBS
2007-08-22, 05:17 PM
Aemos merely looks at the hand, covers his own in a hankerchief, and shakes it.

Bronz
2007-08-22, 05:30 PM
Silv looks at Aemos like he is a bit slow, and repeats his stories, this time the word cave is prominent.

Silv continues to eat the bread, hoping that it will absorb all of the alcohol from the night before.

He then turns to the Half-Orc. *Shilv*, as he points to himself, with bread flying out of his mouth.

13_CBS
2007-08-22, 05:38 PM
I see...so now we are given the choice of either chasing the escapee or following the caravan...

And next time, speak first, and then eat, or vice versa. I cannot understand you if your words are muffled by your attempts at gorging.

Bronz
2007-08-22, 06:46 PM
Silv becomes suddenly still, and stops chewing for a moment. He looks very hard at the wizard.

"Mufadlfjasdf;ljafjfalejthalaeiadkektlal"

The words are very muffled, but the intent behind them seems clear enough.

Silv then pours a long glass of milk and drains it like before, finally clearing his throat of breakfast.

"Well, which is it then?"

13_CBS
2007-08-22, 06:50 PM
Hmm...yes...that is the conundrum, is it not? On one hand we could chase down the escapee and see if we could collect valuable information from him. On the other hand, if it turns out to be a wild goose chase, we will probably not reach the caravan in time.

Are you a tracker, Silv? Perhaps you could estimate how long it would take to hunt down the escapee. As a field wizard I have little experience in these matters.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-22, 06:51 PM
"Mikt' want's to fight. Mikt' will go the war where the battles are."

Bronz
2007-08-22, 06:53 PM
I most certainly am multi-talented, but a tracker I'm not. Maybe you could hire one?

blkhawk26281
2007-08-22, 06:58 PM
The waitress returns, shaking her head at Silv's display of gorging, she retrieves the empty plates and the enpty glasses. She returns to the back of the bar, dumping the dirty dishes, she then returns to her previous position of waiting.
The others in the common room have finished eating and have slowly filed out, grumbling about returning to work. A pair of Peraxian soldiers enter as the group leaves, they move to a table opposite the door of yours, they rub their eyes wearily, obviously here for their breakfast after getting off guard duty last night.
The waitress moves to them, taking their orders and moving along to prep them. The guards continue talking quietly to each other as they wait.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-22, 07:00 PM
Listen Check:

[roll0]

13_CBS
2007-08-22, 07:05 PM
Aemos glances at the guards and tries to eavesdrop while pretending to be minding his own business.

Listen check: [roll0]

blkhawk26281
2007-08-22, 07:06 PM
{Success: Mikt and Aemos}

Guard 1 "....I have no intention of requesting to find the honorless bastard who shirked his duty."

Guard 2 "Aren't you the least bit curious as to why he fled? or why in the name of Pelor would he head into the mountains? He'll be strung up over a goblin cookfire before the sun is high."

Guard 1 "I couldn't care less...now...the tower of smoke to the north, now that piques my curiosity. The Rictans must've run across some of the goblins and tossed them in their own fires."

Guard 2 "I still say we owe it to the sap who fled to find and aid him"

The two continue laughing and arguing about the escapee and the tower of smoke.

13_CBS
2007-08-22, 09:50 PM
Hmm...did any of you catch some of that?

Whiplord
2007-08-22, 11:29 PM
Veritas has sat impartially, till now. Finally he shrugs. "I'll leave lit up to you people. I claim no expertise in decision making."

13_CBS
2007-08-23, 12:06 AM
And I am no expert in tracking. I would prefer to follow our orders as they were given, but it may be unwise to give up an opportunity to gather additional information on the Ricta before we spy on them.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-23, 01:02 PM
The waitress approaches your table again with a long slender sheet of parchment. "Forgive me sirs, I know this is an interruption unneeded but there is the matter of your bill...Now, let's see. 4 rooms at a silver apiece, 4 meals at breakfast, 5 wines, 6 mugs of ale, and 2 slivers of spirits....for a total of 9 silver pieces and 2 copper." She looks about the table, waiting for someone to accept the bill and pay the charges.

Bronz
2007-08-23, 01:05 PM
It would also seem unwise to follow orders to the letter, as leaders are never ones to see every angle.

Speaking of leaders, seems like someone's waiting for you, Wizard.

At that, Silv gestures over to the waitress and gives a hearty laugh.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-23, 02:08 PM
"Mikt' heard what they said. Mikt' not really understand, but Mikt' wants to save runaway."

"Here you go, nice lady. A tip for your..Niceness."

The Half-Orc hands over two gold peices, apparently not knowing the concept of math.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-23, 02:27 PM
She takes the money pockets a gold, sliding the other back to the Half-Orc, figuring the rest of the first gold will be her tip. She offers a polite smile and moves away, lifting a broom and starting to clean to start preparing for the noonday meal.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-23, 03:32 PM
"What about this one? This is for you."

Mikt' walks over to the cleaning waitress and puts the gold in her pocket, then walks over to the table and eats whatever is left, if there is anything.

13_CBS
2007-08-23, 04:04 PM
The wizard ponders some more. Incompetence is irrelevant. We were given orders, so we must follow them. I wonder, however, if persuing the escapee could ultimately assisst our cause...

I am unsure. I shall leave the decision to you all, but as of now I would prefer to do directly as our orders tell us.

Whiplord
2007-08-23, 04:23 PM
"I am fine with merely continuing our pursuit."

Bronz
2007-08-23, 04:38 PM
Silv merely shrugs.

The reward is there either way. But let's pick one quickly. I'm getting anxious.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-23, 04:45 PM
The waitress shrugs and pockets the extra gold, her eyes momentarily lighting with delight. She moves and clears the table of the two guards and they pay and walk out, the second guard says he is going to return to the tower for another look at the smoke to the North, the first laughs and tells him to enjoy as he is going straight to his bunk. They depart and the common room is now empty save the four of you, the waitress, and the barkeep.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-23, 07:55 PM
A few moments after the guards depart you hear the sound of alarm being raised. The barkeep's eyes go wide and he moves to the backroom, returning in moments carrying a well worn axe and tugging a suit of chain mail over his portly gut. Outside you can see the few people milling about rush into their homes and all the guards not on duty emerging from the barracks and charging toward the watch tower. From your vantage point through the window you can see all the guards forming up into defensive lines at the base of the tower. A paltry 10 guards stand ready with at least 2 still in the tower on watch. They are all looking North where the tower of smoke has slowly dissipated to be replaced by a cloud of dust rising along the High Pass, straight towards the tower.

Bronz
2007-08-23, 08:53 PM
What's all the fuss? Silv says to no one in particular.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-23, 08:57 PM
The barkeep turns to Silv, "The alarm is sounded whenever the two guards on watch see something or some army moving towards the town." He points with the axe head to the cloud of dust moving swiftly out of the mountains through the narrow pass towards the town, it's origin hidden behind the mountains walls and the twists of the narrow passage. "Something is comin'...an' fast it looks like."

13_CBS
2007-08-23, 09:13 PM
The wizard peers at the dust cloud as well.

Most preturbatory...not only could a large army possibly destroy us and this town, but it could also lay siege to it and severely delay our orders. I say that we move out as soon as possible.

Bronz
2007-08-23, 09:18 PM
That dust cloud could just be a fast moving horse. I'm with you though, no reason to take that chance.

//For future reference 13, Silv would have previously mentioned in the affirmative that he can track, though he would admit it grudgingly.//

Whiplord
2007-08-24, 12:04 PM
Veritas heads to the window as well, looking in the direction Silv does. He starts wring his hands at the sight of the dust cloud. "Oh dear... This doesn't look very good... Should we run? If it is an army, we certainly can't face it on our own."

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-24, 12:21 PM
At the sound of the alarm being raised, Mikt' stands up immediately at attention.

"A fight?"

As he says this he draws his greatsword.

"I need to test weapons, this could be my chance!"

He starts walking towards the door, not expecting anyone to say anything to him. When Ameos says that we have to get out A.S.A.P., the Half-Orc turns around, looking very angry.

"We need practice though!"He says in a rough voice. Then, a little bit softer, he says "Can't we just stay a little bit?"

13_CBS
2007-08-24, 03:30 PM
If that IS an army heading for this location, then staying will only endanger the mission.

Pack your belongings and get ready to leave. We must leave at a moment's notice. While you do so, I will inquire the guards to see whether or not the incoming dust cloud is an army or not.

Bronz
2007-08-24, 03:40 PM
Silv pats himself down, seems to making sure that everything is in its place.

Packed! I'm coming with.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-25, 11:15 AM
As you all gather your belongings ready to bolt at the first sign of an invading army the first horse comes bolting out of the pass. The are huge horses, with long shaggy hair. Their eyes are wild and nostrils flared from the hard run, they continue pouring out of the pass. You can see a few of the horses dragging along the remains of a wagon. But every horse, is riderless. The guards move about the horses trying to snatch the fleeing horses reins. A few of the animals begin to draw up and move through the town searching for water in the rain barrels and the water troughs. You can easily see coppery red stains on some of the horses brown hides. Though they themselves seem unhurt.

13_CBS
2007-08-25, 12:39 PM
Aemos will quietly stand to the side in order to listen to what the newcomers say.

Bronz
2007-08-25, 01:08 PM
Silv on the other hand gets right into the thick of it, weapons drawn just in case.

"What's going on here?!"

blkhawk26281
2007-08-25, 01:19 PM
The barkeep shakes his head and looks to those still standing in the doorway whispering, "Gods help us, it looks like they've all been killed."

Outside the Inn the guards are slowly gathering the panting animals into a corral. As Silv gets closer to the action he can see several arrow shafts still quivering from some of the horses flanks. The guards carefully draw the arrows out and slap some salve on the wounds, all the while trying to calm the horses. The captain of the watch emerges from the tower shouting to his men, "I want order here! You there draw some more water from the wells, have the blood washed off the beasts before they trample us all! You gather some men to enter the pass and see what in the blazes happened here!" You see guards beginning to follow the orders promptly.

Whiplord
2007-08-25, 04:32 PM
Veritas rushes out to see what's going on, hoping there might be some survivors. Seeing none, he shakes his head sadly and turns to Aemos. "I think it's time we continue our chase." His eyes narrow in what is clearly anger.

13_CBS
2007-08-25, 08:32 PM
The wizard stares at the chaotic scene and slowly nods his head.

Yes. The mission is paramount.

As for where we go...if someone here thinks that we can overtake the escapee and rendevous with the Rictan caravan again in time, that will be the plan. If not, the escapee is irrelevant.

Whiplord
2007-08-25, 11:32 PM
Veritas pauses and thinks for a second. "Perhaps we could do that.... But we would have to ride hard to do so... And we do not even know where the escapee is. Unless your magic can help with that? Either way... it might be possible. I know not.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-25, 11:52 PM
The Half-Orc runs into the crowd with his weapon still drawn, looking for anything hostile. When he finds none, he lowers his weapon, and wanders about aimlessly.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-26, 12:11 AM
The guards, having managed to corral all the horses and ending the suffering of the few who were beyond help, begin to regroup. The townspeople begin milling back out onto the street, some of them gathering in groups discussing the stampede, wondering at what disaster befell the Rictans. Some mention Goblins, others say it was a rogue dragon, a few even suggest the Lundanites may have done it, all of these are bandied around, argued for and against. The Innkeeper just shakes his head and with the end to the excitement, walks back in, shouting for the barmaids to begin prepping for the lunch rush of miners returning from work.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-26, 12:24 AM
When Mikt' realizes there will be no fight, he walks back towards everyone else, to hear the ending conversation about the escapee.

"Mikt' wants to do something, Mikt' needs to fight. Stupid horses don't know what they are doing, making me think there would be a battle. Those stupid horses should stay with masters...[Continues to grumbe about the 'stupid horses'.]"

13_CBS
2007-08-26, 12:28 AM
Aemos ponders for a moment, then says,

Then let us attempt to follow the Rictans' former path and investigate what caused their demise. If mere bandits fell upon them, which I doubt, then by alerting the local authorities to the brigands we can enforce the law of the land and perhaps be the bearers of news to the Rictans, thus forging a relationship with them.

If it was more than bandits, then we may hurry and alert the Rictans ourselves. We must do this, however, so that it does not seem as if we were the ones to destroy their caravan.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-26, 04:42 PM
The stableboy comes from around the corner, leading four horses and an ass. He smiles shyly and explains the fifth horse will be held here until the other returns for it. The sun is shining brightly now and the day promises to be hot and dry. The stable boy hands you each the reins to your mounts, explaining as he does the Inn keep told him you four looked like you were ready to depart swiftly.

Bronz
2007-08-26, 05:44 PM
Silv again hops on his horse with ease.

"If it is necessary, let's go to this battle scene and see what happened. Perhaps I can discern something from the mess of tracks around that place.

As the wizard says, the mission is paramount, and that's what'll get us paid."

At that, Silv *heeyah's* and takes off, and waits a bit further up the road, so there is no further indecision.

Whiplord
2007-08-26, 05:46 PM
Veritas also mounts, tying Rose's lead to the bridle of his horse. "Well then, let us be off!"

13_CBS
2007-08-26, 08:32 PM
A nod. Agreed. Aemos spurs his mount into action.

((Hi ho, Silver, away!))

blkhawk26281
2007-08-27, 05:27 AM
The pass through the mountains is more of a fissure in the center of a series of large mountains. The fissure at first is flat and level, it's sides, cut smooth and straight. As you ride hard through the pass the ground starts to gently slope upwards and the walls seem to close in tighter, a thin strip of blue above you is the only indication of sky. The ride is comfortable though as the pass is wide enough for two wagons to pass each other...barely.

As you all continue riding North the smell of bitter sweet smoke is picked up, growing slowly stronger as you ride north. Then, as you crest what you can only assume is the center of the pass, the path widens before you and you find yourselves at the top of a mountain. The peak looks like it was cleaved off horizontally to make a straight and level surface. The road is marked as a slightly recessed path running through. The peak itself has been surrounded with a low stone wall encircling the area, of what looks almost like a rest area for theose traveling the pass.

And then you see...all around you are charred scorches on the ground, some still cindering, others drifting away in slow swirls of ash kicked up by the steady breeze atop the mountain. They lay here and there, some in smll groups, others just look as though they were burned where they fell.

13_CBS
2007-08-27, 07:31 AM
Aemos slowly walks among the scene, inspecting each burned body.

Many of these bodies burned where they stood. I suspect magic.

((I'll roll a Knowledge check as soon as I get home))

Bronz
2007-08-27, 07:53 AM
Silv turns to the mage.
You SUSPECT magic? I know of no mundane means to do this. What actually happened here is far less important at this point than the who.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-27, 10:56 AM
"There was a fight? We missed it! Oh well, maybe these dead guys haves some cool stuff for me."

((I search their bodies for 'cool stuff'.))

13_CBS
2007-08-27, 11:30 AM
Silv turns to the mage.
You SUSPECT magic? I know of no mundane means to do this. What actually happened here is far less important at this point than the who.

Aemos's eyes flash annoyance. Obviously it is magic. My musings were on what spell that did this work.

It would be wise to find out what sort of magic destroyed this caravan, if only so that we can see what we may be up against.

He turns to Mikt.

Then proceed, but beware of collecting the wrong trinket from the wrong corpse. We may be suspected of slaughtering the caravan ourselves if we come back bearing an heirloom as a trophy.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-27, 11:48 AM
Mikt' looks at Ameos with a blank stare.

"Huh?"

he says, as he continues to search the bodies.

13_CBS
2007-08-27, 03:33 PM
Aemos sighs.

Just...avoid things that are too shiny.

Aemos kneels and peers down at a burnt corpse, trying to discern what spell could have done this...

Knowledge: arcana check [roll0]
Spellcraft check [roll1]

blkhawk26281
2007-08-27, 04:27 PM
Aemos: As you examine the body you notice instantly that each corpses feet are encased in the rock up to about their ankles. Their bodies are burned badly but each corpses torso also bears a terrible hole through each chest that is cracked and blackened from entrance to exit. You notice a pattern develop as the corpses closest to the Eastern Wall have larger holes burned through them and they slowly shrink in size until they reach the last few.

Silv: As you look around you can see several piles of horse manure off to one side of the rest are between the north and south pass roads. A closer examination reveals scratches in the smooth rock made by large horse shoes. You can see a group of pitons hammered into the rock and bits of rope run through them here and there, each end of the rope is cleanly sheared.

Veritas: You can sense, just standing among the bodies that these men were willfully and purposefully kept trapped and slain helplessly, unable to move. The stench of a foul divinity permeates the air directly around each corpse as if each were touch by a power of pure evil.

Mikt: Rummaging through the bodies you find : (6) Common Long Swords, (12) Daggers, (12) sets of Human sized Leather Armor (destroyed), (1) Locket, Silver engraved "Beloved", (4) PP, (40) GP, (90) SP, (300) CP All contained within a small chest unlocked, (12) Pair of Boots, (12) Traveling cloaks, (12) Shortbows, (12) Quivers each have 10 arros, flight, (12) Pair of Gloves, Light.

Whiplord
2007-08-27, 04:41 PM
Veritas stares upon the scene with horror. "Something is...wrong...here. Terribly wrong. It's unnatural... evil. I can feel it in the air..." Veritas cuts off suddenly.
He looks around at the bodies once more and a small moan escapes his lips.

"Oh Light! I can feel it against my skin, crawling, writhing..."

He turns to Aemos with fear glinting in his eyes. "We need to leave. Now."

Bronz
2007-08-27, 04:50 PM
These horses were cut loose. Probably to scare and cause chaos.
Silv thinks for a moment.

Brilliant strategy, really.

13_CBS
2007-08-27, 06:38 PM
Aemos gazes at Veritas. Leave? But we have much more to inspect...

A moment of realization...

...I see...you must tell me cleric, what is it that you feel? Anything beyond a terrible premonition?

As for my investigations, I can only discern that something has burned large holes into the chest of the corpses, and that the closer the corpses are to the Eastern Wall, the larger the hole. The feet seem to be encased in rocks as well. He says all of this with a scientific fascination.

He thinks some more, puttng together a few puzzle pieces in his head.

Yes...yes, yes! The spells...the one that caused the burns and the torso wounds was the Chain Lightning spell. Only lightning could have burned the bodies with such precision, as well as burn a hole into something as thick as a human chest. As for the ankles, it was a Stone to Mud spell, hence the matter around their ankles.

My hypothesis is that some powerful being decided to destroy this caravan by first trappng the warriors in mud and then finishing them off with the lightning spell. Evidence of this arises from the spells used, Chain Lightning and Stone to Mud, both powreful spells far beyond my capabilies.

Most preturbatory...if it was a human hand that caused this, it is likely that we will run into a powerful cleric, or worse, a mage, sooner or later.

It is strange to see Aemos this fascinated by, well, anything really. He seems to consider Veritas's exclamation and Silv's hypothesis at first, but he then slips into his own world, trying to figure out the magical mechanics of the two spells that destroyed the caravan.

Bronz
2007-08-27, 06:43 PM
Well, it seems to me the action to be taken would be to investigate.

Silv hops back on his horse, and gallops towards the wall.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-27, 08:44 PM
The sun has crested and begun it's downward turn, it's fiery glow rests halfway between high sun and the horizon. Silv sees his shadow before him slide along the rocks as he moves and quickly stand before him on the rock face of the eastern side of the pass. The wall is nothing more than a smoothly cut rock face, the sheer engineering of the pass and the road through it strikes home and you know beyond a shadow of a doubt the path and pass were carved through the mountains by dwarves. Not even a tool mark can be found in the rock face. At the base of the wall about four feet in front, towards the first corpses, the smooth face of the stone ground has been slit about five feet across.

The slit is clean and precise as though the gods had dropped a freshly sharpened razor, even a small pebble has been cut neatly in two and here near the rock face the scent of ozone still lingers and mixed with the scent of ozone is that same scent you remember from the tavern in Perax...that smell of decay and death...and then it's gone as a stiff mountain wind blows through the pass.

Edit: Veritas, as the wind blows the scent away you feel relief wash over you gently...

Aemos: As you continue studying the corpses, you notice something clenched tightly in the corpses burned fingers.

13_CBS
2007-08-27, 10:07 PM
Hmm...

Aemos stoops down to pry the dead fingers loose.

Bronz
2007-08-27, 10:09 PM
Anyone have a clue why there would be a giant FISSURE in the ground here?
This is not natural, not natural at all.

Silv stops his riding, and actually looks a bit distraught.

Whiplord
2007-08-28, 12:03 AM
Veritas shudders once more. "There is a feeling of great evil around the bodies. It seems obvious to me they were left in this tortired way as a warning to any who may try and follow." He swallows, and then continues, "From the feeling, it is either as you say, a very powerful cleric or," his face blanches, "a god itself. Let us hope it is only the former."

blkhawk26281
2007-08-28, 05:20 AM
The burned and blackened fingers crumble slowly into ash as you pry at them leaving only a skeletal hand clutching a ragged piece of red cloth. It has no markings on it whatsoever, just a well made piece of cloth with one long frayed edge.

13_CBS
2007-08-28, 06:24 AM
A fragment of cloth...a piece of a puzzle, perhaps?

Hmm...a fissure, the possibility of a cleric. Many clues, yet no answers.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-28, 09:28 AM
Aemos: As you examine the body you notice instantly that each corpses feet are encased in the rock up to about their ankles. Their bodies are burned badly but each corpses torso also bears a terrible hole through each chest that is cracked and blackened from entrance to exit. You notice a pattern develop as the corpses closest to the Eastern Wall have larger holes burned through them and they slowly shrink in size until they reach the last few.

Silv: As you look around you can see several piles of horse manure off to one side of the rest are between the north and south pass roads. A closer examination reveals scratches in the smooth rock made by large horse shoes. You can see a group of pitons hammered into the rock and bits of rope run through them here and there, each end of the rope is cleanly sheared.

Veritas: You can sense, just standing among the bodies that these men were willfully and purposefully kept trapped and slain helplessly, unable to move. The stench of a foul divinity permeates the air directly around each corpse as if each were touch by a power of pure evil.

Mikt: Rummaging through the bodies you find : (6) Common Long Swords, (12) Daggers, (12) sets of Human sized Leather Armor (destroyed), (1) Locket, Silver engraved "Beloved", (4) PP, (40) GP, (90) SP, (300) CP All contained within a small chest unlocked, (12) Pair of Boots, (12) Traveling cloaks, (12) Shortbows, (12) Quivers each have 10 arros, flight, (12) Pair of Gloves, Light.

I'll take two daggers and the bolded stuff(gold), and lay the rest of the stuff out for everyone to see.

"Mikt' confused. Why people die like this?What is red cloth for? Puzzles too hard for Mikt'."

Whiplord
2007-08-28, 12:09 PM
Veritas sighs before turning to the half orc. "It seems someone dislikes the Rictans."

Turning back to Aemos, "As for the red cloth, perhaps the man managed to reach the assailant? I guess we should keep an eye for a torn red cloak."

Bronz
2007-08-28, 12:34 PM
Silv ends up just standing there, not knowing what to do.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-28, 03:43 PM
{OOC Note: The "Fissure" is about a 1/4 of an inch wide and around 4-5 feet in length, straight and true, it's broad sides facing the group of corpses and the other facing the East rock face.}

The day is beginning to wane as the sun continues inching slowly down the western sky. Far to the north, beyond the mountains you can see the plains of the Freelands, a vast expanse of plains and hill lands unsettled by any nation, though Lundan claims the territory as it's own, it has never been able to establish dominance over the freespirited barbarians and halflings which call it home. The sky over the plains is slowly growing darker as clouds come together slowly, an occasional flash of lighting illuminates the cloud bank, though the storm is far away and no rumble of thunder reaches you.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-28, 06:08 PM
"Guys, what we do now? Go back or move forward?"

blkhawk26281
2007-08-28, 06:15 PM
VERITAS, Cleric of Pelor

Veritas stands near Aemos, remaining silent and watching the others, doing everything in his power to avoid looking at the corpses and avoid that feeling and scent of decay returning. He waits, his eyes searching his companions for a hint as to the next course of action.

Bronz
2007-08-28, 06:18 PM
Silv simply looks over at Aemos, and shrugs.

13_CBS
2007-08-28, 07:07 PM
Aemos sighs.

I do not think there is much more to be found here. We know that someone or something with great power destroyed this caravan using two high-level spells. We cannot be sure whether or not the Rictans were targeted out of hatred, sheer spite, a misunderstanding, or something else. And, of course, there is strange fissure...

A storm is coming. We should move to shelter soon. Know you of any potential havens for us, Silv? Aemos motions for everyone to get back on their horses and set off for shelter.

And before I forget...does anyone here remember the color of the cloak of that mysterious cloaked one we tried to follow in the inn where we all first met?

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-28, 07:34 PM
"What about escaper? What cloaked man? Mikt' always confused." And at that he looks at himself sadly.

13_CBS
2007-08-28, 07:36 PM
We will have to plan and search later. As I said, a storm is coming, and I do not wish to be caught outside in one.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-28, 07:45 PM
"Alright." The half-orc says reluctantly while slowly heading over to his horse, who is slightly tired out from the ride here, with the large half-orc on his back. He whinnies softly as Mikt' hops on.

Bronz
2007-08-28, 07:46 PM
I will look around.
Silv seems at least satisfied to be moving again, and to get his mind off of things.

[roll0]

[roll1] //To remember the color of the cloak of the man I followed

13_CBS
2007-08-28, 08:12 PM
((I guess I'll make an int check as well:))

[roll0]

blkhawk26281
2007-08-28, 08:31 PM
As Silv wanders the area searching for a shelter of some sort he comes across a small cave entrance on the western flat of the area you are in, the entrance is large enough for a wagon to enter and the ground slopes slowly down about 10 feet to a large cavern. The cavern opens to about 25 by 25 with a 10 foot high ceiling. The cavern shows signs of constant and repeated occupation. A small stone circle in the center surrounds fresh firewood laid by the last travelers, a small hole is carved into the ceiling to act as a chimney for the fire's smoke.

For the life of him Silv can't recall the color of the man's cloak and as a matter of fact the whole night seems a little fuzzy, perhaps the residue of one too many mugs of spirits.

EDIT: Aemos recalls the Rictan was wearing a heavy gray cloak...as a matter of fact all of the Rictans clothing was one shade of gray or another.

Bronz
2007-08-28, 08:42 PM
Over here.

Silv waves the rest over, not feeling very confident seeing there is a ready made shelter. Perhaps he can at least get the fire going...

Silv appears quite hazy, and absolutely the opposite of his normal self.

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-28, 08:47 PM
"Does everyone have food? If not, I'll be glad to have various encounters with wild animals for food![Winks at DM] I have food."

He eats his food, sets up a bed out of dirt, for lack of a bedroll, and sleeps, unless he can go fight for food. Then that's what he'll do.

((I'm really in the mood for a battle right now. :smallcool: ))

blkhawk26281
2007-08-28, 08:50 PM
Veritas, Cleric of Pelor

Veritas follows the others into the cave, he sits himself down near the circle of firewood and shakes his head softly, trying to rid his nostrils of the clinging scent of decay around the scene of the attack. He holds his holy symbol in one hand, whispering soft prayers to Pelor.

13_CBS
2007-08-28, 10:58 PM
Aemos sets down his things in the convenient campsite and peers out into the darkness, looking contemplative. The lightning strikes in the distance only seem to make him think more deeply.

blkhawk26281
2007-08-29, 03:50 PM
You all slowly sink into sleep, the weariness from the long road and gruesome discovery drape over you like a heavy curtain pulling you each down to sleep. The night passes slowly and as the hours tick by the storm approaches. The heat of the day is first blown away by the cool wind leading the charge of the storm, followed by the low rumble of thunder steadily growing louder. Then the storm breaks upon the mountain and you are all roused from your rest by a particularly loud burst of thunder. The lightning seems to be steadily assaulting the mountain top as flash after flash lighten the dark cavern. The fire has died down to a barely visible flame on a bed of embers.

Then...the smell returns. Visions of that night in Perax flash in your mind, that sense of unease and "wrongness" permeate your sleep weary state. The scent continues to strengthen, death, decay, unrest, war, disease, plague, all the terrible plights that haunt every beings dreams assail you and in the next flash of lightning you see a silhoutte at the caverns mouth. Another flash and two more silhouttes join the first...slowly, slowly they continue their march into the cave. You can hear the wind screaming now as the storm reaches it's peak. Another flash and more silhouttes....the things, the shadows, whatever they are, they are coming straight to you....

{Roll Initiatives please}

Bronz
2007-08-29, 03:57 PM
Silv rolls up with a start, trying to make heads or tails of what is coming into the cave.

[roll0]

iamkoolerthanu
2007-08-29, 04:25 PM
((Shouldn't the DM roll initiative, to speed things up? I could be wrong...:smalleek:))

[roll0]

"Yes, a fight!" Says the Half-Orc, sleep instantly being removed from his body as soon as he realizes whats going on. He is instatly ready for what ever approches.

EDIT: Should we assume our weapons are drawn, or would that take an action. Either way, I'll have my greatsword at the ready or being drawn. I just wasted a perfectly good 20. :smalleek: Oh well, at least I get to be one of the first. :smallbiggrin:

EDITx2: With a greatsword, a base attack bonus of +3, a total of 8 for melee, and a strength of +5(20), what would my addition to damage be?

13_CBS
2007-08-29, 05:22 PM
Aemos wakes up with a start, as well.

(Initiative roll [roll0])