PDA

View Full Version : Design Requests- Dinos

Haldir
2017-08-31, 12:35 PM
Just got a freelancing gig designing a dinosaur-themed adventure. Took a gander at some of the 5e Dinosaurs and they are lacking, to say the least. What kind of Dinos do you dorks wanna see?

No brains
2017-08-31, 02:27 PM
I'd like to see an iguanodon so it can give me a spiky thumbs-up!

If you want a less stupid idea, you'll have to tell me if epoch matters at all. If not, go for Argentinosaurus for MAXIMUM BIGNESS! Quetzalcoatlus could also be cool, but it's not a real 'dinosuar' and having real dragons and couatls cheapens it a little.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-08-31, 02:40 PM
I'd like to see an iguanodon so it can give me a spiky thumbs-up!

If you want a less stupid idea, you'll have to tell me if epoch matters at all. If not, go for Argentinosaurus for MAXIMUM BIGNESS! Quetzalcoatlus could also be cool, but it's not a real 'dinosuar' and having real dragons and couatls cheapens it a little.
Actually, prehistoric versions of traditional fantasy creatures sounds boss. Like sabertoothed unicorns, dragons that aren't much different from T-Rex's, cave elves that aren't far from prettier troglodytes, mindless carnivorous treants- a brutal world with almost nothing in the way of sapience.

Haldir
2017-08-31, 02:49 PM
Actually, prehistoric versions of traditional fantasy creatures sounds boss. Like sabertoothed unicorns, dragons that aren't much different from T-Rex's, cave elves that aren't far from prettier troglodytes, mindless carnivorous treants- a brutal world with almost nothing in the way of sapience.

I'm loving this idea. Even moreso because the goal of the adventure is to help research the link between dinosaurs and dragons.

dickerson76
2017-08-31, 03:04 PM
I don't flip through monster manuals, and haven't run into any of these in games, so they may already exist. I want monsterous...:
-Intelligent (for a non-speaking creature) velociraptors with hunting tactics.
-more raptors with camouflage
-Pachycephalosaurus
-Giant birds with teeth
-dinos that look like giant frilled lizards (with teeth)
-Saber tooth tigers
-Giant constrictor snakes
-Triceratops
-Dire porcupine type things
-Silverback gorillas
-Ankylosaurs
-Giant alligator/croc

General traits: high natural armor; lots of trample attack with extra slashing damage from bony protrusions; bludgeoning damage from tails or foreheads; piercing from horns/spikes/teeth; slashing from claws

Some of the big ones can be huge so that the can move into an enemy's square and use a Smother attack where they basically lay down or sit on PCs. Mechanically, it'd be similar to stuff with Engulf, or Swallow Whole style attacks.