PDA

View Full Version : Bard and Warlock MC

ZorroGames
2017-08-31, 01:10 PM
BLUF - First question is when should I dip Warlock?

Why? Started a Life Cleric (only backup character really ready) in Chult at first level but there are at least 3-4 other characters casting healing spells so thinking of swapping out characters after making second level. Honestly want something different than my usual Dwarf Fighter or Cleric.

Sooo...

Pinging off my Mountain Dwarf Monk experience, I am considering something more "spell caster" like:

A Mountain Dwarf Bard with a dip in (Fey) Warlock, though Bard/Paladin has been suggested. There are seven characters in this party in AL play currently.

One is a relatively new player trying out Bard as a utility character. Not sure he feels comfortable in that role yet. Just wants to "feel his way into the game."

As usual locally four are casters or "back rank" (Who me? Melee? Nooooo) archer types. Two others are more in your face martial types.

First question is when should I dip Warlock?

After first level Bard (letting the other Bard character play 'first instrument' in the Bard type situations) to gain Disguise Self, Silent Image plus cantrips?

Start Warlock to get the immediate connection to Fey and cantrips such as E. B. or Mage Hand or Minor Illussion or Prestidigitation plus spells for two levels?

My point buy abilities are

ST 8+2
DE 14
CO 14+2
IN 8
WI 12
CH 15

My Background is entertainer (Acrobatics and Performance) with Dancer, Story Teller and Poet skills - yes, no instruments other than my feet and my voice. Need to buy an arcane focus? Tap shoes as a focus (JK)?

I am thinking a Feat of Actor at Bard 4th to bump CH +1 and gain advantage in CH (Deception) and CH (Performance) plus the speech mimic trait.

The proficiency tradeoffs are Bard gets three free picks (I am thinking Stealth, Deception, and Perception) but Warlock gives a choice [IN 8, CH 15] of two from (-) Arcana, (-) History, (-) Investigation, (-) Nature, (-) Religion, (+) Deception, and (+) Intimidation.

This would be a guy like "Face" from the A-Team who can fight if he absolutely has to but really prefers to leave dazed from what just happened.

Second Question - Should I eventually go back and get Warlock level 3?

nickl_2000
2017-08-31, 01:18 PM
My Background is entertainer (Acrobatics and Performance) with Dancer, Story Teller and Poet skills - yes, no instruments other than my feet and my voice. Need to buy an arcane focus? Tap shoes as a focus (JK)?

Technical you can't do this by RAW in the PhB. The PhB says

Spellcasting Focus
You can use a musical instrument (found in chapter 5)
as a spellcasting focus for your bard spells

I would hand wave it, but you are talking AL here.

The usual dip for Warlock is after either level 5 Bard (not Lore Bard) or level 6 bard (Lore Bard). This is due to either Font of Inspiration or Magical Secrets.

Second Question - Should I eventually go back and get Warlock level 3?

No. Level 18 Bard gives Magical Secrets, you don't want to lose that, period.

ZorroGames
2017-08-31, 01:21 PM
I want to run this past my DM but let me ping you guys/gals first - I want to have my connection with the Fey either off board or as a natural part of the current adventure - maybe I get lost at the end of an adventure and show up "changed from my encounter" at the next game adventure or in story next day/week?

I do not want a "Me moment" to dilute the experience in game.

How best to have that MC event connect with the plot/other players without saying, "Look at me, Mommy!" as a special snowflake?

ZorroGames
2017-08-31, 01:23 PM
Technical you can't do this by RAW in the PhB. The PhB says

Not to rules lawyer too much but "can" not = to "must."

ZorroGames
2017-08-31, 01:25 PM
Thinking Lore Bard so after Bard 6, and only two levels.

Got it.

nickl_2000
2017-08-31, 01:25 PM

Run it by the DM just to make sure. Can != Must, however there is nothing to say that a Bard must use a focus. They can either use a focus or a component bag. It's a semantic issue of where the can applies, is it the option of using the focus vs bag or is it that it can be a musical instrument or something else that makes sense.

Thinking Lore Bard so after Bard 6, and only two levels.

Got it.

This is your pretty standard most effective way to do it, but you may have a better idea.

ZorroGames
2017-08-31, 01:26 PM

Or I can have a flute/TanTan I am not proficient at. :smallwink:

ZorroGames
2017-08-31, 01:29 PM
Run it by the DM just to make sure. Can != Must, however there is nothing to say that a Bard must use a focus. They can either use a focus or a component bag. It's a semantic issue of where the can applies, is it the option of using the focus vs bag or is it that it can be a musical instrument or something else that makes sense.

This is your pretty standard most effective way to do it, but you may have a better idea.

Always check with my main AL DM with my crazy ideas. I ignore his eye-rolls/face-palms. A component bag also works.

A better idea? Me? Not usually. :smallbiggrin:

nickl_2000
2017-08-31, 01:32 PM
Always check with my main AL DM with my crazy ideas. I ignore his eye-rolls/face-palms. A component bag also works.

A better idea? Me? Not usually. :smallbiggrin:

Gold is easy after a few levels, just carry a flute, put a set of knee symbols on, put bells on your shoes, and a bass drum on your back and be non-proficient in all of them. You would sound just like all the other one man bands out there.

ZorroGames
2017-08-31, 01:33 PM
The non use of an instrument is flavor and old school dwarf player where in an early edition Dwarf music was vocal or instrumental but never mixed.

ZorroGames
2017-08-31, 01:34 PM
Gold is easy after a few levels, just carry a flute, put a set of knee symbols on, put bells on your shoes, and a bass drum on your back and be non-proficient in all of them. You would sound just like all the other one man bands out there.

Well, that is one way to drum up business. Rim shot...

nickl_2000
2017-08-31, 01:37 PM
Well, that is one way to drum up business. Rim shot...

So your bard isn't proficient with joke telling either? :amused:

ZorroGames
2017-08-31, 01:49 PM
So your bard isn't proficient with joke telling either? :amused:

:smallwink: :smallsmile:

nickl_2000
2017-08-31, 06:28 PM
:smallwink: :smallsmile:
And I'm glad that was taken in the joking manner it was intended