PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [3.PF]Wild Surge on every cast!

Sheogoroth
2017-08-31, 01:51 PM
I love love love probability! Maybe I just love rolling dice, but that translates in a love of wild mages and a subsequent love of Wild Surges.
I know some of you think less of them, but I think we can all agree that what's fun for a group is good for that group.

So... I've been trying to come up with a build that gets wild surge on every cast. Any suggestions?

Bonus points if you have more feats that augment the wild mage to make it particularly more off-center with greater variance of an outcome, that is to say a greater range of +/- spell levels. Any feats that add more probability and unpredictability also count.

Necroticplague
2017-08-31, 02:19 PM
There's the Wild Mage class from Complete Arcane. Casts spells at -3+1d6 CL. Can also burn spell slots to create a Rod of Wonders effect.

Easiest way i can think of for normal Wild magic would be to be native to a plane with the Wild Magic trait, and use Planar bubble. Limbo and The Far Realms are the main planes I know of with this trait. Fortunately, Pseudonatural is a pretty cheap template.

inuyasha
2017-08-31, 05:36 PM
There's also the Chaoscube program, and a 3rd party book about Wild magic from Mongoose Publishing. I'm a fan of both of those.

And as much as I dislike D&DWiki, (or Dandwiki, or both, etc.) one of them has a homebrewed wild surge chart that gets pretty insane, but I've slightly modified it for my own use (I.E. usually no permanent effects on a creature, though instantaneous effects and planar callings are a different animal entirely).

Sheogoroth
2017-09-01, 11:02 AM
There's also the Chaoscube program, and a 3rd party book about Wild magic from Mongoose Publishing. I'm a fan of both of those.

And as much as I dislike D&DWiki, (or Dandwiki, or both, etc.) one of them has a homebrewed wild surge chart that gets pretty insane, but I've slightly modified it for my own use (I.E. usually no permanent effects on a creature, though instantaneous effects and planar callings are a different animal entirely).

I tried to look up the "Chaoscube program" and couldn't find anything. What is that?
Also, what's the 3rd party book by Mongoose called?

inuyasha
2017-09-01, 12:22 PM
Ah, Chaoscube is on the website of a long dead (but still amazing) character creator called Redblade, which never got updated past 3.5. There was supposed to be another version, which I would have loved, but the project sadly died.

http://downloads.redblade.org/

You can find Chaoscube just beneath the Box O' Flumph instant Kingdom Generator (which I also enjoy).

As for the Wild Magic book, I was wrong about the publisher, but it's "Wild Spellcraft" by Ryan Nock from Natural 20 Press, who I believe may have been working with Mystic Eye games.

I have a lot of 3rd-party material and get publishers mixed up sometimes.