PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Demonbinder

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-11, 08:52 PM
Not the Nar Demonbinder, but the PrC in Drow of the Underdark.

This one. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070430a&page=3)

Anyway, I was looking at it and while ignoring the Drow prerequisite, It's a neat class. As far as I can tell it's balanced enough and very versatile with that demonic heritage/pact fluff of the warlock I love so much.

So what's your opinion on it, you think it's weak? strong? stupid? brilliant?

Volug
2007-08-11, 09:01 PM
its quite interesting.... though i dont know much about this stuff, but it seems pretty neat. might take it for my Necromancer character (ignoring the warlock hubba-jubba)

GryffonDurime
2007-08-11, 09:04 PM
True Warlock Prestige Classes are rare...but must they all be quite this evil? We get it. Wizards is really trying to push the fiendish option for Warlock fluff.

With that being said, I like the versatility it offers, and it does take you down to a d4 to compensate for the addition of oodles of temporary hitpoints. Gives you a bit more fortitude, and also expands your resistances and damage prevention. I don't see a real reason to take this class all the way to 10 if you've got a decent Charisma modifier...immunity to electricity is tempting, but I'd rather have Imbue Item myself. I'd love to see some reflavored takes on this class for the less demonicly inclined, and I'm not a huge fan of the Drow...

But it's still a plus to see the Warlock get some love. Any love, really. Even if it is drow loving.

Starsinger
2007-08-11, 09:09 PM
True Warlock Prestige Classes are rare...but must they all be quite this evil? We get it. Wizards is really trying to push the fiendish option for Warlock fluff.

Same with sorcerers and dragons... Sure there are heritage feats for other ideas, but really when it comes down to it, sorcerer = dragon... :smalleek:

GryffonDurime
2007-08-11, 09:15 PM
Same with sorcerers and dragons... Sure there are heritage feats for other ideas, but really when it comes down to it, sorcerer = dragon... :smalleek:

Indeed. So, right here! Let's start the Demonbinder Reflavor campaign!

Uhm...you could bind fey. Or vestiges. Or ancient lich-kings. Or plants. Or ghaeles.

Blarg. So many details of this class are specific to the types of demon-bound that, unlike a Hellfire Warlock, this class would actually require some mechanical changes.

PinkysBrain
2007-08-11, 09:26 PM
Cute idea, poor execution. If you can't pre-buff before a fight the demonbind ability is useless. Combined with being a drow you end up with a really poor character ... offensively you are a warlock 3 levels behind the curve, and being 3 levels behind is just too much.

Ranis
2007-08-11, 09:52 PM
Your best 10th level class ability is to sprout wings and get 45HP? Pass.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-11, 09:58 PM
I happen to think the idea of a ten-armed thri-kreen is terrifying, which'd be possible if you ignored the racial req of this PrC.

Warlock/Totemist/Demonbinder, with potions of girallon's blessing. Mm-mm, natural attack and rending goodness.

Starsinger
2007-08-11, 10:00 PM
MasatoHyuga inspired me... let's flavor this necromantically (sorry, still kinda evil)

Corpseflesh- (replaces Dretch) Your skin becomes gray and corpse like, and your dead flesh grants you acid, fire, and cold resist 5

Wight Hands- (replaces Babau) Your hands turn into mangled clawed hands like a Wight's, you gain the ability to sneak attack, as you slowly drain the life out of unsuspecting foes. In addition, you can bolster your eldritch blast with negative energy dealing 5 extra negative energy damage, for 1 damnation point.

Shadowskin (replaces Yochlol) Your skin turns darker and a whispy outline follows you as you move. You gain the light fortification ability, and for 1 damnation point, you may cast Gaseous form on yourself.

Banshee's Essence (replaces Vrock) The ghostly image of a female elf's face appears on top of your own, you gain 20 bonus hit points, and the for 1 damnation point may bolster your eldritch blast with sonic energy, if you do so the banshee's face above your own screams and the target of your eldritch blast takes 10 extra damage and is deafened for 5 rounds (fort negates deafness)

Vampire's Essence (replaces Nalfeshnee) You gain 35 temporary hit points 5 acid 5 cold and 5 fire resistance. In addition , for 1 damnation point you can lace an eldritch blast with a Vampire's mental domination. Living targets with HD less than your character level are dazed for 1 round, as their minds are robbed of thought. (Will negates)

Skeleton Graft (replaces Marilith) 4 skeletal arms sprout from a boney rib cage which grows over your chest. You gain 40 temporary hit points. Your new arms are secondary limbs, and your old arms (if any) are primary. You can wield extra weapons with these new limbs, but all such attacks are treated as off-hand attacks. Also for 1 damnation point, you can shoot an eldritch blast from one of your new arms, at -5 penalty to your attack roll, but you cannot use a blast shape or eldritch essence to modify this blast.

Wraith Essence (replaces Balor) You become a whispy shadowy creature, although you're still corporeal. You gain 45 temporary hit points, and a fly speed equal to your land speed (good manueverability). Also, you can spend 1 damnation point to do a melee touch attack that deals cold damage equal to your eldritch blast.

I couldn't think of a decent substitute for demons not listed...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-11, 10:55 PM
Unless the energy resistance/immunity and DR are changed it might only work with outsiders. Supernatural energy resistance doesn't come to mind when I think about fey or undead. Though devil, eladrin and slaadi type creatures seem the most viable.

Kyace
2007-08-11, 11:35 PM
Unless the energy resistance/immunity and DR are changed it might only work with outsiders. Supernatural energy resistance doesn't come to mind when I think about fey or undead. Though devil, eladrin and slaadi type creatures seem the most viable.

I don't know...
Skeletons and all three Nightshades are immune to cold. Vampires have resistance 10 to cold. Most undead seem to have a link to coldness such as weaknesses to heat and bright lights or cleric spells based on head and light.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-12, 03:09 PM
I don't know...
Skeletons and all three Nightshades are immune to cold. Vampires have resistance 10 to cold. Most undead seem to have a link to coldness such as weaknesses to heat and bright lights or cleric spells based on head and light.

That's true. I suppose I was just thinking they were immune to cold just because they lacked anything for cold to deal damage to, but then again that doesn't really matter when it comes to an undead descendant.