PDA

View Full Version : Good game design colleges in the New England area

Jackalias
2017-08-31, 07:20 PM
Exactly what it says in the title. I'm looking to study video game design in college and good schools are hard to find. So far my top picks are Becker and Champlain, so if anyone's been to either of those schools or knows one like it post below.

Goodkill
2017-08-31, 07:54 PM
from what i've heard you're better off with a comp sci degree if you want to be a programmer working in the game design field. not sure if this is what you had in mind.

i've heard a lot of negative things from people who actually work as game designers about that area of study in college.

my cousin studied game design though, and he has a nice job (as a design engineer), but of course it's not actually in the game design field.

Jackalias
2017-08-31, 08:03 PM
from what i've heard you're better off with a comp sci degree if you want to be a programmer working in the game design field. not sure if this is what you had in mind.

i've heard a lot of negative things from people who actually work as game designers about that area of study in college.

my cousin studied game design though, and he has a nice job (as a design engineer), but of course it's not actually in the game design field.

I'm more interested in the world building and narrative aspects of creating a game.

Knaight
2017-09-01, 03:10 PM
I'm more interested in the world building and narrative aspects of creating a game.

That's not really a specialty with dedicated programs of study. It tends to either be handed off to people who are programmers or digital artists, or handled by writers who aren't specialized by education in videogames. Probably the best degree for that would be some variety of creative writing, which is available at general colleges that don't specialize in game design.

Goodkill
2017-09-02, 10:45 PM
after working at game design for so long i don't even like video games anymore lol. unless i'm drunk but i don't drink so ... yeah. this can happen to a person.

danzibr
2017-09-04, 03:54 PM
What's your intention? Landing a job at a big company, or solo/indie?