PDA

View Full Version : DM Help QQ: Booze rules

Avianmosquito
2017-08-31, 07:21 PM
I just had a player roll a fortitude save against rum. (Notably, they are playing a 16lb pixie.) Are there actual rules for intoxication? I know there are in Pathfinder, but they SUCK, so normally I just eyeball it.

Rynjin
2017-08-31, 07:30 PM
I mean if we're talking Pathfinder rum actually KILLS people after a few drinks so intoxication is a moot point. The Fort save is to not become addicted, the Con damage is no save. PF rum is ****ing hilarious.

I like the PF rules for intoxication with a few minor common sense tweaks though. 2+Con mod isn't a bad number, and Sickened isn't a bad status to apply. Being able to sleep it off at an hour per drink sounds about right.

Necroticplague
2017-08-31, 07:43 PM
Arms and Equipment, page 32.

Calimehter
2017-09-01, 11:17 AM
I'm AFB at the moment, but Cityscape has a set of drinking rules too, in one of the "Interludes" sections.

Guizonde
2017-09-01, 12:16 PM
there are very funny rules for that in whfrp, and my dm found a supplement dealing with followers of cayden caillean that work really well. i'm not sure it'd be applicable to other situations, since i only remember seeing them, not where they are or what they entailed aside from my character.

were i to homebrew (no pun intended) something, it'd be a con check, inducing dex, int and wis damage, a boost to cha, along with nausea, an eagerness to fight, a hefty penalty to sense motive checks... death would be really hard to pull off. deal with it like poison damage and you're not too far off the mark. nobody ever dies from poisons in dnd anymore (well, from 3.5 onwards, at least). regular con checks to keep the debuffs away and stave off the unpleasantness of the following morning should be added after every few drinks, with penalties on previous failed con checks.

your 16lb pixie wouldn't be able to fly straight, would mumble incoherently, and would probably be starting a fight over who stole their pet garden warthog. and that's just from cracking open a bottle, nevermind drinking a shot.

all i know is that in pf, being a follower of the drunk god makes you pretty much immune to alcohol poisoning, and at higher levels actually heals you. staving off a hangover is as easy as casting the cantrip of "create beer/wine" and drinking straight from your hand. did i mention it gets overpowered quite fast? because it gets overpowered quite fast. my lvl 2 inquisitor waterboarded into drunkenness and confession a corrupt guard using this cantrip (ok, being a half-elf, he creates sparkling sweet wine, so it does hit harder than conventional booze).