PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Salamander (Alchemical)

rferries
2017-08-31, 07:37 PM
SALAMANDER, ALCHEMICAL
http://i.imgur.com/WQl7hi0.jpg
SMALL MAGICAL BEAST
Hit Dice: 4d10+8 (30 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+1
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4+1 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4+1 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, poison, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision, fire shield, immunity to cold and fire, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +7
Feats: Ability Focus (poison), Alertness
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: -

This scaled creature is roughly the size of a dog and has a line of star-like markings down its back. It seems quite disinterested in your party, instead content to sit comfortably in the midst of a blazing bonfire.

Salamanders produce a milky secretion that coats their skin and grants them their incredible cold- and fire-based powers, as well as their extreme toxicity. Alchemists prize this secretion and are willing to pay handsomely for the capture of live salamanders.

Combat Abilities
A salamander has no natural predators and no interest in beginning combat. If attacked they instinctively alternate between biting and using their breath weapon, but readily flee if even moderately wounded.

Breath Weapon (Ex)
10-foot cube, cloud of the salamander's poison (see below) lasting 1 round, once every 1d4 rounds.

Fire Shield (Su)
A salamander is always protected by a fire shield (caster level 7th). It may switch between the warm and chill versions of the spell as a free action. The shield can be dispelled, but the salamander can create it again as a free action on its next turn.

Poison (Ex)
Contact or injury, Fortitude DC 16, initial damage 1d4 Con, secondary damage 2d4 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Any creature that strikes a salamander with a natural weapon (including unarmed strikes) or grapples with it is exposed to the salamander's poison, but only once per round.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)
At will-pyrotechnics (DC 8, using the salamander's flame shield as the flame), quench (DC 9). Caster level 7th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Improved Familiar
An alchemical salamander may be selected as a familiar by a spellcaster with the Improved Familiar feat.

nonsi
2017-09-01, 06:52 AM
You didn't state breath weapon damage.
Also, I think that the combination of Fire Shield, Poison, Breath Weapon and pyrotechnics synergises to CR 4 at least.

rferries
2017-09-01, 07:37 PM
You didn't state breath weapon damage.
Also, I think that the combination of Fire Shield, Poison, Breath Weapon and pyrotechnics synergises to CR 4 at least.

The breath weapon forces everyone to save against the salamander's poison (similar to a guardian naga's "spit venom" attack, but in breath weapon form).

Yeah, agreed. Gave it an extra HD and bumped it all up to CR 4.

XionUnborn01
2017-09-01, 07:47 PM
I think it would be cool if their breath weapon was tied to their fire shield so like when it was one version it was the poison and the other was like a burst of flame or something. Actually, I think that would just be a fun mechanic on a monster in general.

rferries
2017-09-02, 03:44 AM
I think it would be cool if their breath weapon was tied to their fire shield so like when it was one version it was the poison and the other was like a burst of flame or something. Actually, I think that would just be a fun mechanic on a monster in general.

That would be cool! This was intended as a conversion of the classical salamander (of Paracelsus et al.) but you should homebrew your own version! :)