PDA

View Full Version : Fighting the inevitable

nintendoh
2017-08-31, 10:01 PM
So i was a bad necromancer and violated a contract. Guess what i have to do. Dread necro level 8 with a palidan of slaughter support also level 8. I have a cohort lvl 3 goblin cleric of nurgle a level 8 healer swordsage that has at max 2 levels of ss. Lastly there is an ijustui focused dmpc soul knife. The dm is clarified that the cr rating for this fight is 13. Lil help here!

unseenmage
2017-08-31, 10:16 PM
Rod of Construct Control in the Arms and Equipment Guide.

Domain Draught from Magic Item Compendium for the Warforged domain from Eberron.

The Smoky Confinement spell from Complete Mage IIRC combined with Energy Transformation Field from Spell Compendium.

Thurbane
2017-08-31, 11:17 PM
Arrows of Construct Slaying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#slayingArrow): 2,282gp (4,057 gp greater). It's a costly option, but most Constructs, including inevitables, don't have great Fort saves.

If you want to cheese it up, have one of your melee buddies use it as an improvised melee weapon so you don't risk wasting it on a miss.

See if you and your allies can hit it with anything that might give it a save penalty first...

Inevitability
2017-09-01, 01:13 AM
IT IS TOO LATE FOR REGRETS, DEFILER OF THE DEAD. YOU SHALL PAY IN BLOOD FOR THE VIOLATION OF THE CONTRACT.

Somewhat more seriously, assuming your enemy is a Kolyarut (CR 12, fights those who break bargains), you should be relatively safe by just killing something large and strong that can fly, animating it, and using it to remain airborne.

Kolyaruts have no long-range abilities beyond Hold Person/Hold Monster (which doesn't help them kill you) and an Enervation ray (which Death Ward protects against). Using the animated flying beasties, put you and some choice ranged damage dealers in the air, Death Ward all of them, and use the eight minutes of protection you have to kill the inevitable dead.

Also, have some way of detecting invisible creatures (bags of flour are honestly fine), because the kolyarut may try to turn invisible and flee once it notices its attacks are ineffective.

Note that this assumes you're playing against a by-the-book monster, which may not be the case.

nintendoh
2017-09-01, 08:52 AM
Please note that the total in game prep time we have is two hours. Its sent a nasty gram before hand.

Inevitability
2017-09-01, 09:09 AM
Please note that the total in game prep time we have is two hours. Its sent a nasty gram before hand.

In that case, kill and animate any animal strong enough to carry you, and have it take off at maximum speed in whatever direction the kolyarut is not coming from. It can move only sixty feet per round (120 if it takes off its armor), which nearly any undead quadruped can beat. Using this method, increase the distance between the two of you until you have sufficient prep time to enact the combat plan described above.

If you can't find anything, borrow your paladin's mount. It's not going to have the endurance of an undead steed, but it will be able to outrun the inevitable for a while. Try to conceal your trail somehow as you flee.

nintendoh
2017-09-01, 09:38 AM
I am a dread necro with access to a few domains. What do you rate the chance of a direct confrontation with the critter?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-01, 10:22 AM
Inevitables are constructs, immune to most necromancy, with DR 10/chaotic and SR 22, making them quite resistant to undead minions. Luckily, kolyarut are extremely bad at hurting undead. Vampiric touch and enervation don't affect undead at all, and sword attacks don't penetrate a skeleton or lich's DR/bludgeoning.

You can use summon undead IV to get four owlbear skeletons, which have 32 hp each. They take only 1d8 damage per attack from a kolyarut, and they can surround you or it completely. As long as you have death ward active, the kolyarut can't hurt you at all. I'd say, face it and beat it down.

Thurbane
2017-09-01, 03:21 PM

I was going to suggest some spells that the Cleric might memorize to help (Ice Slick, Lava Missile, Obscuring Mist, Protection From Law, Sanctuary) but he wouldn't get a chance to pray for new spells.

Evard's Black Tentacles will definitely slow it down. Assuming it's a Kolyarut, the tentacles will have a better grapple check (+16).

If you can beat it's SR, Bestow Curse could be quite effective: a 50% chance not to act each round etc.

nintendoh
2017-09-05, 07:28 PM
I was going to suggest some spells that the Cleric might memorize to help (Ice Slick, Lava Missile, Obscuring Mist, Protection From Law, Sanctuary) but he wouldn't get a chance to pray for new spells.

Evard's Black Tentacles will definitely slow it down. Assuming it's a Kolyarut, the tentacles will have a better grapple check (+16).

If you can beat it's SR, Bestow Curse could be quite effective: a 50% chance not to act each round etc.

Yup...

Ok so i just wanted to give everyone an update. We obliterated the thing. It made the mistake of wanting to monologue.

Conflict was initiated by my order to the troll skeleton to "preform the waterboy"

Thanks