PDA

View Full Version : Item creation enhanced with metamagic

Little Beast
2017-08-31, 10:16 PM
During item creation is it possible to enhance the spells used with metamagic feats to gain a greater effect? I.e. Potion of empowered/maximized cure serious wounds. As I understand brew potion, only spells up to 3rd level can be placed into a potion (unless epic feat is used). I know I've read that a spell enhanced by metamagic doesn't change the level of the spell, only the level at which it must be prepared. I've never encountered an enhanced potion or scroll for that matter and can't locate a specific rule for this. Thanks in advance for any help you all could provide.

legomaster00156
2017-08-31, 10:29 PM
You may add metamagic effects to magic items, but they are still bound by the maximum level of the item in question. A potion of Empowered [+2] Cure Light Wounds would be legal, but a potion of Maximized [+3] Cure Light Wounds would not.

xyamius
2017-09-01, 08:12 AM
You may add metamagic effects to magic items, but they are still bound by the maximum level of the item in question. A potion of Empowered [+2] Cure Light Wounds would be legal, but a potion of Maximized [+3] Cure Light Wounds would not.

The spell even maximized, Empowered with augment healing on a Cure Light Wounds still makes it a 1st level spell but would require a higher spell level slot to cast it. Spell level and Spell Level Slots are two different things. So that twinked out cure light wounds that has been adjusted with empower and maximized for +5 to the spell slot level it still is considered a 1st level spell even though it takes a 6th level spell slot to cast it.

A RSOP or an incantrix can also modify that same healing spell during creation so it doesn't increase the spells slot level either. Not to mention getting into school focus metamagic, spell thesis and easy metamagic for feats being added into the mix. Then there is the Artificer which is a whole different ball of wax.

This is a "gray" area for the DM to deal with for figuring in cost to craft since per RAW it's spell level not spell slot level. Depending on how it was being made i could see arguments for it being either spell level or spell slot level on creation cost.

For adding metamagic to creation that is a yes it can.

flappeercraft
2017-09-01, 08:16 AM
In that case if you can't, the question is, if you have a feat or ability like Arcane Thesis or Practical Metamagic that reduces metamagic costs would that be applicable to magic items?

Little Beast
2017-09-01, 11:51 AM
I found it! Magic Items and Metamagic Spells: With the right item cre- ation feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat). A character doesn’t need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic version of a spell. Pg 88 players handbook.

xyamius
2017-09-01, 12:18 PM
Effects of Metamagic Feats on a Spell: In all ways, a metamagic
spell operates at its original spell level, even though it is prepared
and cast as a higher-level spell. Saving throw modifications are not
changed unless stated otherwise in the feat description. The
modifications made by these feats only apply to spells cast directly
by the feat user. A spellcaster can’t use a metamagic feat to alter a
spell being cast from a wand, scroll, or other device.
Metamagic feats that eliminate components of a spell (such as
Silent Spell and Still Spell) don’t eliminate the attack of opportunity
provoked by casting a spell while threatened. However, casting a
spell modified by Quicken Spell does not provoke an attack of
opportunity.
Metamagic feats cannot be used with all spells. See the specific
feat descriptions for the spells that a particular feat can’t modify.

Multiple Metamagic Feats on a Spell: A spellcaster can apply
multiple metamagic feats to a single spell. Changes to its level are
cumulative. A silent, stilled version of charm person, for example,
would be prepared and cast as a 3rd-level spell (a 1st-level spell,
increased by one spell level for each of the metamagic feats). You
can’t apply the same metamagic feat more than once to a single spell
(for instance, you can’t cast a twice-empowered magic missile to get
+100% damage).

Magic Items and Metamagic Spells: With the right item creation
feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll,
potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the
spell’s higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat).
A character doesn’t need the metamagic feat to activate an item
storing a metamagic version of a spell.

Counterspelling Metamagic Spells: Whether or not a spell has
been enhanced by a metamagic feat does not affect its vulnerability
to counterspelling or its ability to counterspell another spell (see
Counterspells, page 170).