PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Paizo Only+SpheresofPower/Official Rebuild Rules/E8] Archer Inquisitor to?

Spore
2017-09-01, 08:27 AM
Greetings playground,

I need advice to rebuild the following character: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1278223

Special rules:
Welfare Feats and eliminating Feat Chains
-At first level, characters gain one of the following Feats: Combat Expertise, Deadly Aim, Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Skill Focus, Weapon Finesse or any weapon, armor or shield proficiency Feat. They must meet the prerequisites
-When a character reaches BAB 4, they receive a second bonus Feat from the earlier list, or the following: Combat Casting, Dodge, Precise Shot, Step Up. Once again, prerequisites must be met.
-When a character reaches BAB 8, they gain a bonus Feat of their choice.

Point-Blank Shot is not required for ranged attack Feats
Combat Maneuver Feats and Two-Weapon Fighting progress to their Improved/Greater Versions once the user meets prerequisites.
Weapon/Shield Focus Feats also grant the benefits of Quick Draw feat for the item in question.

Armor as DR
Defence is counted as 10 + shield bonus + Dexterity modifier + BAB + other modifiers
Half of the damage absorbed by DR armor is taken as nonlethal damage.
DR/Armor increases at levels 4 and 8

Spheres of Power:
All magic is still Arcane, Divine or Psychic. As a Sphere-caster you can choose which one you want. While I generally prefer that you respect the niche of these casting types, it isn’t necessary. Spheres is an emerging system of magic brought forth by new understanding.

Also to note is that all magic, regardless of type and components involved produces a recognizable effect that even laymen associate with magic. While the exact nature of the magic can only be understood by the skilled, people can tell who cast the spell, and sometimes who was the target.

First things first: Without Precise Shot and with Rapid Shot I suffer -6 on normal attacks. I thought that is set off by the second attack but it is not, esp. since the usual enemy halves or negates my damage because I still use a Shortbow.

The group consists of Thaumaturge (some sphere caster), Mageknight (seems like a full BAB summoner?), Paladin, a shapeshifting Lion Monk (something exotic for sure as the Nimble Guardian can do this starting at Lv 7). So it would be most intelligent for me to rebuild towards Cleric to cover the supporting side? I have good connections with my clergy so that healing and removing diseases would be less of an issue between adventures but I cover the skills and divine caster.

My DM has allowed the following:
- stat reallocation where it would make sense (mainly more Str for an Archer at the cost of a bit of wisdom/dex)
- retraining via retraining rules (5 days of prayer in a temple, 50 gp cost will be covered by my "Clergy Member trait")
- class change to Cleric or change of Inquisitor archetype (I had an idea for a Giant Vulture as the animal fits the lore)

My ideas so far:
Infiltrator/Sacred Huntsmaster (Giant Vulture) with more Strength and a mix of archery feats and AC feats (namely Celestial Companion).
Infiltrator/Sanctified Slayer with more Strength and switch hitter feats (so Power Attack, Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim, no Precise Shot since a big part will be done by meleeing)
Archer Cleric with more Strength and Archery feats
something completely different. Spherecasting sounds fun but it is a whole 'nother casting system. So if I pick up a cleric I would like to learn a few tips and tricks how to sphere cast properly.

AmberVael
2017-09-01, 10:16 AM
In Spheres of Power, magic is divided into groups called 'spheres.' Each sphere is a style of magic. For example, the telekinesis sphere is all about telekinetic magic, while the destruction sphere is all about blasting things with energy. Each sphere has a few basic powers associated with the sphere, that you get when you learn it: telekinesis gives you limited telekinetic powers, destruction gives you a ranged touch attack that deals damage. Beyond the basic powers, each sphere also has a long list of talents that either grants you new abilities, or improves the abilities you already have. In destruction, you could take a talent that lets you change the damage of your ranged touch attack to fire damage, or a talent to make it into a blast of force. Or you could take a talent to turn it into a line of damage rather than a ranged touch attack. With a lot of these talents, you can of course choose whether or not you want to apply them.
Some sphere abilities or talents don't have any kind of cost to them, and you can use them as often as you want. Others require spell points. You get a limited number of spell points per day, and have to rest to recover them.

More info can be found on the spheres wiki! (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/)

One thing to keep in mind is that all sphere classes get access to all spheres. By default, there's no arcane/divine distinction, so that Thaumaturge could pretty much be anything. Support and healer, or necromantic illusionist. They'll be a fullcaster type though, one with a narrow focus (they don't get a lot of sphere abilities, but pack a lot of power into the ones they get). Might be worth asking what exactly they can do if you want to round out the group.

If you'd like to try a spherecaster and fill the skill role, you might ask to retrain into the Hedgewitch class. It has 3/4th BAB, d8 HD, and 6+ skill points per level alongside its casting abilities, and class features that can customize it in pretty much any direction you'd like. Using the triple goddess (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/triple-goddess) archetype could help push it more towards a divine/healing role as well.

Spore
2017-09-01, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the introduction to spheres. I think my major problem is the new terminology. What exactly are traditions? How many of these sphere powers do you get? How do they scale? Is this a spell point system? Or do you roll every time you cast?

But I am most comfortable with a Vancian caster.

Kallimakus
2017-09-01, 11:55 AM
GM here :smallbiggrin:
I will issue the small correction to the above post first: Namely that arcane-divine-psychic magic thematics are still expected (though not binding by any means). But I prefer the regular and Spheres magic to exist side-by-side, which means that some of the freedom inherent to Spheres is not always there.

With that out of the way, converting to Spheres of Power might be an increase in power for short term:
Spheres Inquisitor, concerting spells as closely as possible, would have following magical abilities
With the Spheres power system, you would have 4 points, or 5 if you take any casting drawbacks (I'd recommend Verbal, and either Centre of Power or Focus Casting. If you plan on staying lightly armoured, Somatic Casting nets you another point further down the line. At the end, you would have 12-15 or so Spell Points depending on your stat increases and tradition. You would have a total of 8 Spheres/Talents assuming you don't spend bonus Feats on getting more. By contrast, normal inquisitor has 10 (or 13) spells per day, split between three levels. They would know 12 spells barring Orisons. A thing to note is that most specific Spheres actually have multiple abilities to start with. And their at-will abilities tend to be a bit better than Cantrips

Fate Sphere: Replaces Protection from Evil
You gain +1 Sacred bonus to attack, AC and saves vs Evil targets. Protects from mental interference, though not summons. Trade some defence into offence.
Thanks to E8, you don't lose anything in comparison to full casters (who only power up at level 10)
Also gives a secondary ability to give +1 luck to most d20 rolls to all allies within 20ft for a short duration or as long as you concentrate.
The Sphere has some buffs and debuffs and some utility (open/close, touch of truthtelling, freedom of movement, so on)

Life Sphere: Replaces Cure Light Wounds
You can cure 1d8+CL (goes up to 6 in E8 and 2/3 caster)
You also gain a secondary ability to give a target your CL temporary hp for free, and only up to maximum hp. Not that great.
A third ability that comes baked in is to remove minor conditions (fatigued, sickened, shaken, or alleviate the next stages (exhausted>Fatigued))
This Sphere mostly adds options to increase either the flat bonus or the number of dice rolled, and/or increase the amount of conditions you can alleviate (disease, negative levels, temporary/magical sensory loss and so on). This is another Sphere that doesn't suffer from being 3/4 caster as much as others.

You also gain the Cantrips Feat, gaining what amounts to Prestidigitation, d3 elemental ray, off-brand Dancing Lights and Ghost Sound. I'd be more than willing to alter the list a little to fit in Brand and/or guidance, potentially replacing the more Prestidigitation effects on the list. If desired.
What you really lose is Detect Magic. Since that is found in the Divination Sphere, which you can't afford with the Inquisitor's 2 starting talents.

Will edit to expand on Sphere ClericYou gain more Spheres. Positive Energy gives you Life Sphere and domains (Dark, Good, Light, Protection) give you access to one of the following: Dark, Fate, Light or Protection, so the ones you'd take anyway. You would then gain 2 additional talents. One you could spend on Divination Sphere to gain Detect Magic again. Going with another simple effect, seeing as you prefer the archery concept, Light Sphere (through drawbacks) grants you Aiming Lens for a +1 on ranged attacks. Enhancement Sphere allows you to make your weapon magical and thus ignore DR/armor. Protection Sphere gives you a slightly worse Shield of Faith and a weak barrier. Alteration Sphere grants you what is a kind of Alter Self. War Sphere has had some nice combat-related buffs added as well.

A small note on casting traditions (Aligned X) for Protection and Destruction have certain funny interactions: Namely, Aligned Blasts don't effect allies of your alignment, nor hindered by your barriers. So it is possible to erect a barrier that stops attacks (and moving through) by evil creatures without impeding you. Of course, it doesn't impede Neutral critters either, so there is that drawback.

Something to note with E8 is that, since most Sphere abilities scale at either every 5 or every 10 levels, there's ultimately not much difference between 3/4 or full casting. Durations will be shorter and the basic cure a bit weaker (and destructive blasts too, but you were planning on archery, not blasting)

For the record, the rest of the group is a Death-Themed Thaumaturge (currently Death and Time), A melee Paladin, a Beastsoul Monk (Shapeshifts into a lion, dirty fighting, so manoeuvers) and a Mageknight with Conjuration Sphere, which I assume will be his main focus. So the group could use a dedicated healer/support. In my opinion. And this is more or less the role the character seemed to go for.

EldritchWeaver
2017-09-01, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the introduction to spheres. I think my major problem is the new terminology. What exactly are traditions?

Traditions are a collection of drawbacks and boons. Drawbacks can be general (like somatic or verbal components required for casting) or sphere-specific (you can only use of a base sphere like Death only either Ghoststrike or Reanimate). General ones grants you additional spell points, sphere-specific ones grant you a bonus talent in that sphere. Boons are benefits like Easy Focus, which allows you to spend a move action on concentrating on spells.

How many of these sphere powers do you get?

You get as many sphere powers as you chose with a a limited selection of magic talents. The number of magic talents depends on the class, but you get always two talents for being a spherecaster. A base sphere has at least one basic option, but most have two or more (especially those with handbook support). Additional magic talents in a sphere provide either another option (different damage type, different damage shape) or improve the effect in some way (increased range, additional damage/healing).

How do they scale?

Generally, effects don't scale at all (aside of the DC, which depends on the CL) or scale only with the CAM (casting ability modifier) or scale with the CL. Sometimes, there is the option to pay a spell point to improve the scaling (destructive blast gets (CL+1)/2 d6 normally, but can be upgraded to CL d6). It really depends on the sphere, but depending on the class, some spheres are more worthwhile for a Low-Caster.

Is this a spell point system?

Partially. You get some spell points, but not all effects require you to pay any spell points.

Or do you roll every time you cast?

You don't need to roll a check to see, if the spell goes off in the first place (unless you use a drawback like Skilled Casting).

Spore
2017-09-01, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the help Kalli.

For Spheres I'd definitely think about Divination since my class and sub-cult works as spy agency and thus, information is key. It's a toss-up between Healing and Fate then - though with the Paladin's LoH coming online at Lv 2 I am leaning towards Fate. Does the Hedgewitch get a third Sphere where I could get (minor) healing abilities. Because I would like to not loose the Paladin because he is the only damn healer in the game.

Kallimakus
2017-09-01, 12:34 PM
Added the Cleric (they get 2 Spheres over an Inquisitor).
As for the Hedgewitch, it's kind of a 'build-your-own-class' thing. You get Traditions that grant you certain class features. The Cheese option (not recommended) is to take Spiritualism as one of your traditions. That way, much like a Brawler, you can take a combat Feat or a Sphere you don't have for a minute. I don't recommend it because it basically gives you just about any talent in the game when you need it.
You can pick up Divination through another Tradition (Font of Inspiration), granting you Investigators' inspiration (and later studied combat), which would be closer to the theme. A weakness with Hedgewitch is the lack of weapon and armour proficiencies. You can pick some up with your second Tradition, but even that only grants one Martial Weapon proficiency. It does also grant Arcane Pool (as Magus) letting you deal with that pesky DR/armour again.

Still, I wouldn't recommend it. I think that Inquisitor and Cleric are better choices, though that is mostly due to the fact that Hedgewitch is a touch complicated. (and could really do with just one tradition, rather than 2, and maybe gain the other one later, but that's just me. Also, I call it Poolomancer. Because it can have quite a few. (Having access to Spell, Arcane, Guile and Inspiration Pools with the right traditions)

Spore
2017-09-01, 01:27 PM
The Inquisitor was born out of a try to recreate Kid Icarus' main protagonist Pit: http://kidicarus.wikia.com/wiki/Pit

As for jobs in the group I wanted to cover skills and the divine part. Some form of Divination is a must because of my role ingame. Infiltration will be done mostly without spells where it is too expensive or too obvious. And honestly Archery isn't the main focus of the game (you use all sorts of weapons that usually have a projectile attack of some sort but some have laughably short range).

I don't know if you agree but I feel my place in the group would be filled better as a Life/Protection/Fate/Divination Sphere Cleric (though I don't know if I can get all 4 spheres in the beginning. Archery is not central but would be my only form of attack then, wouldn't it? Or is Alignment Blast "harm everyone except NG" for me?

Kallimakus
2017-09-01, 01:36 PM
Sphere Cleric starts with 4 talents, so those should be doable. An Aligned blast (which you don't need to take) deals no damage to Good aligned creatures, half to neutral and full to evil. It allows you to take a free talent from Destruction Sphere to compensate.

Spore
2017-09-01, 01:52 PM
Sphere Cleric starts with 4 talents, so those should be doable. An Aligned blast (which you don't need to take) deals no damage to Good aligned creatures, half to neutral and full to evil. It allows you to take a free talent from Destruction Sphere to compensate.

You remember our talk about flashy spells? This is def. what I had in mind. With classic Vancian spells there are no really effective blasts for divine casters (other than Elemental Druids/Fire Clerics). Is Alignment Blast more effective or at least efficient against its main targets of evil creatures? (Would this be the Silverlight Blast?)

stack
2017-09-01, 02:10 PM
You remember our talk about flashy spells? This is def. what I had in mind. With classic Vancian spells there are no really effective blasts for divine casters (other than Elemental Druids/Fire Clerics). Is Alignment Blast more effective or at least efficient against its main targets of evil creatures? (Would this be the Silverlight Blast?)

The aligned blast is a drawback, it doesn't ever make the blast more powerful, just weaker against some targets (those that are of similar alignments to you). This is why it grants a bonus talent. Grabbing another damage type (most pf which have rider effects. crystal blast is great for crowd control but weak on damage) or a shape (energy wall and energy orb are personal favorites, though not as great until you have a couple levels to get useful duration). Explosive orb gives an AOE, which is nice. Note that all three of those shapes cost a spell point to use.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-01, 03:34 PM
Keep in mind that armor as dr will make multiple attacks less effective than single large hits, and abilities allowing you to ignore DR exponentially better.

Kallimakus
2017-09-01, 03:36 PM
An easy option in Destruction to just gain damage is to take Crafted Blast. That means that you deal at least 3 damage per die, though it doesn't increase the maximum potential. Not the best or strongest option, but you'll never get those low damage rolls. (It does mean you can't deal energy damage though, and those tend to be nice if you go deeper into the Sphere.)

Something to bear in mind is that Spheres Cleric has some enforced Spheres placed on them. In this case, it goes thusly:
1 2 Spheres (any), Life Sphere, Domain-related Sphere. In our proposed example, Divination, Fate, Life, Protection
2 Any Sphere or talent
3 Life Talent
4 Any Sphere or Talent
5 Life Talent, Domain Sphere or Talent
6 Any Sphere or Talent
7 Life Talent
8 Any Sphere or Talent

In addition to these, you can take Extra Magic Talent Feats. Be warned though, that those cannot be taken an infinite amount of times.

Edit: The DR issue is the very reason that if one manages to inflict 2 damage, one nonlethal point is dealt.
Another point, since Armour as DR does not recognize Touch AC, it (purposefully) incentivizes taking Spell-point costing options that trade attacks for saves. On the other hand, 3/4 BAB and a decent attack stat makes for a nice hit chance. And the damage gets decent considering it's free.

A.J.Gibson
2017-09-01, 07:21 PM
An easy option in Destruction to just gain damage is to take Crafted Blast. That means that you deal at least 3 damage per die, though it doesn't increase the maximum potential. Not the best or strongest option, but you'll never get those low damage rolls. (It does mean you can't deal energy damage though, and those tend to be nice if you go deeper into the Sphere.)

Something to bear in mind is that Spheres Cleric has some enforced Spheres placed on them. In this case, it goes thusly:
1 2 Spheres (any), Life Sphere, Domain-related Sphere. In our proposed example, Divination, Fate, Life, Protection
2 Any Sphere or talent
3 Life Talent
4 Any Sphere or Talent
5 Life Talent, Domain Sphere or Talent
6 Any Sphere or Talent
7 Life Talent
8 Any Sphere or Talent

In addition to these, you can take Extra Magic Talent Feats. Be warned though, that those cannot be taken an infinite amount of times.

Edit: The DR issue is the very reason that if one manages to inflict 2 damage, one nonlethal point is dealt.
Another point, since Armour as DR does not recognize Touch AC, it (purposefully) incentivizes taking Spell-point costing options that trade attacks for saves. On the other hand, 3/4 BAB and a decent attack stat makes for a nice hit chance. And the damage gets decent considering it's free.

Crafted blast is pretty terrible. On a d6 roll, bumping your 1 and 2 rolls to 3's adds an average +.5 to your roll. Focused Blast, meanwhile, adds a flat +1 to single target attacks, and Searing Blast bumps you dice to d8 (though it makes it a commonly resisted damage type).

I feel I should mention that the Protection book will have a Life/Protection focused cleric, but won't be entering playtest for a while.

stack
2017-09-01, 08:00 PM
As physical damage, crafted blast also contends with armor as DR. Not as big a problem as for volley archers, as noted. If I am going to spend a talent in destruction, I would muh much rather take a different damage type that gives a rider effect or a shape.

TheIronGolem
2017-09-01, 09:02 PM
I think Crafted Blast's real job is to be a consolation prize for casters who, for thematic reasons, have restricted themselves to the default blast type.

Kallimakus
2017-09-02, 01:50 AM
As physical damage, crafted blast also contends with armor as DR. Not as big a problem as for volley archers, as noted. If I am going to spend a talent in destruction, I would muh much rather take a different damage type that gives a rider effect or a shape.

This is incorrect, as DR/armor is ignored by magical damage, including Destructive Blast. Well, until the enemy starts wearing magic armor, at which point you need adamantine. I do stand corrected on the Crafted Blast vs Focused Blast, though Focused Blast denies Blast Shapes, so you are stuck in single-target mode when using it. Of course, if you invest just one talent into it, it's better. I just have bias from playing Warhammer 40k where I can generally roll 1's whenever I don't need to. Which isn't really relevant here.

Regarding blasts powerful against evil, Holy Smite deals an extra 50% damage against Evil stuff. It is an advanced talent, so it can't be taken whenever you want. It does seem to fit with the aligned Destruction, reinforcing the theme.
Edit: I need a refresher in reading comprehension. Holy Smite costs an extra point, so it is more like Empower Spell against given targets than extra damage. There are a few light-themed blasts that drom the die size to d4 (d8 vs undead and things vulnerable to sunlight)

Spore
2017-09-02, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all the info regarding spheres. Alas I still cannot fathom a viable build for my game with spheres. I'd love a Sphere Inquisitor Archer build now. Let me illustrate my point by quoting something I have found.

Thanks for all the help. I'm still confused, but I'm confused on a higher, more informed level than before.

Kallimakus
2017-09-02, 11:52 AM
Now, I know I am the GM, but I have not planned the minutiae of the adventure so far that I could make the build specifically good or bad. Nor would I want to, either way.

Keeping race and class, obviously.
Str 13, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 12
Casting Tradition: Verbal Casting (same as verbal components), Focus Casting (roughly same as Divine Focus). I leave away the Aligned things at this point. I’ll focus on the choices here, so fixed stuff is the same.
Level 1
Spheres/Talents: Life Sphere, Faith Sphere
Spell Points: 5
Caster Level: 1
Feat: Precise Shot
Notes: I value Precise Shot over Rapid due to the party having 3-4 melee characters. And most fights have someone on one side that wants to duke it out up close. Not all fights though.

Level 2
Spheres/Talents: Divination Sphere. Sphere-specific drawback: Shaped Divination, Sense Magic talent
Spell Points: 6
Caster Level: 1
Welfare Feat: Deadly Aim
Notes: Getting some damage through Deadly Aim.
Divination gives you the ability to Divine (detect) following: Magic auras, Loyalties (motivations like power, family or such), alignment, or living creatures (resembles Deathwatch spell). Divinations take 10 minutes (or full-round concentration if you spend a point), while Sense Magic gives you hours/level detect magic without concentrating. Shaped Divination makes it the familiar cone of Detect Magic

Level 3
Spheres/Talents: Life Sphere: Restore X
Spell Points: 8
Caster Level: 2
Feat: Rapid Shot
Notes: I figured it might be worth it to increase the healing done to 2d8+2 (from 1d8+2). You might also select Ranged Heal (makes heals range Close rather than touch, but I might leave that for later)

Level 4
Spheres/Talents: War Sphere. Drawback/Talent Totemic Presence
Spell Points: 9
Caster Level: 3
Notes: Some offensive power. Base totem gives you and your allies a +2 on all weapon damage rolls. It only lasts for a few rounds, but you can use it as a Swift action (or move action for free). Alternatively, Fate Sphere has the Blessing talent for an Immediate action to allow you or an ally to re-roll a d20. This stage, I wouldn’t bother with Destruction, honestly. Or you could improve on Life. At this level, the Paladin gains Channel Energy (and LoH 2d6), reducing the pressure on you a little, however.

Level 5
Spheres/Talents: You gain nothing this level
Spell Points: 10
Caster Level: 3
Feat

Level 6
Spheres/Talents: Divination: Prescience: +1 insight bonus to attack rolls for hours/level. Can be dismissed early for a bigger boost
Spell Points: 12
Caster Level: 4
Feat: You gain another welfare Feat, which could be something like Dodge, combat casting or power attack

Level 7
Spheres/Talents: I’d improve Life or Divination
Spell Points: 13
Caster Level: 5
Notes: Many Sphere ability bonuses increase by 1 due to your CL increasing.

Level 8
Spheres/Talents: Same as the last one
Spell Points: 14
Caster Level: 6
Feat: You start getting them.

A few things to remember:
The base Fate ability gives a Sacred bonus, the same as most Judgements, so you want to pay attention on what you pick. Otherwise, I suggest talents that increase either attack or damage, and supplementing your healing and divination once the foundation is alright. Most of the other stuff should stack between Spheres though, as well as outside buffs.

EldritchWeaver
2017-09-03, 06:15 PM
Regarding healing, I'd like to provide some observations of mine. The Vivomancer's HB has the Born Healer trait, which increases healing by 1d8. It's currently in layout, so I expect it to be officially available soon (if you can't find, what I mention, it's in Life HB). Then there are two way to increase healing. One is to increase the number of dice. This requires to choose talents, which grants you in addition the ability to tackle more adverse conditions. On average you gain 4.5 hp, but are dependent on the luck of the dice. The other is to increase the static bonus. This means to take Greater Healing several times. As this scales of the CL, you break even at CL 4 or 5 with the average and at CL 9 you surpass the maximum of a single die talent.

So which is is actually better? This depends. At low levels, access to magic items which can deal with health conditions are rare. Being able to treat them generally means requiring access to these talents. In addition, statistically you heal more damage with additional dice up to CL 3. But Life HB provides the Equitable +1 bonus Life staff property, so it is cheap to be able to address the unknown restorations. Or you can be able to gain any Life talent you want, like a Spiritualism Hedgewitch. Then focusing on Greater Healing makes more sense. This even works for Low-Casters, if they take the Studied Healing feat (although the effect doesn't work ranged :( ). I for example have a character capable of healing 3d8+55 per shot.

If you take in addition Revitalize twice, then you grant a big fast healing buffer (10 * CL) lasting for hours. Greater Healing adds to this as well, but not Studied Healing. Still, several hundreds of hp in reserve aren't too bad, but you need to be able to get outside of combat or you might still die. For this having Resuscitate and Extended Resuscitate is good, but obviously needs to be on a character which didn't die. Alternatively, you can choose Fount of Life, Fount of Mercy and Wellspring of Life. The Fount of Mercy allows others to heal themselves from the fount of life and Wellspring of Life increases the number of stored healing hp (Greater Healing does also increase in conjunction with this feat). Latent Healing can provide a single cure or invigorate for activation with a swift action for later. But while you get only one charge, it isn't restricted by range.

Still, you might need to prevent taking actual damage. Temp hp provide a nice buffer. Invigorate + Healthy Invigorate (breaks the maximum hp limit) + Deeper Invigorate (increases the granted temp hp) + all the other invigorate talents. Pain Killer reduces non-lethal damage with no SP cost. Sudden Invigoration allows as immediate action to grant temp hps (but costs 1 SP). Vitality feats grant bonuses to the Life sphere targets, but only until they get still hit. But with invigorate, you don't need to spend SPs.