PDA

View Full Version : [email protected]

Pages : 1 [2]

Zargon
2008-02-16, 06:11 AM
There's a client other than the SMP?
Oh yeah, there is. Well, that explains why I was unusually productive. It still doesn't explain why my computer has done nothing for the past week.
Yes that's the reason why unusually productive.
But the older beta version (what you have) expired on Feb 1st so that's why it isn't doing anything.
Just download the latest SMP version (good until Oct 1st). http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

DrivinAllNight
2008-02-21, 11:32 PM
i was wondering what the fastest program was to use from the download site? some are newer, and some are older, but who has enough knowledge to know what the fastest client is for a descent windows machine?

horseboy
2008-02-22, 03:06 AM
Sungmanitu,
Doin' my part. :smallwink:
Had a week or so it shut down on me, but I've got it back up and running again.

SithLackey
2008-02-22, 05:21 PM
Okay, so I'm interested in contributing, and I'm sure the info I need is hidden somewhere in this thread, but its 8 1/2 solid pages of text, so please forgive my impatience.

1) Which client would allow this PCMS Windows 2000 SP4 P4 2.00Ghz 512MB RAM
Graphics: GeForce FX5500 (256MB)to run StarCraft at the same time as [email protected] without any noticeable performance defects? Can you provide a link and instructions to make this happen?

2) Can I set [email protected] to download and upload new work at a specific time of day, such as the wee hours of the night? How?

3) I have another, much more powerful, comp. that i might be able to add to the team, but only if this works out to be as customizable as I hope.

Please help!

Zargon
2008-02-25, 07:24 AM
1) Which client would allow this PC to run StarCraft at the same time as [email protected] without any noticeable performance defects? Can you provide a link and instructions to make this happen?
It depends if want to stop the client while folding. If so, then the regular windows client would be fine. However if don't want to bother stopping & starting the client, the console client (possibly with the service mode depending on question 2) would be the best choice. At the end of this post, I'll repost the instructions on how to do that.

2) Can I set [email protected] to download and upload new work at a specific time of day, such as the wee hours of the night? How?
Not easily. It usually will only do this once every few days in any case. And with the settings below, the bandwidth use is quite low.
The only setting that would help is the "Ask before fetching/sending work" but then this is a manual operation and cannot be used at the same time as the service mode (so the console would appear on the task bar or can us ). What would happen is that when the console needs to upload/download work, it would ask. This could be the best approach if don't want to ever have any unexpected bandwidth hit during gaming as it just asks a question in the existing console box (no focus change, no pop-ups, no network use, etc.) and so you just hit enter (IIRC) in the console when you want it to do the work (i.e. at your choosing). Yes the client might have to wait a few hours every so often, but that isn't much of an issue.

Here are the customized installation steps:
First downloaded the file (FAH504-Console.exe) and place it in a new directory (e.g. C:\folding) http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html
A) Right click on the file (FAH504-Console.exe) and select to create a shortcut.
B) Right click on the newly created shortcut and select properties. In the window that pops-up, add at the end of the line called 'Target' all the following: -configonly -local and then click Ok. Use this shortcut whenever you want to change the configuration for the client.
C) Double click on the shortcut. It will then ask you a few questions.
D) Here are the questions and suggested answers:
- Qn 1. User name? Answer suggested is to use your GitP forum name. Use the same name on any client you set up.
- Qn 2. Team Number? Answer 82447 (our GitP team number of course!)
- Qn 3. Launch automatically at machine startup. If want to control when to give it network access (i.e. manual), answer no. Otherwise suggested Yes - This will install the client as a service (runs automatically in the background). If it is already installed as service, this question will ask if you want to remove the service (that is how to uninstall this client as a service).
- Qn 4. Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes)? Answer yes if want to control when network access. Otherwise (or if installing as a service) answer no.
- Qn 5. Use Internet Explorer Settings (no/yes)? Answer no.
- Qn 6. Use Proxy? Answer no, unless your network has proxies (it will ask about it if you answer yes).
- Qn 7. Allow receipt of work assignments ... greater than 5MB ... (no/yes)? Answer No
- Qn 8. Change advanced options (yes/no)? Answer Yes
- Qn 9. Core Priority (idle/low)? Answer idle
- Qn 10. CPU usage requested (5-100)? Answer 80. You can adjust this down if you find your system gets too noisy or hot.
- Qn 11. Disable highly optimized assembly code (no/yes)? Answer no.
- Qn 12. Pause if battery power... (no/yes)? Answer no.
- Qn 13. Interval in minutes, between checkpoints (3-30)? Answer 30
- Qn 14. Memory to indicate? Hit enter (or enter the maximum memory to use)
- Qn 15. Request work units without deadlines (no/yes)? Answer no
- Qn 16. Set -advmethods flag? Answer no
- Qn 17: Ignore any deadline information (no/yes)? Answer no
- Qn 18. Machine ID ( 1-8 )? Answer 1

Then the window will close.
If installed as a service (question 3), it will start automatically in the background after rebooting the computer.
If not installed as a service, click on FAH504-Console.exe file (not the shortcut) to run it (and can put add it to startup in the start menu if want).
Can check the unitinfo.log file (quick info) and fahlog.txt file (has lots of info) in the directory gives some details on what is happening

SithLackey
2008-02-25, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the help, [email protected] is up and running now, and my name should be un the team list as soon as this WU is done (shouldn't be long, it's already at 7~8%).

Zargon
2008-02-26, 10:51 PM
Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #16

In team news this update:
- We've reached the top 750 teams! Congrats team!
- 18 new members have joined our team for this update!! Adam, Arathena, Bashwright, Drivinallnight, Hexedian, Lunne, Magnusjen, Meeed, outsidethelinesofreason, Pagz, PS3_FanBoy, Ruduen, Shuz, silentstriderm, skolor, Thredd, VoidPointer and whiskeybob - Welcome to the team!

Team member point contributions:
Who has contributed to the team points for this update? Here is the list (in alphabetic order):
_, _Simius_, Adam, adanedhel9, Adghar, Administrator, Alarra, Al'izh'dheg, Andrew_Waddie, AngelSword, Arathena, Bashwright, Beaudoin, Bitzeralisis, Ceika, Darion_Fenix, Dassrat, DivaDe21, Draewn, Drivinallnight, e_chuck, Eldmor, Elektro, emmabim, Enigma1337, Exachix, FinalDuality, Firestar27, Forthork, frdougal, gaelbert, Gorbash_Kazdar, greecetrap, hardwidg, Hexedian, homestar3.14, Icwer, Jackie, Jellylu, JT-GitP, Juron_Pilo, KaiMaster, Kilian, KingofGriffins, Kyace, Lord_Tataraus, Lunne, Maadneet, Magnusjen, Mantlet, Mars, MaxDibe, Meeed, menschenfresser, Micate, Mman, Mobius_Stripped, MrEdwardNigma, Oblomovism, OgRib, OnnaOtaku, outsidethelinesofreason, Pagz, Phoe, potatocubed, PS3, PS3_FanBoy, Psykopig, Pyro, Randalor, Reina, Robert_Noble, Roger, Ruduen, rward30, Samiam303, Shuz, silentstriderm, skolor, Sric, StupidFatHobbit, Sungmanitu, Surmuck, Taran_Moltu, Tass, TheLogman, Thorn, Thredd, Tsitra, Tyrmatt, VoidPointer, vorpalbunny, whiskeybob, WillOWisp, WontonSoup, Xiagu, xwd, zargon, ZebTheTroll and ZombieRockStar.
With the top 12 members in points gained since the last update being:
1 KaiMaster
2 JT-GitP
3 frdougal
4 Al'izh'dheg
5 PS3_FanBoy
6 Kilian
7 OgRib
8 AngelSword
9 vorpalbunny
10 KingofGriffins
11 ZebTheTroll
12 rward30

Moving up in team ranks (in the top 100):
In the top 10: JT-GitP moves up into 2nd!! KaiMaster makes a massive leap up by 22 and into 4th!! Kilian leaps up by 4 into 10th!
In the top 20: New member PS3_FanBoy leaps up all the way into 15th! OgRib leaps up by 55 into 17th!
In the top 30: KingofGriffins leaps up by 38 into 26th! Beaudoin jumps up by 2 into 29th!
In the top 40: DivaDe21 leaps up by 28 into 35th! Enigma1337 leaps up by 8 into 38th!
In the top 50: MaxDibe moves up into 42nd! Sungmanitu leaps up by 8 into 44th! Darion_Fenix jumps up by 2 into 47th! Jellylu leaps up by 8 into 49th!
In the top 60: Adghar, Psykopig, WillOWisp, Administrator
In the top 70: hardwidg, Kyace, Mantlet, Tass
In the top 80: Tsitra, silentstriderm, Taran_Moltu, Lord_Tataraus, xwd, Robert_Noble
In the top 90: Bashwright, Randalor
In the top 100: Mars, FinalDuality, VoidPointer

Individual Milestones achieved (in points at 1K, 10K, 25K, 50K, etc.):
100,000 points: JT-GitP, Al'izh'dheg
50,000 points: KaiMaster, AngelSword, ZebTheTroll
25,000 points: Kilian, gaelbert
10,000 points: PS3_FanBoy, OgRib, KingofGriffins
1,000 points: Adghar, Psykopig, Tass, Tsitra, silentstriderm, Taran_Moltu, Lord_Tataraus, xwd, Robert_Noble, Bashwright, Randalor, Mars, FinalDuality, PS3, VoidPointer, emmabim, Dassrat, Juron_Pilo
Congratulations to all those that have achieved a new milestone!

DrivinAllNight
2008-03-01, 11:42 PM
Here are the customized installation steps:
First downloaded the file (FAH504-Console.exe) and place it in a new directory (e.g. C:\folding) http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html
A) Right click on the file (FAH504-Console.exe) and select to create a shortcut.
B) Right click on the newly created shortcut and select properties. In the window that pops-up, add at the end of the line called 'Target' all the following: -configonly -local and then click Ok. Use this shortcut whenever you want to change the configuration for the client.
C) Double click on the shortcut. It will then ask you a few questions.
D) Here are the questions and suggested answers:
- Qn 1. User name? Answer suggested is to use your GitP forum name. Use the same name on any client you set up.
- Qn 2. Team Number? Answer 82447 (our GitP team number of course!)
- Qn 3. Launch automatically at machine startup. If want to control when to give it network access (i.e. manual), answer no. Otherwise suggested Yes - This will install the client as a service (runs automatically in the background). If it is already installed as service, this question will ask if you want to remove the service (that is how to uninstall this client as a service).
- Qn 4. Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes)? Answer yes if want to control when network access. Otherwise (or if installing as a service) answer no.
- Qn 5. Use Internet Explorer Settings (no/yes)? Answer no.
- Qn 6. Use Proxy? Answer no, unless your network has proxies (it will ask about it if you answer yes).
- Qn 7. Allow receipt of work assignments ... greater than 5MB ... (no/yes)? Answer No
- Qn 8. Change advanced options (yes/no)? Answer Yes
- Qn 9. Core Priority (idle/low)? Answer idle
- Qn 10. CPU usage requested (5-100)? Answer 80. You can adjust this down if you find your system gets too noisy or hot.
- Qn 11. Disable highly optimized assembly code (no/yes)? Answer no.
- Qn 12. Pause if battery power... (no/yes)? Answer no.
- Qn 13. Interval in minutes, between checkpoints (3-30)? Answer 30
- Qn 14. Memory to indicate? Hit enter (or enter the maximum memory to use)
- Qn 15. Request work units without deadlines (no/yes)? Answer no
- Qn 16. Set -advmethods flag? Answer no
- Qn 17: Ignore any deadline information (no/yes)? Answer no
- Qn 18. Machine ID ( 1-8 )? Answer 1

Then the window will close.
If installed as a service (question 3), it will start automatically in the background after rebooting the computer.
If not installed as a service, click on FAH504-Console.exe file (not the shortcut) to run it (and can put add it to startup in the start menu if want).
Can check the unitinfo.log file (quick info) and fahlog.txt file (has lots of info) in the directory gives some details on what is happening

I was wondering what would be wrong with work assignments greater than 5mb? what do they do to the computer?
Also the install options listed is a great reference, gonna be using those instructions one of my PC's tomorrow

Zargon
2008-03-02, 05:34 AM
I was wondering what would be wrong with work assignments greater than 5mb? what do they do to the computer?
This setting affects the size of the work unit received - and the size of the work unit affects bandwidth and RAM used. For most people on broadband, even with the biggest WUs, bandwidth use shouldn't be an issue (although if on a basic plan that some providers have with something like a 1GB cap, then probably should stick with the small projects).

For RAM use, the largest size (if you permit the client to get large/big projects) is usually under 200MB for regular projects (can be a bit more for SMP projects).

If running XP and especially Vista with 1GB or less, would most likely want to keep the memory use small. With 2GB on a gaming machine, if don't want to manually stop & start the client, then that also should be kept to small projects.

Note - larger projects get a significant amount of bonus points to compensate for the extra resources used so for those that can set it to large projects (e.g. using windows graphics client but not running it while gaming), would be worthwhile to do so.

So the choice for RAM use depends on the situation.

Also the install options listed is a great reference, gonna be using those instructions one of my PC's tomorrow
Although much of the entries are standard, that was a customized instructions for a specific case although the big changes would be memory (e.g. if allow work units greater than 5MB) and network access (i.e. Unless have special reasons, answer yes to the question "Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes)?".)

First, is that the best client to use? Here is a short description (this is for Windows, if it is another OS, let me know)

1) Windows Graphics Client - can use only one core, can only install one instance, probably needs to be turned off while running 3D apps/games (its OpenGL use on some systems can conflict with other 3D apps and games), shows basic graphics, standard windows interface.

2) Windows Console Client - can use only one core but permits multiple installs on the same computer (can install times as many as have cores), text only, has popular service mode option, uses almost no RAM (i.e. about 400K excluding work unit), can run in background no matter what else is running (if RAM settings are set appropriately). Note - if install multiple console clients on one computer, then make sure that the machine ID # is different for each client.

3) Windows SMP Client - in beta, for dual or quad core CPUs, runs special work units that can be quite large (over 200MBs), improved research capability so awarded significantly more points, will need to reinstall in October (beta clients expire at preset dates to enforce the use of newer/better versions), console only (service mode isn't working properly) but is still beta (i.e. might has the occasional issue with a work unit). Also this is only for computers that are on most of the time due to very tight deadlines.

4) Windows GPU client - in beta. I'd suggest waiting for the significantly better new version to be released in the next couple of months (most likely). This applies only to those with an ATI X1600 and higher graphics card (for Nvidia it would be 8800 series only but this looks unlikely this year if at all). This client is like the PS3 client (pretty, does extremely well but limited in types of work it can handle efficiently). More details will be posted when the new version of this client is released.

Note - the various consoles and graphic clients all have similar questions but the presentation can vary (e.g. max CPU use is by a slider instead of a number in the Windows graphics client).

Note - With Vista and using the console client, after placing the downloaded file into it's directory, don't forget to right click and select properties and then tick "Run this program as an administrator".

If have more questions, check the FAQ links on the client download page and take a look at the very useful WIKI http://fahwiki.net/index.php/How_tos
or just ask :smallsmile:

Zargon
2008-03-20, 11:38 PM
Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #17

- We're now in the top 650 teams! Congrats team!
- 10 new members have joined our team for this update! Angew, Bildibik, Deleran, Edan42, Jukashi, Kakoshi, kuja.girl, Manryn, Robodave, SithLackey - Welcome to the team!

Who has contributed to the team points for this update? Here is the list (in alphabetic order):
_Simius_, Adam, adanedhel9, Adghar, Administrator, Al'izh'dheg, Andrew_Waddie, AngelSword, Angew, Arathena, Bashwright, Beaudoin, Bildibik, Bitzeralisis, Bobnik, Bugsysservant, Ceika, Deleran, Draewn, Drivinallnight, e_chuck, Edan42, Eldmor, Elektro, Exachix, FinalDuality, Firestar27, frdougal, gaelbert, Gorbash_Kazdar, greecetrap, hardwidg, Hexedian, homestar3.14, Icwer, Jellylu, JT-GitP, Jukashi, KaiMaster, Kakoshi, Kilian, KingofGriffins, Kitanin, kuja.girl, Kyace, Lord_Tataraus, Maadneet, Manryn, Mantlet, Meeed, menschenfresser, Micate, Mman, Mobius_Stripped, MrEdwardNigma, Oblomovism, OgRib, outsidethelinesofreason, Pagz, Phoe, potatocubed, PS3_FanBoy, Psykopig, Pyro, Reina, Robert_Noble, Robodave, Ruduen, rward30, Samiam303, silentstriderm, SithLackey, Sric, StupidFatHobbit, Sungmanitu, Surmuck, Taran_Moltu, Tass, TheLogman, Thredd, Tsitra, vorpalbunny, whiskeybob, WillOWisp, WontonSoup, xwd, zargon, ZebTheTroll and ZombieRockStar.
With the top 10 members in points gained since the last update being:
1 KaiMaster
2 Al'izh'dheg
3 JT-GitP
4 frdougal
5 OgRib
6 Kilian
7 vorpalbunny
8 PS3_FanBoy
9 AngelSword
10 KingofGriffins

In the top 10: Al'izh'dheg moves up into 2nd!!! vorpalbunny jumps up by 2 into 6th!! Kilian jumps up by 3 into 7th!! OgRib leaps up by 7 into 10th!!
In the top 20: PS3_FanBoy jumps up by 3 into 12nd! KingofGriffins leaps up by 7 into 19th!
In the top 30: Pyro jumps up by 2 into 22nd! Beaudoin moves up into 28th! homestar3.14 leaps up by 4 into 29th! Surmuck moves up into 30th!
In the top 40: Sric jumps up by 2 into 35th! Sungmanitu leaps up by 6 into 38th! Ceika jumps up by 2 into 39th! Psykopig leaps up by 15 into 40th!
In the top 50: Jellylu leaps up by 8 into 41st! Gorbash_Kazdar leaps up by 13 into 45th! Tsitra leaps up by 24 into 47th! Tass leaps up by 21 into 49th! Adghar jumps up by 3 into 50th!
In the top 60: hardwidg, silentstriderm, Maadneet
In the top 70: Arathena, Drivinallnight, Taran_Moltu
In the top 80: FinalDuality, Bashwright
In the top 90: whiskeybob, outsidethelinesofreason
In the top 100: Edan42, Ruduen

Individual Milestones achieved (in points at 1K, 10K, 25K, 50K, 75K, 100K, etc.):
200,000 points: frdougal
150,000 points: Al'izh'dheg, JT-GitP
125,000 points: KaiMaster
75,000 points: AngelSword
50,000 points: vorpalbunny, Kilian, rward30
25,000 points: OgRib, PS3_FanBoy, adanedhel9
10,000 points: e_chuck, Beaudoin
1,000 points: Arathena, Drivinallnight, whiskeybob, outsidethelinesofreason, Edan42, Ruduen, Firestar27, Hexedian, Deleran, Draewn, Bugsysservant, greecetrap, SithLackey, Adam

Sensate
2008-03-28, 02:22 AM
This is the first time I'm doing this and I must say it makes me feel a better person by 1-2%. I wish I could understand what exactly I'm helping for - those projects all look important, but too complex to grasp their meanings.

Ashes
2008-04-01, 04:17 PM
I joined as well. Seems like a nice thing to do. And my computer is always on anyway.

JT
2008-04-01, 10:05 PM
Welcome! We can always use more folders.

Vaynor
2008-04-06, 10:01 PM
OK, so, I downloaded it. But how do I actually sign up and join a team?

Creeps
2008-04-07, 01:44 AM
Joined as deadmstie, my other internet handle.

Also, dude above me, you can find our team # on the first page of this thread. Put that as your team and..well...poof.

JT
2008-04-29, 08:27 AM
Yahoo! We're in the top 500 teams, according to extreme-overclocking!

Zargon
2008-04-29, 09:49 PM
Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #18

- We're now in the top 500 teams! Congrats team!
- 14 new members have joined our team for this update! Anonymous, APWhite, Bieti, CASTLEMIKE, deadmstie, DeMorgan, Fishies, Issedil, Kanthalion, LordRod, Silophant, Silroc, TFBeyond, zalbarsj - Welcome to the team!

Note this will be my last update like this. I do hope someone else can take over the reins and do a periodic stats summary of the team (suggest at least once a month). The stats site http://kakaostats.com/mrt.php?t=82447 has plenty of information to help.

_, _Simius_, Adam, adanedhel9, Adghar, Administrator, Alarra, Al'izh'dheg, Andrew_Waddie, AngelSword, Angew, Anonymous, APWhite, Arathena, Bashwright, Beaudoin, Bieti, Bildibik, Bitzeralisis, Bugsysservant, CASTLEMIKE, Ceika, deadmstie, Deleran, DeMorgan, Draewn, Drivinallnight, e_chuck, Edan42, Elektro, Enigma1337, Exachix, Exeson, FinalDuality, Firestar27, Fishies, frdougal, gaelbert, Gorbash_Kazdar, greecetrap, hardwidg, homestar3.14, Issedil, Jackie, Jellylu, JT-GitP, Juron_Pilo, KaiMaster, Kakoshi, Kanthalion, Kilian, KingofGriffins, Kitanin, Kongming, kuja.girl, Kyace, Lord_Tataraus, LordRod, Maadneet, Manryn, Mantlet, Meeed, menschenfresser, Micate, Mman, Mobius_Stripped, MrEdwardNigma, Oblomovism, OgRib, outsidethelinesofreason, Phoe, PS3_FanBoy, Psykopig, Pyro, Reina, Robert_Noble, Robodave, Roger, Ruduen, rward30, Samiam303, silentstriderm, Silophant, Silroc, SithLackey, Sric, StupidFatHobbit, Sungmanitu, Surmuck, Taran_Moltu, Tass, TFBeyond, TheLogman, Thredd, Tsitra, Tyrmatt, vorpalbunny, whiskeybob, WillOWisp, xwd, zalbarsj, ZebTheTroll and ZombieRockStar.
1 JT-GitP
2 KaiMaster
3 Al'izh'dheg
4 zalbarsj
5 frdougal
6 Kilian
7 OgRib
8 AngelSword
9 vorpalbunny
10 KingofGriffins

In the top 10: JT-GitP jumps up by 2 into 1st!!! congrats! KaiMaster moves up into 3rd! Kilian moves up into 6th! OgRib jumps up by 2 into 8th! And new member zalbarsj leaps up by all the way into 10th!
In the top 20: Mobius_Stripped moves up into 12nd! KingofGriffins jumps up by 3 into 16th! Reina moves up into 19th!
In the top 30: Pyro moves up into 21st! homestar3.14 jumps up by 2 into 27th!
In the top 40: Psykopig leaps up by 8 into 32nd! Sungmanitu leaps up by 5 into 33rd! Sric moves up into 34th! Arathena leaps up by 27 into 35th! Jellylu leaps up by 4 into 37th! Ceika moves up into 38th!
In the top 50: Tass leaps up by 8 into 41st! Tsitra leaps up by 5 into 42nd! Taran_Moltu leaps up by 25 into 43rd! Gorbash_Kazdar moves up into 44th! Adghar leaps up by 4 into 46th! FinalDuality leaps up by 24 into 48th!
In the top 60: Mantlet, xwd
In the top 70: Robert_Noble, MrEdwardNigma, Robodave, Bashwright
In the top 80: Edan42, whiskeybob, APWhite, Oblomovism, Kakoshi
In the top 90: Angew, Draewn, Deleran
In the top 100: SithLackey, Issedil, Adam, DeMorgan, CASTLEMIKE, Bieti

Individual Milestones achieved (in points at 1K, 10K, 25K, 50K, 75K, 100K, etc.):
250,000 points: JT-GitP, Al'izh'dheg, KaiMaster, frdougal
100,000 points: AngelSword
75,000 points: Kilian, vorpalbunny
50,000 points: OgRib, zalbarsj
25,000 points: KingofGriffins, Reina
10,000 points: homestar3.14, Surmuck, Psykopig, Sungmanitu
1,000 points: Robodave, APWhite, Kakoshi, Angew, Issedil, DeMorgan, CASTLEMIKE, Bieti, Tyrmatt, Kitanin, kuja.girl, Manryn, Silophant

Taran Moltu
2008-05-12, 10:24 AM
Nice, I'm in the top 50. I think it;s time to install [email protected] on my other machines!

kuja.girl
2008-05-17, 02:36 PM
For those who enjoy protein folding AND games, check out:
Fold.It (http://fold.it/portal/adobe_main/)
I've created a GitP Team [here (http://fold.it/portal/node/238070)] and started a thread [here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80720)].
To join the team, find us in the directory (as linked above).

It is very likely that I will suck at this game :smallsmile:

dragon
2008-05-20, 12:21 AM
I Tried to Join *sniff, sniff* But my Computer Crashed *wah!*:frown:

Hunter Noventa
2008-05-28, 02:02 PM
I just added my PS3 to the team, I'll show up in 3 hours apparently.

Hairb
2008-06-08, 08:14 AM
Downloading it now. I never joined [email protected] because I was just too sceptical about aliens. This, on the other hand, I can get behind.

Silence
2008-07-08, 08:19 PM
Just downloaded it.

I got about 4 days and 4 hours till it finishes.

LoopyZebra
2008-07-21, 12:19 PM
I've been a user for bout a month; just switched team to GitP.

Murska
2008-07-24, 09:24 PM
Joined this one.

_Zoot_
2008-07-27, 06:20 AM
Wooooo...

I'm helping :smallbiggrin:

Um.... is there away to get it to tell you how much it is going to download before it downloads it?

suzy2512
2008-08-10, 11:43 AM
Er hi
I downloaded the folding thing but I can't work out how to register a username or make it work for GitP
Please help.

Rawhide
2008-08-15, 05:22 AM
Greetings everyone,

I'd very much like to get some momentum going with the [email protected] team. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do it all myself, but I'd be willing to oversee coordination.

Things we currently need:
An artist to design awards for reaching certain landmarks
Someone willing to write up weekly updates
Someone willing to compile and write a [email protected] FAQ
The current banner is very good, but I'd love to see some alternate banners for people to choose between
Anything else?

expirement10K14
2008-08-15, 11:13 PM
So joining this, once I figure out how too...

Lyserdigi
2008-08-27, 12:47 AM
Greetings. Waiting for my first fold to finish. I like the idea of webcomic team hanging in the top 500 in this kind of project :smallbiggrin: so I managed to get my ex to participate too, with the oots team.

And I just registered to this forum, 'cause i might have an idea about those achievement pictures & banners. Sadly I suck at drawing, and can't do those myself.

1. The banner i visioned, or maybe a set, has a text "Folding with the Giants" or "Folders of the playground" and would show the oots team folding those proteins a group, each of them with his/her own style... for example the Elan with origamis is just lovely, Varsuvius could hold a enlarged protein between his hands in magical glow. As a 'healer' Durkon could be showing an example for Roy and Haley how and what to do (like some grphs etc. on a blackboard), while Belkar would 'fold' some poor kobolds 'liverproteins' with his daggers... Other banners could host linear guild and team Xykon in similar fashion..

2. The achievement pics, could be way smaller, portraying only 1 individual at a time. From elan with his Origamis ":elan: -I'm participating" :smallbiggrin: (lowest) to Varsivus (highest) with a "mastery over natural laws" type of comment... i'm just bringing this up 'cause i think it might be a good(ish) idea, and it still needs refining...

-L-

TigerHunter
2008-08-27, 01:11 AM
Ok, I've got it running on two computers, and am about to set up a third.

How do I check what it's doing right now?

Adghar
2008-08-27, 01:24 AM
Goshdarnit.

Recently I formatted this computer, because I was too busy being nave to notice that I had downloaded a trojan. Now I downloaded the newest version of [email protected] However, maybe because I'm using my old username, [email protected] is using 0% CPU while System Idle Process is using ~98%. I've even checked the "slightly higher priority" box, and it is still humbly waiting for System Idle Process to finish its rounds.

Is it perhaps because the newer versions only kick in when I'm not using the computer? I haven't tested that yet. Used to be it took 50% of the CPU when I was using it before. Is there any way I could restore it to be that way? I generally didn't even experience slowdown in games with 50% CPU in the background.

Edit: Also now I can't see how many WU's I've working on, etc.

To above: I'm no distributed computing fanatic but I would say a good start if you're using windows is Task Manager's CPU monitoring, though that may have changed (as above) or, again, if in Windows, using the system tray icon.

Edit again! Woo for knowing when I've changed my post!

Log:
--- Opening Log file [August 27 06:16:43 UTC]

# Windows CPU Systray Edition #################################################
################################################## #############################

[email protected] Client Version 6.20

http://folding.stanford.edu

################################################## #############################

Launch directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Application Data\[email protected]

[06:16:43] - Ask before connecting: No
[06:16:43] - User name: Adghar (Team 82447)
[06:16:43] - User ID not found locally
[06:16:43] + Requesting User ID from server
[06:16:58] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
[06:17:13] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
[06:17:13]
+ Could not get ID from server. Retrying...
[06:17:33] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
[06:17:48] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
[06:17:48]
[06:18:19] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
[06:18:34] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
[06:18:34]
[06:19:23] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
[06:19:38] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
[06:19:38]
[06:20:46] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
[06:21:01] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
[06:21:01]
[06:22:36] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
[06:22:51] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
[06:22:51]
[06:26:01] + Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
[06:26:16] + Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID
[06:26:16]
[06:28:26] Opening C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Application Data\[email protected]\MyFolding.html...

Guess it is because I'm using my old user name. Anyone know of a way to fix this or will I have to wave goodbye to my score of 28000 and start afresh? Or is it just because the servers are down right now?

MOAR EDIT: Yesssss! I got it to work. It was just because [email protected] was being polite and letting Norton Antivirus keep it from doing anything. I'm back in the game! Although now I'm wondering if I should say screw it to this Norton trial and go back to AVG free. Also I might make banners/art if asked but I procrastinate like the dickens so if my brain suddenly decides it hates working with Illustrator again, I may not be able to finish. Also it would help if you told me specifically what to make and told it specifically to me. Preferably by PM. I know, demanding, but it's better than nothing.

TigerHunter
2008-08-27, 01:46 AM
To above: I'm no distributed computing fanatic but I would say a good start if you're using windows is Task Manager's CPU monitoring, though that may have changed (as above) or, again, if in Windows, using the system tray icon.
That only shows me how much memory it's using up. Other people were talking about it like they could see the problems it was working on.

Edit: I tried running the viewer, but it kept encountering problems and needing to close.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-28, 02:03 PM
Hi, Rawhide posted this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87895) some time ago.
So he requested banners.
Well I made one, and I hope you like it.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/legolas-maxx/GitPFoldingTeamBanner1.png

Nameless
2008-08-29, 11:22 AM
I've done the same as Dallas in the thread you posted some time ago.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x203/tomshaer/Foldingbanner.png

I hope it's okay.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-29, 10:40 PM
Done Downloading it.

I would make a banner, but my skills are inferior to those already made...
EDIT: So I downloaded it, but how do I make a username for it? I also installed it, after the DL.

Zargon
2008-09-02, 11:34 PM
Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #19

Summer stats update time!

- Now in the top 400 teams! Congrats to the team!
- 38 new members have joined our team for this update! _Zoot_, AgentPaper, Arkol, BAA, Churlish_Fellow, CyberNGA, Detrevnisisiht, dougcosine, Flandre, ghaden, Griever, Griever_, Hairb, Jimbert, Killersquid, Kyle_Vincent_Cancilla, Lansier, Leif_(Mad_Wizard), Leviathon32, LoopyZebra, LuisDantas, Lyserdigi, Memnarch, milo_is, Murska, mwelling916, pankake, QSmurf79, Rachel_A_Edwards, Ravengyre, retnuhytnuob, salami_armi, shaydin, Shellbullet, silas_the_monk, Silence, TigerHunter-2 and Xzoz - Welcome to the team!

Who has contributed to the team points for this update (i.e. in the last few months!)? Here is the list (in alphabetic order):
_, _Simius_, _Zoot_, Adam, adanedhel9, Adghar, Administrator, AgentPaper, Alarra, Al'izh'dheg, Andrew_Waddie, AngelSword, Angew, Anonymous, APWhite, Arathena, Arkol, BAA, Bashwright, Beaudoin, Bieti, Bildibik, BingoBob, Bitzeralisis, Bobnik, Bugsysservant, CASTLEMIKE, Ceika, CyberNGA, deadmstie, Deleran, DeMorgan, Detrevnisisiht, DoIhaveaname, dougcosine, Draewn, e_chuck, Edan42, Eldmor, Elektro, Enigma1337, Exachix, Exeson, FinalDuality, Firestar27, Fishies, Flandre, frdougal, gaelbert, ghaden, Gorbash_Kazdar, greecetrap, Griever_, Hairb, hardwidg, Hexedian, homestar3.14, Issedil, Jackie, Jellylu, Jimbert, JT-GitP, Juron_Pilo, KaiMaster, Kakoshi, Kanthalion, Kilian, Killersquid, KingofGriffins, Kitanin, Krursk, kuja.girl, Kyace, Lansier, Leif_(Mad_Wizard), Leviathon32, LoopyZebra, Lord_Tataraus, LordRod, LuisDantas, Lyserdigi, Maadneet, Manryn, Mantlet, MaxDibe, Meeed, Memnarch, menschenfresser, Micate, milo_is, Mobius_Stripped, MrEdwardNigma, Murska, mwelling916, Oblomovism, OgRib, outsidethelinesofreason, Pagz, pankake, Phoe, PS3, PS3_FanBoy, Psykopig, Pyro, QSmurf79, Rachel_A_Edwards, Ravengyre, Reina, retnuhytnuob, Robert_Noble, Robodave, Roger, Ruduen, rward30, salami_armi, Samiam303, shaydin, Shellbullet, silas_the_monk, Silence, Silophant, Silroc, SithLackey, Sric, Sungmanitu, Surmuck, Taran_Moltu, Tass, TFBeyond, TheLogman, Thredd, TigerHunter-2, Tsitra, Tyrmatt, vorpalbunny, Wabbajack, whiskeybob, xwd, Xzoz, zalbarsj, ZebTheTroll and ZombieRockStar.
1 JT-GitP
2 Al'izh'dheg
3 KaiMaster
4 AngelSword
5 OgRib
6 frdougal
7 Jimbert
8 KingofGriffins
9 vorpalbunny
10 APWhite

In the top 10: OgRib jumps up by 2 into 6th!
In the top 20: KingofGriffins leaps up by 5 into 11st! Jimbert (new member) enters the ranks in 14th! Reina jumps up by 3 into 16th!
In the top 30: APWhite leaps up by 55 into 22nd! Adghar leaps up by 23 into 23rd! Psykopig leaps up by 8 into 24th! homestar3.14 jumps up by 2 into 25th! Sungmanitu leaps up by 5 into 28th! Ceika leaps up by 9 into 29th!
In the top 40: Adam leaps up by 63 into 31st! Tass leaps up by 8 into 33rd! Robodave leaps up by 31 into 35th! Taran_Moltu leaps up by 6 into 37th! CyberNGA (new member) enters the ranks in 38th! dougcosine (new member) enters the ranks in 40th!
In the top 50: Angew leaps up by 44 into 41st! DeMorgan leaps up by 51 into 46th! TheLogman jumps up by 3 into 47th! whiskeybob leaps up by 26 into 50th!
In the top 60: Griever_, Edan42, Kakoshi, CASTLEMIKE, outsidethelinesofreason, LuisDantas
In the top 70: Silophant, Oblomovism
In the top 80: SithLackey, ZombieRockStar, Kitanin
In the top 90: QSmurf79, Anonymous, Bieti
In the top 100: Manryn, Silroc

Individual Milestones achieved
1,000,000 points: JT-GitP
500,000 points: Al'izh'dheg
100,000 points: OgRib, vorpalbunny
50,000 points: KingofGriffins, Mobius_Stripped, Jimbert, Elektro, Reina, gaelbert
10,000 points: APWhite, Adghar, Ceika, Adam, Tass, Robodave, Taran_Moltu, CyberNGA, dougcosine, Angew, Tsitra, Jellylu, DeMorgan, TheLogman, _Simius_, whiskeybob, Griever_, Mantlet, Administrator, Gorbash_Kazdar, Arathena, Edan42, Kakoshi, CASTLEMIKE

Rawhide
2008-09-02, 11:55 PM
Woohoo! We've got a few new banners to choose from and status updates have resumed!

Thank you very much Zargon, how long/often do you plan to keep this up?

P.S. Nameless, that banner is a bit large to put in signatures, are you able to reduce the height at all?

Zargon
2008-09-03, 12:26 AM
Except for the summer months (that are now over), I'm aiming for a monthly stats (until someone wants to take over).

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-03, 09:42 AM
Hiya.

I've set it up and started it.

Lets hope this works.(Cause the program acted weird at the end of the installation)

King_of_GRiffins
2008-09-03, 09:56 AM
Oh my. I've barely had my laptop on for the past few weeks and I'm still gaining points? :smalleek: Well, I suppose that's for the entire summer really... I'm wondering if those high school computers I put folding onto are still going. I suppose I might as well load it onto my desktop once I get some extra spare time.

Grynning
2008-09-04, 10:04 PM
DL'ed and joined! :smallcool:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-06, 04:28 PM
I think I just completed my first Unit.

Wooh, go me.:smallsmile:

Nameless
2008-09-08, 11:07 AM
Woohoo! We've got a few new banners to choose from and status updates have resumed!

Thank you very much Zargon, how long/often do you plan to keep this up?

P.S. Nameless, that banner is a bit large to put in signatures, are you able to reduce the height at all?

Oh, sorry, yeah I'll try.

EDIT:

I hope this better;

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x203/tomshaer/foldingbanner2.png

Silence
2008-09-27, 01:33 PM
Had to install it three times, but it worked.

AngelSword
2008-10-02, 11:14 PM
So, "[email protected]" has recently updated on my PS3, and it seems to be replaced by "Life with Playstation," a combined news feed/folding program. While it will still fold proteins, there was no option (that I saw) to check your progress. Has anyone else found a way to do that within this new program?

muthu
2008-10-03, 11:54 AM
Hey could you tell me how to run two instances?
I have a fast Core 2 Duo processor so I can run two.
Also When Im playing games, does folding slow you down?
-----------------------
Muthu

Sreevysh Corp (http://www.sreevyshcorp.in)

memnarch
2008-10-03, 05:46 PM
If you start needing cpu that the folding program is using, it should reduce its usage.

Don't know about the dual-core though.

thevorpalbunny
2008-10-03, 08:25 PM
Get one of the fancier versions (mostly still unstable builds, but they work); they'll use both cores if you have space.

Zargon
2008-10-05, 10:06 PM
Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #20

Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #20

Here is the update for September!

- We've moved up into the top 350 teams! Congrats to the team!
- 8 new members have joined our team for this update! CASTLEMIKE1, Dallas-Dakota, Grynning, Mariel_Dragon, Nullvoid, St.Sinner, Toastifer and Trogador
- Welcome to the team!

_, _Simius_, _Zoot_, Adam, adanedhel9, Adghar, Administrator, AgentPaper, Al'izh'dheg, Andrew_Morris, Andrew_Waddie, AngelSword, Angew, APWhite, BAA, Bildibik, Bugsysservant, CASTLEMIKE1, Ceika, CyberNGA, Dallas-Dakota, deadmstie, DeMorgan, Detrevnisisiht, dougcosine, Draewn, e_chuck, Edan42, Elektro, Firestar27, Flandre, frdougal, gaelbert, ghaden, greecetrap, Griever_, Grynning, Hairb, homestar3.14, Jellylu, Jimbert, JT-GitP, Kakoshi, KingofGriffins, Kitanin, Lansier, LoopyZebra, LordRod, LuisDantas, Lyserdigi, Maadneet, Manryn, Mantlet, Mariel_Dragon, MaxDibe, Memnarch, Mobius_Stripped, MrEdwardNigma, Murska, mwelling916, Nullvoid, Oblomovism, OgRib, outsidethelinesofreason, Phoe, Psykopig, Pyro, QSmurf79, Reina, retnuhytnuob, Robert_Noble, Robodave, Roger, rward30, Samiam303, shaydin, Shellbullet, silas_the_monk, Silence, Silophant, St.Sinner, Sungmanitu, Surmuck, Taran_Moltu, Tass, TFBeyond, TheLogman, TigerHunter-2, Toastifer, Trogador, Tsitra, VoidPointer, vorpalbunny, whiskeybob, xwd, Xzoz, ZebTheTroll and ZombieRockStar.
1 JT-GitP
2 Al'izh'dheg
3 OgRib
4 Jimbert
5 AngelSword
6 frdougal
7 KingofGriffins
8 Reina
9 Elektro
10 rward30

In the top 10: Jimbert leaps up by 4 into 10th!
In the top 30: Psykopig moves up into 23rd! Ceika jumps up by 3 into 26th! Adam leaps up by 4 into 27th!
In the top 40: dougcosine leaps up by 9 into 31st! Tass moves up into 32nd! Robodave jumps up by 2 into 33rd! CyberNGA jumps up by 2 into 36th! DeMorgan leaps up by 7 into 39th!
In the top 50: Griever_ leaps up by 9 into 42nd! whiskeybob leaps up by 7 into 43rd! TheLogman jumps up by 3 into 44th!
In the top 60: Oblomovism, MrEdwardNigma, xwd
In the top 70: Kitanin
In the top 80: QSmurf79, BAA, Andrew_Waddie
In the top 90: Hairb, Manryn
In the top 100: mwelling916

10,000 points: LuisDantas, Oblomovism, MrEdwardNigma, xwd, outsidethelinesofreason, Silophant, Maadneet, Robert_Noble

Zakama
2008-10-05, 10:21 PM
Just installed this... Pretty cool that we're in the top 500. :smallbiggrin:

Mabmoro
2008-10-09, 11:45 AM
Just joined the team.

Merlon
2008-10-12, 01:43 PM
Just joined in. It just may replace ProgressQuest as a stand-by program in my home computer :D

Edit: Keep advertising it on Playground. Gives such a nice extra flavour to this place.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-10-12, 03:27 PM
Weeh, just finished my 10th WU and am ranked 170th of the gitp team.

Merlon
2008-10-13, 12:11 AM
Now i am really convinced, that i need a new computer. I set it at the highest priority (50 % of cpu load) and still it takes it's sweet time to finish 1500-point-unit. With 9 hours, i have folded about 30% of it. The screensaver does not work either, but that just may be my OP system which should have been re-installed about 6 months ago :D

Dallas-Dakota
2008-10-13, 09:13 AM
Maybe you have to much stuff on?

Merlon
2008-10-14, 04:15 PM
Too much stuff on???

As what, on hard drive or in the task manager list? The first is about 75% full, but the second.... that i keep as empty as possible.

But is what it is... i have just finished my first folding. Next one to go, i hope that it was helpful to someone :)

Edit:

168 point for first work unit. Next (2500 point unit) running already.

Phishfood
2008-10-20, 07:06 AM
Now i am really convinced, that i need a new computer. I set it at the highest priority (50 % of cpu load) and still it takes it's sweet time to finish 1500-point-unit. With 9 hours, i have folded about 30% of it. The screensaver does not work either, but that just may be my OP system which should have been re-installed about 6 months ago :D

I dunno, Protein folding is a MASSIVE task. For those that don't know:

A protein is a long molecule which is a chain of amino acids. It is made up of potentially thousands and thousands of atoms. To fold a protein you must

1) Calculate the force exerted on each individual atom by a) every other atom and b) its environment (in most cases, water - adding more molecules to the mix)
2) Sum the forces from step 1)
3) Give each atom an acceleration in a direction based on 2)
4) Adjust each atom's speed based on 3)
5) Adjust each atom's position based on 4)

This loop must be redone once per femto (0.000 000 000 000 001) second of simulation time, as that is the vibration rate of a hydrogen bond.

So, yeah...its a lot of work.

(Posting this cos I just....borrowed....the spare CPU time of the servers at work for the team. They are on as user cahs07)

Estelindis
2008-11-09, 08:13 AM
Just joined. What a great project! :smallsmile:

Forthork
2008-11-23, 03:58 PM
About a year ago, I ran [email protected] and got about 600 points with about 60 hours of folding (my CPU was a pretty good one, too.) The other day, nVidia released their new set of CUDA drivers (more on CUDA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA).) So, after I installed the drivers, I decided to try out the [email protected] GPU client. I left it on overnight (and increased the fan speed on my graphics card), and I got about 2000 points. This thing is ridiculously fast. I notice a bit more of a performance hit while doing things with [email protected] in the background, and I have to watch my GPU temps, because they get pretty high, but I would definitely recommend that anyone with a compatible card (GeForce 8 or higher, or Radeon x2000 series or higher) and that wants to contribute to the project to install the GPU client.

Zargon
2008-12-08, 09:52 PM
Giant in the Playground Folding Team Update #21

Here is the update for Dec 1st!

- We've just reach the top 300 teams! Congrats to the team!! The rest of the stats in this update covers October & November.
- Welcome to the 24 new team members:Ashtar, Ayago, cahs07, CASTLEMIKE2, CASTLEMIKE3, Celtois, Compumyst, Cricket, DavidRousseauCharbonneau, DexStewart, Estelindis, Grindle, KarlDerGrosse666, Lordofnarf, Mabmoro, Merlon, morbidwombat, Pandaren, Pivo, Suzy2512, TakeV, Vorynn, wildwinds and Zakama!

_, _Simius_, _Zoot_, Adam, adanedhel9, Adghar, Administrator, AgentPaper, Al'izh'dheg, Andrew_Waddie, AngelSword, Angew, APWhite, Ashtar, Ayago, BAA, Bildibik, Bugsysservant, cahs07, CASTLEMIKE1, CASTLEMIKE2, CASTLEMIKE3, Ceika, Celtois, Compumyst, CyberNGA, Dallas-Dakota, DavidRousseauCharbonneau, deadmstie, DeMorgan, Detrevnisisiht, DexStewart, dougcosine, e_chuck, Edan42, Elektro, Estelindis, Firestar27, Flandre, Forthork, frdougal, gaelbert, ghaden, greecetrap, Griever_, Grindle, Hairb, homestar3.14, Issedil, Jellylu, Jimbert, JT-GitP, Kakoshi, KarlDerGrosse666, Kawaii_Neko, KingofGriffins, Lansier, LoopyZebra, Lordofnarf, LordRod, LuisDantas, Lyserdigi, Maadneet, Mabmoro, Manryn, Mantlet, Mariel_Dragon, MaxDibe, Memnarch, menschenfresser, Merlon, Micate, Mobius_Stripped, morbidwombat, MrEdwardNigma, Murska, Nullvoid, Oblomovism, OgRib, outsidethelinesofreason, Pandaren, Phoe, Pivo, Psykopig, QSmurf79, Reina, retnuhytnuob, Robert_Noble, Robodave, Roger, rward30, Samiam303, shaydin, Shellbullet, silas_the_monk, Silophant, St.Sinner, Sungmanitu, Surmuck, TakeV, Tass, TFBeyond, TheLogman, Toastifer, Tsitra, Tyrmatt, vorpalbunny, Vorynn, whiskeybob, wildwinds, xwd, Zakama, zalbarsj, ZebTheTroll and ZombieRockStar.

With the top 20 members in points gained since the last update being:
1 JT-GitP
2 Al'izh'dheg
3 cahs07
4 Jimbert
5 Grindle
6 OgRib
7 AngelSword
8 KarlDerGrosse666
9 vorpalbunny
10 Ashtar

In the top 10: cahs07 (new member) enters the ranks in 7th! Jimbert jumps up by 2 into 8th!
In the top 20: Elektro moves up into 14th! Grindle (new member) enters the ranks in 18th!
In the top 30: Adghar jumps up by 3 into 21st! KarlDerGrosse666 (new member) enters the ranks in 27th! dougcosine jumps up by 2 into 29th!
In the top 40: Robodave jumps up by 2 into 31st! Ashtar (new member) enters the ranks in 34th! Angew leaps up by 10 into 36th! whiskeybob leaps up by 4 into 39th!
In the top 50: LuisDantas leaps up by 13 into 41st! BAA leaps up by 36 into 42nd! Mantlet jumps up by 3 into 48th!
In the top 70: QSmurf79
In the top 80: St.Sinner, deadmstie, Hairb
In the top 90: silas_the_monk, MaxDibe, AgentPaper
In the top 100: Shellbullet, Toastifer, Murska, LoopyZebra, Lyserdigi, Detrevnisisiht

2,000,000 points: JT-GitP
1,000,000 points: Al'izh'dheg
250,000 points: AngelSword
100,000 points: cahs07, Jimbert, rward30
50,000 points: Grindle, adanedhel9
10,000 points: KarlDerGrosse666, Ashtar, BAA, QSmurf79, ZombieRockStar, St.Sinner

Lissou
2008-12-09, 01:12 PM
Saw the thread looking for artists, decided to join. I've just downloaded it.

I hope it's not one of these "run as a screensaver" things. People used to send some that would "calculate how much energy you save"... bull, mine would always stay at 0 for the simple reason that when I don't use my computer, I turn it off.
So hopefully, this can run while I'm using my computer. I still need to figure out how to install it properly first (I'm with Ubuntu).

EDIT: Well, I can't use it :( It needs 64bits and I'm only 32. That's a disappointment... I hope something will become available for the likes of me...snif.

Ashtar
2008-12-10, 08:53 AM
T'is fun that someone is using my username, but that someone is not me.

silas the monk
2008-12-23, 08:38 PM
I found this useful site (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=82447) with lots of dynamically updated stats.

silas the monk
2008-12-24, 07:28 AM
EDIT: Well, I can't use it :( It needs 64bits and I'm only 32. That's a disappointment... I hope something will become available for the likes of me...snif.

Lissou,
I don't think this is true. Reading the download (http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download) page you see that it supports the following:

Linux (x86) and BSD *combined uniprocessor

or

SMP (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SMP.html) client (i.e. multi CPU)* (64-bit required for SMP)

There are also forums (http://foldingforum.org/) dedicated to folding.

Estelindis
2008-12-25, 07:20 AM
Actually, I'm 32-bit and it works just fine for me. :smallsmile:

Happy Christmas, everyone! :smallbiggrin:

thevorpalbunny
2008-12-25, 02:14 PM
I hope it's not one of these "run as a screensaver" things. People used to send some that would "calculate how much energy you save"... bull, mine would always stay at 0 for the simple reason that when I don't use my computer, I turn it off.

It can run as a screensaver on some systems (not Mac, def Windows; not sure about Linux)
Always turning off your comp will not always save you energy. Example: If I turn off my computer , then come back in 10 minutes and turn it on, I have used more energy than I would have by leaving it on. Not sure about the exact threshold.

silas the monk
2008-12-25, 06:40 PM
It can run as a screensaver on some systems (not Mac, def Windows; not sure about Linux)
Always turning off your comp will not always save you energy. Example: If I turn off my computer , then come back in 10 minutes and turn it on, I have used more energy than I would have by leaving it on. Not sure about the exact threshold.

There is a discussion thread (http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1164) dedicated to reasons for running (or not) FAH. The screensaver stuff seems to be a big red herring as indicated by this thread (http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7500).

KingJulie
2009-01-07, 06:20 AM
I'm in, been a Oots reader for a very long time but never got into the forums.
Usually I dislike charities and stuff but [email protected] really appeals to me.

Maxdibe
2009-01-21, 01:38 PM
Hey guys,
look at my new signature :smallcool:

You can create one at www.dcstat.com.

1) it's free
2) it will update your score immediatly
3) it's customizable
4) it makes people think "hey, what a strange bar, let's click on it!"

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-01-24, 12:31 PM
Wow, this is an interesting proyect. Im downloading and setting up the program right now.

LightWraith
2009-01-30, 03:38 PM
I'm all set up... probably won't run 24/7, but I'll do what I can :smallbiggrin:

Also, Wraith28k = Me.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-01-30, 05:32 PM
Downloading as we speak, um, read.

Dreamshifter
2009-02-07, 04:45 AM
Eh, what the heck. My computer is always on anyway, might as well use those processor cycles for something. Signed up as Drenmar_Amyril.

Psionic Dog
2009-02-07, 04:45 PM
I may as well donate part of my processor time to science.

First unit is 5% complete... a little algebra for an extrapolation and it should finish that 250,000 step unit in about... 32 hours. :smalleek:

These aren't little projects, how much grind does it take other people's machines?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-02-07, 05:06 PM
Drat, I keep forgetting to to turn it on when I turn my pc on.....

Person1123
2009-02-08, 07:18 AM
I'm in, with (hopefully) all 4 of my working computers!

Heh heh
I love having so many computers...

And one of them is even up to date, too!

EDIT: I'm running an Intel-Mac (macbook), and I have no idea how i see what it's doing. can anybody help?

Estelindis
2009-02-08, 09:49 AM
Drat, I keep forgetting to to turn it on when I turn my pc on.....
Put it in Start Up. Problem solved. :smallsmile:

Psionic Dog
2009-02-08, 08:05 PM
EDIT: I'm running an Intel-Mac (macbook), and I have no idea how i see what it's doing. can anybody help?

Sure:
To activate it/ deactivate it go to System Preferences, [email protected]

For a general progress overview open the unitinfo.txt file, or open the FAHlog.txt file to view a more detailed progress history. You can find those files in the [email protected] folder that gets installed inside your personal Library folder (the one inside your User Folder), or you could search for the files in spotlight.

The website says a dashboard widget is under development that might provide more information, but I have no clue when or if that will be released.

Person1123
2009-02-13, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Psion-Dog!

Cloud
2009-03-14, 08:42 AM
This looks like an interesting project, count me in.

Random NPC
2009-03-14, 06:00 PM
Bioengineering student, reporting in!

KeiranHalcyon
2009-04-07, 11:27 PM
/me turns in first work unit.

anazopyreo
2009-04-10, 12:22 PM
I did [email protected] for a while and it was cool, now it gets packed with other projects and lets you pick and choose so you can work on more concrete stuff, but I've never been on a team, so as soon as i get home to my own PC I'm signing on. I have 2 PCs and I might be able to talk my boyfriend into it so that would make 3.

Stormthorn
2009-05-02, 09:28 PM
So this is essentialy willingly becoming part of a Botnet thats working for a good cause?

Seonor
2009-05-12, 11:03 AM
Wired has an article (http://www.wired.com/medtech/genetics/magazine/17-05/ff_protein?currentPage=1) about [email protected] and some other projects, might be interesting for some.

VirtualPenguin
2009-05-20, 02:10 PM
Just started folding two days ago, of course I had to use the GitP group :smallbiggrin: Just finished 1 WU so I should be on the list

thevorpalbunny
2009-05-20, 07:08 PM
So this is essentialy willingly becoming part of a Botnet thats working for a good cause?

Yes, but unlike normal botnets this one doesn't affect the running of your computer when you're doing things.

Erothayce
2009-05-27, 01:48 AM
Count me in. GO SCIENCE!!

sednanalien
2009-06-06, 08:53 AM
Count me in!

Kyouhen
2009-06-06, 09:17 AM
I'll get in on this.

Vadin
2009-06-06, 12:25 PM
I didn't realize there was a GitP team! Signing up with this one...now! Also, cool banner!

Dixieboy
2009-06-11, 02:22 PM
G33k signing in.

Edit:
25% done, this takes quite a while

Lupy
2009-07-06, 03:20 PM
I'm in! I have far too many computers, I'll get them all signed up.

Olorin Maia
2009-07-08, 11:33 AM
I'm gonna get in as soon as I have my own computer set up. This one is so bad that there is no way that it would accomplish anything. Plus it's my dad's and he would kill me for installing something that uses his comp

nxwtypx
2009-07-30, 11:54 PM
I guess this is my first post, too.

Count me in, boys! The Silicon-Heart Chimera's Core i7 and dual GTX260's are at your service.

Arutema
2009-08-08, 01:04 AM
So, "[email protected]" has recently updated on my PS3, and it seems to be replaced by "Life with Playstation," a combined news feed/folding program. While it will still fold proteins, there was no option (that I saw) to check your progress. Has anyone else found a way to do that within this new program?
Hit (or is it hold?) Square to open the "channel list" and scroll down to the Folding channel.

AngelSword
2009-08-08, 02:00 AM
Hit (or is it hold?) Square to open the "channel list" and scroll down to the Folding channel.

Thanks, but I've long since figured that out.

Arutema
2009-08-08, 03:20 AM
Thanks, but I've long since figured that out.

Sorry, forgot to check post dates.

Olorin Maia
2009-08-21, 11:54 PM
And my computer is now activated.

Tam_OConnor
2009-08-26, 07:52 PM
First unit turned in. Nothing to see here, move along.

2009-08-26, 11:22 PM
im having compatability issues with it, any advice? (vistax64, corei7 920 nvidia9800gt) its been a while but is there a shinier more multi-core/64 bit compatable version out? the normal version seems like something of a waste.

Kallisti
2009-08-27, 12:02 AM
I just downloaded [email protected] and joined the GiantITP folding team. Where do I get a sig banner? Found it!

Arutema
2009-08-29, 09:13 PM
I'll be adding several PS3s to the effort.

Gralamin
2009-09-06, 01:02 AM
Decided I might as well throw myself on the team, though the page for my work units never does seem to update properly. Oh well, I'll slowly be adding work units with my spare processing power.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently switching team numbers (from 0) makes the old work lost for my score. Oh well.

Anyone know of an easy way to give it access to extra cores? (I've got a i7, which hyperthreads up to 8 cores).

Arayl
2009-09-20, 05:40 PM
I just downloaded [email protected] yesterday and have already finished a WU and have started the second one.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-10-23, 03:54 PM
I'm totally in.

Adumbration
2009-10-24, 09:04 AM
Downloaded it, installed it. It is working now, although sadly it reports an error when I try to display it.

Phishfood
2009-11-06, 09:54 AM
Anyone know of an easy way to give it access to extra cores? (I've got a i7, which hyperthreads up to 8 cores).

Copy the entire install to a new folder (e.g. copy from c:\prog files\[email protected] to ...\[email protected]

then change the client ID in the options and run both copies. with a 4 core processor you can run 4 copies, I don't think [email protected] will hyperthread to run 8 copies.

SatyreIkon
2009-11-13, 03:47 AM
Sounds useful. I'm in.

Dispozition
2009-11-13, 04:20 AM
Just got back into this since I have a semi-powerfulish computer than can run it almost non-stop. I would run my more powerful one with it, but unfortunately I have a feeling that would detract somewhat from my frame rate in games, something I dislike v.v
I might get my laptop working on it too if I start using it more than I am now.

JT
2009-11-18, 04:12 PM
Copy the entire install to a new folder (e.g. copy from c:\prog files\[email protected] to ...\[email protected]

then change the client ID in the options and run both copies. with a 4 core processor you can run 4 copies, I don't think [email protected] will hyperthread to run 8 copies.

Alternatively, download the SMP client instead of the uniprocessor client. The SMP client will divide the job up four ways, and run them all in parallel.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-04, 02:19 AM
Okay, haven't visited this thread in a while. Trying to get my new computer set up to be running this again. I downloaded the regular CPU client and it's working just peachy, but I thought I'd try to run the GPU client as well, and that's proving to be problematic. I keep getting "NANs detected" and it won't run an actual Work Unit. It just shuts down. I tried browsing the forums for a solution but it's all way above my head and I can't make heads or tails of it.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4350 with 512MB of memory in a PCIe slot. I also have a 4 core processor and 8GB of DDR3, so there's no reason the system shouldn't be able to handle both, that I can see.

In fact, when I launch them both, the CPU version works fine and the GPU version starts running this Test Protein A. Last time this test protein ran for three days before it finally decided to download WUs and then quit on me.

Reinboom
2009-12-05, 10:20 AM
Zeb: That'd be your card choice.
I highly recommend avoiding any GPUs labeled with a x3xx or lower model, usually, getting the upper end (x8xx +) models of the last series tends to serve better. (So, I would always choose a 3850 over a 4350)
Your case shows why.

The 4350 is an absurdly designed card. It uses 80 stream processors on a gpu design that demands a few hundred minimum. Further, it can't really push the speed for efficient use of the 512 mb space, it has a small memory controller for the size, relatively. In comparison, the 3850's memory controller runs at about 10x the speed of the 4350.

Basically, what this means, is that [email protected] will see a nice, hefty, card there. It will push your GPU. The GPU can't take the actual transfer push. The GPU will overheat and tell [email protected] to can it.

You might be able to make it work for short intervals, however, by keeping a much more powerful coolant on it.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-05, 03:59 PM
@Sweet-

Well, that's what came with the system. Although, had I known all that when I was shopping around I might have upgraded on the spot. Now that will likely have to wait, due to Xmas and all.

Unfortunately for [email protected], the "short intervals" doesn't even get me to where I can d/l the first WU for them. It crashes on the test. You'd think they'd have this kind of information on the website where they're talking about what kinds of cards can run the client.

Oh well. Guess I'll just run multiple iterations of the CPU version while I'm not using my comp for games then. :smallcool:

Thanks for the info!

memnarch
2009-12-11, 04:22 PM
College dorm room is freezing, so I thought I'd try to run this again. Around Sept, the college internet connecting didn't allow work unit to be download.

It works! :smallbiggrin:

But the display has been changed from what I used last time; is there anyway to see how many units I've folded on this specific machine? This display just shows the molecule rotating.

Olorin Maia
2010-01-05, 11:51 AM
I just installed Windows 7 on my machine, and it keeps logging me out every time that I restart my computer. Does anyone know how I set [email protected] so it remembers my username, password, and team number?

Dispozition
2010-01-05, 04:57 PM
I just installed Windows 7 on my machine, and it keeps logging me out every time that I restart my computer. Does anyone know how I set [email protected] so it remembers my username, password, and team number?

I use win7 and all mine does when I restart is close, but whenever I reopen it, it remembers my details...Not sure what your problem could be...

Might it be the security settings in win7?

Olorin Maia
2010-01-05, 09:21 PM
Could be, I'm gonna keep changing stuff around. Thanks.

Fay Graydon
2010-02-07, 01:17 AM
*looks at it, gets a headache and sits down*
I don't get it :smallfrown:
At all...

Does that make me dumb? >.>

Magdela
2010-05-25, 12:42 PM
*looks at it, gets a headache and sits down*
I don't get it :smallfrown:
At all...

Does that make me dumb? >.>

No, that just makes you normal. :smallbiggrin: Don't worry, i don't get it either.
(edit: Never realized how elitist that sounds)

Gullara
2010-10-20, 02:20 AM
Check it out.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=RPGsr4me

Ya I know I'm behind on the times:smalltongue:

Snow Leopard
2010-10-28, 06:02 AM
I have just joined and I am talking about it with my colleagues.

Go lazy CPU, do research!

LightsOnNo1Home
2010-10-31, 05:02 PM
Just joined, although given that it's my PS3 I'm using to participate, and it can't do it in the background, I'm not sure how much use I'll be.

Still, it's for a good cause, right?

Snow Leopard
2010-11-04, 03:54 AM
Still, it's for a good cause, right?

Of course! I do a promoting activity for [email protected] almost every day.

At work our CPU (and GPU) are utilized below 10% in almost every common situation (Obviously I assume most people use word processing programs)

All this computational potential must be used and this is a good couse indeed.

LightsOnNo1Home
2010-11-06, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately I'd be out on my ass like a shot if I installed it on my work pc....

Kastanok
2010-11-10, 07:33 PM
So, years and years ago I contributed individually to Folding. Now I've finally downloaded it again and have joined the team. My 2 CPUs are hard at work contributing in their own small way.

Eon
2010-11-20, 11:24 PM
>.>
<.<
Need another teammate? :smallsmile:

Edit: Yay, I'm helping! :elan:

Vaelana
2010-12-10, 08:53 AM
If there is anything I can do to help, I will.
You have my CPU cycles...FOR SCIENCE!! :P

Dr. Love
2010-12-10, 12:58 PM
If there is anything I can do to help, I will.
You have my CPU cycles...FOR SCIENCE!! :P

fggf is the true way

Cloud
2010-12-13, 09:52 AM
Hmm, our team is in rank 219, which is great don't get me wrong, but being in the top 200 would be awesome. Fold computer, fold! For SCIENCE!

Demon 997
2010-12-13, 10:37 PM
I just joined. I have windonw 7 with an i7 chipset. Anything I should know to get it to run well? We have things to fold after all.

Perenelle
2011-01-09, 03:13 PM
Just joined, probably should have a long time ago. Better late than never. :smallsmile:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-10, 10:14 PM
Downloaded it to help, kept it running to see the protein 3d model rotating.

The_Final_Stand
2011-01-28, 01:19 PM
Welp, just downloaded. Got a pretty good computer. Hopefully will provide useful work-time while surfing interwebs. For science!

Saposhiente
2011-02-26, 11:27 PM
I downloaded this and started it, but then my cpu started to overheat and I had to shut it down x_x. Does anybody have advice for limiting how much it does on a macbook pro?

Phishfood
2011-03-09, 09:15 AM
Eugh, not so sure on the old macbook. I had the same problem on mine when I tested it. For some reason the mac client barely has any options to configure the client. Its also rather more difficult to pause and start it at will compared to the windows client so I just gave up. I figure having 300 PCs and 3 servers at work crunching away is more than enough :P

<edit>
From another forum:

There are no client flags for throttling back the CPU in the OSX client. Instead, use fahlimit, available from third party developer calxalot at www.calxalot.net, or use InCrease, his GUI shell for the OSX console client, which has CPU usage limits built into InCrease > Preferences > Pause.

If you are looking into throttling back due to heat issues, smcfancontrol can help by boosting the fan speed inside your Mac, which improves heat transfer and reduces CPU temperatures.

Let us know what you decide to do, and if you have any more questions.
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15680

may have to go have another look.

Starbuck_II
2011-03-13, 05:42 PM
Just Downloaded it. Typed team #. Glad to be a part.
I have 16 days it says.

Shovah
2011-03-15, 10:05 PM
Just installed the client, and seem to be getting similar speeds/estimates to what I've heard quoted around the place. But.. even with [email protected] running, my computer only goes up to around 20% CPU usage (tends to float around 5-10 when just browsing the internet) while I browse.

Is there a way to get more out of this?

Zeb The Troll
2011-03-16, 12:27 AM
Just installed the client, and seem to be getting similar speeds/estimates to what I've heard quoted around the place. But.. even with [email protected] running, my computer only goes up to around 20% CPU usage (tends to float around 5-10 when just browsing the internet) while I browse.

Is there a way to get more out of this?This is just a guess here, I'm hardly an expert, but my guess is that you have a computer with a quad-core processor and [email protected] only uses one core, and by default, it maxes out at 80% of that one core. This would be about the equivalent of 20% of all of your available processes.

Someone else may be along shortly to correct me.

OverdrivePrime
2011-03-20, 09:18 PM
Hm, just downloaded for my old G5 tower. Anyone know what kind of network draw Folding has vs something like [email protected] (which is what I was working on before)?

Lemonus
2011-03-20, 09:52 PM
Just downloaded [email protected], will join the team as soon as I get some sleep.

UPDATE: I set the team code to ours, how do I see how long my current WU is gonna take?

Phishfood
2011-03-21, 05:26 PM
Hm, just downloaded for my old G5 tower. Anyone know what kind of network draw Folding has vs something like [email protected] (which is what I was working on before)?

eh, not a lot. Its a few meg per work unit if you have large units.

Last WU for me:
[03:01:42] - Expanded 375685 -> 1807444 (decompressed 481.1 percent)
Downloaded

[08:54:21] Done: 582264 -> 560356 (compressed to 96.2 percent)
Uploaded

so, under a meg in 5 hours. I've seen 10Mb WUs, but they don't finish in 5 hours.

Lemonus
2011-03-27, 05:53 PM
Ok, sorry. [email protected] was slowing the computer down a lot, so I had to turn it off. :frown:

Al'izh'dheg
2011-07-11, 09:11 AM
Hey all. Just wanted to poke in and say hello. Hope everybody is enjoying their Folding! :)

StickMan
2011-07-13, 09:12 PM
Nearly four years after having prompted the Giants in the Playground Fold at Home team I've finally finished my first work unit. And will be folding more as I leave the new laptop to fold away.

Al'izh'dheg
2011-07-13, 09:49 PM
Congratulations on completing your first work unit! May you enjoy many more in the coming days/weeks/months/years. :)

Artemis97
2011-07-17, 03:15 PM
I was just looking into this, curious, and discovered that you all have been awarded a Certificate (http://fah-web.stanford.edu/awards/tcert.php?u=82447&pts=125967&t=wus&bg=4) as of today.

Congratulations!

Al'izh'dheg
2011-07-19, 01:16 PM
Horray for the Playground! Great job, everybody. :)

Phishfood
2011-08-18, 11:28 AM
What I love is that they have had nearly 100 published papers from this. :D

Its so awesome to increase the sum of human knowledge with otherwise wasted CPU cycles. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to find aliens too but I suspect protein folding is a LOT more likely to have practical applications and results. Like this:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/198068/20110815/new-drug-nearly-all-viral-infection-mit-researchers-discover.htm

irenicObserver
2011-09-27, 10:13 AM
Would bringing up Foldit be appropriate?

Gol_Stoan
2012-01-19, 02:23 AM
You have a new team member! Been using [email protected] since about December when I finally got DSL, just now remembered that y'all have a folding team. :-)

Processed 66 work units already, I am running the GPU version on my Nvidia GeForce GTX 560.

Huntington's runs in my mother's side of the family, so I have a very personal stake in seeing what comes out of this.

noparlpf
2012-02-08, 08:20 PM
This came up in Cell Biology this morning! I was all, "Hey, I've heard of that from the gaming forum I hang out on!" (Weird looks abound.)
If this were my own computer I'd totally do this, but seeing as how mine isn't really functional and this one is borrowed, I haven't installed this.

TechnoScrabble
2012-03-01, 09:34 PM
A few friends and I have been doing something similar for a nearby college that does synthetic biology, I'll see if they want to join in on this, though they may not want to, I still will.
Also, getting free bacteria that form into crystallized radios is fun. Even if they don't work most of the time and just transmit a strange hum on a low frequency.

EDIT: My pal mike just saw me making this post, apparently his grandfather has Alzheimer's, so count him in, too.

carpentron
2012-03-01, 10:42 PM
i'm in on this :smallsmile:

Edit: first fold done! 14 hours for a ~10mb WU... that is a lot of calculations damn

Woodzyowl
2012-03-28, 09:08 AM
I'll join in as well. Thinking about this, it seems like I *might* be able to convince my school to add some of its computers to our effort. Would anyone have an objection to that?

Fax Celestis
2012-03-28, 10:19 AM
I'm in. I'll post on my Facebook and try to drag other people in too. Already finished my first WU.

The_Admiral
2012-04-03, 05:05 AM
Just joined and 13 hours 31 minutes left.

Fax Celestis
2012-04-03, 09:39 AM
Also, this is related (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238372).

Gadora
2012-04-13, 01:17 AM
Well, I've just joined in. I'm a bit leery about leery about leaving my laptop running at 100% CPU usage, nearly 24/7. On the other hand, I usually leave it on almost 24/7 anyway and, since it's usually peaking at around 20% CPU usage, that's a lot of wasted potential...

We'll see how it goes.

Dr Bwaa
2012-06-11, 01:44 PM
I'll be putting this on both my computers as soon as I get home. They might as well be doing something useful while I'm at work all day.

Edit: all cores chugging away. This is good stuff; I don't know why I didn't jump on board earlier.

Elaborigen
2012-07-05, 04:07 PM
I just found out about this. Signed up.

Temotei
2012-07-24, 01:40 AM
I can't believe I missed this for so long. I just downloaded, installed, and joined the team. :smallsmile:

Diva De
2012-07-25, 03:53 PM
I used to do this. Now I am doing it again!

Dark Elf Bard
2012-08-04, 05:45 PM
Done!!!:smallbiggrin:

Teln
2012-12-08, 06:57 PM
Hey there, fellow folders! I've got a quick question--what does it mean when a work unit says its status is "Update_Core", and what exactly do I need to do to update said core?

scienceguy8
2013-02-11, 05:14 PM
Built a gaming rig for my office last summer and started folding immediately after it got built. Apparently, I've done 179 work units so far, but any future units will be done for the GitP Team as of today. Hooray science! Hooray distributed computing!

Defiant
2013-06-17, 09:03 PM
There are still folders out there, yes? I've just recently remembered about this phenomenon, and have spread it to all my laptops and suggested it to my closest friends.

AngelSword
2013-06-17, 09:41 PM
Not sure how recently this happened, but the folding via PS3 has ended. :smallfrown:

Defiant
2013-06-18, 09:21 AM
Not sure how recently this happened, but the folding via PS3 has ended. :smallfrown:

It's unfortunate, since the PS3 contributions were quite substantial. As far as I can tell, it was because PlaystationHome was shut down, and the FAH platform was attached to it. It's unfortunate that they did not simply port it or redesign it somehow.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userstats

Number 2 donor with massive contributions was PS3. I hope they bring it back somehow for the PS4.

Death by DM
2013-07-29, 05:26 PM
Hmm... sounds pretty cool.

LaZodiac
2013-08-30, 10:48 PM
Hmm... sounds pretty cool.

...woah your avatar looks cool.

ION: A pixie in my Shin Megami Tensei Feng Shui game just rolled three sixs in a row. This, in DND terms, basically means she crit three times. She's a nameless mook that dies in one hit. But, she is the strongest nameless mook.

EDIT: Oh god I'm sorry I thought this was the RB thread >_>

While I'm here, what actually is this? I don't understand.

Wookieetank
2013-09-03, 10:21 AM
Here ya go:

Thanks to a prompt from StickMan, I have created a Giant in the Playground team for [email protected] (http://folding.stanford.edu/)!

For those who don't know what [email protected] (http://folding.stanford.edu/) is, here is a brief run-down:
In a nut shell, it is a distributed computing project working towards scientific research to prevent and cure disease. Basically, the researchers need a big giant computer to do some very complex mathematical calculations. That of course costs a lot of money, money they don't have as they are a non-profit organisation (http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html#project.own) and all research will be published freely for everyone. So, instead, they organise thousands of people to have their personal computers run small fractions of the calculations in the computer's spare time, when it wouldn't be doing anything anyway.

Short version, SCIENCE!:smallwink:

Meta-Meta gamer
2013-09-07, 09:38 AM
definitely going to do this.

fryplink
2013-11-14, 10:21 AM
Just installed and started running this. Joined your team too, although I might end up on another someday.

Wookieetank
2014-02-07, 10:24 AM
Found out about a couple of neat things yesterday and thought this would be a good spot to share them.

Foldit (http://fold.it/portal/): Protein folding as a game, used for research purposes.

EteRNA (http://eterna.cmu.edu): RNA folding as a game, also for research, where any new RNA chains made are created in lab to see how they work.

PallElendro
2014-04-06, 06:56 PM
Thanks for showing me this! I can now say I donated to science! I also joined the GiantITP team, and it's impressive how much data we gathered in our team's life.

Right now, four of my CPUs are dedicated to research unless I'm away, when I use seven of eight. Every bit helps.

Lateral
2014-04-06, 09:15 PM
Well, I tried to install [email protected], but even at the 'light' setting it's killing my computer. Hot enough to fry an egg on. :smallannoyed:

PallElendro
2014-04-06, 11:09 PM
Well, I tried to install [email protected], but even at the 'light' setting it's killing my computer. Hot enough to fry an egg on. :smallannoyed:
On your Advanced Control in the background apps, select Configure in the top right corner, go to Slots, choose ID 0, Edit, then select however many threads you want your CPU to use.

What processor do you use? I have an Intel i7 Quad-Core 2670-QM @ 2.20 GHz and eight CPU threads, and four is only causing a little fan over-time, and Medium isn't any worse.

Octopusapult
2014-09-30, 05:26 PM
Joined. Though I'm only participating from a laptop and inconsistent internet access, but whatever I can do.

This is an awesome thing.

Sith_Happens
2014-10-22, 04:25 PM
Does it still run when the computer's in sleep mode? I generally close my laptop when I'm not using it so if that kills the process then I wouldn't exactly be of much use.

Svata
2015-09-21, 08:30 PM
So this is still a thing, right? Cause I just started, and I hope my computer's efforts aren't being wasted.

137beth
2015-09-21, 11:06 PM
The site is still updating with new completed computations, so it looks like it is still active.

armadaledoor
2016-08-04, 05:51 AM
i have done it beautifully.

Hollow
2016-08-08, 11:29 PM
Glad I was reminded of this project, I used to do it but it slowed down my computer to a crawl and I had to uninstall. Fortunately I now have a much better PC and it says ill be done with my first wu in about 4 days. :smallsmile:

PallElendro
2016-12-13, 04:12 AM
I'm having a little trouble with my Work Units on my new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080.

09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:*********************** Log Started 2016-12-13T09:09:54Z ***********************
09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Project: 9193 (Run 1, Clone 64, Gen 75)
09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Unit: 0x00000079ab40415457cb2de1bac5a74a
09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:CPU: 0x00000000000000000000000000000000
09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Machine: 1
09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Reading tar file core.xml
09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Reading tar file system.xml
09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Reading tar file integrator.xml
09:09:54:WU02:FS01:0x21:Reading tar file state.xml
09:09:55:WU02:FS01:0x21:Digital signatures verified
09:09:55:WU02:FS01:0x21:[email protected] GPU Core21 [email protected] Core
09:09:55:WU02:FS01:0x21:Version 0.0.17
09:10:02:WU02:FS01:0x21:ERROR:exception: Error downloading array interactionCount: clEnqueueReadBuffer (-5)
09:10:02:WU02:FS01:0x21:Saving result file logfile_01.txt
09:10:02:WU02:FS01:0x21:Saving result file log.txt
09:10:02:WU02:FS01:0x21:[email protected] Core Shutdown: BAD_WORK_UNIT
09:10:05:WARNING:WU02:FS01:FahCore returned: BAD_WORK_UNIT (114 = 0x72)
09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Sending unit results: id:02 state:SEND error:FAULTY project:9193 run:1 clone:64 gen:75 core:0x21 unit:0x00000079ab40415457cb2de1bac5a74a
09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Uploading 2.39KiB to 171.64.65.84
09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Connecting to 171.64.65.84:8080
09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Upload complete
09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Server responded WORK_ACK (400)
09:10:05:WU02:FS01:Cleaning up

I'm getting this error every time I try to start a Work Unit on my GPU. If you need specs,

MSI ARMOR OC 8G GTX 1080
8 GB GDDR5X
1733 MHz
Driver: 376.19

m9p909
2016-12-17, 11:08 AM
Now I won't be wasting power by leaving the computer on idle thanks for mentioning it :smallsmile:

does anyone know where I can find an explanation for what is happening in the visualization?

quietkal
2017-01-16, 09:09 PM
Nice, now my computer can accomplish something while I aimlessly trawl about the intertubes

Leucis
2017-05-19, 07:09 PM
Found out about a couple of neat things yesterday and thought this would be a good spot to share them.

Foldit (http://fold.it/portal/): Protein folding as a game, used for research purposes.

EteRNA (http://eterna.cmu.edu): RNA folding as a game, also for research, where any new RNA chains made are created in lab to see how they work.

To add to this, I also found Mozak (http://www.mozak.science/game), a game to basically reconstruct neurons, it looks like.

Trekkin
2017-05-20, 10:42 PM
does anyone know where I can find an explanation for what is happening in the visualization?

This is almost exactly my field. How detailed an explanation do you want?

EDIT: Here, I tried to write a short one and failed. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?525629-Half-an-explanation-of-protein-folding)

acheter
2017-10-26, 07:53 AM
Just downloaded it.

I got about 4 days and 4 hours till it finishes.

jay103
2018-03-20, 08:40 AM
Well, I'm late to the party, but in only 15 days I'll have some work units for you!

(edit: looks like it's much faster than that, thank goodness. No usable GPU, but 8 cores..)

Lyserdigi
2020-04-06, 02:54 AM
Hello there fellow GITP/OOTS fans :3
Since there is this new "C" threat floating about, and we have a perfectly nice group still "active" here, how about i just.. kinda.. advertised this option a bit ^^
Folding at home is now doing mostly "C" related, time sensitive projects, and has gained truly MASSIVE boost to its computational power over the last few weeks..
about two weeks ago there was an article saying [email protected] now had more computational power than 7 of the most powerful supercomputers, COMBINED ..
last week they had more than tripled the amount, and the total computation power is now nearing 2 EXAFLOPS.. this is truly remarkable
and, as fate would have it, we are still, this ancient group we had here, still among the top 250 teams..
lets see what us fantasy and rpg loving geeks and do about this level of a bossfight !!
This Corona thing is basically the endgame bossfight with Xykon, to which we can all participate in as healers in the background to boost and give bonuses to hit dice to the real warriors, with our combined efforts.

So, since i know many of you must have adequate computers with graphix cards, what are you waiting for ?
Call for adventure is NOW !
And all you need to do is donate bit of electricity and your computers massive calculation power, when you are not using it yourself..
it has NEVER been easier , to be an actual hero, and make a difference to everyones lives !!
Join in NOW, and show that Lich he can't make us all stay at home forever.. and the longer he makes us..
the more powerfull we become :3

With love and respect
-Lyser-

trtl
2020-04-07, 10:49 AM
This is really cool but I'm having trouble.

I have a Chromebook and the folding app is apparently no longer supported. Is there any other way to use [email protected] on a chromebook?

Lyserdigi
2020-04-07, 02:27 PM
Hello There trtl, glad to see enthusiasm.. sadly it seems that supported folding software for Chrome OS have been discontinued since 2019... and most likely participating with chromebooks would be a hassle without installing pure linux on them or something...

And sadly, laptops, especially ones without any kind of graphix card, do perform quite poorly. Plus many smaller laptops are not properly cooled, and run the risk of overheating or thermal throttling.. so i would not advice to use chromebooks or any other not properly cooled laptop for such heavy duty continuous calculations... you do run a risk of damaging some hardware in the long run, if you run such hardware constantly at their limits..

that is, at least, my personal view and advice on it..
Still, glad to see enthusiasm to join in and do your part ^^

With Love and Respect
-Lyser-

trtl
2020-04-07, 04:24 PM
Hello There trtl, glad to see enthusiasm.. sadly it seems that supported folding software for Chrome OS have been discontinued since 2019... and most likely participating with chromebooks would be a hassle without installing pure linux on them or something...

And sadly, laptops, especially ones without any kind of graphix card, do perform quite poorly. Plus many smaller laptops are not properly cooled, and run the risk of overheating or thermal throttling.. so i would not advice to use chromebooks or any other not properly cooled laptop for such heavy duty continuous calculations... you do run a risk of damaging some hardware in the long run, if you run such hardware constantly at their limits..

that is, at least, my personal view and advice on it..
Still, glad to see enthusiasm to join in and do your part ^^

With Love and Respect
-Lyser-

This is big sad :smallfrown:

Thanks though!

xaosseed
2020-08-14, 04:04 AM
Very good - I have been looking for a team!

Blight
2021-08-08, 04:37 PM
They actually pay you for this now