PDA

View Full Version : Slightly silly idea I've had, and wanted some feedback.

FabulousChester
2017-09-01, 01:55 PM
So, Way of the Kensei's pretty cool (wish they'd just call it 'Weapon Adept' or something else instead, but that's just pedantry) since it allows for monks with bows. Now, I was thinking of ways to hone in on that niche.

So, yeah, just going straight Kensei will do it well, but I though it could benefit from fighter and/or ranger levels. I also had the though to take 'improvised weapons' as my melee Kensei weapon so I could wack people with the bow (don't do this in reality, it's a terrible idea) for the visual of striking someone, stunning them, and then sharpshooting them in the face.

Anybody have any speculation on how to bow monk?

Sariel Vailo
2017-09-02, 09:14 AM
Ahem well grab elven accuracy feat sharpshooter feat and tavern brawler i think is the right feat all you need now is an oathbow and a quiver ehlona bam ultimate monk shooter

Foxhound438
2017-09-02, 09:54 PM
if you're going for sharpshooter, a later 3 level dip into fighter for precise attack is probably a good idea, as is archery FS. Ranger is marginal by comparison. the only thing that has that good of synergy there early on is ensnaring strike, which is unfortunately single target and uses a long rest resource. Maybe there's a way you can leverage a subclass feature here, since you're already using unearthed arcana, but I'm not sure what you would use or how.

Unfortunately in either case, if you are looking to get to high levels, taking 3 levels outside of monk does ultimately lock you out of getting empty body, which in itself would be great for sharpshooting thanks to the invisibility.

CaptainSarathai
2017-09-03, 06:45 PM
+Rogue (assassin)
+Ranger (hunter)
= All first round shots Crit, each triggers another shot.

+Fighter
= Archery Style, Action Surge on that first round, and Maneuvers if you want 'em.

-Monk
Hey, get it online faster...

bid
2017-09-03, 08:00 PM
I also had the though to take 'improvised weapons' as my melee Kensei weapon so I could wack people with the bow (don't do this in reality, it's a terrible idea) for the visual of striking someone, stunning them, and then sharpshooting them in the face.
Why use "improvised weapon" when your naked hands do as much damage. Just fluff your empty hand as your bow hand.

Sicarius Victis
2017-09-03, 10:26 PM
+Rogue (assassin)
+Ranger (hunter)
= All first round shots Crit, each triggers another shot.

Only one shot in each round can trigger another shot, and unless you're going Deep Stalker you also have to attack multiple different people to even get that bonus shot.

FabulousChester
2017-09-04, 05:02 PM
Why use "improvised weapon" when your naked hands do as much damage. Just fluff your empty hand as your bow hand.

That's a good point, since it doesn't really grant me an advantage to take improvised weapons.

if you're going for sharpshooter, a later 3 level dip into fighter for precise attack is probably a good idea, as is archery FS. Ranger is marginal by comparison. the only thing that has that good of synergy there early on is ensnaring strike, which is unfortunately single target and uses a long rest resource. Maybe there's a way you can leverage a subclass feature here, since you're already using unearthed arcana, but I'm not sure what you would use or how.

Unfortunately in either case, if you are looking to get to high levels, taking 3 levels outside of monk does ultimately lock you out of getting empty body, which in itself would be great for sharpshooting thanks to the invisibility.

Three levels of fighter is probably the best. We use Revised Ranger, so natural explorer and favored enemy are a might boon. It can be difficult to tell exactly what levels our groups' games will go to, so I often find myself forgetting about high level features, but that empty body trick sounds pretty damn nice.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-04, 05:22 PM
I've toyed with the idea of monk archery before, here's a few combows(get it ) I've come up with.

Kensai/arcane archer

Kensai/sharpshooter(fight subclass)

Kensai/Nomad (Nomadic arrow!)

Kensai/cavalier (mounted archer)

Kensai/battle master

Kensai/hexblade (bow smites)

Kensai/Ranger (a lot of different potential here)

My favorite is the kensai/arcane archer. Gives you very magical feel without spells, and you can just do magic arrows because it's your kensai weapon. I think 12/8 fighter/monk is best way to do it.

FabulousChester
2017-09-05, 09:18 PM
I've toyed with the idea of monk archery before, here's a few combows(get it ) I've come up with.

Kensai/arcane archer

Kensai/sharpshooter(fight subclass)

Kensai/Nomad (Nomadic arrow!)

Kensai/cavalier (mounted archer)

Kensai/battle master

Kensai/hexblade (bow smites)

Kensai/Ranger (a lot of different potential here)

My favorite is the kensai/arcane archer. Gives you very magical feel without spells, and you can just do magic arrows because it's your kensai weapon. I think 12/8 fighter/monk is best way to do it.

I will file the Arcane Archer/Kensei for future consideration!

It's impossible to miss that pun, for it was rather straight to the point. (Pls I'm sorry)