PDA

View Full Version : Chronicles of the Oxley Manor (Year 943 - Year of the Crow)

Lacco
2017-09-01, 03:13 PM
When the courier entered the tavern, everybody looked at him. He handed Elden the letter and for a moment it looked like time had stopped.

The letter bore a seal and insignia of King Osric the Magnanimous, fourth of his name. There was no doubt.

Later that night, you all sat around table, listening to Elden. He was recalled back home – his step-uncle, family mostly by name, was dead. And for some reason, he decided to leave all his belongings to Elden. He was supposed to take over his manor and his estate.

Home. The resting place of Elden's ancestors, as well as home to some of you.

You all agreed. The decision has been passed.

You collected your belongings, sold what could not be transferred...

...and rode to the Oxley Manor.

That was four weeks ago. The travel was rather uneventful - the roads of the kingdom were mostly safe. At least in these parts - the civilized parts.

As your travel neared its end, they started hearing the rumors. About the manor.

Bandits in the woods.

Monsters in the hills.

Hell-hole in the manor.

Devil-worshipping lord, master of dark magic, sacrifices, mysterious deaths...

It was three days before end of Coldmoon, when then they finally reached the border stone. It was evening, with sun slowly setting, bathing the whole area in its gentle rays.

In front of them a valley opened, a lush green valley covered mostly by dense emerald forest, cut by a wide river in the middle, flowing graciously towards the sea in distance. The stormy clouds provided a dramatic backdrop which highlighted the manor - a large, stone villa, surrounded by three circles of fortifications, standing on the reef. It reminded them of bird of prey - watching the surroundings, looking for danger.

And danger there was. At least from what the people said...

There were no lights in the manor. Little wonder, considering how the people they met spoke about it.

The village of Argellon stood below the manor, near the sea. It was a small, but picturesque village, consisting mostly of wooden longhouses. Four buildings stood apart even in the dusk - the mill, the smithy, the tavern and one large, stone house. The houses were simple in their style - but the locals were known to decorate them intensively both with small painted runes and results of their work.

The air was still cold, especially with sea breeze, and smelled of winter - but it slowly promised return of summer.

This was your future home. This was the Oxley Manor and the estate.

Welcome to the Manor Chronicles!

Please, introduce your character. Feel free to show-off. You are now standing at the border stone, atop a hill, looking at the wonderfully beautiful, dangerous land that you are now masters of.

When everybody introduces themselves, we'll ride to the village :smallbiggrin:. There are people waiting for you there.

Valmark
2017-09-01, 04:37 PM
Elija Elston, the Scoundrel

I get off the horse to stretch my legs, eager to go down, as Crown, my crow, takes the air to fly a bit.
"Boss, we live in a villa! It's awesome! Sure, paying heed to the rumors makes it look like demon live inside it, but who cares!
Come on come on come on let's go already! There'll be ale and fair maidens and treasures and dances and music and..." I keep going on while looking around, enjoying the view.
"Do you think there will be dragons? Trolls? All kinds of beasts? Angry fathers? Well, there will surely be angry fathers..." I say, trying to not laugh at the thought.

JamesT
2017-09-01, 08:15 PM
Elden barely hears what the scoundrel is saying. With a lump in his throat he tries to put words to his thoughts, and mumbles something unintelligibly at first.

He tries to hide his discomfort - that pit in his stomach that has him second-guessing his decision to leave behind a simple life and take on this mountain of responsibility.

But then he composes himself, somehow resolute, and the giant of a man, who fully accepts the nickname "Ox", stands tall overlooking the estate and town.

The ale will flow, but so will our determination to restore this land to its true glory. Whatever challenges lie ahead, we will face them together.

My friends, do not look upon me as your boss. I may be in charge here, but rest assured, I'm here to serve as much as I'm here to lead.

Now, let's head in, and tonight we will raise a glass to our futures at Oxley Manor!

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-02, 10:19 PM
Fredrick gives Eden smile and tries in vain to stifle a yawn. He appreciated the speech and humbleness his friend had. But the days of riding had made his but sore and his longing for a real bed intense.
"Hey Ox we're going to stay the night at the inn right I don't think it would do us much good trying to find the bedrooms in that manor if we can't see two feet in front of us."
Fredrick was well aware of how tired the others and Eden were. Fredrick was also hankering for a game not much fun playing cards against the same people day after day.

JeenLeen
2017-09-03, 03:38 PM
Neiman listens with affection to what his new Lord says. Of course, he'd known before they started off that Ox wasn't one for "M'lord"s and such, but such he was regardless.

At Frederick's comment, he smiles.
"I gotta agree with Frederick, Ox. It could be a good chance to show the people, or try to show 'em, that you're different from your uncle. Buying a round can go a long way to make people like you."

Some fear traces into his tone as he adds, "And if half the rumors we've heard are true... Nay, even a sliver, I'd rather explore our new house in the daylight."

OOC note: in armor. Even if fatigue would make it unreasonable for the majority of the trip, he'd want to be armored as we near the ex-realm of a dark sorcerer

Lacco
2017-09-05, 03:34 PM
As the sun slowly glided towards the horizon, they watched as first lights appeared in the village - the large house, as well as the tavern, were first with lights in their windows. They still could reach either the village or the manor in time, before sun disappeared into the sea.

They watched the villagers - small figures in distance - drift towards their houses, or towards the tavern. In front of the tavern they noticed also a large, black carriage. It clearly did not belong there.

And then they noticed it. A single light in the manor.

@JeenLeen: No fatigue for the armour now - however, normally it will make you fatigued faster.

We'll ignore it for now.

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-05, 09:24 PM
Fredrick looks at the manor a deep uneasiness starts to rise in his heart. Whatever rumors the people spoke of they had to come from somewhere and it looks like something in fact still inhabited the manor. Whether it was a ghost or the local homeless however still remained to be seen. Despite the light or because of it his desire to acquire a bed for the night and sleep in comfort doubled.
"Umm hey Ox if you want to I can go book us a couple of rooms at the inn if you guys want to go check out the manor. It looks like it might be some pad foot probably."
He smiles hoping Elden will let him go to the inn but he knows he's probably going to get dragged into whatever strangeness was going on at the manor.

Valmark
2017-09-06, 02:43 AM
"Uh... there's a light there. Maybe it's a ghost? Let's go see!" I say, jumbing back on the horse.
"Or maybe it's a group of monsters! I can already see us fighting blade-and-tooth against some horrible creature..."

JeenLeen
2017-09-06, 09:06 AM
Neiman looks visibly perturbed at the light in the manor. He starts to speak, at first not confidently.

"...well, at least a light in the manor probably means a living thing in it, so something that we should be able to handle. Could be an old steward or some one who decided to stay around, after all.

That wagon looks foreboding. Could be someone trying to step in in your land before you get here. It doesn't look like it belongs to the village folk. "

Looking between the wagon and the manor, he continues, "Well, Ox, you're the lord here, so I reckon it's your call. But my vote is to make sure your people are okay with whoever owns that wagon. If someone is crashing in our new home, we can handle them tomorrow as easily as today."

He takes off his helmet and stares at the manor, trying to place in his mind exactly which window has the light in it.

Not sure if I'm doing it right, but I think Orienteering could be used to try to mark the location in his mind, so we can investigate it better tomorrow.

Perception @ TN 6
[roll0]
Or if it's MA... well, same number of dice, so same result.

JamesT
2017-09-06, 11:26 PM
Ox looks back from the light in the manor, his gaze fixing on the wagon and the inn.

We seem to be one head short of our expected group here. First, we wait for the last of our companions.

Once he is here, I'm in agreement with Neiman regarding our immediate concern. For me personally, that will always be the people - so let's address whatever is happening at the inn, and if we still have time, the manor after.

Lacco
2017-09-07, 11:40 AM
There were now three sources of light observable in the manor.

The one that moved in the manor, on second floor.

A large fire on the second courtyard - they could see only the reflection of the flames, but they could definitely tell, that there was a large campfire, or bonfire.

And third one... several small fires, outside the manor. Right below the outer fortifications. They could also see figures moving around there - people.

Valmark
2017-09-07, 03:41 PM
"...boss? There are A LOT of people at the manor apparently. And many lights" I say, looking at the manor, thinking.
"Shouldn't one of us pick me pick me pick me go check? What if they're trying to torch it down to the ground!? We know the bad reputation of this place" I keep saying as I take my things from my horse, thinking how to get there if they tell me not to.

JamesT
2017-09-07, 07:18 PM
Ox considers the new turn of events and his companion' swords thoughtfully.

Perhaps you are right, and that means we would need to split up. Take two with you - I will take whoever remains with me to the inn. Send for me if there is trouble.

Valmark
2017-09-07, 07:55 PM
"He, alright, leave it to us!" I say, looking up at Frederick and Neiman.
"Here's the plan, let's approach until a certain distance the I'll go silently to spy what are they up to. Any thoughts?" I say, waiting for them.

Can we go there on foot or is it better on horse?

To clarify: my plan is to approach the manor then either Elija or Neiman goes Sneaky to observe. Then we decide what to do, either going back or try to talk. I hope we don't have to fight already, especially since it looks like there are many people.

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-08, 08:31 AM
Fredrick quickly realizing he could get out of investigating the strange mob replies "Well if you and the others are going to go investigate we better start on our end then right Ox?" He looks to Elden hoping he would agree.

JeenLeen
2017-09-08, 04:16 PM
Neiman nods and puts his helmet back on. With a heavy sigh, he says, "This is not the welcome I had hoped for. I fear someone is trying to attack our home, or perhaps some bandits have claimed it. So, yeah, let's take a look. I'm not the best scout, but I've had to sneak some in my days. I can do it if neither of you feel more comfortable.

Well, m'lord, I wish you luck at the inn. We'll send word if we find ill intent."

I have sneak at TN 8, but I'm not sure what to use? Agility? lacco, feel free to roll for me if needed.

Lacco
2017-09-11, 04:39 PM
11th of Spiritfeast
Quartus (Fourth day of the week)
Village of Argellon

The ride through forest was rather pleasant - the lush green pine trees, whose colour was even more pronounced on the remnants of snow, lined the road, along with barren branches of the deciduous trees. It took them half hour to get near the village, and even from here it looked picturesque.

The buildings were mostly wooden, but skilfully decorated in the northern fashion. The mill's wheel rotated, pushed by the fast-flowing river. As they came closer to the village, they noticed also second mill, closer to the sea. This one was propelled by wind, and though there was a breeze, its arms did not move for some reason. The whole area looked a bit abandoned, with overgrowth reaching the lower windows of the mill.

They passed both mills, and rode over the wooden bridge, enjoying last rays of the jagged winter sun. Spiritfeast only had thirteen days - and was considered to be most unlucky month in the whole year, but also month during which respects were paid to the dead. They both witnessed a large procession in Caer Yahlar, so they considered their "debts" to the dead paid for this year, and the obligatory holiday that was set on seventh day of the month was in the past already. Next month, Warmbreeze, was different - it was considered to be a beginning of new spring, new life, and thirty-three days. It only had one holiday - at the end of the month - but it was considered to be one of the most work-heavy months for the peasants.

The village was silent - people were already inside their houses, enjoying whatever meal they had, when they entered the village. They rode through the main street - which was the only "street", towards the town square - a ring, surrounded by the "better" houses. Someone must have noticed them - suddenly, they heard a female gasp, followed by sound of window shutters being slammed shut.

As they neared the ring, they noticed several men, who left the inn - two of them looked like locals. First was a tall, burly man with short, brush-like hair and wide chin, with cheeks like bulldog. He wore a simple, but well-made tunic, and long necklace with wooden symbol of coin - a symbol of reeve's office. The other was a woman - slender, not very tall, with dark, reddish hair, worn in ponytail. She wore green long tunic, with a broad dagger at her belt, and had the ageless look of mature woman. While the reeve looked at the newcomers with wide, unsure grin, she looked at them as if she challenged them to try something.

The other two men were apparently the owner of the black carriage and his bodyguard. The fat man with pig-like eyes and warts over his face wore several rings on his sausage-like fingers - and wore the same insignia on his clothes as the carriage did - insignia of king Osric. The other man was tall and strong, and stood there with the certainty of someone who can just call for more of his kind. He wore a surcoat with royal insignia, and carried a bared greatsword over his shoulder.

The woman and reeve wielded torches - it was getting dark fast - but as Elden and Fredrick approached, it was the fat man, who called on them, with deep, surprisingly firm voice.

"Who approaches? Keep your hands visible and tell us your names - for you stand in the presence of king's servants!"

Outside Oxley Manor

The manor looked different when the sun touched the sea - the firm, strong walls, interspersed with defensive towers turned into tall, jagged teeth. The Manor itself looked like a monster - waiting for them, bidings its time, watching them.

They felt as if something watched them in the darkness. At first they moved fast, their horses covered most of the distance - but then, as they approached the manor, the steep slope made them dismount, and lead their horses.

Finally, they stood below the manor. As they walked up the slope, they noticed the sun was setting faster than expected - winter's breath was still there and it shortened the days. If they decided to go to the village, or if Elden and Fredrick wanted to join them, they would have to use torches.

With horses bound safely to a tree, they moved towards the first group - the group outside. It was not hard to come close - the people did not seem to care to post guards. Their camp hosted around five full families - it looked like pilgrims, or refugees, but still - they were trespassing.

Elija and Neiman sneaked towards the main gate, trying to stay in the shadows - it was interesting to watch the ironclad Neiman to move slowly, methodically picking where he places his feet, staying away from the light of the fires - and Elija had the first seat to watch it. He himself was able to stay in shadows as they both moved into ideal position to watch the gate to he first defensive circle.

It was a surprise - the gate was open, but the portcullis was down. They had to get there some different way - but it gave Elija opportunity to assess the intruders. Vagrants - several individuals in ragged clothes sat around a large bonfire, trying to warm themselves. There was a pyramid of spears between the two tents. Elija counted four men. Neiman three.

And then they both noticed a shadow that separated from a wall, next to portocullis. Another one - a guard. But it seemed he did not notice them.

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-12, 05:48 PM
Fredrick pulled his horse to a stop not wanting to antagonize the blubbering fat man. Who knew who he had to eat in order to put on girth like that.
In all seriousness though he knew not to antagonize the people with money..., and swords. Never antagonize the people with swords and money. He called out "Hello I'm Fredrick I come in peace and am looking for a bed for the night.". He hoped that alone would quell the man's paranoia.

JamesT
2017-09-12, 09:20 PM
Elden approaches with no hint of threat in his motions. Even so, for a man of his size and stature, this is difficult.

My name is Elden Oxley, and I swear fealty to King Osric as well. I am the inheritor of the local manor, and I mean nothing but good intent for you and the people here.

Valmark
2017-09-13, 03:52 AM
I look at Neiman, eyeing the guard near us.
"They... are just refugees? Aside from the lost hype, I'd say to leave them be. Surely the boss would do the same... But. I'm interested in talking with the stationed guard" I whisper, turning back.
"Let's retrace our steps, I wouldn't want to alarm him or her because he sees two guys come out of a bush. Besides, you and your clingy armor are beautiful too watch when you move all silently... hehehe"

JeenLeen
2017-09-13, 08:08 AM
Neiman nods at his companion's opening words, emitting a quiet chuckle at the end.

He whispers, "Yeah. bandit families don't travel like this. Assuming they're not criminals, maybe Ox would like to take them on as staff. Talking to the guard sounds good."

He begins to retrace his steps.

Lacco
2017-09-13, 09:28 AM
11th of Spiritfeast (Quartus)
Village of Argellon

The sun completed its travels for the day, as it gently sunk into the sea - leaving only reddish strip of sky below the blanket of clouds. Night approached quickly.

At first, the fat man looked angered by Fredrick's informal greeting - but as soon as Elden spoke, he seemed rather pleased.

"Ah, finally! Lord Oxley, allow me to introduce my companion and myself. This is ser Orzalo of Mirnley Hall, who is here to serve as a witness. And I am Rachest Mallorian, a notary of King Osric, as well as your servant." Both of them bowed, but not too deep.
"I have been sent here to settle the will of your step-uncle. Please, follow me inside - I understand that you are tired, but I would like to leave this... " he left a word hanging in the air for a moment. "...charming village to get back to my office as soon as possible." he bowed again, stepping inside.

The reeve approached Oxley as soon as the notary disappeared. "My lord, welcome. I am Yvnvald the Brown, the reeve of Argellon. I am at your service whenever you need me. If you will, I would like to withdraw to my humble abode," he pointed at the largest stone house, rivaling the inn with its size, "but anytime you need me, call on me or send one of your servants." With the last words, he nodded towards Fredrick, eyeing his clothes and his weapon.

The woman remained silent, but watched Oxley and Fredrick with curiosity in her eyes. Ser Orzalo just stood there, one hand on the hilt of his sword, seemingly nervous.

If you do not address Yvnvald the Reeve, he will leave as soon as possible.

Outside Oxley Manor

They retraced their steps, towards the horses, and mounting them, rode slowly towards the tents outside the manor walls. It was almost dark now.

As soon as they were noticed - which was around twenty yards from first tent - there was a loud shout coming from one of the men. Women started to drag kids inside tents, and men took up cudgels.

One of the men - a thin, older man, who seemed to command utmost respect from the other people, walked towards Neiman and Elija, gesturing to the armed men who promptly lowered their improvised weapons.

"Good evening." His voice was raspy, but still strong. "I am elder Zenjha of Tarnwald. May I know your names and reason why you approach our camp?" He seems to study your faces - as far as possible. "If you are here for peace, be welcome. We have porridge and our custom is to share with fellow travelers."

The men behind him stir a little, but stay where they are.

Valmark
2017-09-13, 09:52 AM
I look at him smiling "We are here indeed for peace. I am Elija Elston, one of the friends and attendants of the new manor lord.
I've got to say... I've heard many stories of this place, so when I saw lights I was extremely curious and came checking. Thought I expected ghosts and goblins and trolls and vamp- erhm" I chuckle, putting a hand on my own mouth.
"Are you... refugees? Did something happen?" I've yet to get down from my horse.

Body language to try to understand if he's lieing, or if they mean ill intent [roll0]
...unless it's wit? [roll1]

Lacco
2017-09-13, 10:21 AM
The men visibly relax, when you mention peace - but the elder seems more tense than before. And when Elija mentions the stories... the crowd tightens grip on their weapons, and starts to look around, turning slowly towards the manor.

"Welcome, Elija Elston." he tries to look calm, but his hands and his eyes betray his nervousness. "We are happy to welcome a friend of new lord of this manor. We are refugees - we left our land, because we were..." he swallows his next word. Elija notices he tries to find better words - but he is sure that the man does not lie, he just does not want to state the true reason of their exile. "...we wanted to find better living. We are willing to swear fealty to your lord, if he will take us under his protection, and we will be as loyal to him, as he is to his people." He now smiles - and it's a sincere smile. The man really hopes Elden shall bring their families prosperity or safety - or whatever he needs. "But we are violating the custom of hospitality! Please, join us in simple dinner - we will be happy to share what we have with you and your companion."

At that moment, Elija looked around. The men, ashamed by the words of their elder, were slowly putting away their makeshift weapons, and women left the tents, starting to prepare the food. Only children remained unseen. And the elder beckoned them to follow him to the largest fire.

In the meantime, Neiman noticed the guard has left his station... most probably to report on their presence.

Valmark
2017-09-13, 10:41 AM
I smile to them, getting off from my horse.
"I think I'll trust you. Don't worry about the boss, he'd prefer to break his own leg then to hurt in any way his people. Oh, don't worry, I call him boss just to poke fun at him, he doesn't want that" I take out my sword still sheated and tie it to the horse, to make them understand that I really don't mean harm -thought I still have my throwing knives hidden away- "he's probably waiting at the inn in the village for us, but I guess he can wait right Neiman? Besides, I REALLY REALLY want to get in the manor. Did any of you take a peek inside?" I say, looking at the building with dreamy eyes.

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-13, 07:46 PM
Fredrick gets off his horse and grabs its reigns. Addressing Yvnvald he asks "When we were coming into to town their were lights in the manor any idea what that's about." Fredrick glanced around around for some place to temporarily tie up his horse in case they would be leaving after the legal paperwork. Looking behind Yvnvald at the woman He says "and I don't think we have be properly introduced Ms...." He leaves the sentence unfinished hoping she would provide her name.

Do I need to make any rolls?

JamesT
2017-09-13, 08:46 PM
Elden takes note of his new acquaintances, especially the anxious man with his hand on his sword.

He nods to the Reeve.

Thank you. I will remember that. But I have no servants here - I am here to serve.

He then heads inside to find the notary, etc and his promised meal.

I do appreciate the hospitality. I understand your desire to head back, but please - let me buy a round of drinks. We can discuss business and enjoy some good company.

Lacco
2017-09-14, 05:28 AM
11th of Spiritfeast 943 (Quartus)
Village of Argellon
Four Winds Inn

Ser Orzalo looks surprised, looking at Oxley with disbelief. Yvnvald hesitated for a moment, looking very surprised at notion of lord serving himself, but then bowed his head and stepped back.

"Apologies, my lord, but there is urgent business I need to take care of - I assume that you will want to see the accounting and village census and for this I need to collect the paperwork." he is red in his face, and it is obvious that he is uncomfortable. "It will be my greatest pleasure to have a drink with you tomorrow, once we settle the papers out of way, if you allow me."

He looks up, waiting for you to give him permission to leave or order him to stay. In the meantime, he addresses Fredrick.

"Well, there are some refugees from Tarnwald. I think baron Krammerwald rules there." He looks... a little disgusted, or resentful. "They are not... bad people. I talked with their elder and he was very pleasant, but he insisted that they talk to the owner of the manor before leaving. Unfortunately, most of our militia left when the old lord die... apologies, my lord. My condolences to your loss. Still - some of the men stayed in the manor. Four of them, to be precise, but ser Orzalo here tells me there's six of them."

Ser Orzalo moved forward. "Yes. According to the law, we locked the manor, and evicted everybody except the old steward. These men told us they were "militia" and they want to guard the place. I think they are looters and I wanted to evict them forcefully, but the reeve asked us not to. For some reason." He shot a look full of suspicion towards the reeve and stepped into the inn.

The lady just watched the exchange with half-worried and half-amused look and when Fredrick addressed her, she did a small bow and responded. Her voice was melodic, but cool. "I am Brynn Tricrest. Please, address me as missis Tricrest, after my late husband, and I agree - our introduction was less then proper." she blushes, but quickly recovers. "Apologies, ser. I am - sometimes - too straightforward. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to retire. Tomorrow's work never cares for tonight's entertainment. Good night." she bowed again.

The inn was a stone building, two stories tall and well-kept. The main room covered most of the lower floor. It was well-lit, with rushlights at most tables and large central fireplace, that provided enough warmth for them to revive after the cold outside. Spring was coming, but nights were still cold.

The tables were arranged in irregular pattern and two of them were occupied - five men, all clad in surcoats with the same insignia as Orzalo, sat there, three of them playing some kind of dice game, one reading a scroll and one plucking at a lute, just enjoying the melancholic tones, forming only a formless melody.

The men played "Fool's War" - a game of chance with six dice. Each round, everybody puts a small amount (usually in bits or coppers) of money into pot - player who invests the most picks an opponent. The two players "wage war" - they roll two dice (called "army"), but hide the result from their opponents. They can then bet on their success (and the opponent may accept the bet - betting the same amount - or refuse; concessions may be made), and onlookers can bet too (but without looking at dice). Bets are placed on the table, against each other, as if they were formations on battle plan. Once betting is done, the warring players take the third die (called "lady luck" or worse...), roll it and show the results. The army with higher count wins whole pot, splitting it between onlookers and the player.

Rule-wise:
There is skill involved - mainly observing the people and provoking them to give answers. SOC/Sincerity roll may be performed each "round" to add dice to Gambling roll.
Each round takes around half hour. You decide how many rounds you are willing to go for (after that, you have to roll due to Gambler flaw to get up and leave).
Due to how the game starts, you have to choose - for each round - if you want to "wage war" (starting pot will be 1d6 coppers) or leave it to random (starting pot of 2d4 bits).
Then you have to decide if you want to go for large bets (higher payoff - 1d4 coppers per net success) or small bets (smaller payoff - 1d4 bits per net success).
Then you roll Wit/Gambling against Wit(4)/TN7.
Every time you win, there is a chance the game will stop due to players running out of money. This chance is rolling 2+ on 1d10 with large bets adding +1 to TN per your win, -1 per your loss and small bets adding +1 to TN only if you have 3+ net successes.
Cheating is possible (turning the dice better side up) if you succeed in AGI/Pickpocket roll at -2 dice modifier.

Or you can try to persuade them to try different game.

The innkeeper, a muscular man in apron and tunic, with large, tattooed arms, bowed, when Elden entered and watched him pick a place to sit, and then approached him, awaiting his requests silently. The notary also did seat himself near the new manor lord, bringing with himself a scroll-case, a small leather pouch and signaling to his men, who brought a large chest.

"Shall we start with reading the will? Or would you prefer me just to sum it up?"

Elden - the reeve seems to really want to leave, although you sense he won't be so rude to refuse second offer.

Refugee Camp
Outside Oxley Manor

The elder shook his head. "No, Elija Elston. We respect the word of law and would never enter home that belongs to someone else uninvited." Two older women brought the pot of porridge into the center of the camp, and started pouring it into small wooden bowls. Elija looked around, and noticed that there were no younger girls - the youngest he saw was a woman of 30-35, who just entered one of the tents, carrying few bowls of food.

The men were mostly dark-haired, wiry, with large noses and powerful jaws. Women were silent, with dark eyes and olive skin. One of them stood in front of him, with a bowl, offering him the porridge with sad smile. It looked a bit thin, with only two or three pieces of potatoes.

Valmark
2017-09-14, 06:46 AM
I looked around, taking the offered plate.
"I must thank you for the dinner... thought this place is far too much silent" I said, eating fast.
After little time, he stood up, faking anger.
"I'm NOT going to eat with sad people if I can avoid it!" said that, I made sure to have enough space around me, while I recall a song to sing that'a actually funny.

This is the tale o' Beowon the Lightfingered,
In our hearts his memory lingers,
He raced for a ruby with one dozen sprinters,
Then crossed a bridge a one hundredth winner,
And boxed out an ogre using with just his forefinger.

As I sing, I clap to keep the rythm, dancing a little on the place. Not too much, it's a bit hard to sing and dance.

Long live Beowon the Lightfingered,
Who had a smell that really lingers,
He climbed a tree and got one dozen splinters,
Then braved a harem of one hundred swingers,
But to the guards stinky Beowen was fingered.
He was? Yes he was, yes he was!

This is the tale o' Beowon the Lightfingered,
In our hearts his memory lingers,
He slew an eye tyrant with one dozen blinkers,
Then stole its treasure worth one hundred figures,
And married a duchess wise in her winters.

Long live Beowon the Lightfingered,
Who was daft as an ox or maybe a springer,
He down a well to find his wish-singer,
Then married a troglodyte who bore one hundred stinkers,
But they argued and Beowon he became a drinker.
He did? Yes he did, yes he did!

I keep clapping and singing a bit, quietly lowering my voice to end, while checking the humor of the crowd.

Dancing with AGI I presume [roll0]

Singing with... SOC? [roll1]

Both are TN 7

Geez. If those rolls are right I probably did the opposite, sing a little and dance a lot

JeenLeen
2017-09-14, 01:08 PM
Neiman gives a sincere smile at their hospitality and kind words, and looks of condolences at hearing they are indeed refugees. Following Elijah's lead, he ties his sword to the horse, as well as his helmet and shield. Feeling a bit chafed, he regrets letting his superstition make him wear the chain mail into town.

"Yes, thank you for your kind food. As my friend said, my name is Neiman, Neiman Rochester."

He starts engaging some of the men present with small talk, hoping to build rapport as Elijah's song lifts spirits, eventually saying, "I was a farmer before coming here with Lord Ox, and I hope to tend the lands and grow some good produce and tend some healthy livestock. Do any of you have experience with that line of work, before traveling here? I could use a good man or woman to help lead the efforts, though I'm sure the new lord would reward any service with a room, food, and coin."

Just to make sure, rolling Sincerity to try to make sure they are honest. I'm just paranoid from games where the first friendly folk poison us. :smallbiggrin:
Guessing Perception (4 dice) @ 6
[roll0]

Also, if it matters (and as a trial for using SA)--rolling Leadership to try to inspire, through his simple offer of work and sincere and invested interest, the folk to work with him in this endeavor
If it's not applicable, it's just practice and please disregard the roll.
Social 4 dice + 2 Drive (make the manor thrive) = 6 dice
[roll1] @ 6

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-14, 08:36 PM
Fredrick as soon as he hears the siren call of the dice instinctively starts watching the game. The Game Fool's War was an interesting dice game he had only played it a few times but he was still confident that he could walk away with a few more coppers. But his business with Eldan's will and him needing to also look at it loomed in his mind. Could he win before the will reading was done, he wondered. He watched as the men pulled out copper coins and bits throwing them into a pile to start a fresh round.

Fredrick is going to try and resist the temptation to gamble immediately however with his flaw it's going to be difficult. If he can't resist he believes he can get a quick game in and will attempt to join the other players for 2 rounds.
So it's Will/TN8
[roll0]
Tell me if I've got this all wrong.

Lacco
2017-09-16, 01:07 PM
Village of Argellon
Four Winds Inn

While the notary waited for Elden's answer, it was obvious that Fredrick is almost magically pulled towards the table with dice. When he looked towards the table, one of the men noticed his interest and gestured for him to join them and then started to explain the rules to the other two. It looked like it was their second game...

The innkeeper decided to break the silence and coughed. "Ahem. Pa-ardon me, ge-gentlemen. Wo-would you l-like to... have a dinner? O-or some ale?"

...for Fredrick, nothing more was necessary. He knew he could sweep their money and be back in few minutes. More for the manor - and he would certainly pay the taxes later...

As I stated in the OOC - it's on. Your roll was a fumble, so you'll definitely join them. It's however a question if you decide to tear away after 2 rounds with a penalty (and penalty during the game to watch the time) or if you just lose yourself into the game until you are thrown out/win everything/inn closes.

Also, waiting for JamesT to state his will regarding the reading.

Refugee Camp
Outside Oxley Manor

The porridge was bland, but filling, Elija noticed, that he got even the best - scrapes from the bottom. The man next to him had only the watery part.

When he begun his performance with the fake anger, the men around him did tense up, but as soon as he sang, their faces melted into smiles.

Elija knew, that his singing performance was not at his best - the long ride in cold, winter air did some damage - as he almost ran out of breath when he sang the last stanza. At least his moves were almost perfect - and to his great delight, the audience was more than pleased. The people applauded, and asked for more. The lady even got him another bowl of porridge, and this time with some bacon in.

In the meantime, Neiman's words seemed to fall on fertile ground, as the men around him started to nod. Most of them raised their hands when he asked if they worked land or livestock - and he was sure they did not lie - their hands showed signs of hard work, as did his own.

When he finished his speech, he could hear the murmur of voices, mostly discussing the "room, food and coin" - the offer seemed to entice them. He looked carefully around, to see if there were any people who did not become interested and he noticed two things. Two tents had their folds open - at one of them sat a thin man, in something that looked like priestly robes, who watched him and Elija. In the other one he saw a head of young, rather striking girl - but it was just for a moment. As soon as she saw him looking at her, she disappeared in the tent again.

The elder sat opposite to Elija and Neiman after the musical performance finished. "You are a man of great talent and your friend speaks very nice about your lord. Do you think you could put up a good word with Lord Ox for us? We would appreciate some place to stay and piece of land. We'll work hard and pay on time, if he helps us settle down - we've lost much of our property on our way here, so if he will agree that we pay only two thirds of our obligations this year, we will repay him next year with one additional half. Do you think he would accept this? That he would accept...us?"

They both noticed the sudden silence and tension.

@Valmark: +1 drama for the song :smallsmile:. I assume it's your work...?

@JeenLeen:

Valmark
2017-09-16, 03:07 PM
I settled down, thanking the woman for the additional good, trying to catch my breath.
"Oof, that wasn't exactly my best performance, but not bad too, right Neiman? I tell him, while the elder sits in front of us.
I hear his request, musing.
"We'll surely put in a word for you! Hell, knowing him he could even be gentle enough to make you pay less this year and normal the next!
Thought... I have a question.
Mind you, you're free to decline, I don't care enough and I don't want to make you relive anything painful, and the good word with the boss will be put anyway- the question is. What didn't you say regarding your exile? I think there's something else"

I wish it was mine, sadly I tried to come up with something but:

1) it didn't translate well in English
2) I thought it was ridicule and was embarassed go put it

Also, nice drama! Thought wouldn't it be more suites to Faith? Not that I mind, I prefer drama.

Anyway, rolling persuasion in the OOC! Not sure if I've got any bonus, so I'll roll normal and you decide

JeenLeen
2017-09-16, 11:01 PM
Neiman smiles sincerely and openly at seeing the show of hands. he tries not to let his eyes linger on the girl, hoping he didn't give her any offense, and he notes the priest (at least, he thinks it was a priest) as someone to talk to later. Was it religious reasons that led to their exile?

He gives a friendly smile and a playful jab to the shoulder at Elijah's question, regarding his performance. "I'm sure you'll do better after a good night's sleep. Perhaps tomorrow, after we search our new home, we'll celebrate again with these people."
---
As the elder speaks and Elijah replies, he nods along. After Elijah's part, he adds, with a soft smile, "My traveling companion's depiction of Lord Ox is accurate. And, yes, we'd certainly put in a good word.

I admit that I too would like to hear the reason you had to travel here. Our lord is a kind and welcoming person, and I gather he would accept most people treated unfairly. But as we are new to these parts, we'd like to know if whatever trouble led you here might follow--though mainly just to be prepared for it. Like I said, Ox is a kind person. Before we headed here, he was talking about how he plans to serve and defend the people. Knowing him, he would certainly count you amongst that number."

I think your comment towards me got cut off in your OOC box.

JamesT
2017-09-17, 08:28 AM
Elden first addresses Orzalo:

I appreciate your condolences and your candor. My uncle and I were not close - from what I can tell, he was a cruel man, with interests very different from my own. A drink tomorrow would be nice - you may take your leave for now. Thanks again.

He then turns to the reeve, a bit perplexed:

Can you tell me more of this steward who resides in the manor? And this "militia" that resides outside? Are they indeed looters or is there more to this situation than Orzalo understands? We can discuss this inside if you would like.

Assuming the reeve follows, Elden was heading inside anyway. He addresses the innkeeper, offering his hand.

Thank you for your hospitality - the formality of bowing is not necessary, though! I am Elden Oxley, and my friends call me "Ox". While my friends and I go about our business, I'd like to buy a round for everyone in the tavern.

Finally turning to the notary, Elden smiled.

Yes, the will. You may summarize if you please, but I will read it over anyway. If you'd like an immediate signature, I'm afraid I'd have to ask for a full reading immediately. Thank you.

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-17, 04:01 PM
Fredick smiles and takes a seat with the other men. He decided first to watch the others learn a bit more about them and see if he could possibly get some info about the goings on around the area. He takes a few bits and adds them to the pot. He tries to strike up a bit of a conversation " Thanks for the game, it's been awhile since I've had a chance to play. Do you guys work with the guy that owns the coach?"

Bits bet [roll0]
SOC/Sincerity for bonus dice :[roll1]
Wit/Gambling for actual gambling any bonus dice I leave to you. Also my wit is 5 and my gambler skill pack is a six.
[roll2]

Lacco
2017-09-18, 03:36 PM
Village of Argellon
Four Winds Inn

The reeve left quickly, with a quick bow. Orzalo watched him with disgust, and started answering the questions without first looking at Elden. "The steward? Just an old man and his granddaughter. That one..." he pointed at the back of the reeve, who just disappeared behind his door. "...told us the old man did indeed work for your step-uncle. He looked harmless, and I did not want to throw him out, especially when he takes care of the girl." He looked at Fredrick. "The militia... from what I was told, they are remnants of your step-uncle's guards. Most of them left before he died, or when he died. These men have no training or discipline, however. I assume they are former bandits, hired as cheap guards. But they won't loot anything. The manor is built like fortress."

Admiration crept into his voice as he watched the silhouette of the manor against the dark sky.

"In a way, I envy you. It's a great manor... but I don't envy the responsibility for the people."

He looked back at Elden. "There is not much to be said. I am tired - we may talk tomorrow. Good night."

FYI: The reeve left.
Ser Orzalo is the guard of the notary.

The innkeeper looked surprised at Elden's introduction - his mouth wide open, he looked at his new lord with eyes filled with wonder.

"T-thank you, m'lo...Ox... I will imm-immediately... g-get you the beer."

He disappeared behind the bar and Elden could hear him talking to someone.

The notary was also surprised at Elden's informality, but then slowly opened a scroll case. He rolled the will open, and started to read.

"Ahem. I, baron Radwick Oxley, by the grace of King Osric the Magnanimous - may he be blessed by all gods to give him long and prosperous life so he may continue his rightful rule over this country - lord of the Oxley manor, in full health and sane but with a knowledge that my days are numbered, hereby declare my last will before I perish from this world. Knowing that Death awaits me, I have decided to arrange my possessions for time after my death followingly:

Firstly, I ask that my body is buried in my personal tomb, below the Oxley manor, where all my ancestors rest.

Secondly, I ask that good king Osric in his wisdom, accepts my appointed heir. I have decided that there is only one man that deserves the dubious honor. Let it be known, that it is my wish that my title, with all its privileges and duties, boons and burdens, as well as all honor and debts I have accumulated in this life, pass on to Elden Oxley. If the good king Osric shall permit, I request that this man is considered to be my direct heir even though we are not bound by blood, but he is bound by honor.

Thirdly, I ask that he is given the following:

A keyring that was placed into my steward's care. It contains three major keys, that will open most doors in the manor, bearing my personal mark - Elden shall recognize it. Twelve keys, four for each circle, to open the door to the manor, which bear the insignia of my house. Three keys to the armoury, marked with two crossed swords. Key to my treasury, marked with coin, key to my study, as well as key to the prison. Lastly, it contains a small silver key, inlaid with black moonstone - I ask that Elden carries him on his person at all times. When the time is right, and the stars align, when the knight becomes lord and the waiting bears fruit, it will show its purpose. Such is my wish.

A letter, sealed by my own seal. The letter should be placed within this will. If it is open, or lost, I have provided another letter to a person I trust, which will hand it to Elden, provided he gains their trust.

The Wrathmaker. My grand-grandfather's personal weapon. This ancient blade has been passed on through generations, and it is the second best sword I have ever owned in my whole life. I have promised that this sword will not leave its place above the main fireplace unless it is necessary to wield it in protecting of our lands and people, and I know that Elden will fulfill this promise likewise.

My personal treasure chest. It will contain most of my wealth in gold - over 150 pieces of gold, as well as host of silver. There shall be also a letter, acknowledging my debt to certain graf Wiyzigr of Tyr-Aenor, who shall come to collect his debt of 100 gold sovereigns and his interest of 50 gold sovereigns some time after Crimsoning of year 945. The graf is to be treated with utmost respect and as a friend of my house. He deserves it - he was the only one who helped when the others turned their backs on me.

Signed...

...that is all, my lord."

Behind them, the game of Fool's war was in full swing. Fredrick was winning - and was winning hard. Even though he bet only careful, small amounts, the men almost threw their money at him - and after first round, he already had large tower of bits in front of him.

The game was stopped only for one moment. The men left to collect the treasure chest - and brought it to Elden. After the will-reading was finished, on table lay a keyring, a letter and two tankards of beer. A treasure chest stood next to Elden's leg.

The men quickly returned to the game, one of them answering Fredrick's question. "Yea, we are ser Orzalo's personal guard." He chuckled. "We serve him, he serves the king. We get paid. Damn! My money! Well played, you rascal. Beginners luck, eh? Let's see how you fare this time..."

Gambling payoff round 1: 7 bits + [roll0] bits
Players running out of money [roll1] TN 6

They are still game.
Round 2... :smallwink:

Refugee Camp
Outside Oxley Manor

The people seemed to be rather excited about possibility of another night spent with Elija's songs - and even more when they both confirmed that they would put a good word with "Lord Ox".

And then, suddenly, the good mood disappeared. The men around the fire were somber, almost ashamed. They looked at each other - but avoided Elija and Neiman's eyes.

Then, the elder spoke.

"We do not like to talk about it. But you seem to be... sincere. But please, let this stay between us."

He sighed, and slowly continued. "We were... not treated well. By our former lord. And... we are hard-working, but in exchange for our hard work we expect good life for our children, protection and even some comfort for our work. All we got was bandits who robbed us openly, knights who robbed us promising to protect us from everyone else, and then taxes. We worked hard and we have seen nothing as result - nothing until we did hide it. It was not a good life. When we asked our lord to give us chance to live somewhere else... he was not happy. And he did all he could to... discourage us from leaving. We left anyways - even one of his scribes did join us. It seemed that he was also not happy there."

He looked at Neiman and Elija. "Please, do not tell anyone about it. We put this behind us and we just want to find a good place to live."

Valmark
2017-09-18, 04:14 PM
I listen to the story, musing.
"I understand. Don't worry, we won't say anything about them. Even because... oppressive guards? Heavy taxes on those with less money? I know something of that too, thought I was partially at fault... when you live on the streets you tend to forcibly pick up some skills of... dubious nature" I say, nervously scratching my hair.
"Let's do something for this sour mood, nay?" then, I stand up and search for a few rocks, later looking at everyone.
"After all, I DID work as an street artist for a good part of my life"
I say, looking at them, as I start to make rocks pass through my hands and in mid-air.
"Coooome on everyone, look at the Marvelous Elija, Dancer of the Seven Suns, He who plays with Fate! Oh, and kids, don't try this!" I say, whirling and juggling the rocks from behind my back "Unless you want to scare your mothers a bit!"

So... if I got it right...

Roll for Search/PER to find suitable rocks: [roll0] - 1 success

Roll for Juggling/AGI [roll1] - 4 successes

Roll for Dancing/AGI [roll2] - 3 successes

I don't know, considering the difficult to dancing and singing, I'd say singing dancing and juggling is a bit to much...

In case that new point of Faith applies: [roll3]

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-18, 10:57 PM
Fredrick gives the men a small smirk. Fredrick knew beginners luck had nothing to do with it. He looked over at the Eldan he looked like he was taking the responsibilities he had been given very well. The money they were left with however was...troubling. One hundred and fifty gold sovereigns and they couldn't spend a drop of it. Who ever this Wiyzigr (gods what a strange name) he had certainly created a sizable debt they needed to pay. He decided he continue the conversation with the men. "So have you ever heard of this Wiyzigr of Tyr-Aenor? He sound like he did a lot for the old lord."Fredrick decided that he would play a little more aggressive this turn. and threw some copper pieces ready to wage war.

Copper coin for bet:[roll0]
SOC/Sincerity for bonus dice :[roll1]
Wit/Gambling:[roll2]

JeenLeen
2017-09-19, 07:53 AM
Neiman's face moves from kind listening to anger as the man describes his people's treatment. His expression softens as he speaks, though it is obviously some struggle.

"That you were so mistreated is... I'm sorry to hear that. I can affirm you will not find such treatment under Lord Ox. If bandits attack, my sword will be among those defending you.
I do think we are obligated to tell Ox about what happened, but trust me that knowing this will only increase his kindness towards you. And it will let him know what to think of one of his nearby neighbors."

At Elijah's lightening of the mood, Neiman gets an idea of his own.
"Unless your faith forbids it, would you like to share a bottle or two to aid in lightening the mood?"
He steps over to his saddlebags and takes out three bottles of liquor. It's cheap whiskey, but good for an evening's drink. He holds it up in offering to the group, a broad smile on his face.

JamesT
2017-09-19, 08:15 PM
Elden first replies to Orzalo:

I thank you once again for your candor. The reeve... let's just say that I do not like to speak disparaging words nor have such thoughts about people, so I will remain silent on him. I'll have to speak with this militia... if they are to stay, they will need to understand that things will be quite different now. I would love to speak with you more tomorrow, and have that drink! But for now, you have my thanks and I wish you good night.

Elden tries to take some notes based on everything the notary has conveyed. He collects what has been given him, squirreling them away deep in his pockets. He measure the chest to see how easily he can get it to the manor, and looks for his friend, eagerly waiting for him to leave soon as he realizes he has much to do.

Thank you for the reading. I appreciate you meeting me tonight and taking care of this business. If there is nothing else, I will let you take your leave - I am sure you are eager to get home. If not, I am sure we can find a comfortable place here for you to spend the night.

That's a lot to remember! Any chance you can start a "critical posts" thread and store these types of posts there?

Lacco
2017-09-20, 12:33 AM
Village of Argellon
Four Winds Inn

The game slowly rolled towards its finale. Bets were placed, and both Fredrick and his opponent rolled dice.

"Wiyzigr?" asked one of the onlookers - the one who already ran out of money while betting. "Never 'eard of him. But the name sounds like nothin' I ever 'eard. Tyr-aenor, though is few hundred miles to south-east. Wilderness."

Fredrick's roll showed 6 and 5 - and he took the care to look rather disheartened. His opponent saw it - and started placing bets. Carefully, looking almost frightened, Fredrick opposed every bet with the same amount, taking time to seem reluctant. He looked up, at the faces of the onlookers and his opponent - everybody was smiling, as if they knew he had low numbers. He allowed himself a nervous smile.

Third roll...

...and his opponent rolled a 6.

"Ohhohohoho!" "Look at that!"

Fredrick rolled a 3. The response was even better - boisterous, happy. And then he showed his hand and everything went silent.

He had a total of 14.
His opponent had a total of 13.

He expected all hell to break loose, but the men only laughed. "Well played, ser, well played!".

He counted his coins... and he won 11 coppers this round. As he stood up, one of the players tapped him on his shoulder - friendly. "Thank you for the game, ser. You play rather well - if we ever meet, I'll ask for a rematch." said the one with large beard and scar under his eye. "My name is Prawen. And I'll hope we meet again, but it's time also for us to retire. I've lost more money than I wanted and my friends lost even more. Goodbye."

At the other table, the notary yawned.

"Thank you, I think I'll stay. I hate sleeping in coach, so I'll remain in this inn for this night and continue tomorrow. There are however some other things I need to give you..."

He reached into the scroll case and handed him several other scrolls - most of them just rolled together, but one looking rather ornate, which bore king's personal seal.

"King Osric has decided to honor your step-uncle's will, and therefore I present you with your deeds for the lands, as well as the patent of nobility. Also, he asked me to invite you in his name into the next court, which will occur first week of Springfeast - your presence will be expected as King Osric would like to meet you in person and officially raise you to the state of baron. The invitation is here."

He handed you a small scroll.

"Oh, and... I apologize for bringing this up, but your step-uncle owes the crown a significant amount of money for taxes. I know it's crass to speak about it, but... the king asked me to tell you, that he expects them to be paid. However, in his wisdom, he has decided to give you an additional year to repay this debt. He shall expect a payment of 50 golden sovereigns until the end of 10th month - Leaffall - of next year."

He stood up.

"I will now take my leave, my lord. Have a good night... and welcome to your estate."

He left quickly, leaving Elden, Fredrick and the innkeeper in the room.

That's a great idea - feel free to start the list - I'll link it to the first post in OOC.

Refugee Camp
Outside Oxley Manor

The men around the fire were nodding when Neiman spoke. The murmur consisted mostly of them praising their willingness to help them, but some of it was aimed at the elder. He listened for a while, and then he sighed deeply and nodded.

"Very well. You may tell what you heard to your lord. Hopefully, our airiness will not come back to haunt us."

And then, elder's eyes widened with pleasure when he saw the bottles, and the men almost applauded - the bottles went from one hand to another, and it was obvious that their faith had nothing against a drink or two. Then, when Elija's performance started, the men actually applauded. And not only men.

While juggling, Elija saw several kids, poking their heads out of the tents, watching him and laughing, but then a large man, built like a bull, even with similar facial expression, brought him a cup with Neiman's whiskey and when he looked again, the kids were gone.

Looking around, he saw that most of the men were talking, having fun, while Neiman seemed to be in discussion with the elder. While there were some men who paid attention to him, most of it was lost when he stopped dancing and juggling.

On the opposite side of the fire, Neiman listened to the elder. "Your friend seems like a man of many talents. Does Lord Ox employ more that are like him?"

@Valmark: This is Elija's moment to disappear.

Valmark
2017-09-20, 04:48 AM
I look around, smiling mischievously.
I mean, no one expected him to stay put when a creepy manor was just a few feet away, right?
Slinking back among the shadows and behind the tents, he made his way for the building.

I'm not sure, do I need to make a sneak roll?

If yes: [roll0]

JeenLeen
2017-09-20, 07:42 AM
Neiman laughs in enjoyment at the festivities, enjoying the time for a relaxing drink. A nice contrast to a few sips before bed or guard duty, what was safe to manage on the road. To the elder's question, he says, "Another person came with us, and there was one more traveling companion who was running late. I don't know all of them as well as Lord Ox, but, yeah, you can say they have diverse gifts. Maybe not all as entertaining as Elijah, but they're good folk."

Did it seem like the really strong guy was scaring the kids? I'm not sure if I misread the paragraph or what, but I had some troubling parsing that.

Lacco
2017-09-20, 01:06 PM
Refugee Camp
Outside Oxley Manor

The debate around the campfire turned around, from festivities to almost daydreaming - talking about the land, what will be planted if they get the land, how many would they like. Even the elder, who tried to start a polite conversation, let himself go. Soon, they talked about the individual advantages of planting flax over barley, and prices of cattle.

Neiman finally had few moments of solitude - and the bottle finally arrived back to him. It was two thirds empty. He looked around and noticed several things.

The entrance to the tent, where he noticed the girl, was now "guarded" - by a large matron, who sat there, sewing some clothes in the light of fire.

Elija disappeared. Not just from around the campfire - his horse was still there, but he was nowhere to be seen.

The scribe - if it was him - showed up. He noticed Neiman looking at him, smiled and nodded. It seemed like he was asking if he could take a seat next to Neiman...

Nope. It was just a matter of him looking towards the tent, the bull-like man standing in front of him for a moment and then leaving - in the meantime, the lady pushed the kids to the tent.

Remember, it's dark outside :smallwink:

Damn, keep it up and I'll think I'm too "soft" GM :smalleek:

Outside the Manor

Elija was at first excited - finding a secret entrance, or even climbing over the walls, discovering... it sounded wonderful in his head. To ensure that he was not noticed by the guards, he walked carefully, slowly, crouching.

Once out of sight of the camp, he straightened up and only tried to walk silently.

And then he found out why Elden talked about the manor as "well-defensible".

The walls were almost unscaleable - not without proper equipment. The windows - and arrow slits - were too narrow on the inside. He could easily get stuck. Even the whole cliff became an issue once he got near the walls.

And then he stepped on a branch, cracking it. As he did, he heard a gasp nearby - someone was near!

In his excitement he made another step...and this time, sent a long stream of small rocks down the hillside. Whoever was there knew now about Elija for sure...

Fumble!

Valmark
2017-09-20, 01:27 PM
I swirl around, looking at the direction of the gasp.
"Anyone there? Come on, I'm a nice guy and I don't mean harm" I say, nearing slowly, my hands rised.

Peeeeersuasion! [roll0]

Invoking the easy going. I am trying to make whoever it is feel comfortable. Otherwise scratch a dice.

In case it's a female there's beauty of legends too [roll1]

Lacco
2017-09-20, 01:49 PM
Outside Oxley Manor

The person ran.

Elija caught sight of a silhouette - thin, covered by cloak - that ran down the hill.

They must have known the area - because they did not need to slow down due to the darkness...

Valmark
2017-09-20, 02:02 PM
"HEY! I'M ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS! I'M WITH THE NEW MANOR LORD!! I screamt after the figure, whom apparently didn't care enough.
"Whatever, she's not a building" I said, looking down the hillside. Not getting down here, I thought, restarting to search for an entrance.

Lacco
2017-09-20, 02:10 PM
The sound of running stopped.

"New manor lord...?"

It was a woman's voice. Or girl's. She stayed hidden.

"I don't trust you. You're one of them looters."

Valmark
2017-09-20, 02:18 PM
I look at the direction of the voice. I rised my eyes to the sky.
"Believe me, I'm no looter. I don't know if you're familiar with the group of refugees down the hill, but I come from there. You can go and ask" I reply, assuming she is from there.
"Or, you can let me turn on a lantern since darkness is not exactly the best thing in an area like this, drop my weapons so that you don't need to worry, let me crack a joke or two regarding your beautiness and my being somewhat scared by this whole situation and talk with me! I've even got a nice animal to play with!" I say, tweeting to call my trained crow, which lands on my shoulder.

Let's retry [roll0]

If she let's me turn on the light Beauty [roll1]

JeenLeen
2017-09-20, 02:32 PM
Neiman waves the scribe over, taking a sip from the bottle as he does so. He's a tad nervous not seeing Elijah, but maybe the guy is off doing a juggling match or something.

When the man arrives, he asks, "So, I hear you were a scribe for that jerk and left with these kind fellows, eh? I'm sure Lord Ox could use your skills. But what did you want to talk about?"
He hands over the bottle.

Lacco
2017-09-20, 02:42 PM
Outside Oxley Manor

It's obvious she listens - and he hears her soft breathing. She's not far. When he mentions light, she interrupts him.

"No. No light. They sometimes climb onto the battlement to look down. They must not see me. "

As he continues, she seems to loosen up, and he even hears a chuckle when he confesses to be scared.

And when he summons his raven...

...a scream of fear and surprise escapes her lips. Loud.

"Ah... sorry for that... is that a raven???"

Refugee Camp

The man cringes when Neiman calls his previous master a jerk. "Oh, dear... well, yes. I left for a better life." He smirks. "But this is not better. I'm cold, hungry... but I can be of use to your lord, I can. Just let me work for him, and you'll see me skilled. And I didn't want to talk about anything, just ask about you, ser. What is your lord like...?"

And then Neiman hears a scream. High-pitched and short, woman's scream. Comes from the western side of the outer manor walls. Good news is - it's not Elija's voice...

Valmark
2017-09-20, 02:49 PM
"Yeah, that's a raven. And that was a rather loud scream. Could we... you know... move somewhere else? Just walk, I'll follow the sounds, no need to reveal yourself. This way whoever you're scared of won't find us" I say, petting the raven.
"Anyway, I'm Elija, master entertainer, skilled swordsman... with no sword, too bad. Also, I'm beautiful, too bad you can't see me.
Your name, shadow voice?"

Lacco
2017-09-20, 03:24 PM
She hesitated for a moment. "Call me Neyya. And no - you walk, either to the camp or - better yet - down to the village. I'll follow. I still don't trust you, Elija the Entertainer - my grandfather always told me not to trust bards..."

There was a definite indication of laughter in her voice.

If you walk, she'll follow... just let me know where are you going with her.

Valmark
2017-09-20, 03:37 PM
I rised my eyes to the skies.
"Geez, now it's our fault if we are beautiful, talented and funny. Anyway, nice name beauty. He's Crown" I say, gesturing to the crow "Which means that I've got a crown, which makes me the king of bards, milady" then I bow down, later turning to go towards the camp.
"If you're ok with it I'd go towards the camp, my companion would get worried if I don't come back..." I start walking.

There was once a girl among the woods
Who met a beautiful guy
He had great black wings
And she was scared, oh yes

There was once a boy among the woods
Who met a beautiful girl
She hidded among the shadows
With a darkly voice

'Cause it comes from the shadow, hehe"

They chatted, on and on
The boy dropping compliments
While shivering in the shadow
Of the great haunty manor

The beauty followed him
And my improvisation is failing me
Whatever, I'm the king of bards
And the beauty is the queen of hearts

I sing, while still keeping my hands high to signal good will.

JeenLeen
2017-09-20, 04:06 PM
Neiman begins to answer, when he hears the scream. Adrenaline washes away the slight haze from festival and drink. He says a quick, "Forgive my leave," to the scribe, then loudly says, "Are any of your women missing?" as he rushes towards his horse.

He grabs his sword, though leaving the shield and helm--too hard to move and see in the dark with them--and motions towards one of the men to hand him a torch.
"I'm going to see who that was. If any danger comes near to camp, yell for me. Elijah, where are you!?"

He starts searching for the source of the sound. As he gets near, if he sees someone or just doesn't after a minute or so, he calls out, "Hello? Is someone hurt?"

Right now he's trying to move quickly towards the sound of the noise, so not sure if any rolls come into play, but I've got Tracking @ 8. Feel free to roll for me. I reckon I wouldn't notice Elijah's footprints, though, between the dark and my haste.

Also, sorry if I frighten the girl.

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-20, 04:16 PM
Fredrick smiles at Prawen. "Thank you I'll accept that challenge anytime. You're good sport Mr.Prawen." Fredrick takes a moment and puts the coins he won away. In all seventeen copper sovereigns and two bits. A fine haul from a quick game. He walks back over to Eldan and caches the tale end of Eldan and the Notary's conversation. He takes a seat acroos from Eldan after the notary leaves. "200... we owe a whopping 200 gold sovereigns in debt right at the beginning." Fredrick gives a small sigh suddenly very much aware how much he was going to have to work to alter this land's fortunes. " I'll start sorting most of the paper wok in the morning. Neither of us is in much of a state to do anything." Fredrick rose and asked the inn keeper "Excuse me which room do we stay in?"

JamesT
2017-09-22, 02:53 PM
Quick post so we can move...

Elden accepts his responsibility to the King and indicates he is ready to head to the manor. He asks Frederick if he would like to come along as well.

Lacco
2017-09-25, 06:28 AM
Outside Oxley Manor

Neiman walked through the undergrowth, each of his steps producing a crunching sound. And then he heard something - a song, in distance. He immediately recognized his companion - who walked slowly, with his arms raised, however with a song on his lips and smile on his face.

He noticed someone walking behind him, a person in cloak - there were no obvious signs of weapons.

Four Winds Inn

The innkeeper looked a bit shocked. "Y-your highnesses shall stay here? O-of course, I will prepare a r-room for you, f-free of charge. It-it is an honor for me..."

When Elden states his intent at staying at the manor, the innkeeper stops, two steps on the staircase. "Shall I prepare just one r-room, your l-lordship?"

JeenLeen
2017-09-25, 08:17 AM
With a confused but relieved expression, Neiman sheathes his sword and calls out towards his friend.
"Elijah? What are you doing out here, and what was that scream? I... gather everything is okay, but I came to help in case someone was hurt."

Valmark
2017-09-25, 08:35 AM
I smile to Neiman.
"Nay, no one's hurt, aside from my honor. Can you believe that someone would speak ill of bards!? I mean, you know me! Who's more skilled, cunning, beautiful and modest then me!?" I say laughing.
"Also, no sudden movements. My companion behind me is quite jumpy, but she's cool"

JeenLeen
2017-09-25, 09:41 AM
Neiman smiles at his friend's joviality, though he had some caution still on his mind. Who is this stranger Elijah found?

Well, whatever. Drink and cheer has him a bit more trusting than might be ideal. He raises his hands (sword already sheathed) in a peaceful sign, saying, "Well, greetings. My name is Neiman. I guess I'm the lead farmer and also a guard for the new lord of the manor. I know Elijah may be forward with his words, but he means no harm. If all is well, I'll head back to the camp. I think some of them heard the scream, too, and were concerned."

Lacco
2017-09-26, 02:56 AM
Outside Oxley Manor

When the girl stepped forward, and light of Neiman's torch illuminated her features, he involuntarily shuddered.

She was not ugly - in fact, her left side of face was pretty - but the right side of her face was deformed, as if she had been burned in the past. She had long, dark hair, dark eyes, and when Neiman addressed her, she courteously bowed and smiled - the scarred part of her face deformed the smile.

"Greetings, ser Neiman. I am Neyya Brightwater, and my grandfather was a steward to your master's step-uncle. I live in the manor at the moment, taking care of him. If you could escort me to the village, I would like to get some supplies - we are short on food and we can not go through the main gate since these men have taken hold of it."

"And as for your companion... I did not mind him, even though he jested at my expense the whole time."

She spoke calmly, with melodic voice.

Behind them, the camp was on foot. Several men had taken torches and seemed to move around the camp.

Valmark
2017-09-26, 05:04 AM
I turn around, pouting. Registrating her features, I smile. She was beautiful. The fact that she had a scarred side of the face didn't negate that, even because beautiness was a matter of both outside and inside.
"Geez, what's the favoritism? You didn't want to be seen by me! And I didn't... yeah, I may have jested a bit. But the beauty part was all true, I see" I say walking up to her, taking her hand and kissing it.
Turning, I walk past Neiman "If I gathered right she doesn't like the refugees, so it's better if we go retrieve the horses and my sword, I'm feeling naked and calm them while she waits for us somewhere a bit past the village, nay?
We can talk more once we're done. Also, no one commented on my song"

JeenLeen
2017-09-26, 07:54 AM
Neiman does his attempt at a bow in response to the lady's comments. Obviously not formally trained, but respectful.

"Greetings, Lady Brightwater. Of course we can provide an escort. If you do not mind, I will first go and settle the fears of those camping in the courtyard. They, too, were alarmed at hearing a scream. I can grab our horses and Elijah's gear."

At Elijah's comment, Neiman gives a laugh and says, "It was a good song, like always. Just not what I usually expect to cause a scream." He ends his sentence with a smile towards the girl.

Back at the camp, Neiman explains that Elijah ran into a girl who was trying to find her way to the village, and they were going to go back together and report to Lord Ox. He expects that he and Elijah, with the new lord and the rest of the party, will arrive early in the morning. He then leads both the horses out towards Elijah and Lady Brightwater.

Assuming Neyya doesn't offer any conversation to start, he asks, "Do you think your grandfather would like to work for the new Lord Ox? I'm certain he would appreciate having someone on staff who knew his uncle and the manor, and of course you both would be allowed to continue living here. At least, I am confident Lord Ox would offer such. He's a kind man, and, from what I've heard, rather unlike his uncle."

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-26, 03:48 PM
Fredrick gives Eldan a curious look "Are you sure we should start heading up to the mansion at night? We should just rest and head up in the morning besides the mansion isn't going anywhere."
Fredrick then addresses the inn keeper. " Sorry just give us a minute to sort this out."

JamesT
2017-09-27, 08:59 PM
Elden tries to gauge what time it is.

I'd like to find out what happened with the rest of our company. You can stay here, and I may come back, but there are unresolved matters that may demand my attention tonight.

Now if you'll excuse me - and of course you are welcome to join...

Thats intended for Frederick - I'm not inviting the innkeeper :)

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-28, 03:39 AM
Fredrick sighs gives a shrug and a concerned look to Eldan " I know your set on this but reconsider because where are you going to put the gold "he whispers as he eyes the large trunk full of gold sovereigns.

"I don't think your horse can carry it all by himself and what if you get into an accident it's nearly pitch black out there and we only just got here. And even if you get up there with out incident what is a group of refugees going to think when they see a single man carrying that much around with him. That's a risk you shouldn't take. So my advice wait for morning. If you absolutely must go leave it here with me and send Elijah and Neiman back here in the morning so we can transport it without trouble. I know your worried about them but I trust they have everything under control."

Fredrick turns back to the inn keeper. "Looks like it will be only one room also do you have anyone willing to act as a last minute guide? I don't want Mr.Eldan traveling up to the castle unattended tonight.I'll be willing to pay." He lets the last few words hang hoping to at least entice the innkeeper to help.

Lacco
2017-09-28, 05:54 AM
Four Winds Inn

Elden looked outside. It was after dark already - night has begun. He guessed two hours until midnight.

The innkeeper nodded. "I-I will prepare a room, my lord. A-as for the guide - m-my second son, m-my lord, will be at y-your service, my lord. I-I will fetch him im-immediately, if y-you agree. He's a smart one - and g-good boy. Strong. I-I know I may b-be mi-misstepping, but would y-you accept him into service? A-as your squire? P-please, think about it."

He walked outside the room, looking both embarassed and happy, leaving them alone, with the chest containing most of Elden's fortune, .

When he returned, he brought with him a yawning boy - maybe 14 years old, healthy-looking, tall and well-built. He looked a bit different than the innkeeper - the shape of his face was the same, but he bore features of more handsome kind. Except for the eyes. He had the eyes of his father.

He bowed. "My lord. How can I serve you?"

Outside Oxley Manor

The girl's cheek turned red when Elija kissed her hand - but she left him, even though she pulled her hand back as soon as he finished - as if his lips burned her. Still, she smiled.

"I do not mind the people who live under the manor - they seem nice. I mind the men living inside." she shivered. "I would still like to go to the village. The innkeeper - Burz - is a friend of my grandfather and he provides me with supplies once per few days." She turned towards Neiman "And I'm not a lady. But I gladly accept your offer for escort."

As they walk towards the camp, she added "I must commend you on singing, Elija the entertainer. But please, do not sing about me anymore."

Back at the camp, the elder had already managed to prepare a whole search party - but as soon as Neiman explained the situation, everybody calmed down and slowly settled down to rest.

As they left, leading their horses, the elder accompanied them for first few steps, thanking them.

"I... I cannot say his uncle was unkind to me or my grandfather. Although I know he... dabbled in magic. And people disliked him. He kept to himself. I am sure my grandfather will happily serve your lord - he served in the manor for his whole life, although... he is old now. Very old. I'll gladly stand in for him, or serve in any way to earn my keep."

They went downhill. In front of them stood the village, its lights slowly diminishing. People were getting ready to sleep.

I assumed Elija wanted to use seduction skill and broke the custom... :smallsmile:. Kissing a hand is usually used for ladies of higher state, for lower classes it's more of a... suggestive gesture.

Valmark
2017-09-28, 06:37 AM
"Can't promise I won't sing about you anymore" I reply.
After leaving the camp, I listen to thier conversation.
"I don't think the boss will force your uncle to work, if he's that old... as for his uncle, what was he like? Up until now I heard he was paranoid and used magic, which doesn't mean it was a bad person... wait." I remember something the girl said before.
"Did you say that you dislike the men INSIDE the manor? Who are they? How did they even get in there?"

yeah I know it wasn't suited for the social class, I did it on purpose :p
Also, didn't think about seduction, but yeah it was appropriated in that situation

JamesT
2017-09-28, 03:12 PM
Elden first replies to the innkeeper

I thank you for the boy's service. I can't promise any particular position, but you can send him to me any time so I can assess his skills. Is the manor far? If not, I don't think I'll expect the boy to guide me there tonight.

You run a great business - i"m not sure if any information about me has preceded me here, but I was an tavern keeper myself prior to my current role - it's a respectable business, and with the hospitality you have shown, I've no doubt you are a man to respect.

I don't think we'll be needing a room tonight - unless Frederick here insists on staying.

To Frederick:

I think we can get this chest to the manor. What do you think? I won't force you to do anything, but you are welcome to spend the night at the manor.

Lacco
2017-09-28, 03:53 PM
Four Winds Inn

The innkeeper looked very happy as he thanked Elden several times over and over and then pushed the lad forward.

"M-my lord, a-allow me to introduce my son, M-marik. He will e-escort you to your manor, and w-will also carry your b-burdens if you let him." he turned to the boy. "S-serve him good, my boy. Make me proud."

The boy just nodded, his eyes wide open as he stared at Elden and Fredrick. Finally, he opened his mouth.

"The manor's just up the hill. It's not a long ride, but it's uphill and it's dark, so it will take maybe half hour." his eyes widened, and then he added "...my lord. Let me just prepare your horses and my mule."

He ran outside with a torch.

Outside Argellon Village

Neyya seemed to be lost in thoughts.

"His uncle...? You mean the old lord? Polite. As I said, kept to himself. I rarely saw him. Once, I found a book he lost and returned it - he asked if I knew how to read, and then made my father teach me. To read, to count... I don't know. He was... strange."

When the discussion turned towards the men, she sighed. "Well, I'm not proud to say but... they tricked my grandfather. They told him they were hired by the old lord. Maybe they were, but if that's true, their contract is over as he is dead. My grandfather let them in - but not even hour passed and the angry knight came - ser Orzalo - who chased them to the outer yard. He had a large argument with my grandfather, who insisted on letting them stay... but Orzalo locked the place up and took the keys. He only asked if we knew how to get out if we need to... and then you came."

She seemed to lighten up. The village was up ahead - and they could see the inn, and young man with a torch, tending to two horses and... mule.

Sleepy Shade
2017-09-30, 08:36 AM
Fredrick waited in the inn unsure of what he should do. The lands were in heavy debt with a group occupying the manor. He looked at the stack of legal scrolls all ready feeling dread at having to decipher the legal speak the kings clerks were so fond of. As he listened at the inn keeper and Eldan getting the horses and mule ready he wondered if Eldan was going to take his horse as well.
He got up and walked over the door and called out to the inn keeper "You can just put my horse up I'm not going anywhere tonight"

JamesT
2017-10-03, 08:18 PM
Elden nods and smiles at the innkeeper, thanks the boy and follows him outside. He asks Frederick to follow and heads out with his newly acquired stuff.

JeenLeen
2017-10-04, 07:57 AM
Smiling with relief at seeing that no apparent trouble was made at the inn, he heads on towards it, looking forward to reuniting with his traveling companions and introducing the steward's grand-daughter.

Between grad school and a trip, I likely won't be posting until Tuesday.

Valmark
2017-10-04, 12:18 PM
"Yay! We're here!" I say, looking at my companions.
"Don't be jumpy now, Nay, the boss is ok" I tell her following Neiman

Lacco
2017-10-04, 02:16 PM
12th of Spiritfeast (Quintus)

Elden opened the door, and took a deep breath. The air was crisp, salty, the frost still in the air, but there was also something else. A whisper of the spring air.

The boy - Elden recalled his name was Marik - was just bringing a brown mule from the small stable. He stopped in front of the inn, looking up the road that lead to manor. Elden soon understood why.

He could hear someone approaching - footsteps and horses. Looking at the same direction he noticed two men leading their horses and a figure in cloak.

Elden recognized his companions - Elija and Neiman. And the boy seemed to recognize the cloaked figure - he waved his hand at her. "Greetings, Neyya! Coming for supplies again?"

Neiman stepped forward and introduced Neyya Brightwater - according to him, a grand-daughter of his step-uncle's old steward. He remembered that man. He was a venerable old man when Elden last visited his uncle, very loyal, almost overprotective.

It was past midnight. Behind him, the boy yawned and he could see that even Elija looked less chipper than usual. The long ride took its toll.

The manor towered above them.

Let's have some EN rolls!
EN/7 - if you fail, you gain 1 point of fatigue. Fumble gives you 2 points.

Sleepy Shade
2017-10-05, 03:29 PM
Fredrick yawns deeply and waves to Elija and Neiman "Well fancy you two coming back I trust they aren't about to burn down the mansion or anything? You can tell us all about it in the morning" Fredrick walks back inside. He sits at a table pulls the chest over to him to keep an eye on it. Normaly he would be quite eager to hear about what happened but the trip had taken a lot out of him all he wanted was a soft bed to fall asleep in.

EN/7
[roll0]

JamesT
2017-10-07, 09:59 PM
Elden felt a sense of familiarity for the first time since coming to the manor, meeting the old steward's grand daughter. Though he hadn't met her, at the very least it was a link to something he remembered.

Pleased to meet you, Neyya. Your grandfather was a good man - and as loyal as they came.

I was just headed to the manor, but it looks as if what I was looking to find there may be answered by you and my returning companions. What's to report? Is the manor ready for us?

[roll0]

JamesT
2017-10-07, 10:02 PM
I hate rolling on these forums... can't seem to get it right. Will break it up and try again

[roll0]

[roll1]

[roll2]

[roll3]

Valmark
2017-10-08, 06:24 AM
I let out a loooooooong yawn.
"There's a group of refugees in the courtyard, whom have left their lord because he was a bit of a tyrant. I said a bit? a lot. And the guards were no better.
As for the insides, tried to get in but... it didn't really work. Thought I found this beauty here! I prefer it this way~
And she said that there a group of soldier who are there abusively. They say that they are soldiers of the old lord, but either it's false or the contract ended. I'd say let's buy their services, if they are thrustworthy"

roll~

[roll0]

Lacco
2017-10-08, 04:25 PM
After Midnight

The girl shivered a bit. She seemed to be pleased by the compliment to her grandfather,

"If you don't mind, my lord, we could move inside. It's still a bit cold for my tastes outside."

"Sadly, I have to say that the manor is not ready for your arrival. All the servants, save for my grandfather, left either before or after the old lord died. We locked most of the doors, covered all the furniture that was left - for your step-uncle did sell many things in his last days - and took care of what we could. The larder is almost empty, king's men confiscated all money they could for 'safeguarding', and we did not even have enough to pay the militiamen your step-uncle hired in his last days."

She sighed.

"I can't say they were abusive. Yes, I assume that if they had a chance to get inside the manor they would loot the place up, but... they say they were promised a payment and received nothing. My grandfather says he does not remember paying them - but he did. However, it's mine word against theirs."

"As for the state of the manor... the eastern wing is unfinished. The woodwork is there, but it needs a skilled mason. And thatcher. And gold to pay them. The main building is in fair state. The great hall, as well as the old lord... forgive me, my lord. Your rooms are in good state - we keep them that way. The larder is almost empty, the kitchen is unstaffed. The whole west wing has been unfortunately a bit... emptied. By the disgruntled servants who ran away. The good news is, it is sound and you can rebuild it to suit your needs. There is an armory and treasury, but I have never stepped in - my grandfather had the key, but king's men took it. And the buildings in the other circles - since we were locked, I was unable to tend to them. And seldom had time - I take care of my grandfather and the main building and I am no maid, my lord. I am better with numbers than with broom."

She blushed a bit while stating the last sentence.

"If you do have any questions, please ask."

Valmark
2017-10-09, 06:45 AM
"So you're smart! That's good. I can handle the broom and relive you of your chores a bit and you can help good old Frederick with accounting" I say, musing on those soldiers.
"If it's worth something, I believe you Nay. As for those guys... it doesn't really feel like a lot we should hire, thought we ARE in need of pretty much everything..."

JeenLeen
2017-10-10, 09:59 AM
Endurance
[roll0]

Just to double-check her sincerity about the men being paid...
Perception: [roll1] @ TN 6

Neiman lets out a yawn as well. "Yeah, I think resting here for the night would be best. Or--Neyya, do you need to get back to your grandfather tonight? At least if you can stay the night to rest, we can head back in the morning. What Elijah says is accurate. The refugees are good men, ready and willing to work. There is also a scribe, who I didn't really get a chance to talk to, and I think one person mentioned a priest, though I didn't see him.

I say we rest, ride up in the morning, and then appraise the so-called soldiers to see what they are worth.
And how about you? Who was the ominous black carriage's owner"

Lacco
2017-10-10, 03:38 PM
Neyya smirked. "I'm looking forward to seeing you with a broom, Elija the Entertainer." Turning to Neiman she stopped smiling. "I should get back but I can stay until morning in the inn and go back with you in the morning - grandfather will sleep soundly during the night but we need to get there at dawn. He will expect his breakfast."

She yawned. "The militiamen... I don't think they are good choice. There are few good lads in the village who would make better choices. These are... vagrants. Still, if you need men, you could do worse. Very well, if you don't need me anymore, I will go ask for a room."

The innkeeper appeared on the stairs, and nodded towards Neyya. Then he turned to Fredrick. "Ser, your room is ready."

Valmark
2017-10-10, 07:54 PM
"See ya, beauty!" I tell her, waving her off.
When she's gone I turn to the others "She's awesome. And beautiful. And smart. I'll have so much fuuuuuun~" I say, piruetting.
"As for serious things! I say we go to bed and tomorrow we'll talk with said vagrants. If we deem them worthy... then ok. But I say to heed her words"

if she doesn't go to beed consider only the part on those soldiers >.>

Sleepy Shade
2017-10-11, 10:27 PM
Fredrick responds with a quick thank you stows a number of the scrolls into his backpack and picks up the chest making his way up the stairs. As he passes the inn keeper " I'm sorry to be a bother but can you make sure the others out side are coming in? We might need some more rooms for the night." He proceeds to follow the inn keeper to his room. As he enters and finally sets the chest down he tells the inn Keeper " I'm sorry for all the running around going on I expect that things might be a bit chaotic around here for the next few days."

JamesT
2017-10-14, 07:49 PM
Elden smiles and throws up his arms.

I'd have to be a blind and deaf fool not to listen to the overwhelming advice being given me. Very well - Frederick gets his wish after all! Let's stay at the inn, and head to the manor in the morning with fresh minds and bodies.

JeenLeen
2017-10-16, 10:38 AM
"Sounds great. I know I'm looking forward to getting out of this gear."

Lacco
2017-11-15, 03:13 AM
Village of Argellon
Four Winds Inn
Night

The innkeeper bowed to Elden and Fredrick and went upstairs, to prepare the other rooms - his son went outside to get some help, and returned with another boy and young girl, who went up to help the innkeeper.

Each of them got their own room. Most of them were still cold, being not used - the marketplaces were closed during Spiritfeast - but the innkeeper made effort to warm each room at least with a pot full of hot coal. The largest one went to Neiman - complete with fireplace, lit with pleasant fire, and large canopy bed. It was at the end of the corridor, and the others had rooms right next to it. It was obvious that Elden was not the first nobleman to stay there - the room had also small servants' room attached to it.

Other rooms were a bit smaller, but the beds were comfortable, linen was clean and the room were a bit warmer - standing closer to the main fireplace chimney. The innkeeper gave each of them a key, and let them into their rooms.

The night passed fast - they fell asleep almost immediately, long travel taking its toll. Outside, wind picked up, howling in the gaps, whistling around the trees. It was Spiritfeast - and the spirits were restless that night. But they did not bother them that night.

Village of Argellon
Four Winds Inn
Hour before Dawn

They all woke up when the soft knock came. Waking up the world around them seemed blurry - they all slept peacefully and felt rested, although it was a short sleep. There was no light coming through the shutters on the windows, so it was still dark outside, but at least it seemed that the wind calmed down.

Elden's fireplace was still glowing, but the room was again a bit cold. Someone was knocking. A man - at least according to the voice. "M'lord, please - wake up. It is time."

Elija could hear the footsteps outside and soft voice - female's voice. Neyya's voice - he remembered. "Wake up! We need to go!"

Fredrick looked at the locked chest and noticed that it was still at the place where he set it, untouched. The key was also still safe. The knocking woke him up, and he could hear people moving outside his door. Voices.

Neiman woke up immediately. Looking around him, it took him a moment to remember where he was and why. His throat was dry and he felt his head pounding - a familiar feeling. He could use a drink.

Sleepy Shade
2017-11-15, 04:58 PM
Fredrick Yawns as he struggles out of bed. The night had been quite and he felt invigorated after sleeping in an actual bed and not a sleeping bag. He walks over to his bag and puts on a new shirt and walked to the door barefoot. He had stripped to his pants the night before and wasn't expecting anything of great urgency. He opens the door and looks out "Yes?"

JeenLeen
2017-11-16, 10:24 AM
Neiman stretches, rubbing some of the areas that were chaffed by his armor. Definitely not wearing it on the ride up.

He gathers up his gear, some of it spread haphazardly around the room in his haste to finally get some good sleep, and puts on some of his better clothes. He opens one of his bottles and takes a swig, swishing the alcohol around his mouth a bit before swallowing. It's wasn't the fancy stuff lords used to clean their teeth, but it did the job to take away the night's grime -- and took away that headache to boot.

With a groan, he realizes it isn't dawn yet, but, well, short nights were the norm of late. He starts to head out the door to find the rest of his companions.

Valmark
2017-11-16, 06:01 PM
"Uguuuuh... no they'll cat- wait, this is not an angry father's voice?" I say, jumping up, groggy and half-asleep.
"Sure thing beauty, coming up when I'm ready. Feel free to help me dress~" I tell her, checking on Crown. Did I feed him yesterday? Oh well, I'll give him something on the ride up.
I get changed fast and open up the door after donning my armor and gathering my things.
"Say, what about breakfast? Could use your lovely voice company, too" I tell Nayya. Hell, it's when I wake up that I'm the most flirty.

Lacco
2017-11-22, 03:56 PM
Village of Argellon
Four Winds Inn
Hour before Dawn

Fredrick opened the door first, and saw the innkeeper with a candle, knocking on Elden's door, as well as Neyya, fully clothed in the same cloak she wore yesterday, knocking on the opposite door.

A moment later, Neiman's door opened - and revealed Neiman in his doublet and leather pants, his pelt coat hung over his arm. He did look tired, but a look into his eyes showed he is already fully awake. They both listened for few seconds to sounds of Elija moving around his room, trying to flirt with Neyya through the door, even though she already moved downstairs after greeting Neiman and Fredrick, and then went back inside to get their gear. When Elija's door opened, he was greeted with empty corridor.

They all met in the corridor, ready. Finally, Elden's door opened. He looked fresh, but little bit troubled. Both Fredrick and Neiman knew him well and could read it in his face, even though the innkeeper did not when he offered Elden free board for him and his three companions until they get the manor into livable condition.

As they stepped to the inn main room, the innkeeper excused himself and went to re-light the fire in the central fireplace. They were not alone. Neyya was rummaging through some sort of a basket, and Marik - the innkeeper's son - sat on one of the chairs, yawning. When he noticed the group going downstairs, he stifled a yawn and stood up. He wore an old leather vest under the heavy fur cloak and was armed with a dagger. There was also a short spear propped up against the wall behind him.

Neyya noticed Marik standing up and turned towards them.

"Good morning. M'lord." she bowed her head, and then addressed the others. "Sers. May I still hope you will provide me with escort to the manor? And would it be possible for us to have breakfast there? I will prepare some, but would prefer us to reach it before grandfather finds out I ventured outside."

Valmark
2017-11-22, 08:13 PM
"Sure thing. I AM the king of bards after all- to go back on my word to a girl would be terrible of me. I'm ready to leave whenever you want" I say jokingly, thinking of the empty corridor from before. A perfectly good flirt wasted. Whatever.
"Say, boy, do you have something for Crown here? Something aside from Neyya's screaming of last night which was rather funny, by the way" I say, looking at Marik.

Sleepy Shade
2017-11-23, 08:55 PM
Fredrick quickly gets dressed after closing the door and walks down with the others. His money pouch is much lighter than yesterday a precaution to try an combat his addiction. Most of his money was left in the chest in another money pouch.
To the girl Neyya "Hello your the woman from last night Neyya right? Sorry I'm stilla touch groggy" Fredrick gives a yawn and sits down at one of the tables. "You said something about breakfast right I never say no to that."

JeenLeen
2017-11-27, 11:27 AM
Neiman smiles at his friends' banter, though he's a little sad about waiting to eat until they reach the manor.

Sleepy Shade
2017-12-08, 08:17 PM
Elden Oxley
Elden nods to Neyya "That is alright I need to talk with my friends."
He sit's down at the table and sighs "So my manor is overrun with mercenaries we'll need to get them out. What do you think they're here for it can't be the manor its self."

Valmark
2017-12-08, 09:14 PM
I sit down, rolling my eyes.
"I think they're just trying to extort more money from us. The real question is... how do we get them out without bloodshed? I'm not sure how many they are, too" I take out one of my throwing knives "I might be able to take one of them out right on the spot, but if they are four or five..."

Sleepy Shade
2017-12-09, 10:34 PM
Elden Oxley
Elden looks over at Elija "Sorry it's just a lot to take in so many problems right off the bat and not a simple solution to any of them." He turns to Neyya "By the way the mercenaries who was leading them?"

JeenLeen
2017-12-09, 11:03 PM
Neiman nods solemnly at the talk of potential bloodshed.

"It's been many a year since I've had to really fight, but if it comes to it, I've got experience. I'll put my armor on when we're near the manor, to be on the safe side. I hope we can reason with them, but if not, I can be near the front of the conflict.

At least, they're probably not expecting trouble, and, if the pantry's been bare and they've housed themselves in there, they're probably a bit malnourished. That should make them a bit less able to fight."

Sleepy Shade
2017-12-10, 04:55 PM
Elden Oxley
"Even if they want money it's not like we have any to spare we owe both my late uncle's friend and the king gold what we have is just enough to cover the debt to Wiyzigr but nothing more."
He sits slummed over the table looking at his hands with a worried look. "Still this is my Manor I can't let those people do as they please." He sit's more up right look at the other's with confidence "We'll sort all this out and get this place back on it's feet."

Lacco
2017-12-14, 10:00 AM
Village of Argellon
Four Winds Inn
Hour before Dawn

Marik looked quizzically at Elija, but then the realization seemed to dawn upon him. He left the room for few moments and came back with a single egg, which he placed in front of Elija. "For the bird, my lord."

In the meantime, Neyya smiled at Fredrick. "Yes, ser. The breakfast is there" she motioned towards the large basket, "however, I would like to ask you to wait with eating until we reach the manor. My grandfather - if he wakes up before I come back, he will be afraid." She listened to Elden and as soon as a question came, she answered. "One of them - I think he calls himself Caroel - leads them. Well, he is the one who usually commands people around. And they are not mercenaries - in the sense of professional soldiers. More like...street rabble turned militia. You should be able to make them back up."

She also nodded when Neiman brought up their state. "They are usually rather hungry. During winter you can only hunt in deep forests, if you want to catch something, and they are afraid to venture there. They mainly feed themselves by fishing in your river, my lord."

When Elden stood up, Marik stepped forward. "My lord, the horses are ready if you please..."

It was freezing outside. Every breath created a small vapour, and they felt their skin tighten when exposed to the cold outside. Their horses stood inside the stable - and Marik did a good job, as each of them was ready for travel.

The manor stood on the hill, a dark looming shape, but the sky above the sea was showing a slight hint of glow - but the dawn was still too far.

As they approached the manor, they passed the refugee camp. It seemed that the refugees were still asleep. The manor gate was closed, and the single guard was nowhere to be seen.

It feels good to be back!

Ok, so you are now standing in front of the manor. You have key to the gate door (the portocullis is down, but there is a small side door in the gatehouse - and Elden has the key). What do you do?

Also please state any preparatory actions within this post.

Valmark
2017-12-14, 05:45 PM
I look at the imposing gate, getting down from the horse. Letting the crow go up in the air, I turn to Neyya "Please... stay behind us at all times, ok? And not just to admire me, this time" I say genuely concerned, then I take my sword from the horse and fix it to the belt, checking my knives for their easiness to use- I might need them, after all.
"I'd tell you too boss, but I guess you're not gonna listen~" I tell Oxley, waiting next to the door.

So yeah, making sure I have all the weapons at the ready, Crown not on me and told Neyya to stay safe. Also, can I assume we can tie up the horses somewhere nearby? I gather they won't pass through said side door

Sleepy Shade
2017-12-14, 10:57 PM
Elden Oxley
Eldan nods "I trust your judgment. But I will assist wherever I can." Eldan takes the key and unlocks the gate. He shivers as he opens the gate. It was it this cold last night he thought.
He addresses Neyya a slight shiver in his voice "N-Neyya can you take us to your grandfather?"

Fredrick Sixpence
Fredricks stomach grumbles as they make their way up to the mansion he hoped there would be eggs and bacon. He ask Neiman "How many do you think are in there? If it comes to blows I don't think we can exactly evict them in our current state"

JeenLeen
2017-12-15, 12:43 PM
As they approach the manor, Neiman gets off his ride. With a slight blush in the direction of Neyya, he moves to the covering of a nearby bush and begins to change into his armor. Not that he'd strip naked to change, but going from his leather clothes to his undergarments wasn't something he wanted to do in sight of the lady.

He emerges in his mail, shield on his arm and blade loose in its scabbard, with his mace stabbed on his side.
"I hope to avoid bloodshed, and I certainly don't mind us going into the manor to start and make sure your grandfather is okay, but I feel more confident like this in case trouble arises. Maybe we should enter the manor by your passageway, then come to surprise them from the inside. If they expect trouble, it's probably from the front door."

With a pause, he adds, "Is it normal for there to be no guard in the early morning? I reckon you've made this trip before. I don't want to wake up the refugees, especially in case doing so might awaken the rabble, but... something about it just seems off. Maybe Elijah should peek in and make sure they are okay, as he's unarmored and met them last night."

Lacco
2017-12-18, 06:27 AM
Oxley Manor
Moments Before Dawn

There were first signs of dawn - as they stood on the hill, they could watch and enjoy the wonderful moment of breaking dawn. The sun was still invisible, below the horizon, but the sky was already turning a bit lighter shade of navy blue and stars were slowly fading.

Neyya looked tense, maybe even afraid. She only nodded to Elija's request and ignored the second part - maybe she did not even hear it. When Elden addressed her, she almost jumped.

"Apologies. Of course, I could lead you inside. But you would need to keep the horses somewhere here, they could otherwise betray my passage to the men inside. And I don't know if it's normal for the manor gate to be without its guard. I usually don't go this way."

Elden walked up to the portocullis and saw the inner courtyard. The tents were there, and the fire was kept by a single man - most probably the guard - and the others were nowhere to be seen. The entrance to the gatehouse was through a small, but massive wooden door with metal banding. The key fit easily and unlocked the door with a loud click, but it looked like the man did not notice it - he did not move.

Valmark
2017-12-18, 09:32 PM
"Let me check it out first as Neiman proposed- you'll know I'm in trouble when someone yells heeeeelp" I say, crouching and entering.

[roll0]

I don't have the time to go check the sheet in the other thread, it should have been 6 of agility, right?

Sleepy Shade
2017-12-21, 04:50 PM
Elden Oxley
Eldan nods "Just be careful. Something isn't right." Eldan draws his sword ready to help Elija if something goes wrong.

Fredrick Sixpence
Fredrick looks at Neyya. "There are supposed to be guards right?" He turns to Elija "I hope you know what your doing."