PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Question

carrdrivesyou
2017-09-01, 04:28 PM
So I was building a Mystic and I saw an ability that I was curious about. Bestial Claws.

"Bestial Claws (1–7 psi). You manifest long claws for an instant and make a melee weapon attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, this attack deals 1d10 slashing damage per psi point spent."

Now, is this keyed to Strength or to Dexterity? I imagine this would be treated as an unarmed attack in regards to function.

Your thoughts Playgrounders?

Sicarius Victis
2017-09-01, 04:33 PM
It's Strength. If any other ability worked, that would be specified in the description.

Similarly, if it was considered an unarmed attack, that would also have been specified. Which means that even Monks can't use DEX for it.

carrdrivesyou
2017-09-01, 08:56 PM
It's Strength. If any other ability worked, that would be specified in the description.

Similarly, if it was considered an unarmed attack, that would also have been specified. Which means that even Monks can't use DEX for it.

That is unfortunate. Oh well. Thank you!

sightlessrealit
2017-09-01, 09:10 PM
So I was building a Mystic and I saw an ability that I was curious about. Bestial Claws.

"Bestial Claws (1–7 psi). You manifest long claws for an instant and make a melee weapon attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, this attack deals 1d10 slashing damage per psi point spent."

Now, is this keyed to Strength or to Dexterity? I imagine this would be treated as an unarmed attack in regards to function.

Your thoughts Playgrounders?

As per Mystic rules

Saving Throws and Attack Rolls If a discipline requires a saving throw, it specifies the type of save and the results of a successful or failed saving throw. The DC is determined by your psionic ability.
Some disciplines require you to make an attack roll to determine whether the discipline’s effect hits its target. The attack roll uses your psionic ability.

Sicarius Victis
2017-09-01, 10:06 PM
As per Mystic rules

Saving Throws and Attack Rolls If a discipline requires a saving throw, it specifies the type of save and the results of a successful or failed saving throw. The DC is determined by your psionic ability.
Some disciplines require you to make an attack roll to determine whether the discipline’s effect hits its target. The attack roll uses your psionic ability.

That's your "discipline attack moděfier", separate from the "weapon attack" referred to in Bestial Claws. If it was a "weapon attack" that used the "discipline attack modifier", it would have specified that it used that modifier, the way Animate Weapon does:

and makes a one-handed melee weapon attack against it, using your discipline attack modifier for the attack and damage rolls.
As Animate Weapon specifies the usage of the "discipline attack modifier", so would have Bestial Claws, in theory.

Edit: Upon rereading I find your interpretation to more likely be RAI, but the writing suggests otherwise RAW.

sightlessrealit
2017-09-01, 10:30 PM
That's your "discipline attack moděfier", separate from the "weapon attack" referred to in Bestial Claws. If it was a "weapon attack" that used the "discipline attack modifier", it would have specified that it used that modifier, the way Animate Weapon does:

As Animate Weapon specifies the usage of the "discipline attack modifier", so would have Bestial Claws, in theory.

Edit: Upon rereading I find your interpretation to more likely be RAI, but the writing suggests otherwise RAW.

In Animate Weapon it has to specifically mention it because your using a weapon that normally wouldn't use those stats.