PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl

Moff Chumley
2007-08-11, 10:25 PM
Anyone use it? Or prefer it over CD? I personaly advocate vinyl because I like seventies music because A) Album covers, B) It's cheaper (sometimes).
For example, I just picked up Wind & Wuthering (Genisis) and Warchild (Juthro Tull) for $3 each, and Yessongs (Yes. Duh.) For $8.

Samiam303
2007-08-11, 11:21 PM
I've developed a habit of picking up even new records on vinyl instead of CD when possible. I don't honestly know why, I just like the feel and the sound of 'em.

Amotis
2007-08-12, 12:16 AM
I (used to and now more randomly) collect vinyl. Almost all the Bob Dylan records (this seems like the standard thing to do for music nerds :smalltongue: ), a lot of jazz records I horded back in high school and continue to do so, and a lot of classical stuff. Oh, and I got one of those framed White Albums for Christmas one year. :smallcool: For more modern bands I just buy CD's and t-shirts and go to concerts to support them.

Rawhide
2007-08-12, 12:18 AM
The artwork for the CD and tape versions of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds just isn't the same as the vinyl.

Serpentine
2007-08-12, 02:22 AM
My dad has a pretty damn good collection, including all the Beatles' albums. My damnable sister's already bagsed his sound system, so I've claimed the records. :smallamused:

SDF
2007-08-12, 02:38 AM
I have a few Beatles and all the Simon and Garfunkel albums in vinyl. But I don't so much buy music anymore as I find it kind of lying around the internet...

DraPrime
2007-08-12, 08:44 AM
I use vinyl, but mainly because it has better sound quality. The only problem is that over time they get scratched. I managed to solve this problem by spending some money on something that uses a laser to read the vinyl record, not a needle. That way the record lasts much longer.

JellyPooga
2007-08-12, 09:30 AM
I much prefer vinyl to CD's, if only for the reason that browsing vinyl in second hand music shops is so much more interesting than browsing CDs...I'm not entirely sure why, but it just is. I also prefer the sound quality of a vinyl...sometimes a CD it too crisp, too clear...when I'm listening to blues or jazz I often prefer hearing the hiss you get from a vinyl player.

My only bone with vinyl as opposed to DC is that if you're doing something, having to stop every half-hour to turn it over gets really annoying (whereas with CD you can go anything up to an hour and a half without "running out" of music).

2007-08-12, 10:29 AM
The only reason I'd ever buy vinyl is the same reason I'd ever learn to play guitar.

To pick up cute alt-musician girls.

Eldpollard
2007-08-12, 10:43 AM
I use vinyl, but mainly because it has better sound quality. The only problem is that over time they get scratched. I managed to solve this problem by spending some money on something that uses a laser to read the vinyl record, not a needle. That way the record lasts much longer.

Do you have a link to this sort of product? I'd be interested in something like that. For the record I prefer vinyl, just as well my Dad's friend owns a record shop nearby, I get money off that way.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-12, 11:44 AM
Vinyls = much better sound than CDs

I prefer vinyls, but I live in an apartment so there's no much room and vinyls need space.
They are better if u have a collection.
But where I live, CDs are nuch cheaper.
:smallmad:

DraPrime
2007-08-12, 09:25 PM
Do you have a link to this sort of product? I'd be interested in something like that. For the record I prefer vinyl, just as well my Dad's friend owns a record shop nearby, I get money off that way.

I didn't buy it for the outrageous price (http://www.laserturntable.com/purchase/index.html) it's usually sold at. I have a friend who worked for the company that makes those so I got it for the low price of $500. Unless you want to pay 9000 ****ing dollars for it, don't get it. I could buy a car with that much money.

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-12, 09:36 PM
My uncle has a truly awesome collection of vinyl. First (Canadian) printings of some classics like Nevermind the Bollocks and other classic rock stuff. Unfortunately, they've all been scratched to the point of being FUBAR. >_< Too bad.

I however, am pretty much all digital. I could easily buy a turntable and start a vinyl collection though. Hmm...

Arameus
2007-08-12, 10:24 PM
My dad has a pretty good vinyl collection, which includes an album called Just a Game by Triumph. It's killer stuff, I'd never even heard of them before I listened to the record, and I really enjoy Triumph's music now.

In addition, it has the greatest album cover in the history of the world. It's ridiculous. And it comes with a rock-themed board game! Craziness!

PlatinumJester
2007-08-13, 03:39 PM
My dad has about 500 vinyls (literally). His rarest ones are on the wall in our living room.

Vinyls kick the arse of MP3 :smallamused:

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-13, 04:56 PM
Vinyls have amazing sound quality; (I learnt this inn Science for my GCSEs) it's all down to the pattern on the vinly so it picks up every sound and variation in the music.
My mum and dad both have geat vinly collections and I'm contemplating it because of the better quality.
Besides I love 70s music and the decade in general so I thought it'd be better, and it's fairly cheap.

One problem with vinly is that it can warp under wrong conditions and the sctrtches. Luckily, none of my parents' records are like that. And they have a truly amazing sound system for vinly, cassettes and CDs.:smallbiggrin:

SkanMan
2007-08-13, 11:36 PM
So i guess im the only rap guy here...hmmm, well, i prefer vinyl to disk except for that practicality issue. and naturally i love hearing beats cut up and scratched...opinions anyone?