PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster Buffing

Waterdeep Merch
2017-09-01, 08:47 PM
I'm planning a large campaign soon with a large emphasis on storytelling and character interaction. The world is extremely low magic, so much so that only two players start with anything- an eldritch knight who doesn't understand that she's using magic at all, and an arcane trickster.

Eldritch knights are pretty fantastic in general, and it fits the theme not to toy with it much (beyond specifying certain magics to be off-limits and removing VSM from the remainder as recompense). The arcane trickster is my issue. The idea is that he was a court magician's apprentice that has suddenly been thrust into his master's role, and is in over his head. So I need him to behave more like a wizard.

My plan is to give him access to the entire wizard spell list, a wizard's spell book, and ritual casting. He'll be able to prepare spells equal to 1/3 his level rounded up + intelligence modifier, as though a third of his levels were in the wizard class. Everything else will remain the same.

In a world where he's going to be one of the only spellcasters, how insane do you think that would make him? I want him to be useful as the party's "wizard" without actually giving him the class itself (for now. A personal quest of his will be to become a true wizard). It's a pretty potent buff, though I think it's pretty balanced by AT not being all that powerful of a subclass in the first place.

Gignere
2017-09-01, 09:35 PM
I'm planning a large campaign soon with a large emphasis on storytelling and character interaction. The world is extremely low magic, so much so that only two players start with anything- an eldritch knight who doesn't understand that she's using magic at all, and an arcane trickster.

Eldritch knights are pretty fantastic in general, and it fits the theme not to toy with it much (beyond specifying certain magics to be off-limits and removing VSM from the remainder as recompense). The arcane trickster is my issue. The idea is that he was a court magician's apprentice that has suddenly been thrust into his master's role, and is in over his head. So I need him to behave more like a wizard.

My plan is to give him access to the entire wizard spell list, a wizard's spell book, and ritual casting. He'll be able to prepare spells equal to 1/3 his level rounded up + intelligence modifier, as though a third of his levels were in the wizard class. Everything else will remain the same.

In a world where he's going to be one of the only spellcasters, how insane do you think that would make him? I want him to be useful as the party's "wizard" without actually giving him the class itself (for now. A personal quest of his will be to become a true wizard). It's a pretty potent buff, though I think it's pretty balanced by AT not being all that powerful of a subclass in the first place.

First off AT is imo the best rogue subclass and rogues are no slouches in this edition.

Second you can get most of what you want for your story without homebrewing just by having the AT start with the ritual caster feat. I think it accomplishes 95% of what you want the player to do without having to worry about home brew balance.

Specter
2017-09-02, 09:23 AM
First off AT is imo the best rogue subclass and rogues are no slouches in this edition.

Second you can get most of what you want for your story without homebrewing just by having the AT start with the ritual caster feat. I think it accomplishes 95% of what you want the player to do without having to worry about home brew balance.

Agreed. Ritual Caster gets you where you want to go.

Snowfalcon
2017-09-02, 02:42 PM
I would agree with previous comments that Ritual Caster Feat would be a good mechanism to make a Rogue more Wizard-like or reflect that he spent some time in study under a Wizard before circumstances placed him on a different "career path".

The other consideration is Magic Initiate Feat which grants two cantrips and a once/long rest 1st level spell. Both feats, together would give a strong feel of "an interrupted apprenticeship".

I might add a couple of things depending on the other considerations of the situation.

If he's the sole remaining wizard in the land/world low level spells and cantrips are going to be pretty impressive to anyone around so he will look to most people much more capable than he is. He also has no guidance so if he wants to be a wizard and advance his abilities and spells he's rather on his own.

Given those things I'd be inclined to either strongly suggest or require that one of his skills be Arcana, and I would tie successful arcana checks to things.

I would also go back to how things were in 1st Edition: when you gained spells under that edition you didn't get to just pick them from the spell list, you had to find a spell book or scroll or spend the time and money to do the research to figure a spell out yourself. (This was a mechanism so that the DM could manage -- and helpfully direct -- spell selections by the magic user players.) I would impose the same limit on the Arcane Trickster. This might be the balance to giving him two feats. As he advances Rogue levels and comes to know more spells he doesn't automatically know them when he levels. If he doesn't have a scroll or some other source for the spell or doesn't work out research of some kind he doesn't know more spells. Many hooks for adventure here.

I'd make the mechanic that he needs to have the spell in his spell book before he can "know" it as an Arcane Trickster. I would also make it somewhat difficult to get things into the spell book. Again borrowing from 1E, I'd require the usual expenditure for materials to copy a new spell and I'd require a successful Arcana check to correctly scribe the spell and master it. The DC might be 9 plus the spell level, which would allow for copying higher level spells than he could cast for future use, but with a greater chance of failure. This would reflect the lack of education and guidance, and balance the additional powers of feats and other things you might add to the mix.

I might keep to the limits of Arcane Trickster for what spells can be "known" with certainty (Enchantment and Illusion are, I believe, the schools required for most of an AT's spells), but I might sweeten that by allowing after 3rd level the preparation of one additional spell per level from any school provided the spell is within the range of what levels he can cast and that he has successfully transcribed the spell into his spellbook. He'd still have the same number of slots, but he would have more "wizard-like" options for what could be cast with those slots.

If you want to add some variables, require a successful Arcana Check to cast a spell outside his "core" schools. A similar mechanic might be used in some situations to allow him to cast a ritual that is higher level than he could cast as an AT. Various divination spells come to mind. They may be a route for him to get the guidance he needs to maintain his public position as a full wizard, but they are on the far edge of his ability to cast and fraught with problems reflected by the DC of the Arcana Check to successfully cast. Failure would likely result in misinformation ....

Personally I think it would be a gas to play such a character. There would be a strong inclination to make liberal use of Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, Silent Image and such to create the appearance of more powerful magics than the character was capable of and thereby maintain the impression that he's more of a wizard than he is. Situations could drive him to dangerous adventures to get the tomes that would give the information that might be needed to both advance and to be able to do the critical spells necessary to save whatever needs saving.

And then there's always that chance that some Fiend might turn up offering an "easier path". "More power that you need, more of the knowledge you crave, just sign here, please...."

Enjoy!

Waterdeep Merch
2017-09-04, 02:00 PM
I would agree with previous comments that Ritual Caster Feat would be a good mechanism to make a Rogue more Wizard-like or reflect that he spent some time in study under a Wizard before circumstances placed him on a different "career path".

The other consideration is Magic Initiate Feat which grants two cantrips and a once/long rest 1st level spell. Both feats, together would give a strong feel of "an interrupted apprenticeship".

I might add a couple of things depending on the other considerations of the situation.

If he's the sole remaining wizard in the land/world low level spells and cantrips are going to be pretty impressive to anyone around so he will look to most people much more capable than he is. He also has no guidance so if he wants to be a wizard and advance his abilities and spells he's rather on his own.

Given those things I'd be inclined to either strongly suggest or require that one of his skills be Arcana, and I would tie successful arcana checks to things.

I would also go back to how things were in 1st Edition: when you gained spells under that edition you didn't get to just pick them from the spell list, you had to find a spell book or scroll or spend the time and money to do the research to figure a spell out yourself. (This was a mechanism so that the DM could manage -- and helpfully direct -- spell selections by the magic user players.) I would impose the same limit on the Arcane Trickster. This might be the balance to giving him two feats. As he advances Rogue levels and comes to know more spells he doesn't automatically know them when he levels. If he doesn't have a scroll or some other source for the spell or doesn't work out research of some kind he doesn't know more spells. Many hooks for adventure here.

I'd make the mechanic that he needs to have the spell in his spell book before he can "know" it as an Arcane Trickster. I would also make it somewhat difficult to get things into the spell book. Again borrowing from 1E, I'd require the usual expenditure for materials to copy a new spell and I'd require a successful Arcana check to correctly scribe the spell and master it. The DC might be 9 plus the spell level, which would allow for copying higher level spells than he could cast for future use, but with a greater chance of failure. This would reflect the lack of education and guidance, and balance the additional powers of feats and other things you might add to the mix.

I might keep to the limits of Arcane Trickster for what spells can be "known" with certainty (Enchantment and Illusion are, I believe, the schools required for most of an AT's spells), but I might sweeten that by allowing after 3rd level the preparation of one additional spell per level from any school provided the spell is within the range of what levels he can cast and that he has successfully transcribed the spell into his spellbook. He'd still have the same number of slots, but he would have more "wizard-like" options for what could be cast with those slots.

If you want to add some variables, require a successful Arcana Check to cast a spell outside his "core" schools. A similar mechanic might be used in some situations to allow him to cast a ritual that is higher level than he could cast as an AT. Various divination spells come to mind. They may be a route for him to get the guidance he needs to maintain his public position as a full wizard, but they are on the far edge of his ability to cast and fraught with problems reflected by the DC of the Arcana Check to successfully cast. Failure would likely result in misinformation ....

Personally I think it would be a gas to play such a character. There would be a strong inclination to make liberal use of Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, Silent Image and such to create the appearance of more powerful magics than the character was capable of and thereby maintain the impression that he's more of a wizard than he is. Situations could drive him to dangerous adventures to get the tomes that would give the information that might be needed to both advance and to be able to do the critical spells necessary to save whatever needs saving.

And then there's always that chance that some Fiend might turn up offering an "easier path". "More power that you need, more of the knowledge you crave, just sign here, please...."

Enjoy!
I love this idea. Yes, it's a world where magic of any sort is impressive. It's a combination of old Arthurian legend and Celtic lore, where magic is the dominion of the fae, who are weird and terrifying on their best days. The arcane trickster player will represent the best wizard in his entire kingdom, since even cantrips are something maybe a dozen non-fae in the world know. Ancient grimoires can be misleading, and manipulating magic is both difficult and dangerous. The player's going to focus his ability scores on intelligence and took expertise in arcana as a result, which fits well with making him research his spells, learn them, and attempt to transcribe them.

That way there's a chance of failure that fits the theme and makes him feel validated in his decision to focus on arcana.

Snowfalcon
2017-09-04, 03:41 PM
I love this idea. Yes, it's a world where magic of any sort is impressive. It's a combination of old Arthurian legend and Celtic lore, where magic is the dominion of the fae, who are weird and terrifying on their best days. The arcane trickster player will represent the best wizard in his entire kingdom, since even cantrips are something maybe a dozen non-fae in the world know. Ancient grimoires can be misleading, and manipulating magic is both difficult and dangerous. The player's going to focus his ability scores on intelligence and took expertise in arcana as a result, which fits well with making him research his spells, learn them, and attempt to transcribe them.

That way there's a chance of failure that fits the theme and makes him feel validated in his decision to focus on arcana.

Your world intrigues me more and more. Arthurian has been a favorite genre and setting of mine for a good while. (Although it's been far too long since I've visited Sir Thomas.)

Keep me posted on what transpires! (Unless you'd take a remote player.)

Enjoy!