PDA

View Full Version : Creating Life: a Demon's Business?

Unoriginal
2017-09-02, 09:18 AM
Reading the various books, I've noticed that Demons are involved in the origins of quite a few creatures, sometime with their influences spontaneously creating them or twisting them.

I mean, in the MM and the Volo's, the Gnolls, the Minotaurs,, the Chimera, the Chitines, the Devourers, the Ettins (though noted as a legend), the the Jackalweres, the Merrows, and even the Oozes (though, again, it is not confirmed) are said to be the result of Demon Lords' influences, as are Undead like the Bodaks or the Ghouls. Which makes 7 confirmed species, 2 kinds of Undead and 2 not clear, for a total of 11 kinds of creatures demons specifically "gave birth" to.

And that's not counting all the Undead or other transformed beings in whose creation demon intervention is an option, creatures that are half-demons, or the new kinds of demons created by the Lords.

In comparison, in the Nine Hell's camp, Asmodeus is only noted to have only influenced the Tieflings and to have commissioned the creation of the Yugoloth (with... poor results, shall we say) while others Devils created the Rakshasa, and the Illithids tried to twist three species and only succeeded with the Grimlocks... and I think those two are the only factions that come anywhere close of the Demons' "record", unless I missed something.

So it seems to me that in 5e's lore, demons have an easier time creating new beings than anyone else, with even gods being second (due to them generally creating only one kind of mortals specifically in their image and a few different Outsiders at best). What do you think?

Naanomi
2017-09-02, 10:04 AM
Twisting existing creation into something more horrible is part of the abyss's schtick sometimes... and 'doing horrific things that were not meant to be done by Gods or Nature' is the bread and butter of upper-level demons.

Their presence often 'mutates' creatures unintentionally as well from the pure chaos around them (in some ways demons better reflect chaos than slaad, because of the old tampering with the slaad spawning stone).

Devils follow and exploit the rules, Demons crap on them and do what they want; I imagine that creating new and horrid life falls under this preview as often as not.

Note though that historically yugoloth also are quite the 'expirementors' in crafting new life, albeit more often as new types of outsiders rather than new 'prime material' life

Millstone85
2017-09-02, 10:11 AM
As far as the Outer Planes are concerned, I associate Chaos with creation and Law with maintenance.