PDA

View Full Version : Combat Spells for a Church Inquisitor?

Palanan
2017-09-02, 12:27 PM
My next session is tonight and I’m trying to put together a list of spells for a Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 3. He has the Ecclesitheurge archetype and won’t enter melee if at all possible; he prefers fighting with spells, and he may be in for a fight tonight.

So I’d be glad of suggestions for strong combat-oriented spells, both offensive and defensive. Bear in mind that he’s casting as a sixth-level cleric, so he only has access to first-, second-, and third-level spells. All suggestions within that range are welcome, and I’m open to all official 3.5 and Pathfinder sources.

Eldariel
2017-09-02, 12:34 PM
My next session is tonight and I’m trying to put together a list of spells for a Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 3. He has the Ecclesitheurge archetype and won’t enter melee if at all possible; he prefers fighting with spells, and he may be in for a fight tonight.

So I’d be glad of suggestions for strong combat-oriented spells, both offensive and defensive. Bear in mind that he’s casting as a sixth-level cleric, so he only has access to first-, second-, and third-level spells. All suggestions within that range are welcome, and I’m open to all official 3.5 and Pathfinder sources.

Frostburn spells: Conjure Ice Beast I-III (use ice aura and just have 'em hang around 4d6ing everyone in area - or some bigger Engulfers) and Ice Slick are amazing. Shivering Touch is unbelievably powerful, capable of oneshotting Dragons. Against casters, Silence is superb particularly bound to an object and against martials, the power of Shatter leaves you with little doubt. Summon Monster III is solid if you have Augment Summoning - see Summoner's Desk Reference (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255219-The-Summoner-s-Desk-Reference-D-amp-D-3-5). If you channel negative, you can also consider Summon Undead; Skeletal Owlbears are quite the beaters (as evident in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?525145-Help-me-save-my-party) where they + Grease maul a level 7 Crusader). Nauseating Breath [SC] or its Serpent Kingdoms equivalent are both really strong. If you're dealing with a single target, single target SoDs like Heartache [BoVD] + Coup de Grace, Hold Person + Coup de Grace, or simple Blindness/Deafness works. Also Command and Cause Fear are reasonable 1st level options. Darkbolt [Lords of Madness] is damage + save-or-daze. Some damage spells like Fleshripper [BoVD] exist too.

Depends very much on alone or with group and vs. one or multiple foes, and vs. martials, casters or monsters. Though you should prepare for all of above and remember that summons are quite strong (Dretch can cast Stinking Cloud and fight for example).