PDA

View Full Version : Tabaxi Rogue/Monk

DemonPanda
2017-09-02, 02:57 PM
I was thinking of doing 9 levels of rogue and 11 levels of monk. 9 lvls of rogue for 2nd archetype and 11 lvls of monk for the wave of shadow ability. Starting 3 lvls of rogue. Then doing 5 lvls of monk. Then 6 lvls of rogue and 6 lvls of monk. I'm going for a fast shadow thief, that can look for traps. Mainly doing shadow sneak attack damage. Any thoughts? In the campaign, I'm doing with friends ill be starting out as lvl 3. So ill be 3 lvls of a rogue at start. Any tips?

Dudewithknives
2017-09-02, 03:38 PM
I was thinking of doing 9 levels of rogue and 11 levels of monk. 9 lvls of rogue for 2nd archetype and 11 lvls of monk for the wave of shadow ability. Starting 3 lvls of rogue. Then doing 5 lvls of monk. Then 6 lvls of rogue and 6 lvls of monk. I'm going for a fast shadow thief, that can look for traps. Mainly doing shadow sneak attack damage. Any thoughts? In the campaign, I'm doing with friends ill be starting out as lvl 3. So ill be 3 lvls of a rogue at start. Any tips?

11 rogue is very tempting. Reliable talent is just that good.

Also shadow monk is over rated. I would go Open hand.

At 3 of hope hand when you hit with your flurry there is a good chance to knock them prone which leads to an advantage sneak attack anyway

DemonPanda
2017-09-02, 03:45 PM
Whelp found out ill be doing 5 levels of rogue ,before being able to multiclass. From dm. In their campaign of being brought to a place to be trained by monk in story. Whats open hand? Does it go with my character?

Citan
2017-09-04, 09:52 AM
Well, it does synergize well. ;)

11 rogue is very tempting. Reliable talent is just that good.

Also shadow monk is over rated. I would go Open hand.

At 3 of hope hand when you hit with your flurry there is a good chance to knock them prone which leads to an advantage sneak attack anyway
This is, sorry, a VERY bad advice to give when not knowing anything more about the character.
Shadow has two big advantages (three in fact).
- Does not depend on WIS (contrarily to Open Hand which is directly dependent on it).
- Gives good versatile spells to use your concentration on, which synergize directly with Rogue's classic roles (scouting, spying, ambushing).
- Gives some of the best duration/cost Monk abilities, which is important because that character will have low amount of Ki and great competition for bonus action for a long time.

Whelp found out ill be doing 5 levels of rogue ,before being able to multiclass. From dm. In their campaign of being brought to a place to be trained by monk in story. Whats open hand? Does it go with my character?
Open Hand is an archetype that gives you...
- Free shove/push/no-reaction effect, against a STR or DEX save based on your WIS, when you take Flurry of Blows (which cost one ki).
- A one-time per long rest action to regain 3*Monk level. So for you it will be useless since you start leveling Monk much much later than usual. Especially when as a Rogue you get an extra feat that could be used on Healer feat (especially as a Thief, which means you can use it with a bonus action).
- A self-Sanctuary effect once per long rest.

UNLESS you rolled very good stat and start with 18 in both DEX and WIS, Open Hand is really a lackluster choice. Stick with Shadow, you will have great fun with it.
Once you get some Monk levels, either grab a Mage Armor one way or another to get a DEX-based AC and still use Martial Arts, or just ditch Martial Arts altogether and just use Ki solely on Shadow Spells, Dodge as a bonus action or occasional Flurry of Blows. ;)