PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Whirler (Class in 30 minutes, PEACH)

Jormengand
2017-09-02, 05:47 PM
The justification for this class is that I wanted to be able to play as Ellder from Warlords: Heroes. Also Oberyn Martell from Game of Thrones minus the part where he loses that fight. You can also totally be an archer with this setup too though.

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
1st+2+2+2+0Special Ability
2nd+4+3+3+0Supreme Competence +2
3rd+6/+1+3+3+1Deadly Force 1d6
4th+8/+3+4+4+1Combat Step 1/Round
5th+10/+5+4+4+1Special Ability
6th+12/+7/+2+5+5+2Supreme Competence +4
7th+14/+9/+4+5+5+2Deadly Force 2d6
8th+16/+11/+6/+1+6+6+2Combat Step 2/Round
9th+18/+13/+8/+3+6+6+3Special Ability
10th+20/+15/+10/+5+7+7+3Supreme Competence +6
11th+22/+17/+12/+7/+2+7+7+3Deadly Force 3d6
12th+24/+19/+14/+9/+4+8+8+4Combat Step 3/Round
13th+26/+21/+16/+11/+6/+1+8+8+4Special Ability
14th+28/+23/+18/+13/+8/+3+9+9+4Supreme Competence +8
15th+30/+25/+20/+15/+10/+5+9+9+5Deadly Force 4d6
16th+32/+27/+22/+17/+12/+7/+2+10+10+5Combat Step 4/Round
17th+34/+29/+24/+19/+14/+9/+4+10+10+5Special Ability
18th+36/+31/+26/+21/+16/+11/+6/+1+11+11+6Supreme Competence +10
19th+38/+33/+28/+23/+18/+13/+8/+3+11+11+6Deadly Force 5d6
20th+40/+35/+30/+25/+20/+15/+10/+5+12+12+6Combat Step 5/Round

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

Class Skills:
The whirler's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Geography) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str) and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Features
The following are the class features of the whirler.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
The whirler is proficient in light armour, shields and all simple and martial weapons. Medium and Heavy armour or tower shields interfere with the whirler's abilities.

Elite Base Attack Bonus
The whirler's base attack bonus progression is as given on Table: The Whirler. This entitles the whirler to up to eight attacks from base attack bonus alone, just as given on the table. The whirler uses epic attack bonus progressions normally upon reaching 21st level but not before, despite reaching 20 base attack bonus at level 10.

Special Ability (Ex)
The whirler gains a special ability from the Whirler Special Ability list at first level, and every four levels thereafter. These abilities are only useable while the whirler uses no armour heavier than light and is not using a tower shield.

Supreme Competence (Ex)
At second level, the whirler gets a +2 competence bonus to all skill checks and to armour class. This improves by 2 at 6th level and every fourth level thereafter. However, the bonus is lost if the whirler is using medium or heavy armour or a tower shield.

Deadly Force (Ex)
At 3rd level, and every fourth level thereafter, the whirler adds 1d6 points of true damage to any attack which hits. True damage is multiplied on critical hits and cannot be prevented, resisted or mitigated by any means.

Combat Step (Ex)
Once per round per four levels, the whirler can take a 5-foot step as a free action any time the whirler could take an immediate action. This is in addition to the normal 5-foot step and applies even if the whirler already moved.

Whirler Special Abilities:

Acrobatic Combatant: The whirler can run, charge or withdraw without having to move in a straight line, and can make as many balance, climb, jump, tumble or swim checks as necessary to do this.
Deflection: The whirler can, as an immediate action, deflect a single attack made against the whirler and then attack the target with the same weapon using the whirler's bonuses (even though the whirler isn't the one wielding the weapon). This ability works against melee or ranged attacks.
Exceptional Agility: The whirler gains the evasion class feature (allowing the whirler to take no damage instead of half damage on a successful reflex save against an effect which allows a reflex save for half damage). The whirler also treats any fall as half the normal distance before making jump or tumble checks to mitigate the damage.
Never Surprised: The whirler always acts in the surprise round. If there wouldn't normally be one, there is one in which the whirler acts. The whirler cannot cast a spell or manifest a power in the surprise round even if the whirler knows any, unless the whirler would have acted in the surprise round without this ability.
Off the Walls: Whenever the whirler makes a jump into a wall, you can make another jump check in a row, potentially jumping between two nearby walls repeatedly. If the whirler jumps over a creature, the whirler can make a free attack against them and they're flat-footed against all attacks the whirler makes this round.
Steel Hurricane: The whirler can make a full attack at the end of a charge with a melee weapon or the end of a withdrawal with a ranged weapon.
Whirling Advance: The whirler can move 5 feet after each attack. This movement doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. The whirler can attack into a square for no reason but to move further.

Amechra
2017-09-02, 06:12 PM
So... yep.

Pretty much everyone will dip for Never Surprised. Especially spellcasters, who don't mind the armor and shield limitations AT ALL.

Seriously, what kind of party is this supposed to be in? For any of the optimization levels I can think of, this is either too strong, or it's a class you dip to get a free round every combat and +2 BAB.

JBPuffin
2017-09-02, 06:52 PM
It's so beautifully broken...like a trainwreck in the shape of the Eiffel Tower. I know next to nothing about 3.5's balance, but +2 BAB and an always-on surprise round make every fight entertaining. These are always so fun.

Oh yeah, Amechra, don't forget - if everyone wants to take it, everyone can, and completely nullify Never Surprised's impact - except, of course, for the people who go for level 1 Evasion or walk-stab-walk or another nifty thing, but that's probably a smaller camp.

Jormengand
2017-09-03, 07:16 AM
Ugh, see, I was gonna not put Righteous Desperation on this because Ellder actually uses two magic items, but...

I guess I'll just put in a code of conduct which prevents you from casting spells with it. Or... maybe just force you to stay in Whirler for at least 4 levels, say. That way you're losing at least your ninth-level spells and also are just 4 levels behind if you use anything else. I mean, or being behind half a spell level is probably actually bad enough that I don't mind people dipping for never surprised. EDIT: Made it no spells in the surprise round.

As for power level, it's mainly meant for those campaigns where standard martial classes are obsolete and spellcasters are in style. Not quite as much so as the hypermundanes ("You can coup de grace nonhelpless enemies" being an ability they get from level one), but those who think that fighter is a real class need not apply.

sengmeng
2017-09-04, 06:25 PM
It's still going to boost spellcasters' power if they want to join a PrC with BAB minimums. Now they can qualify for abjurant champion with half as much investure in a martial class.

Jormengand
2017-09-04, 07:00 PM
It's still going to boost spellcasters' power if they want to join a PrC with BAB minimums. Now they can qualify for abjurant champion with half as much investure in a martial class.

Yeah, and gishes are weaker than full casters anyway. I don't mind narrowing the gap.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-05, 01:42 PM
I'm never quite sure what to say about "this is intentionally OP" classes like this one is apparently supposed to be. Like... yup, this is crazy strong? You'll charge (ignoring most everthing that normally hinders such an action), full attack, eviscerate whatever you're facing with a crapton of highly-accurate attacks with bonus damage, then deflect/dodge whatever counterattack they just incurred.

On a technical note, I'm not sure what Combat Step 2+/round is supposed to do, since you only get one immediate action. Off the Walls is also both odd and far weaker than any other option on the list.