PDA

View Full Version : Character Build Fun/Challenge: From The Archives

Pyromancer999
2017-09-02, 06:08 PM
Background: Back when I first started getting into D&D, no stores near me(at least, hat I knew of at the time) carried any of the books, so I had to rely on the library's copy of the Player's Handbook and whatever excerpts/online content was available at the time when it came to reading encountering new material.

Challenge: Try to build a functional/interesting character using only(or at least, so much as possible) material that can be found on the Wizards of the Coast's 3.5 Archives, assuming a basic knowledge/understanding of the system/various subsystems(like Tome of Battle, Psionics and Incarnum). This is inclusive of race and base class, as well as spells and feats, though core feats can be taken to take a feat or prc online, if need be, but not things like skills(so one could use all the skills, not just whatever is detailed on the site)

To start off, have looked through the archives and found the following Races/Base
Races, with Sources:

Aleithian Dwarf(Mind's Eye)
Baaz(Dragonlance Campaign Setting excerpt, LA+1)
Darfellan(Stormwrack Excerpt)
Deep Imaskari(Underdark excerpt)
Dusklings(Magic of Incarnum excerpt)
Minotaur(Race and class to ECL 8, Savage Species excerpt)
Sharakim(Races of Destiny Excerpt, LA +1)
Spikers(Planar Handbook excerpt)
Uldra(Frostburn excerpt, LA +1)
Whisper Gnome(Races of Stone Excerpt)

Savage Progressions also has Planetouched and Feytouched Savage Species style progressions.

Classes, with sources:

Archivist(HoH Excerpt)
Dragonfire Adept(Dragon Magic Excerpt, only breath effect invocations included)
Knight(PHBII Excerpt)
Marshal(Miniatures Handbook Excerpt)
Psychic Rogue(Mind's Eye Article: Stealthy Classes, Powers, and Feats, Actually listed powers within only carry it to 9th level, though Sardior powers, if rightfully houseruled to just be able to use the Psychic Warrior ones, can take it the rest of the way once access is granted )
Spellthief(Complete Adventurer Excerpt)
Totemist(Magic of Incarnum Excerpt, only able to max out soulmeld binding capacity until level 15, assuming Dragonblooded somehow/knowledge that Dragontouched makes you Dragonblooded)
Warblade(Tome of Battle Excerpt, web enhancement has all of the maneuvers in the form of the maneuver cards)

Spells
Spells can be found in various excerpts, but many can be found in various articles in the Far Corners of the World and Fey Features sections in the Retired Archives list, as well as all of the Spellbook one in the same location.

Not really a super duper innovative challenge, but wanted to see what people on here could come up with, given I've done some stuff in the past, but never got crazy with it.