PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Scythe wielding lycanthrope killer any changes?

FTG72
2017-09-02, 06:19 PM
So my DM is starting a new campaign and I thought it was a perfect time to create the character i'll use for most D&D sessions. I want a Scythe wielding were-beast killer. As of right now i rolled his stats (D&M isn't allowing me to re roll them so XP) and made a basic sheet for him that can be changed up. I made him a changeling race because i thought it'd be cool to play with the minor change shape ability. But that can be changed if there is a better race to use scythes or kill were-beast with. I'm aloud one blood line. And as of right now i'm thinking about trying to make him into a weapon master. His stats are as followed
Str: 13
Dex: 14
Con: 11
Int: 11
Wis: 8
Cha: 9

I know for weapon master you need at least a int of 13 but being a changeling fighter as of rn he can only get it at max level 8 so i figured i'd use my first two ability points on int. But like i said this can be changed up. And his starting two feats i got down is expeditious dodge from the races of the wild and weapon focus scythe.
Any and all help would be most apprenticed. As of the books i'm using. We've got a lot of PDF files that we can use and if we don't have that book we can most likely find it. So please give me the book that it's out of. (no homebrewed stuff )

theboss
2017-09-02, 06:32 PM
Well, you have 66 points and it's usually 75 points . I really don't get why certain groups roll their stats.

FTG72
2017-09-02, 07:27 PM
Well, you have 66 points and it's usually 75 points . I really don't get why certain groups roll their stats.

Well we looked up the rules and it says

"If your scores are too low, you may scrap them and roll all six scores
again. Your scores are considered too low if the sum of your
modifiers (before adjustments because of race) is 0 or lower, or if
your highest score is 13 or lower."

Right out of the players handbook. But the reason we do it is because it adds a layer of randomness and fun. It allows us to take what the dice gave us and work with it.

FTG72
2017-09-03, 12:25 AM
Btw I made a back story for Iain so his Race has to stay the same but I'm willing to do change anything else to make him a better scythe user.

theboss
2017-09-03, 03:54 AM
Well we looked up the rules and it says

"If your scores are too low, you may scrap them and roll all six scores
again. Your scores are considered too low if the sum of your
modifiers (before adjustments because of race) is 0 or lower, or if
your highest score is 13 or lower."

Right out of the players handbook. But the reason we do it is because it adds a layer of randomness and fun. It allows us to take what the dice gave us and work with it.

Unlucky, I hope your DM will allow you to re roll them, since it's gets you far behind than any other character should be.
your total sum of modifires is +1. So I think you should discuss again with your DM again.
If you want to have a melee character you're gonna need more than 13 str and 11 con.
If your character dies on an encounter, you get to roll again the stats? If so, you're starting 1 level behind?
if it is, I think it's better to be 1 level behind than those stats.
For your build, I really don't think you're going to be able to build something solid. since most builds require certain feats and for that certain feats you're going to have certain stats. For example, Weapon master require combat expertise, and this feat requires 13 int, so you won't be able to pick the class untill level 8.

FTG72
2017-09-03, 01:49 PM
Unlucky, I hope your DM will allow you to re roll them, since it's gets you far behind than any other character should be.
your total sum of modifires is +1. So I think you should discuss again with your DM again.
If you want to have a melee character you're gonna need more than 13 str and 11 con.
If your character dies on an encounter, you get to roll again the stats? If so, you're starting 1 level behind?
if it is, I think it's better to be 1 level behind than those stats.
For your build, I really don't think you're going to be able to build something solid. since most builds require certain feats and for that certain feats you're going to have certain stats. For example, Weapon master require combat expertise, and this feat requires 13 int, so you won't be able to pick the class untill level 8.

Actually my over all stats aren't that far behind everyone's else and as for the weapon master anyways. I wouldn't be able to get it until level 8 anyways and that is if i only do Fighters ranks which I was going to add ranger for the favored enemy against lycanthrope and a rank of rogue because that's the changelings favored class and it doesn't count for the exp penalty so i was going to dip in for the sneak attack.

FTG72
2017-09-04, 12:21 PM
Update: I'm changing Ranger to Duskblade for some of their spells that increase my stats as well as some of the damage spells. This way i can make up for having lower stats as well as stay up front in battle helping my teammates. And i'm also adding the Major Storm Giant bloodline as it seems to give the most benefits to my build. With the Power attack and cleave and the increased strength stat at 3rd level and the increase to the Con stat at 9th level.

Yogibear41
2017-09-04, 01:48 PM
But the reason we do it is because it adds a layer of randomness and fun.

Nothing about those scores says fun to me at all. But to each their own.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-05, 01:09 AM
I do appreciate rolling randomly, but the DMS in my area who do it put the reroll minimum at +3 instead of +0. Helps a lot.

That being said if you want duskblade you need your int to be 14 at start. You do not want to lose access to your casting because of bad luck.

FTG72
2017-09-05, 06:14 PM
Well Duskblade is one of three classes i'm taking so i'll be able to increase my int before getting to some of the higher level spells with the stats points you get every 4th level. I think by the time i start duskblade i'll be level 4 so my int will be 11 so i will have access to all the spells they're allowing me to take.

TheIronGolem
2017-09-05, 07:05 PM
If you're going to rely on a two-handed weapon, especially with Power Attack, I'd highly recommend switching those STR and DEX scores.

FTG72
2017-09-07, 05:49 PM
If you're going to rely on a two-handed weapon, especially with Power Attack, I'd highly recommend switching those STR and DEX scores.

I thought about that but with weapon master as my prestige class i'm going for i won't be able to get it at level 9 if i switch them i'd ave to wait to level 17 to get my dex AND my int up to 13

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-07, 06:25 PM
Might I recommend the kensei PrC from Oriental Adventures instead of Sword and Fists Weapon Master? The classes are virtually identical except Kensei requires a masterwork weapon while Weapon Master requires Dex 13.

Also if you go duskblade I would not use either PrC. Grabbing Duskblade 13 is important and then wandering off into a PrC that grants some casting is your best bet.