PDA

View Full Version : Astral Seed, Mind Switch, and Polymorph any Object

mctizic
2017-09-02, 08:52 PM
Here is the question? We killed a Ibrandlin. I Polymorph Any Object on the corpse making it tiny size (permanent effect). I paid to have it Resurrected and then I Dominated the creature. I used the Mind Switch and Astral Seed combo.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralSeed.htm

The party states that the Polymorphed size can still be dispelled since it is a magic effect making the creature tiny. I argued that since it is an exact duplicate of your body at the time you manifested astral seed the size couldn't be dispelled or disjunctioned.

Who's right?

Sagetim
2017-09-02, 09:38 PM
Here is the question? We killed a Ibrandlin. I Polymorph Any Object on the corpse making it tiny size (permanent effect). I paid to have it Resurrected and then I Dominated the creature. I used the Mind Switch and Astral Seed combo.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralSeed.htm

The party states that the Polymorphed size can still be dispelled since it is a magic effect making the creature tiny. I argued that since it is an exact duplicate of your body at the time you manifested astral seed the size couldn't be dispelled or disjunctioned.

Who's right?

The spell is a permanent effect, not an instant effect. Your size is thus a magical effect. This means that in an anti-magic field you would grow back to normal size, for example. The size down can be dispelled as well. Bearing this in mind, these things would indicate that the natural size of the target in question is what Astral Seed would duplicate, not any and all magical effects that may be attached to your body at the time.

The spell's effect are dispellable effects that are attached to the body, not a part of the body itself. For example, if you were buffed to the nines with things like bull's strength, cat's grace, stone skin, and so on and so on, then manifested Astral Seed, you wouldn't grow a body with those active buff spells on it, because they aren't part of the body. Like clothing and equipment, they are 'attached'. You might be able to make the case that inherent bonuses from wishes etc would count, and be carried over. Because those are not permanent effects, but direct modifications to your stats that cannot be dispelled or suppressed. But like various buffing spells that can be made permanent with Permanency, Polymorph Any Object is a dispellable affect attached to your body, not a part of your body.

In a similar vein, it seems like it would come down to a GM ruling if you used Graft Weapon to graft, say, The Sword of Kas to your arm, then Astral Seeded to try and grow your own Sword of Kas when you come back to life. But I think that the best you would get out of that might be growing a mundane sword that looks like the artifact, if you even got away with growing a sword and not just a screwed up looking arm.

mctizic
2017-09-03, 12:20 AM
The spell is a permanent effect, not an instant effect. Your size is thus a magical effect. This means that in an anti-magic field you would grow back to normal size, for example. The size down can be dispelled as well. Bearing this in mind, these things would indicate that the natural size of the target in question is what Astral Seed would duplicate, not any and all magical effects that may be attached to your body at the time.

The spell's effect are dispellable effects that are attached to the body, not a part of the body itself. For example, if you were buffed to the nines with things like bull's strength, cat's grace, stone skin, and so on and so on, then manifested Astral Seed, you wouldn't grow a body with those active buff spells on it, because they aren't part of the body. Like clothing and equipment, they are 'attached'. You might be able to make the case that inherent bonuses from wishes etc would count, and be carried over. Because those are not permanent effects, but direct modifications to your stats that cannot be dispelled or suppressed. But like various buffing spells that can be made permanent with Permanency, Polymorph Any Object is a dispellable affect attached to your body, not a part of your body.

In a similar vein, it seems like it would come down to a GM ruling if you used Graft Weapon to graft, say, The Sword of Kas to your arm, then Astral Seeded to try and grow your own Sword of Kas when you come back to life. But I think that the best you would get out of that might be growing a mundane sword that looks like the artifact, if you even got away with growing a sword and not just a screwed up looking arm.

Is there a difference with using Metamorphosis (Greater), to achieve a new form astral seed and the kill myself?

Sagetim
2017-09-03, 05:15 PM
It has a duration. That's your main problem there. If you want to fancy your way into a new body and don't mind dying to pull it off, Reincarnate or Greater Reincarnate might get you where you are going. But both would require you to, you know, have a Druid friend.

Mind switching, killing your old body to make the change permanent (not permanent duration, there is a difference here) and then using Astral Seed would grant you an Astral Seed of the new body.

If you want to then rez the person you did this horrible action to, well, you'll probably have to spring for a true rez to bring them back with a new copy of their own body.