PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Could a UA mystic be a functional healer?

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-02, 11:48 PM
All we have in the group is two paladins, does anyone think a mystic could fill the healer role with the whatever discipline that gives the cure wounds like ability?

Ventruenox
2017-09-03, 07:37 AM
Depends on the level you play at. Mystic can bypass the gp requirement for Revivify, but a life cleric or bard multiclass will be the superior healer. Between spending HD on a short rest and the Healing Word spell, 5e has less call for a dedicated healer.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-03, 10:25 AM
Depends on the level you play at. Mystic can bypass the gp requirement for Revivify, but a life cleric or bard multiclass will be the superior healer. Between spending HD on a short rest and the Healing Word spell, 5e has less call for a dedicated healer.

We use the rule in the DMG that requires a healers kit for using hit dice. Our need for a healer is slightly greater, i know that bards and clerics are better but if a mystic can do it I'd prefer to be a mystic.

Naanomi
2017-09-03, 10:28 AM
The game doesn't expect much from a 'healer'... honestly the ability to do Restoration-type effects is more important in most games I've played in than he actual healing (though healing word pop-up healing never hurts)

Elastoid
2017-09-03, 01:08 PM

Early levels, Mystic heals are ridiculous. At level 3 you can heal 3d8, at level 5 it's 5d8. A Cleric can heal 2d8 and 3d8 at those levels, respectively. Life Cleric gets more, but Mystic still competes.

It's not till you get better healing spells (like Heal) that the other classes really eclipse the Mystic as a healer.

cZak
2017-09-05, 03:29 PM
Order of the Avatar doesn't apply stat bonus to healing until 6th level.

But the class provides many options besides healing (Psionic restoration)

Mantle of Courage-Aura of Victory provides 2 temp hp/ pp spent for EACH enemy dropped (10... TEN minute duration)

Mantle of Joy-Soothing presence provides 3 temp hp/ pp for up to 3 creatures (once)