PDA

View Full Version : A few ToB questions.

Exarch
2007-08-12, 12:35 AM
Hey y'all, I have a few quick questions about the ToB.

1) Martial Study and Martial Stance. Is it possible to get access to level 2 or 3 Maneuvers before a Martial Adept could if you use all of the Feats? Additionally, a lot of Martial Stances only require 1-3 maneuvers from a school. Is there any reason why a character couldn't take a level 3 Stance or whatnot for their first stance at level...4?

2) The Shadow Hand feat, Shadow Trickster, it states that you receive a +2 damage to Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike, and flanking attack rolls. Does this mean you get a +2 for each attack...or that your sneak attack/sudden strike dice are suddenly damaging between 3-8?

Lastly, would anyone mind throwing a Stone Dragon-heavy build at me? Would be a War Blade, anything is allowed but psionics. I don't need a super optimised build...but I'd appreciate a generally effective one.

MeklorIlavator
2007-08-12, 12:44 AM
1) Martial Study and Martial Stance. Is it possible to get access to level 2 or 3 Maneuvers before a Martial Adept could if you use all of the Feats? Additionally, a lot of Martial Stances only require 1-3 maneuvers from a school. Is there any reason why a character couldn't take a level 3 Stance or whatnot for their first stance at level...4?
No, because you have to have a initiator level high enough to access certain levels. It works like spell levels (using the wizard/cleric/druid model), so your initiator level must be (2x(the level of the stance/maneuver))-1 for you to learn it. Also, unless you are a class from the book, your initiator level is 1/2 your actual level.

Jack Mann
2007-08-12, 01:00 AM
Hey y'all, I have a few quick questions about the ToB.

2) The Shadow Hand feat, Shadow Trickster, it states that you receive a +2 damage to Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike, and flanking attack rolls. Does this mean you get a +2 for each attack...or that your sneak attack/sudden strike dice are suddenly damaging between 3-8?

Lastly, would anyone mind throwing a Stone Dragon-heavy build at me? Would be a War Blade, anything is allowed but psionics. I don't need a super optimised build...but I'd appreciate a generally effective one.

Meklor already answered your first question, so I'll just jump to your second. You get a +2 for the roll. That's the entire roll, including all dice. If they meant per die, they would say per die of damage. They also don't stack for that same reason. The good news is that this damage, since it isn't a dice-based amount, is multiplied on a critical hit. So at least you have that to look forward to.

Can't help you much with your build. I suppose you might look into deepstone sentinel. I must caution you against focusing too heavily on stone dragon, though. It can make it difficult to go after flying creatures. Pick some other maneuvers that work even when you and your opponent aren't on the ground.