PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help Me Pick My Class

Wolfswift
2017-09-03, 08:24 AM
So I am going to be in a game next month, there was talk of allowing gestalting of low tier classes together to make them more viable options, I thought that sounded cool and planned to play a Rogue/Warlock and have some utility spell-like abilities and good skill points and be the party face and still be able to get off eldritch blast sneak attacks and be useful in combat. To be honest, I'm not trying to make a powerful combatant, I want to make a skill monkey/face, but I want to have spells and still be viable in combat.

I previously played another form of this character as a Beguiler, but when it came to combat it was... underwhelming... I considered Bard, it would work as I've been saying he would claim to be a bard(just not that sort of bard) and I'm wondering if there is some other class I'm not thinking of or if there's a prestige class that can make a skill monkey utility caster face work. A roguish mage if you will.

DMVerdandi
2017-09-03, 08:55 AM
So I am going to be in a game next month, there was talk of allowing gestalting of low tier classes together to make them more viable options, I thought that sounded cool and planned to play a Rogue/Warlock and have some utility spell-like abilities and good skill points and be the party face and still be able to get off eldritch blast sneak attacks and be useful in combat. To be honest, I'm not trying to make a powerful combatant, I want to make a skill monkey/face, but I want to have spells and still be viable in combat.

I previously played another form of this character as a Beguiler, but when it came to combat it was... underwhelming... I considered Bard, it would work as I've been saying he would claim to be a bard(just not that sort of bard) and I'm wondering if there is some other class I'm not thinking of or if there's a prestige class that can make a skill monkey utility caster face work. A roguish mage if you will.

Factotum 1/Warblade 19//Binder20

Or alternatively, wizard(Spontaneous divination/Eidetic spellcaster ) 5/war-weaver 5/Incantatrix 10 (lol).
Wear black and carry dagger.

Wolfswift
2017-09-03, 09:01 AM
Factotum 1/Warblade 19//Binder20

Or alternatively, wizard(Spontaneous divination/Eidetic spellcaster ) 5/war-weaver 5/Incantatrix 10 (lol).
Wear black and carry dagger.

I suppose I should note that our DM banned Binder. I know Factotum, I strongly considered it, but would any others of these options grant many class skills or skill points?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-03, 09:40 AM
Unseen Seer?

Exploiting the low-tier gestalting a little bit, rogue 5//warmage 5 into Rainbow Servant, with Craven and Assassin's Stance?

The most potent low-level face is going to be something like changeling rogue/binder//warlock/marshal, which will get you 10+INT skill points at level 1, Minor Change Shape, Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Motivate Charisma (+CHA on charisma checks, so double CHA), Naberius' Disguise Self/Persuasive Words/Silver Tongue, and the Beguiling Influence invocation (+6 Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate). Total Bluff/Diplomacy/Disguise/Gather Information/Intimidate/Sense Motive (with 14 wisdom and 18 charisma) would be +21/+26/+23 (+25 in character)/+13/+23/+9 at level 2 (no Knowledge synergy bonuses, no masterwork tools), with the ability to take 10 at all times, and some checks are extra fast (GI, SM). (I'm just including binder for completeness, it is quite optional.)

tstewt1921
2017-09-03, 02:38 PM
To be honest, I'm not trying to make a powerful combatant, I want to make a skill monkey/face, but I want to have spells and still be viable in combat.

I would go Bard/Warlock. There are a few nifty combos, and Bard makes you more party support/illusion based. Look at prestige classes for bards and what not and find something you like. Warlock would be your offensive side as needed.

Wolfswift
2017-09-03, 06:10 PM
Evidently I was tired this morning, I thought I mentioned the idea of gestalting was shut down, now I need to figure out how to be as good a face as the rogue/warlock idea. So the gestalt option was revoked and my whole reason for asking here was to figure out how to do something similar.

Multiclass, prestige class, something that makes a stealthy skillmonkey spellcaster. I have considered unseen mage and spellwarp sniper previously, I may end up multiclassing Rogue and a decent synergistic spellcasting class.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-03, 06:42 PM
I would suggest Mountebank/Mountebank//Warlock/Hellfire Warlock for a decent face/skillmonkey/mage since the DM banned my usual first choice for Warlock gestalt (Warlock/Hellfire Warlock//Binder/Anima Mage).

Alternately, Soulknife/Warlock with the Mind's Eye stuff could be cool for a more combat-oriented build

Anthrowhale
2017-09-03, 09:09 PM
Beguiler gives good skills and the enchantment focus can work well in a face.

Sha'ir is Charisma focused and has access to {Diplomacy,Bluff,Sense Motive}.

Arcane Trickster is the canonical Rogue/Arcane theurge. The prerequisite can be satisfied by martial study[Assassin's Stance] although that becomes available only after level 10 with no initiator levels.

Unseen Seer is mostly a better theurge. Something like a Rogue 1/{Sha'ir or Beguiler} 4/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 5 could work as a face/caster/sneak attacker.