PDA

View Full Version : Spell picking advice

dnd2016
2017-09-03, 08:33 AM
Almost 10th level lore Bard here. Looking for advice on 10th level magical secret pics. Haven't played in a while so I might be a little rusty on spell picks. 18 Dex, 18 charisma, Ac17,with resilient, mainly using Battlefield control spells and debuffs while attacking with xbow. Sometimes going into melee with a shield casting green flame blade or booming blade.

I like: wall of force. Bigby's hand.spiritual weapon. Spirit Guardians.fireball.destructive eave.......thoughts?

ghost_warlock
2017-09-03, 09:33 AM
I like destruction wave and Bigby's hand.

Destruction wave is a good "nuke" that's party friendly. Bibgy's hand has a lot of in- and out-of-combat utility. Should be solid choices.

90sMusic
2017-09-03, 09:42 AM
I know this isn't really what you're looking for, but I always love getting the paladin spell Find Steed. The horse is smart, can take it's own turns in combat, you can talk to it telepathically. It'll give you a readily available mount at all times, even in combat. You can run away from enemies faster than they can possibly hope to catch up to you to keep yourself safe.

There is a lot of cool stuff you can do with find steed. Bonus points if you're a gnome or halfling and use a dog mount.

Solunaris
2017-09-03, 09:44 AM
Wall of Force is one of my favorite 5th level spells just because it shuts so many things down. Destructive wave and Spiritual Guardians are nice, but only if you tend to find yourself in the thick of melee often since they are limited to the immediate area around you. Oh, and Spiritual Weapon is kinda crap compared to Bigby's Hand; that spell is amazing

Specter
2017-09-03, 10:39 AM
AoE? Conjure Volley.
Control? Wall of Stone/Force.
Information? Arcane Eye/Scrying.
Raw damage? Swift Quiver.
Buffing? Circle of Power.

Can't go wrong.

DarkKnightJin
2017-09-03, 04:06 PM
If you're considering Spiritual Weapon or Bigby's Hand, I'd grab Bigby's Hand.
Sure, it's a higher level spell, but it's got more power and versatility. And I'm fairly certain that's what a Bard want out of the spells they pilfer for their Secrets.

SharkForce
2017-09-03, 05:46 PM
If you're considering Spiritual Weapon or Bigby's Hand, I'd grab Bigby's Hand.
Sure, it's a higher level spell, but it's got more power and versatility. And I'm fairly certain that's what a Bard want out of the spells they pilfer for their Secrets.

spiritual weapon is no-concentration though, which is pretty nice in its own way.

Citan
2017-09-03, 05:53 PM
Almost 10th level lore Bard here. Looking for advice on 10th level magical secret pics. Haven't played in a while so I might be a little rusty on spell picks. 18 Dex, 18 charisma, Ac17,with resilient, mainly using Battlefield control spells and debuffs while attacking with xbow. Sometimes going into melee with a shield casting green flame blade or booming blade.

I like: wall of force. Bigby's hand.spiritual weapon. Spirit Guardians.fireball.destructive eave.......thoughts?
Well, there are plenty of great spells. Depends on what you are looking for.

AOE? Fireball and Cone of Cold are great, Sleet Storm has additional benefits, Wall of Fire can be used creatively.

Buffs? Look no further than Circle of Power (Paladin's 5th level exclusive). You do need to be close to front line, but you won't get any better than that (for that level).

Utility? Any Wall can be good, as well as Conjure spell.

Versatile? Bigby's Hand is a top choice.

dnd2016
2017-09-04, 04:47 PM
Yes. Bigbys no brainer. For 2nd, Love destructive wave for friendly aoe plus prone. But hesitant to jump into melee at such a high level