Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
Melcar’s Omniscience heightens the caster’s five natural senses to an extreme degree, allowing a greatly enhanced sense of awareness of the recipient’s environment. The target gains a +1 bonus per level of the caster to any rolls involving perception (Spot, Listen, and Search). No specific sense is enhanced above the others; each is augmented in such a way that it complements the others to produce a state of heightened awareness. Sudden lights, noises, or other sensory distractions will have an exaggerated effect, but not to a debilitating degree.
Material Component: A small piece of clear quarts.

I want to know what you guys think. It it too powerful - as in terms of any abuse I might be missing. Also, does the level fit?

Thanks

Westhart
2017-09-03, 09:39 AM
Well, I would say it is a tad too Op... +1 to checks/level.... maybe per 2 levels (cuts it down to +10 on multiple checks which may still be too powerful) and I would make it
Level: Bard 4, Sor/Wiz 5

I think it is nice, just a tad powerful (especially if you throw custom items in the mix).

rferries
2017-09-03, 11:28 AM
Melcar’s Omniscience
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
Melcar’s Omniscience heightens the caster’s five natural senses to an extreme degree, allowing a greatly enhanced sense of awareness of the recipient’s environment. The target gains a +1 bonus per level of the caster to any rolls involving perception (Spot, Listen, and Search). No specific sense is enhanced above the others; each is augmented in such a way that it complements the others to produce a state of heightened awareness. Sudden lights, noises, or other sensory distractions will have an exaggerated effect, but not to a debilitating degree.
Material Component: A small piece of clear quarts.

I want to know what you guys think. It it too powerful - as in terms of any abuse I might be missing. Also, does the level fit?

Thanks

Well, I would say it is a tad too Op... +1 to checks/level.... maybe per 2 levels (cuts it down to +10 on multiple checks which may still be too powerful) and I would make it
Level: Bard 4, Sor/Wiz 5

I think it is nice, just a tad powerful (especially if you throw custom items in the mix).

The obvious comparisons are:

knock (auto-succeed on one or two Open Lock checks, Sor/Wiz 2)
glibness (+30 Bluff for 10 min/level, Bard 3 (equivalent of Sor/Wiz 4))
jump (+30 Jump for 1 min/level, Sor/Wiz 1)

Unlike the above examples, your spell doesn't guarantee success - without a Wis/Int bonus (only wizards have one, and only for Search) or ranks in the skills (all are cross-class for Sor/Wiz), you'll be slightly behind anyone who's been maxing the skills out. You won't reach a +30 bonus on the checks until epic level. Your chances of beating a check are probably still pretty good though...

As noted, you gain the bonus on multiple skills rather than just one.

Furthermore, the duration is one hour/level - very nice!

I'd agree that it's pretty powerful - maybe the upper limit of Sor/Wiz 4 but could also stand to be bumped up a level. Think of it as a long-lasting version of true seeing that counters non-magical deceptions.

Darth Ultron
2017-09-03, 03:12 PM
The spell is not so bad for a Wizard type, who most often won't have Perception (spot and listen) as class skills with lots of ranks. But it gets to be a problem for any other class. Maybe make the bonus Enhancement so it does not stack. The spell is kind related to the basic ability spells.

Melcar
2017-09-06, 03:51 AM
First off... thank you for your answers. There are highly appreciated and will all be taken into consideration.

I know the spell might be right on the edge, but I reached the number of +1/ CL after I did some few calculations.

A level 20 human rogue, who has optimized hide/ move silent, will be in the vicinity of +55 to the skill checks (23 ranks, +12 dex, +2 stealthy, +3 skill focus, +15 item) . A wizard, who for some reason dedicated the same amount of optimization to spot and listen (which I honestly think would be weird, but for the sake of this argument, lets assume that), would have about +60 (11 ranks, +9 wis, alertness, skill focus (spot), and a +15 item, +20 from this spell.) Now that is better than the rogue, but its more likely that the wizard has +51 (11 ranks, +5 wis, +15 item, + this spell).

So this spell in the current form seems to equal out the playing field, giving the wizard about a 50/50 chance of spotting the rogue, instead of a very little chance...

I also compared it to Dragonsight, which gives lowlight vision x4, darkvision and blindsense in a very large area. Dragonsight is level 5 and has a 1 hour/level duration too.

Would you guys say this spell is as powerful, or has the same utility as Dragonsight - there were some suggestions about making it level 5?

Thanks again for your comments and thoughts, they are hugely welcome!

nonsi
2017-09-06, 05:03 AM
Dragonsight is more useful in terms of situations and in terms of granting additional perception capabilities.
I'd add Sense Motive w/o hesitation.

[EDIT]: keep it 4th level.

Melcar
2017-09-08, 06:06 AM
Thank you for your answers!

You have all been very helpful. I think I'm going to try to research it ingame in its current form.

Again thank you for your help!