PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Bard Feat: Enchanted performance

Evoker
2017-09-03, 09:17 AM
Feat: Enchanted performance

Prerequisites: bardic music ability, able to cast arcane spells, 5+ ranks in perform

Effect: You can imbue a mind-affecting or sonic spell into a performance. First, you must choose the spell. the spell must have one or both of the descriptors [sonic] or [mind affecting]. Then, spend a use of bardic magic to begin a performance. the performance must last 1 minute/spell level, or 30 seconds for a 0-level spell. At the conclusion of the performance, make a perform check(DC 15+spell level). If you succeed, when targeting creatures that were present the entirety of the performance, the spell's saving throw is increased by 1 for every 2 points you beat the perform check by(Minimum 1). In addition, the caster level of the spell is increased by 1 if you beat the DC by 10 or more. If you fail the perform check, than the spell slot is wasted.

I would love feedback, and would like it if you could point out potential balance issues.

Westhart
2017-09-03, 09:36 AM
Feat: Enchanted performance

Prerequisites: bardic music ability, able to cast arcane spells, 5+ ranks in perform

Effect: You can imbue a mind-affecting or sonic spell into a performance. First, you must choose the spell. the spell must have one or both of the descriptors [sonic] or [mind affecting]. Then, spend a use of bardic magic to begin a performance. the performance must last 1 minute/spell level, or 30 seconds for a 0-level spell. At the conclusion of the performance, make a perform check(DC 15+spell level). If you succeed, when targeting creatures that were present the entirety of the performance, the spell's saving throw is increased by 1 for every 2 points you beat the perform check by(Minimum 1). In addition, the caster level of the spell is increased by 1 if you beat the DC by 10 or more. If you fail the perform check, than the spell slot is wasted.

I would love feedback, and would like it if you could point out potential balance issues.
This looks interesting, but might change it o the DC increase is every 4 points and CL is 6... also might add something saying that the spell is worked into the performance and thus attempts to identify the spell with spellcraft suffer a -10(?) penalty. Also I might suggest making it just bard spells, although I personally do not have a problem with it.

Very Nice!

rferries
2017-09-03, 11:37 AM
For a performance of one minute/spell level, this isn't quite suitable for combat. What do you see a bard casting with this feat? Surreptitious suggestion/charm spells on the audience in a tavern/court? I feel like the feat becomes redundant once they gain access to the suggestion/mass suggestion bardic music abilities.

Kaskus
2017-09-03, 12:13 PM
What about using basic performance to apply / pay for metamagic? As described, it is sort of like Heighten Spell at +1. You would just need to determine a DC to enhancement ratio.

Evoker
2017-09-03, 01:34 PM
For a performance of one minute/spell level, this isn't quite suitable for combat. What do you see a bard casting with this feat? Surreptitious suggestion/charm spells on the audience in a tavern/court? I feel like the feat becomes redundant once they gain access to the suggestion/mass suggestion bardic music abilities.

Yeah, pretty much. I was thinking that a surprise attack might be viable.

Darth Ultron
2017-09-03, 03:09 PM
I don't see much of a balance problem. The several minutes to use the ability make it more of an out of combat ability. And a small bonus to saves is not a big deal.