PDA

View Full Version : Captain America (spoilers)

Rob Knotts
2007-08-12, 01:21 AM
CBR News:Steve Sadowski, Jim Krueger, and Alex Ross are the team bringing Captain America back for Marvel. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=11573)

http://images.comicbookresources.com/cons/wwc2007/marvel/cupojoe/THE-RETURN_sm.jpg

kpenguin
2007-08-12, 01:22 AM
NO! Just no... If his death means anything to you people over at Marvel, let Cap stay dead for a year at least.

Rob Knotts
2007-08-12, 01:31 AM
For all we know right now it could be AT LEAST another year before we see this. Off the top of my head, I'd guess the soonest we'll see this is summer 2008.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-12, 02:14 AM
It's quite possible it will just be another person just wearing the same costume.

Which while silly, at least lets the dead rest in piece.

Green Bean
2007-08-12, 03:30 AM
Where's Scarlet Witch when you need her. :smallamused:

Witchhunter
2007-08-12, 08:40 PM
Joe Q said in an interview at Comic Con that on his schedule of events for the Marvel Universe...he doesn't have anything about Captain America returning for another year and a half at least.

I suppose that this could be an outright lie, but I don't think so. It's just not Joe Q's style. My guess is that it might be a re-imagining of Cap's return after World War II. Or an alternate universe thing, like Earth X.

My two cents.

First post, BTW!

new1965
2007-08-12, 09:19 PM
Actually, If you look at the whole picture and just not Cap..

...it looks like its heralding the return of the Invaders

Thats the original Human Touch in the background, Namor's arm on the left, and Bucky's glove on the right. It sort of makes sense since they are all active now

horseboy
2007-08-14, 12:29 AM

Thats the original Human Touch in the background, Namor's arm on the left, and Bucky's glove on the right. It sort of makes sense since they are all active now

Hehehe. With US Agent filling His spot. What ever happened to him, anyways?

Logic
2007-08-14, 12:54 AM
Hehehe. With US Agent filling His spot. What ever happened to him, anyways?

He joined the Canadian version of the Avengers (Alpha Flight?). Right after Civil War.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-08-14, 05:39 AM
He joined the Canadian version of the Avengers (Alpha Flight?). Right after Civil War.

Yup. Which seriously gives me headaches when I try to figure out how US Agent is on a Canadian team. I'd love to know how they explain that in the comics.

TheOtherMC
2007-08-14, 09:55 AM
Yup. Which seriously gives me headaches when I try to figure out how US Agent is on a Canadian team. I'd love to know how they explain that in the comics.

A Skrull did it... :smallbiggrin:

Stam
2007-08-14, 10:03 AM
Wait...Bucky is back? When did I miss this??

TheOtherMC
2007-08-14, 10:13 AM
Wait...Bucky is back? When did I miss this??

Yeah, but we call him "Winter Soldier" now a days...

new1965
2007-08-14, 11:19 AM

It looks like I was right http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=11597

2007-08-14, 12:26 PM
Gay.

Let Cap stay dead.

Rob Knotts
2007-08-14, 12:31 PM
It looks like I was right http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=11597Here ya go:http://www.ornl.gov/~ncsgroup/whos/images/cookie.gif

:smallbiggrin:

new1965
2007-08-14, 12:32 PM
Gay.

Let Cap stay dead.

He is dead. Those are the Invaders from the 1940's

2007-08-14, 12:41 PM
He is dead. Those are the Invaders from the 1940's

But every one of them, except robot torch, is still around and active.

new1965
2007-08-14, 12:49 PM
But every one of them, except robot torch, is still around and active.

I know... I thought is was the modern day reunion initially but Alex Ross is quoted saying that they are from the 40's

talsine
2007-08-14, 01:05 PM
i love the invaders, not newer team with Flat man, that was some terrible storytelling right there, but the origonal, as it has my two favorite marvel characters in it. (Thats the origonal Human Torch and Namor, just fyi) and while i wish Alex Ross didn't have anything to do with it, maybe it'll be good. I hope so, since Ross hasn't made anything worth reading since Kingdom Come...

new1965
2007-08-14, 01:48 PM
i love the invaders, not newer team with Flat man, that was some terrible storytelling right there, but the origonal, as it has my two favorite marvel characters in it. (Thats the origonal Human Torch and Namor, just fyi) and while i wish Alex Ross didn't have anything to do with it, maybe it'll be good. I hope so, since Ross hasn't made anything worth reading since Kingdom Come...

You didn't like Astro City?

Grod_The_Giant
2007-08-17, 10:20 PM
Gay.

Let Cap stay dead.

so you're in favor of Marvel killing the one hero who always acted like a hero, who was the hero other heroes look up to, who could have been president just by saying "I'm running," the most charismatic, public-loved, hero in the entire Marvel Universe? The guy who's like Superman without the obscene powers? You want his end to be 'gunned down by a random sniper after being publicly disgraced'?

Logic
2007-08-18, 01:31 AM
so you're in favor of Marvel killing the one hero who always acted like a hero, who was the hero other heroes look up to, who could have been president just by saying "I'm running," the most charismatic, public-loved, hero in the entire Marvel Universe? The guy who's like Superman without the obscene powers? You want his end to be 'gunned down by a random sniper after being publicly disgraced'?

Add to the fact that he didn't even get a chance to explain his actions to the people he had sworn to protect.

kpenguin
2007-08-18, 01:37 AM
If Cap (I mean Modern Cap, not WWII Cap) does come back, I hope he will do so in a after the public realizes what a hero he was. I also hope someone starts hallucinating that Cap is appearing to guide them.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about this. I would have preferred to see a series on the Invaders in the 1940s. Events with time travel rarely end well.

Selrahc
2007-08-19, 04:28 AM
You want his end to be 'gunned down by a random sniper after being publicly disgraced'?

Crossbones has been an enemy of the Captain for years. Decades even. He was one of the staple villains on Caps solo series's. He hardly qualifies as "A random sniper". Aside from tat, the whole thing was a vast plot by the Red Skull, Captain Americas number 1 archnemesis. And aside from that, there are hints that there was a vast conspiracy put into place, to get him into that situation of public disgrace, to make his final defeat even more satisfying.

It wasn't some random guy with a gun.

psycojester
2007-08-19, 09:14 AM

No you're right its much better for his death to be rendered completely meaningless by his returning from the dead in some convoluted cash-driven cross-over event before the entire thing is retconned out of existence. THAT is clearly the best way to handle the death of an iconic character.

Ozymandias
2007-08-19, 04:59 PM
Honestly, I really am not a fan of Captain America pulling a Lincoln in the first place. Any plot heavily influence by a Walt Whitman poem is suspect to me.

Pokemaster
2007-08-19, 05:15 PM

He didn't have a MySpace account and he didn't watch NASCAR. Clearly, he had it coming.

Gundato
2007-08-19, 06:54 PM
Personally, I feel that this completely random and somewhat BS-y death is the perfect end for Cap. Think about it, this guy is pretty much the paragon of what it means to be a superhero. No matter what, his death will be topped by someone else down the line ("Ha, it took five more blackholes to kill GENERIC SUPERHERO NUMBER EIGHT than it did to kill Captain America!"). So why not give him a realistic death that hits home on the real consequences of the Civil War (spend so much time beating up on the other heros, who was left watching the supervillains)?

Om
2007-08-21, 03:21 PM
So why not give him a realistic death that hits home on the real consequences of the Civil War (spend so much time beating up on the other heros, who was left watching the supervillains)?Because then Marvel wouldn't be making any money off him.

Tekraen
2007-08-21, 03:28 PM
He didn't have a MySpace account and he didn't watch NASCAR. Clearly, he had it coming.

...I don't have a MySpace and I don't watch NASCAR...

*starts watching the rooftops*