PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Who is the voice in my dreams? Playing Aasimar.

Gydian
2017-09-03, 12:16 PM
I am playing an aasimar wild magic sorcerer and I'm trying to pick an angelic guide. I can't find much info on the guides. I need help picking one.

Naanomi
2017-09-03, 01:23 PM
The 'guardian' fluff is new to 5e (or maybe 4e? I didn't follow that edition) so we don't have a lot of history to draw on... but I imagine any celestial could fill the role... an angel proper, but also maybe an archon, eladrin, guardinal... a coatl or Kirin perhaps...

I would just make up a name and personality, I suspect the 'officially named' celestials have better things to do with their time than babysit a planetouched

Sariel Vailo
2017-09-03, 01:44 PM
Yeahp this makes sense

Spore
2017-09-03, 02:40 PM
As for the monster manual there are just three angel types - and I strongly suggest angels. Dreaming of angels has a long history in stories amongst the ages, so in that case I would just say "angel" without picking stats. Angels are "shards of the divine essence of a benevolent god" so it is probably just a speck of divine essence with a sentience that guides you.

Millstone85
2017-09-03, 04:17 PM
VGtM says your angelic guide is most likely a deva. And going by the angels of the MM, that makes sense.

Devas are messengers, who sometimes spend years disguised among mortals. They should have the least difficulty understanding your earthly concerns.

Meanwhile, I can see a planetar standing at Eden's gates with a flaming sword, or bringing the Plagues to Egypt. Maybe if you are a scourge aasimar, this could be your guide.

As for the 24 solars, they are practically gods and probably meet Naanomi's "have better things to do".

Toofey
2017-09-03, 07:57 PM
I would go the other direction and pick the lowest tier lantern acheron, some celestial who's proving his bones and who is just as inexperienced (in comparison to his peers) as your starting character, it'll be fun!

Gydian
2017-09-03, 08:20 PM
Sounds like fairy god parents.

Naanomi
2017-09-03, 09:29 PM
I would go the other direction and pick the lowest tier lantern acheron, some celestial who's proving his bones and who is just as inexperienced (in comparison to his peers) as your starting character, it'll be fun!
I agree that low rank types would be the best fit... a lantern archon or coure eladrin... a guardinal 'matching' your class would work as well