PDA

View Full Version : Books about Atlantis

Thrudd
2017-09-03, 02:45 PM
Random question - Has anyone read or heard of any novels where Plato's descriptions of Atlantis are treated in a literal or close to literal manner, or at least address all of the descriptions in Critias in some form? The layout, the location, the war with a lost pre-historic Athenian civilization?

I know there are no end to novels and settings which have some treatment of Atlantis - but those I'm familiar with do not take Critias so literally, rather using the general concept of a lost/destroyed civilization or continent or island, either magical or more plausible historical version like Thera, or an advanced precursor city that was transported to another galaxy (that's a pretty good one). Yes, I've seen "10,000 BC" - you could argue that the city they go to might be an Atlantis analogue.

Rampionzel
2017-09-04, 11:37 AM
Honestly, the only book I've found that captures all of what you're asking is Atlantis: The Antediluvian World by Ignatius Donnelly, which you may have already read. Meet Me in Atlantis by Mark Adams is another really cool non-fiction book.

For scifi (that doesn't strictly adhere to Critias but at least tries to address it), I'd recommend Decipher by Stel Pavlou. Pretty awesome adventure story with a summer blockbuster movie feel, and has a lot of interesting science thrown in.

Thrudd
2017-09-04, 08:17 PM
Honestly, the only book I've found that captures all of what you're asking is Atlantis: The Antediluvian World by Ignatius Donnelly, which you may have already read. Meet Me in Atlantis by Mark Adams is another really cool non-fiction book.

For scifi (that doesn't strictly adhere to Critias but at least tries to address it), I'd recommend Decipher by Stel Pavlou. Pretty awesome adventure story with a summer blockbuster movie feel, and has a lot of interesting science thrown in.

I'm pretty familiar with the various non-fiction explorations of the subject. I was thinking along the lines of an alternate prehistory/speculative fiction which depicts a world of 10,000-ish BC featuring Atlantis and maybe other pre-history myths and precursor cultures from around the world, engaging in a bit of euhemerism with a sci-fi flair, maybe.

Sermil
2017-09-04, 09:04 PM
If you're looking for alternate pre-history in 10,000BC, have you read The Magic Goes Away and The Burning City by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle? The Burning City is set in the Los Angeles area right after the sinking of Atlantis; appropriately for LA (http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/02/us/los-angeles-wildfire/index.html), there's a sleeping fire god who sometimes wakes up and causes everything to burn.

There's a whole series set in that time frame. I don't know if any are set on Atlantis proper, but they are set around that time frame.

Thrudd
2017-09-04, 09:49 PM
If you're looking for alternate pre-history in 10,000BC, have you read The Magic Goes Away and The Burning City by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle? The Burning City is set in the Los Angeles area right after the sinking of Atlantis; appropriately for LA (http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/02/us/los-angeles-wildfire/index.html), there's a sleeping fire god who sometimes wakes up and causes everything to burn.

There's a whole series set in that time frame. I don't know if any are set on Atlantis proper, but they are set around that time frame.

Yes, I own The Magic Goes Away and I've read Burning City, but not the sequels yet.

I'm really asking because I've got an idea and I don't want to retread closely over something that's already been done. Magic Goes Away is more straight up fantasy, and would be a very different setting than what I'm thinking, so I'm not worried about that.