PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Metamagic feat: Disguised spell

Evoker
2017-09-03, 03:03 PM
Feat: Disuised Spell [Metamagic]
You can disguise your spells as other spells.
Benefit: You can cast a spell disguised as another spell. This raises the DC of spellcraft checks to identify the spell by 5, and if the check fails, they believe that it is another spell of your choosing. The spell must be one you can cast. Some situations may spoil the effect EG: disguising a spell that you have already been casting for 3 rounds as a spell with a 1 round casting time. The disguised spell takes up a spell slot 1 level higher than the spell's actual level.

Comments and suggestions about balance level welcome.

Magikeeper
2017-09-03, 03:22 PM
"Disguise Spell" already exists (in Complete Adventurer). Granted, that's not exactly the same as "Disguised Spell" but you still might want to tweak the name.

There's also the False Theurgy skill trick, which makes it look like you're casting a different spell than you really are.

Now, as for this feat: How do you describe it working in practice? Like, if I try to make haste look like a fireball, does that automatically fail? What if I sub a spell that does cold damage for a spell that does fire damage?

I think the metamagic would be more useful if it specifically let you alter the verbal, somatic, and non-costly material components to look more like the components of a different spell with the same casting time and type of components. Then remove the blanket "this might not work" from the description.

Evoker
2017-09-03, 03:33 PM
What I meint by this might not work is that a smart opponent given clues might be able to figure out that it's not actually what you're trying to convince him that it is. Spell craft would still report that it's a fireball, but logic could prove that it can't possibly be that spell if the casting time has been going on too long.

Magikeeper
2017-09-03, 07:32 PM
What I meint by this might not work is that a smart opponent given clues might be able to figure out that it's not actually what you're trying to convince him that it is. Spell craft would still report that it's a fireball, but logic could prove that it can't possibly be that spell if the casting time has been going on too long.

If someone's using the elder giant magic feat they could, in fact, spend 3 rounds casting a fireball. :P

Eh, maybe the wording isn't as vague as I thought it was. I suppose the real test is to have a bunch of random players and DMs try to use it.

I don't see an issue power-wise (it's a little weak if anything), the only concern would be whether it's liable to confuse players/DMs or not.