PDA

View Full Version : Would a version of mirror image that worked on other people (with limits) be balanced

Rfkannen
2017-09-03, 03:23 PM
So I asked my dm if I could have a version of mirror image where I can cast it on other people but only 2 images appear for my warlock and you could only have 1 instance of it up at a time, and she said yes.

Just want to make sure with you guys, would this be balanced? Anything else I should change to make sure it isn't gamebreaking? I mostly just wanted a non concentration buff spell I could cast for my warlock. Anything you would do different?

Lombra
2017-09-03, 04:53 PM
I believe that it should at least require concentration. Buff stacking is very limited and powerful when happens in this edition.

But if during the game you all feel that it is ok then no problem. Make it so that the previous casting ends when you cast it on a different target, I guess that you ask it mostly to keep Hex and the buff on at the same time, significantly more powerful in my opinion, but then again, in your games it may turn out to be perfectly fair.

MrStabby
2017-09-03, 08:13 PM
I agree it is potentially powerful but I don't think this is a big deal. Sure a warlock could use multiples simultaneously but for the first 10 levels never more than two copies of the spell at once (without multiclassing).

The other thing is that it makes other people more awesome. In terms of enhancing fun at the table it could be a plus.

SharkForce
2017-09-03, 09:31 PM
mirror image is pretty good, but i don't think it would be gamebreaking. the images don't last very long...

Kane0
2017-09-03, 09:45 PM
Would be pretty easy to add this functionality as an upcasting option.

At Higher levels:
When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you create an additional duplicate for each slot level above 2nd. These additional duplicates offer no increased benefit to yourself but can be given to an ally you touch.

Or something like that. Worst case scenario a warlock can cast it to give himself and one ally he touches three images each using a 5th level slot.

bid
2017-09-03, 10:28 PM
Mirror image is best on high Dex / no armor characters. A rogue AT-7 will love it, for instance.

I don't think there are too many cases where you can spam it, but making it concentration to limit it seems fair. Invisibility is 2nd slot with range: touch, mirror image should be ok with the same range.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-09-05, 12:37 AM
As long as the limits are strong enough. Probably either make it concentration or increase the spell level and definitely don't make the range more than Touch.