PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Knowledge Domain only for good guys in Eberron?

Deathacation
2017-09-03, 05:23 PM
I'm playing a 'knowledge is power' themed Rouge/Assassin/Duskblade in 3.5 set in Eberron.

I have Knowledge Devotion and what to max it out by taking Arcane Disciple & Lore of the Gods.

Arcane Disciple: Choose a deity, and then select a domain available to clerics of that deity. You can learn to cast the spells associated with that domain as arcane spells. Prerequisite: Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks, able to cast arcane spells, alignment matches your deity's alignment.

Lore of the Gods: +5 insight bonus on all Knowledge checks. If you worship a deity who grants access to the Knowledge domain, the bonus is +10 rather than +5—even if you did not choose that domain.

From what I can find, the ONLY way to get this +10 is worship Aureon, correct?

I'm not playing a strictly evil assassin and Eberron is lax on alignment in general but but someone like the Shadow seems like a better fit thematically. The theme of the character is a skilled Changeling, Rouge/Assassin with a fascination with knowledge and magic, who belives a knife in the right man's back can do more good than two dozen righteous paladins but is also conflicted if he just tells himself that to justify is own actions.

Thanks everyone! 1st time poster, long time lurker. Never play clerics or religious characters so thanks for the help in this unfamiliar area.

Venger
2017-09-03, 07:53 PM
You can worship Aureon and be any alignment. If mechanically you need to worship the Shadow, you can always take heretic of the faith and change one of his domains to knowledge.

The Viscount
2017-09-03, 07:59 PM
I believe that for the purposes of things that describe a deity, you can use the sovereign host as one entity, like how clerics can worship the whole sovereign host while being of any alignment. In strict Eberron, Aureon does seem the only way to get the Knowledge Domain.

There is another option I have found. The cult of Belial does grant the Knowledge domain. The only thing is, I'm not sure that there's anything saying whether or not Belial, or any of the lords of the nine exist in Eberron. If that seems acceptable to you, it's an option.

Deathacation
2017-09-03, 08:05 PM
For Arcane Disciple, "alignment matches your deity's alignment."

Venger
2017-09-03, 09:00 PM
I believe that for the purposes of things that describe a deity, you can use the sovereign host as one entity, like how clerics can worship the whole sovereign host while being of any alignment. In strict Eberron, Aureon does seem the only way to get the Knowledge Domain.

There is another option I have found. The cult of Belial does grant the Knowledge domain. The only thing is, I'm not sure that there's anything saying whether or not Belial, or any of the lords of the nine exist in Eberron. If that seems acceptable to you, it's an option.

Yes, that is correct.

White Blade
2017-09-03, 10:30 PM
Keepers of the Restful Watch worship both the Keeper and Aureon, so they (should) get both domains. It never clarifies what alignment the sect is but Aureon has the Law domain and the Keeper has the Evil one, so it's probably Lawful Evil. I'm not certain that will fly, but it seems worth running by your DM.

Deathacation
2017-09-03, 10:34 PM
The DM is very lax when you have a character reason for doing something. But harsh when he sees the power gaming potential. I told him this feat was OP. He said I was wrong and challenged me to take it.

Deathacation
2017-09-03, 10:35 PM
You all are great btw. Loving all the advice.

Venger
2017-09-03, 10:53 PM
it's not an overpowered feat. go for it and enjoy.

White Blade
2017-09-03, 11:02 PM
Sul Khatesh is the Overlord (Rakshasa Rajah) of Secrets, detailed in Dragon #337, and she grants Magic and Knowledge domains and is lawful evil. But since she is a known embodiment of pure evil, worshipping her might be a little... Sketchy.

Worshipping the Restful Watch means you believe in preserving the souls of mighty heroes for the day of tribulation, and is amicable as a religious belief but maybe a poor fit of an assassin's worldview.

Worshipping Sul Khatesh means, at the LEAST, there is no door you won't open and no path you won't walk to learn the truth. You worship inspiration and insight at any price. But it's probably a lot closer to Justice League Unlimited's Luthor's relationship to Brainiac. To be more pessimistic you're an apocalyptic cultist of the devil, longing for the release of a devil bound in hell itself by a holy fire fueled by the souls of angels desperate enough to die to bind them.

Deathacation
2017-09-03, 11:05 PM
>Justice League Unlimited's Luthor's relationship to Brainiac

Man that was a great f%$#ing show.

Deathacation
2017-09-04, 03:27 AM
Sul Khatesh is the Overlord (Rakshasa Rajah) of Secrets, detailed in Dragon #337, and she grants Magic and Knowledge domains and is lawful evil. But since she is a known embodiment of pure evil, worshipping her might be a little... Sketchy.

Worshipping the Restful Watch means you believe in preserving the souls of mighty heroes for the day of tribulation, and is amicable as a religious belief but maybe a poor fit of an assassin's worldview.

Worshipping Sul Khatesh means, at the LEAST, there is no door you won't open and no path you won't walk to learn the truth. You worship inspiration and insight at any price. But it's probably a lot closer to Justice League Unlimited's Luthor's relationship to Brainiac. To be more pessimistic you're an apocalyptic cultist of the devil, longing for the release of a devil bound in hell itself by a holy fire fueled by the souls of angels desperate enough to die to bind them.

What book is the Restful Watch from? Can't seem to find them.

White Blade
2017-09-04, 08:20 AM
What book is the Restful Watch from? Can't seem to find them.

They're mentioned in Faiths of Eberron pg. 28. "A sect known as the Restful Watch ties the worship of Aureon to the Keeper, claiming that the Keeper seeks only to preserve great souls for the future."