PDA

View Full Version : Player Help A very suboptimal build: the Halfling Gladiator Barbarian

polymphus
2017-09-03, 06:36 PM
Hey all,

Recently I was messing around with a 5e character creator, and I came up with a concept that looks fun as hell but uh ... less than optimal. I noticed the Trident is a decent versatile weapon that can also be thrown on Strength -- it's uniquely versatile. Combine that with a net for flavour, and the barbarian's bare-chested ferocity and you've got a tough nugget to deal with.

Do y'all think there's any way to make it work? It doesn't need to be the ultimate optimised build, it just needs to be viable and not a hindrance on the party.

Race: Stout Halfling
Background: Gladiator
Skill Profs: Athletics, Acrobatics, Intimidation, Performance
Preferred Equipment: Trident/Net
Primal Path: Berserker
Standard Array: Str14 (final: 24) , Dex12 (f:14), Con15 (f:24), Int8, Wis10, Cha13
ASIs: +6Str, , +4Con

Background: captured by slavers and forced to fight in the arena, our little halfling proved themselves actually pretty good at it. After five years they managed to buy their own freedom and now seek to put their newfound biceps to good use.

---

My hope is that high Strength and Rage damage + easy access to Advantage can offset the relatively low base damage of the Trident, and Reckless Attack can make it actually a viable throwing attack up to 60 feet. Reckless Attack actually gives you decent reach in a pinch since it counteracts the long-range penalty, and the net gives you another source of easy advantage.

Path of the Berserker is objectively worse than the Totem Warrior, but it works much better with the flavour. Keep in mind you don't have to Frenzy when you rage -- you choose to. You can rage normally, then Frenzy for big climatic fights. It's still not amazing, but I can't justify totem warrior with the background.

Would this character be a drag on the party? I'm in love with the concept and I don't mind if I'm not THE BEST, but I don't want to annoy the party or let them down.

Tessman the 2nd
2017-09-03, 07:15 PM
I think it's a fine character
1d8 vs 2d6 is 4.5 vs 7 average damage
given that lets say you might have 18 strength at some point
8.5 vs 11 damage
factor in rage damage
10.5 vs 13 damage
the loss in damage becomes negligible, its a reason why I like shields with barbarians

The big loss though:
Great Weapon Master
The damage potential of this feat does hurt your build but that said most are fine without it.

Nifft
2017-09-03, 08:01 PM
Lucky is great.

Halflings are fine melee combatants, even Str-based melee.

However, I'm not sure if Berserker Barbarian is a good match for Gladiator. Battlemaster Fighter seems like a better fit.

Dankus Memakus
2017-09-04, 02:24 PM
Halfling barbarians are actually very powerful, use a battleaxe two handed or two handaxes and you have a very deadly little monster, kneecaps beware.

nickl_2000
2017-09-04, 06:33 PM
I know it isn't your build, but I've always love the idea of a raging crazy gnome or halfling wielding a sword over their head larger than they are. Have a full line of them screaming ferally and sprinting at me, I would run.

MeeposFire
2017-09-04, 09:58 PM
Halfling barbarians are actually very powerful, use a battleaxe two handed or two handaxes and you have a very deadly little monster, kneecaps beware.

I personaly would use the battle axe with a shield or dual wield. Two handed weapons without access to the feat is not worth the loss of AC or the extra instance of rage damage IMO.

GlenSmash!
2017-09-06, 10:48 AM
I personaly would use the battle axe with a shield or dual wield. Two handed weapons without access to the feat is not worth the loss of AC or the extra instance of rage damage IMO.

I'll throw my vote in for the shield. 1-Hander and shield makes for an excellent Barbarian. Grabbing Shield Master for bonus action shoves, with advantage from Rage is a great way to go.

Spacehamster
2017-09-07, 12:49 AM
Why not stat him(after racials) 14/16/16/8/10/10? Would make him better overall me thinks. :)

polymphus
2017-09-07, 12:53 AM
It's standard array. If the DM went points-buy, I'd probably go with your setup. :smallbiggrin: The campaign doesn't start for a month or two and I'm not 100 on what he has planned.