PDA

View Full Version : Hiding from blindsight

Dmdork
2017-09-03, 07:04 PM
Can you hide from something that has blindsight?

90sMusic
2017-09-03, 07:12 PM
Treat the Silence spell as if it were Invisibility to a creature with blindsight as virtually all of them use their sense of hearing to locate you.

Now if it is a creature that uses scent, there isn't much you can do.

PhantomSoul
2017-09-03, 07:22 PM
Now if it is a creature that uses scent, there isn't much you can do.

Maybe mask your smell (ex. Prestidigitation) in combination with whatever you do to Hide (ex. Darkness, Hiding). I suppose if they sense through vibrations you would have to change tactics (ex. stay still and do nothing with somatic components, use Levitate/Fly avoid ground vibrations). Definitely more likely to be DM-dependent than something like Silence or Deafen would have been.

SharkForce
2017-09-03, 07:36 PM
mostly.

darkness won't work against it, nor will completely soft concealment like a cloud of fog (well, unless you yourself are a cloud at the time, then i'd totally allow it), but actual cover should work just fine. nothing about blindsight says it eliminates cover entirely or makes it impossible to hide, so there's no reason to assume a stealth check cannot work against it, it's just harder because some things that would allow you to hide most of the time won't work against blindsight. as noted, some effects could also reasonably provide concealment even to blindsight (like silence vs a bat's echolocation) (though i would argue that a giant sphere of no sound should stick out like a sore thumb to echolocation).

in contrast, the level 14 rogue ability "blindsense" actually prevents hiding while within its radius.

Balyano
2017-09-03, 07:52 PM
If you are incorporeal I would imagine both sound and scent based blindsight would fail to detect you.

Mjolnirbear
2017-09-03, 08:00 PM
Pretty sure you can't, RAW.

Some GMs may ask a question such as how do they get blindsight, and then rule based on that. I would rule that a bat, for instance, would lose blindsight in a silence zone, but not if you were simply standing still because it's not your noise the bat is listening to.

A dragon? No. Just no. We can't even ask where it comes from and it doesn't really matter. It's a dragon. It will find you.

Gignere
2017-09-03, 08:24 PM
Blindsight only cuts through concealment not cover. For example blindsight can't penetrate a wall (extreme example).

SharkForce
2017-09-03, 08:33 PM
Pretty sure you can't, RAW.

Some GMs may ask a question such as how do they get blindsight, and then rule based on that. I would rule that a bat, for instance, would lose blindsight in a silence zone, but not if you were simply standing still because it's not your noise the bat is listening to.

A dragon? No. Just no. We can't even ask where it comes from and it doesn't really matter. It's a dragon. It will find you.

dragon blindsight comes from keen senses. says so in the blindsight description.

and no, there is nothing "RAW" that says you can't hide from blindsight. nothing in the hiding rules. nothing in the blindsight rules. you need concealment of some form to hide, and blindsight certainly interferes with many sources of concealment (you cannot, for example, hide in a fog cloud against most forms of blindsight, because the cloud only conceals you from vision, not from scent or sound, but there is nothing that says you can't hide from blindsight provided you have appropriate sources of concealment. after all, our probable source for dragons having blindsight comes from bilbo baggins in smaug's lair, and while smaug certainly was aware that someone was present somewhere, he was not at all aware of the location of bilbo. so, our probable primary source for that ability says that you absolutely *can* hide from a dragon, even one that knows you are around somewhere and is looking for you)

here (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_SRD:Blindsight) is the 5e definition of blindsight: "A creature with blindsight can perceive its surroundings without relying on sight, within a specific radius. Creatures without eyes, such as oozes, and creatures with echolocation or heightened senses, such as bats and true dragons, have this sense."

not "you cannot hide from a creature with blindsight" or "they know where everything is without fail and never need to make perception checks" or anything like that. all blindsight represents is the ability to perceive your surroundings without relying on sight. that doesn't mean you don't rely on anything, it doesn't mean you perceive everything without fail, and it certainly doesn't mean nothing can hide from you. it just means that your source of concealment is going to need to provide concealment from other senses as well.

Dmdork
2017-09-03, 10:10 PM
The whole thing seems open to interpretation. There seems to be almost no rules on it. Specific beats general, but there seems to be no specific. I guess you'll need more than sight based stuff to hide. Darkness, fog, no. Foliage, yes.