PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Time Domain

Lycan999
2017-09-03, 08:13 PM
This is my first time posting on these forums, though I've been reading them for years. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I should also note that in my personal system the classes have all been modified somewhat, so cleric domains grant an extra ability at 14th level, so please evaluate the abilities on whether they seem balanced for the levels they appear. So without further ado...

Time Domain

The gods of time are a fickle bunch, many of them being distant and out of sync with the general workings of the cosmos. To them time is not a mere linear transition from one moment to another, but a twisting and winding course barely comprehensible to the mortal mind. Clerics of these gods begin to get the smallest understanding of these cosmic secrets, and with great devotion, the smallest ability to manipulate them.

Time Domain Spells
1st- Detect Magic, Expeditious Retreat
3rd- Hold Person, Gentle Repose
5th- Haste, Slow
7th- Divination, Freedom of Movement
9th- Hold Monster, Legend Lore

Temporal Perception
When you first take this domain you become more aware of the passage of time as it flow around you. You always know exactly what time it is, and you can perfectly estimate the passage of time. Should you travel to a different plane you instantly know if there is a difference in the passage of time and the difference in rate from the prime. Furthermore, when you roll Initiative you roll twice, and you may choose which of the two rolls you use.

Mender with Time
Starting at 1st level you gain the slightest ability to manipulate time. By reversing the aging of an item you may return it to an undamaged state. Add the Mending cantrip to your list of known cantrips if you do not already have it.

Channel Divinity: Part the Mists of Time
Beginning at 2nd level you may use your channel divinity ability to grant someone glimpses into the twisting possibilities of the future. For the next three turns they gain limited perception into the possibilities of fate. For the first two they gain Advantage on everything that they do. For the last turn the visions begin to break down, and for that turn they suffer Disadvantage on everything before shrugging off the visions.

Anchor in Time
At 6th level you gain greater resistance against time manipulation. You are now immune to all forms of aging effects, and to the Slow spell and similar effects. You also slow your metabolism greatly, massively extending your life span. You now age at 1/10th the normal rate for your race, and only need to eat and drink 1/10th the normal amount.

Temporal Distortion
Starting at 8th level you may force all characters within 60ft to reroll their initiative. You may then choose which of the two rolls, this one or their previous one, they may use. Your own initiative is then set to 1. Once you end your turn the initiative starts over in the new order. You may use this ability once per long rest.

Reality Shift
At 14th level you gain the ability to reorder past events more to your liking. As a standard action you may target a single object or character within 60ft of you. The target temporally shifts to how they were at some points within 1 minute of when you used this ability. For a character this may adjust their hp, resource pool, etc. For just an object it may return it to a broken/mended state, return uses or charges, etc. The creature or object need not still exist as long as it was destroyed within 1 minute and you are within 60ft of where it was destroyed. This ability allows a Wisdom saving throw. Alternatively you may expend spells slots to extend how far back you may alter the item, according to the below chart. When you expend a spell slot in this way that spell slot becomes impossible to recover until the amount of time it allowed you to extend this ability by is reached naturally. So if you expended a 7th level spell slot to repair an artifact that was damaged 8 month ago, you may not regain that spell slot until 8 months have passed. The only limit to how many spell slots you can expend is the amount you have available. You may use this ability once per long rest, and should you use this ability on yourself you may not regain the use of reality shift from before you used it.
Additional Time per Spell Slot
1st- 5 minutes
2nd- 15 minutes
3rd- 30 minutes
4th- 1 hour
5th- 12 hours
6th- 1 day
7th- 1 month
8th- 1 year
9th- 1 decade

Tides of Time
At 17th level you master the ability to alter the ebb and flow of time in your vicinity. Add Time Stop to your list of Cleric spells. Furthermore you may, as a bonus action, initiate a time warp around yourself. This has a range of 30ft, centered on yourself and moves with you, and effects everyone in the radius with either the Slow or Haste spell, chosen by you when you initiate the effect. You are not affected by the Slow or Haste, and you cannot stop someone within the radius from being affected. This ability requires concentration, does not allow for a save, and you can use it for as many turns as you have cleric levels. You may change between Slow and Haste as a bonus action. This effect does not allow a saving throw.

All feedback appreciated!

Magikeeper
2017-09-03, 08:56 PM
Hrm, Reality Shift appears to let you or another caster cast and then regain ALL of their spent spell slots 1/Day in exchange for a low level spell.. which you also get back after a few hour(s). If those spells required any kind of sacrifices they get those back too. This is the conservative reading - you might ALSO get back your 1/LRest Reality Shift if you target yourself, in which case you never run out of spells.

It might also cause the game to grind to a screeching halt if no one remembers what the state target X was in Y time ago.

-------------

Fluff-wise.. wouldn't having an extremely slow metabolism effect reaction time and thinking in general?

Lycan999
2017-09-03, 09:15 PM
Hrm, Reality Shift appears to let you or another caster cast and then regain ALL of their spent spell slots 1/Day in exchange for a low level spell.. which you also get back after a few hour(s). If those spells required any kind of sacrifices they get those back too. This is the conservative reading - you might ALSO get back your 1/LRest Reality Shift if you target yourself, in which case you never run out of spells.

It might also cause the game to grind to a screeching halt if no one remembers what the state target X was in Y time ago.

-------------

Fluff-wise.. wouldn't having an extremely slow metabolism effect reaction time and thinking in general?

This was one of the intended possible uses of it, but you are right the time/spell slot scaling is a bit too good at the lower end, I'll think on the best way to adjust it. In regards to spell components I think I'll take out the ability to recover physical items. That loophole was certainly not intended, I'll patch that, the ability should go on cooldown after the changes take place if you use it on yourself. The last bit is mostly left up to the DM's discretion, along with some of the possibilities that the ability opens up, like what if you reverse the age of a creature to before it was born?

You are technically right, and if you have a better way to word it I am all ears, but until then I'm going to hide behind a hand-waved excuse of magic as well as point out that technically dragons should have the same issue.

JBPuffin
2017-09-03, 11:09 PM
The fact that these abilities are double-sided coins or utilitarian for the most part makes this domain particularly interesting to me. It's far less combat-oriented than most other domains, not even getting Potent Spellcasting or Divine Strike instead of the time warp ability, but I don't see anything that would break this except for the sheer possibilities of Reality Shift. Just using that might do something to many a DM's brains.

Lycan999
2017-09-04, 07:33 AM
I made some changes, still not sure about the spell level/time ratio for Reality Shift, but hopefully this is a little less abusable. Ceep the critiques coming. I have a few more domains that I have been working on that I might post later, but I was wanting to make sure I'm not doing anything glaringly stupid or imbalance first.

ravencroft0
2017-09-04, 04:02 PM
Your Time Domain calls out to the Whovian in me. This is neat. I'm surprised "Timeless Body" isn't in here somewhere.
*EDIT*Just read the fine print on your 6th level feature.*EDIT*
I'm of the school of thought that time cannot be changed. Once it has happened, that's it. It's done. Time paradoxes are something reserved for the "wish" spell, or in this case, "miracle." Sorry, ranting...

"Reality Shift" reminds me of the Keen Mind feat in that it serves the purpose of passive aggressively giving the bird to the DM. Only instead of a canary, it's a damned condor. Not that I don't like it, but the paperwork alone in keeping track of where you were at this or that time and what happened when you were there... Magikeeper said it precisely. How about a "teleportation circle" -like effect? Choose target creatures equal to your Wisdom modifier or all creatures within touch range to be instantly transported to a point of your choosing as long as it's not on a different plane? The time element needs to be in there somewhere, so maybe the target location can be anywhere you have been in the last week. Basically the same thing as Reality Shift but (hopefully) less complex. Bending the laws of space as well as time is what Reality Shift is all about, right? Keep in mind, this ability doesn't necessarily have to target friendly creatures.

And on a sappy, personal note: Thank you for putting in the effort. There are not enough people in the world who have the faculties to do what you do. So, really, thank you, Squid.

Foxydono
2017-09-09, 06:53 AM
I got a question about the 17th level ability. As I read it, it is only active for those in the sphere. So if I start my turn in a sphere effected by the slow spell, then I can move out (assuming I have the movement speed for that or some other means) and attack as normal because I am out of the slow range.

This would limit the usefulness of such a sphere because you can basically work around it. A lot of similar spells say something along the lines of 'when you start/end your turn'. You could make it zo the sphere effects everyone who starts its turn within it and is effected by the slow/haste for his or her whole turn. Not just the time within the sphere itself.

Anyway I'm just curious how you envisioned it works. And on a side note I really love your concept of a time domain. The 14th ability is strong, but a lot of fun and should be fine power wise.