PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Tap Mantle from CompPsi

thorr-kan
2017-09-03, 10:48 PM
Yes, I know CompPsi is terribly edited, and errata is lacking.

The table for the Tap Mantle feat says the mantle's powers are added to your powers known. The text says when you gain a new power known, you can choose it from this mantle's powers.

It doesn't actually say, you get to pick a new mantle. It implies that, but...

Has anyone used this feat in play, and if so, how? It seems like it and Don Mantle might be useful feats for a wilder to expand their repertoire.

Aurosman
2017-09-04, 07:52 AM
Both feats state that you may take the feat more than once and may choose a new mantle each time. I don't know what table you are looking at though so I can't see what you do. If you got a page number that would be great.

Also, neat find, might use these with my next psion.

thorr-kan
2017-09-04, 10:00 AM
Cites are always on topic.

From page 50 of CompPsi:

Feat
Prerequisites
Benefit

Tap Mantle
Access to one psionic mantle
Add mantle powers to powers known.

Text trumps tables, so the Benefit should probably read "Add mantle powers to your class's power list."

ExLibrisMortis
2017-09-04, 10:17 AM
You are correct: text trumps table, the powers go to your list, not powers known.

Luckily, the feat does say you get a new mantle, but on the first line, not under the "Benefit:" paragraph: "You gain the ability to access the powers in a new mantle". It does not technically say you get to choose said mantle, but any DM who screws with that is a jerkass.

thorr-kan
2017-09-04, 02:23 PM
Luckily, the feat does say you get a new mantle, but on the first line, not under the "Benefit:" paragraph: "You gain the ability to access the powers in a new mantle". It does not technically say you get to choose said mantle, but any DM who screws with that is a jerkass.

That's a good point, and on a reread, you're right. I guess my preconception of "Tap Mantle" having to do with, you know, the *mantle,* as opposed to its psionic powers. That's especially ironic with "Don Mantle" actually being the mantle itself.

Thanks, all.