PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying How to deal with two different werewolves

SociopathFriend
2017-09-03, 11:38 PM
So we're playing Curse of Straud and we're only a 3-man group: a Paladin of Vengeance, a Bear Totem Barbarian, and a Wild Magic Sorcerer.

Tonight we were making our merry (if starving) way to our next sidequest when we were attacked by a group of wolves. Throughout the fight we were told our normal and non-silver weapons were not hurting as much as we would expect and we also ended the fight with wounds that burned even after the Paladin healed them away.

The Barbarian (me) made a nature check and realized what exactly was happening to himself and the Paladin- the Wizard is fine.

My question is- how would two Werewolves get along when they aren't operating the same?
The Paladin intends to resist the curse, being a lawful good Paladin who doesn't want any part of an evil curse, which will cause him to lose control of himself.
The chaotic neutral Barbarian is pleased with the possibility of becoming even stronger and more a part of nature (He's not a smart Barbarian)- so he will not resist the curse and presumably will retain control.

Does this mean we're going to end up fighting all of the time?

JBPuffin
2017-09-04, 12:16 AM
So we're playing Curse of Straud and we're only a 3-man group: a Paladin of Vengeance, a Bear Totem Barbarian, and a Wild Magic Sorcerer.

Tonight we were making our merry (if starving) way to our next sidequest when we were attacked by a group of wolves. Throughout the fight we were told our normal and non-silver weapons were not hurting as much as we would expect and we also ended the fight with wounds that burned even after the Paladin healed them away.

The Barbarian (me) made a nature check and realized what exactly was happening to himself and the Paladin- the Wizard is fine.

My question is- how would two Werewolves get along when they aren't operating the same?
The Paladin intends to resist the curse, being a lawful good Paladin who doesn't want any part of an evil curse, which will cause him to lose control of himself.
The chaotic neutral Barbarian is pleased with the possibility of becoming even stronger and more a part of nature (He's not a smart Barbarian)- so he will not resist the curse and presumably will retain control.

Does this mean we're going to end up fighting all of the time?

If Pally's losing control, it's less about how to werewolves interact and how you IC react to a berserk werewolf. Outside of that, it's the same as normal PvP scenarios - the two of you should work things out with the DM. We can only provide conjecture, whereas they'll know how it will work itself out at their table.

ChampionWiggles
2017-09-04, 01:04 AM
As per what the Monster Manual says about Lycanthropy:

"By resisting the curse, a lycanthrope retains its normal alignment and personality while in humanoid form. It lives its life as it always has, burying deep the bestial urges raging inside it. However, when the full moon rises, the curse becomes too strong to resist, transforming the individual into its beast form-or into a horrible hybrid form that combines animal and humanoid traits. When the moon wanes, the beast within can be controlled once again."

And

"If the character embraces the curse, his or her alignment becomes the one defined for the lycanthrope. The DM is free to decide that a change in alignment places the character under DM control until the curse of lycanthropy is removed"

So...a lot of it honestly depends on how your DM plans to handle the situation. There's no indifference towards the curse, you either resist or embrace and it sounds like the Barbarian is embracing it. So his alignment is supposed to go to Chaotic Evil. Considering that puts him on the literal opposite of the moral spectrum as your paladin, I'd find it hard for them to not try and kill each other. Werewolves are savage predators with fiery tempers.

There's a lot of ways this could go. The paladin could think that the barbarian has embraced evil and needs to be put down. The paladin could also think that the barbarian doesn't know what he's doing in embracing the curse and vows to keep him from attacking innocents while showing mercy to the barbarian until a cure can be found. The barbarian could be convinced that the "Strength" he's getting really isn't all that great, since you get 15 STR as a werewolf and I'm assuming his is already higher. So the only benefits he'd gain are +1 AC (Which IDK if that would stack with Unarmored Defense) and immunity to non-silvered, non-magical attacks. If the barbarian discovers this, he could re-evaluate his choice.

The long and short of it is that we can't really answer that. Too much depends on how the DM plans to handle and how the characters plan to handle it. We don't know if the paladin would feel inclined to kill the barbarian or try and cure him. Depends on their relationship I guess, but considering he's Vengeance pally...

As far when you both are werewolves (which would only happen under full moon), the MM says that in the wild werewolves form packs, so you could easily argue that in wolf form the two would get along.

Koren
2017-09-04, 06:27 AM
While heavily dm dependent, depending on how the characters felt about each other as a team the Paladin could want to put up with it until he can "cure" the Barbarian. "You were misguided but you were still my friend. I want my friend back" that kind of deal. It could add a new goal for the pally or the party even.

It's almost entirely up to the DM and the group though

SociopathFriend
2017-09-04, 08:09 PM
Essentially I was wondering if there's some inner "Werewolf bro code" that would prevent them from fighting, as the Barbarian knows the Paladin is going to lose control and he's going to have to try and keep the Sorcerer alive since they need him to get out of Straud's realm.

If there's no such thing then all well and good I guess, there's just going to be a Werewolf brawl happening in camp for like, 3 nights straight... can Werewolves hurt one another?