PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts On Pokémon Games

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-03, 11:39 PM
This is just my thoughts on Pokémon games Generation 1-7 including Pokémon Go. Back when I was a teenager I was very excited to play Pokémon Red and Blue. It was fun for a while until I got bored of it because catching all 150 Pokémon is very difficult to do. I never bothered buying the other Pokémon games for many reasons. 1. They only included a few Pokémon from previous games. 2. It wasn't as fun as the first generation Pokémon games. Now on to Pokémon Go. I started to enjoy Pokémon Go because it was very fun at first then time passed I didn't get any different Pokémon because it always the same old Pokémon over and over again and on top of that the Gym battles are hard. This is what I think that Nintendo and Niantics should have done. For All the Pokémon videos they need to included every Pokémon in previous games including the Legendary Pokémon in events. And as for Pokémon Go. Make the Pokémon discover rate different for every single Pokémon. Not discover the same Pokémon repeatedly. Those are my thoughts.

Sholos
2017-09-04, 12:39 PM
Well, catching all 150 in Red or Blue (or Yellow) for that matter was literally impossible without trading, but yeah, trading was a lot harder back when you needed a link cable to do it. The other games expanded on and better balanced the combat system so that Psychic wasn't absurdly overpowered. I'll admit I didn't play past 2nd gen, but there are definitely reasons to play the other games. None are particularly difficult unless you try to be competitive.

Bartmanhomer
2017-09-04, 01:03 PM
Well, catching all 150 in Red or Blue (or Yellow) for that matter was literally impossible without trading, but yeah, trading was a lot harder back when you needed a link cable to do it. The other games expanded on and better balanced the combat system so that Psychic wasn't absurdly overpowered. I'll admit I didn't play past 2nd gen, but there are definitely reasons to play the other games. None are particularly difficult unless you try to be competitive.Yes. That's true. I brought two Game Boy plus the link cable which includes the original Pokémon Red and Blue. But I was having a very difficult time trading because the link cable wasn't working. :frown:

Psyren
2017-09-06, 10:56 AM
I was a huge fan up through Gen 3 or so, but fell out of it for several reasons:

1) JRPG combat mechanics, notably turn-based menu combat, ceased to be engaging to me as technology allowed for better mechanisms.

2) Less desire for a dedicated portable gaming device taking up pocket real estate.

3) The game's own ballooning complexity. I could go down the rabbit hole of learning about EVs, IVs, Nature, the new items and all the other mechanics added... or I could play one of the many, many new titles and franchises that have emerged since Pokemon's heyday to compete for my limited gaming time. I chose the latter. That's not a slight on Pokemon - I've given up on other once-beloved franchises for that reason too, like WoW.

POGO meanwhile is basically a completely different genre. I'm excited about it, not so much for its success as a pokemon game in its own right, but rather for what it might mean for widespread adoption of ARGs as a whole. With other companies seeing that there's real money to be made in the niche of overlaying another world on top of our mundane one, we're going to see a lot more experimentation and innovation in that space, and we all win as a result.

Red Fel
2017-09-06, 12:30 PM
POGO meanwhile is basically a completely different genre. I'm excited about it, not so much for its success as a pokemon game in its own right, but rather for what it might mean for widespread adoption of ARGs as a whole. With other companies seeing that there's real money to be made in the niche of overlaying another world on top of our mundane one, we're going to see a lot more experimentation and innovation in that space, and we all win as a result.

Very much this. I don't really think of PoGo as a Pokémon game, but rather as an AR game that happens to have Pokémon branding on it. And while I "play" it (again, "play" is a pretty loose term for a game whose "gameplay" consists of "walk around and occasionally click the thing"), I do so less out of a craving to beat the gyms and catch 'em all, and more as a novel way of interacting with the world around me. It gives me a bit of amusement when I can claim that I dominate the fountain outside of my favorite restaurant, for example. It's kind of like Foursquare, but with monsters.

And the success of PoGo will most definitely have an impact on future ARGs specifically, and AR software more generally. The problem is the sheer amount of data and server space that AR currently requires, as was demonstrated by the calamitous PoGo launch and subsequent months. There are a lot of cool ideas for AR software, game or otherwise, but people are a bit reluctant to dip into a field like that given the expense unless it can be proven profitable. Assuming PoGo does that, it opens the door to other stuff.

You ever see that commercial where you hold your phone's camera up and look out at the street, and different restaurant websites and reviews pop up in the view? We don't have that yet, but we totally should. The more AR software becomes commercially viable, the more of that we may end up getting.

So, yeah. I'm less excited about PoGo as a Pokémon game than I am about it as an ARG, and what it means for AR games and technology generally.

danzibr
2017-09-13, 06:25 AM
I'm the right age to have played Pokémon growing up when it came out, and while it seemed interesting, I just never did.

It wasn't until my son got into it that I did. Just recently I played Emerald Green and rather enjoyed it. Granted I just beat the main game. The completion in me has grown weak over the years.