PDA

View Full Version : Force Missle Mage and Casting from Wands

BRKNdevil
2017-09-03, 11:41 PM
Do their class abilities work with wands? I haven't a clue and i've been looking for an answer. Yes or No, and Why

For reference
Force Missile Mage
Had to delete link

DarkSoul
2017-09-04, 12:08 AM
No, because all the class' abilities only affect Magic Missile spells the FMM casts. You're not casting a spell out of a magical item.

Fouredged Sword
2017-09-04, 01:46 PM
Wands use all the abilities of the wand MAKER, not the wand USER. The cheat for this is to make your own wand, which should inherit all your class abilities and save DC. Note, you will need to pay extra for a higher than minimum CL version of magic missile. The maximum useful CL for magic missile is all 5 missiles costs 6,750 at market or 3,375 to make

I will let someone else on the playground double check me on this.

DarkSoul
2017-09-04, 03:43 PM
Wands use all the abilities of the wand MAKER, not the wand USER. The cheat for this is to make your own wand, which should inherit all your class abilities and save DC. Note, you will need to pay extra for a higher than minimum CL version of magic missile. The maximum useful CL for magic missile is all 5 missiles costs 6,750 at market or 3,375 to make

I will let someone else on the playground double check me on this.They don't use all the abilities. They use the spell and the creator sets the caster level of the wand if they want to; otherwise it uses the minimum caster level able to cast the spell. Once the wand is created, it doesn't care who uses it, it only goes by the parameters of the spell stored inside. Just because a FMM creates a wand of Magic Missile, that doesn't mean they get to add their class abilities to it. If wands you created inherited anything but the basic stats for the spell the Enhance Item feat (Epic Level Handbook p. 114) would have no reason to exist.

Furthermore, all the relevant abilities of the class say they only affect magic missile spells the FMM casts. Using a magical item is not casting a spell, even if you created it.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-05, 01:04 AM
Spells from staves are explicitly cast so a staff with Magic Missile on it would benefit from bonus missile and energy missile but probably not overpowering or still missile.

Also, OP, I would recommend deleting that link since that site has officially been declared by WotC to be operating illegally.