PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Feat Advice for a Changeling Rogue / Beguiler

Chester
2017-09-04, 09:26 AM
Hello,

I'm seeking feedback on my feat selection for a character I'm about to start at level 3, a Changeling Rogue 1 / Beguiler 2.

After playing a Warforged tank that just bashes things, I'm going with a more social character; a lover, not a fighter.

I'm not taking flaws. I'm less interested in power and more interested in enjoying the role playing aspect. I cheesed the flaws last time, so I'm looking for a different experience this time.

That said, I still want to take the feats that work best with the character concept.

I have chosen Quick Change for level 1, and Mastery of Twisted Shadow for level 3. But I'm not convinced. Quick Change (coupled with a shiftweave outfit) gives me the ability to blend in, to make quick escapes when things go wrong, etc. Mastery of Twisted Shadow helps keep me alive in combat situations.

However, I can also make the case for the Spell Focus: Enchantment (1) and Unsettling Enchantment (3) combo. This helps me with the social aspect of the character as well as battlefield support.

Any experience and insight is welcome. Your thoughts?

The Viscount
2017-09-04, 04:03 PM
Quick Change is an excellent feat for changelings, because it means you can do something like duck around a corner to change in a single turn.

Mastery of Twisted Shadow is a wonderful feat for a beguiler because it gives you the opportunity to hide and thus make use of cloaked casting.

Spell focus Enchantment is a fine feat, but that's a +1 to the DC of some of your spells. Being able to use mastery of twisted shadow to hide and activate cloaked casting means +1 to the DC of all of your spell, so that should take priority. I'll also mention that even at this level, immunity to some enchantment with protection from x exists, so you're best off investing in something broader.

Unsettling Enchantment is not a very good feat. -2 to AC and attacks is a fairly small penalty, and as a Beguiler you shouldn't care much about either of those. If you're into boosting spell DCs as a focus, Shadow Weave Magic is +1 DCs of enchantment and illusion, and gives you +1 on rolling against SR. It gives you that much because it technically penalizes trans and evoc (except [darkness]) but you have very few of those to penalize.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-04, 10:44 PM
Unsettling Enchantment is pretty good early on but loses its luster, especially as you are fighting the battle with mind-affecting immunity. At your level I would not recommend it.

Shadow Weave Magic is great as long as you do not make magic items.