PDA

View Full Version : Birthsigns

Edivad
2007-08-12, 06:13 AM
Here's another idea I just had, to make characters, especially low-level ones, more customizable.
What about giving starting characters starting birthsigns with some in-game effects, much like in Morrowind and ADoM?

before anyone asks: No, I don't actually BELIEVE in astrology or the like. I think it's just made-up New age things...however, I thought it would be interesting for a fantasy game.

My idea was this: characters would have a birthsign based on the character date of birth in the game, or perhaps just on what stars/constellations were more "powerful"or visible during his birth, if you want to have more birthsigns than months. However, not everyone would be really influenced by the sign - the power of the stars and its influence isn't constant - only some relatively rare people would show the typical charateristics of their sign, and the appropriate in-game benefits and drawbacks.
For example, three character might be born on the same day, yet only two of them might be really influenced by the stars(and perhaps by different constellations/stars) and have the appropriate modifiers, while the third one would, at best, show only a slight influence, and the traits connected to his sign would be weak at best. Or just not strong enough to warrant a penalty or bonus.

This means that, during character creation, players would have to choose whetever their character was influenced by the stars or not. If they choose yes, then they get both the bonuses and drawbacks of the sign.
However, I was planning to allow them to pick up a 1st-level only feat to negate the drawbacks and only get the bonuses.

What do you think of this idea? Also, if you like it, any clue on some constellations and birthsigns we could use?
Obviously, it would vary on the game world. I think a good start would be "statting"the birthsings of the real world - both the Western ones(Lion, Virgo, Crab)and the Oriental ones(Pig, Rat...).

And then perhaps we can make birthsigns for actually existing constellations that aren't part of the Zodiac in the real world - like the Dog.

Here's just an example - I still have to think about the drawbacks and penalties:

The Scorpion[Birthsign]
Character Traits: Secretive, determined, complex, analytical, ambitious, cunning, suspicious
Bonuses:+1 to Will saves, +2 to Bluff and Sense motive
Penalties: ???

Triaxx
2007-08-12, 07:06 AM
Complex and Analytical suggests a penalty to Initiative and a reflex penalty?

Falconsflight
2007-08-12, 07:09 AM
NOTE: This is going to be a rambling conjunction of ideas. I'm just going to start spewing out concepts for your idea.

He he... I want to see the stats for "The Big Dipper"

Also, Constellations are more of a monthly thing, So going by date just seems to small, and not fitting with the theme that most people use.

See, my only problem with this idea is that it only fits into the "You are the chosen ones who are going to save this world" Otherwise, everyone should get the same stuff equally. Like Clerics who ask for a gods favor. They will recieve the almost all the same spells as the cleric two towns over.

Now if you want weakened or greatened signs. You could feat it out. At 1st level you could take a feat to gain the benifits of your birthsign. At 3rd level, you take a feat to increase these benefits, etc, etc.

Also, a good idea to weave this into DnD, is to make as many birthsigns as there are gods - then assign a birthsign to a god. Then, if you were born under Pelor's birthsign, It would be seen as a sign that you should serve Pelor, etc etc. Now considering that , at most times, there are more than one constellation on your birth year, you still have a variety. And I would highly suggest not putting Pelor and some Evil god in the same month. Otherwise, it would just be wierd.

Or, if your playing a low magic campaign, you can use Birthsigns as a stand in-ish thing for gods. While Gods would have granted magical powers, Birthsigns only grant bonuses. You can give each sign a favored weapon and everything.

Also, you'd think the scorpian would give a +1 Fort save, Considering the whole poisoning thing. But You could give that to the snake instead.

Another good idea, if you want to consider it, would be to have an extra bonus when your birthsign's month/day comes around. For example. During the month of the scorpian you could give the player a poison attack or a sneak attack thing.

If you want to make your own - Please be sure to include a "How this became a constellation" story. Becuase a lot of constellations around nowadays have a story associated with them. Just so everyone is sure, this isn't - "So the random planets aligned and from very far away kind of shape a person." It is, instead, "And John was such a stupid man, that the gods immortalized him within the stars, as a warning to others."

As for Character Traits - Do the players have to follow them? Or is it a general guideline? Does a person born under the scorpian have all those traits, or does he have just a couple. Can he have none?

Edivad
2007-08-12, 07:31 AM
See, my only problem with this idea is that it only fits into the "You are the chosen ones who are going to save this world" Otherwise, everyone should get the same stuff equally. Like Clerics who ask for a gods favor. They will recieve the almost all the same spells as the cleric two towns over.

That's why I said that not EVERYONE would get them...only special people who were influenced by the powers that be or by fate would gain the appropriate modifiers. Yes, chosen ones and PCs would probably be likely to have a "significant"birthsigns. But you could still find a rare Commoner or not-so-rare Noble who has a "strong"birthsign with the appropriate modifers.

Now if you want weakened or greatened signs. You could feat it out. At 1st level you could take a feat to gain the benifits of your birthsign. At 3rd level, you take a feat to increase these benefits, etc, etc.

Not a bad idea. Actually, it's a GOOD idea. But I would place limits on it. Easiest thing is that, at a certain level, you can pick a feat that basically gives you TWICE the benefits, and then if you pick it again you get THRICE the benefits. That's the cap, however.

Also, a good idea to weave this into DnD, is to make as many birthsigns as there are gods - then assign a birthsign to a god. Then, if you were born under Pelor's birthsign, It would be seen as a sign that you should serve Pelor, etc etc. Now considering that , at most times, there are more than one constellation on your birth year, you still have a variety. And I would highly suggest not putting Pelor and some Evil god in the same month. Otherwise, it would just be wierd.

Yes, the same month would offer different constellations...perhaps there could be a nature-themed month, a water-themed month and so on?
Also, linking some birthsigns to gods is ok, but that's not really what I was looking to, though some specific gods could have their specific constellations.
It's not really a "favored by the gods"thing, but more "influenced by the stars". I do want to have more birthsigns than months.

Another good idea, if you want to consider it, would be to have an extra bonus when your birthsign's month/day comes around. For example. During the month of the scorpian you could give the player a poison attack or a sneak attack thing.

Another good idea. Again, the easiest thing to do is to either decide for a special bonus you get for every sign - like poison attack for the Scorpio - or just make that you get DOUBLE the bonuses and penalties on your birthday. The power of your sign is particularly strong on that day!

If you want to make your own - Please be sure to include a "How this became a constellation" story. Becuase a lot of constellations around nowadays have a story associated with them. Just so everyone is sure, this isn't - "So the random planets aligned and from very far away kind of shape a person." It is, instead, "And John was such a stupid man, that the gods immortalized him within the stars, as a warning to others."

There's lots of myths and legends of great heroes and villains and monsters...so it's easy to make up stories for how some things became constellations.

As for Character Traits - Do the players have to follow them? Or is it a general guideline? Does a person born under the scorpian have all those traits, or does he have just a couple. Can he have none?
A general guideline, of course. Though, as I wrote, people who have a "strong"birthsign - that is, the ones that are actually influenced by it so they have the bonuses and penalties would be expected to have at least a few of those traits.

Malik
2007-08-12, 07:48 AM
i remember reading something like this in a dragon issue (or was it dungeon, im sure its dragon, anyway) i had, will have to dig it out and let you know what number.

DraPrime
2007-08-12, 08:41 AM
This seems to be very similar to dragon marks from Eberron. My main recommendation is that you read through the Eberron Campaign Setting for some ideas on this.

adanedhel9
2007-08-12, 10:12 AM
I like the concept, and it immediately got my homebrew gears turning. But unless I had ideas for feats and/or prestige classes (which I don't), I would just go with the existing traits system from Unearthed Arcana.

BelkarIsAGod
2007-08-12, 04:46 PM
Complex and Analytical suggests a penalty to Initiative and a reflex penalty?

But there is also suspicious, so they would always be on their guard.

Xefas
2007-08-12, 05:06 PM
i remember reading something like this in a dragon issue (or was it dungeon, im sure its dragon, anyway) i had, will have to dig it out and let you know what number.

You may be thinking of the feats in Dragon #340.

Born Under a Crescent Moon
Born Under a Gibbous Moon
Born Under a High Sun
Born Under a Rising Sun
Born Under a Setting Sun
Born Under the Full Moon
Born Under the Half Moon
Born Under the New Moon

All of which can only be taken at 1st level, are exclusive to one another, and grant small benefits.